Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

A quick question: how exactly Project Nevada (except the equipments module, which I've read about creating duplicates), JSawyer, CCO and Puce Moose's mods interact with the Fallout 3 portion of TTW? It's been years since I played through F3 and I'm thinking about giving it another go, but I don't think I can go back to the old mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

VisAbsoluta posted:

A quick question: how exactly Project Nevada (except the equipments module, which I've read about creating duplicates), JSawyer, CCO and Puce Moose's mods interact with the Fallout 3 portion of TTW? It's been years since I played through F3 and I'm thinking about giving it another go, but I don't think I can go back to the old mechanics.

I am playing with TTW, PN, and JSawyer at the moment. You will get the changes to most every food in the CW, you will get expired stimpaks, CW armors (and seemingly ones that appears in both games, when they appear in CW) will not have DR on them, all of the PN core features seem to work so far (no DR/DT without helmet, sprinting, bullet time, etc.) in CW, visors and borders work for some CW armors (no for Vault 101 security armor, yes for Environment Suit). Explosive entry also seems to work. Any other specific questions, ask away.

e: the increased explosive damage and AoE of JSawyer and the explosive knockdown of PN make the frag grenades in CW one shot kills against all the human enemies I've fought so far. Feels good.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 27, 2013

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM
I'm having trouble downloading WMX from the nexus link in the OP, is there some other location to get the mod or am I just poo poo out of luck? It spit back a "file not found with this ID" error, same with WME.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Apparently this is a widespread problem, there's some post about something-something Nexus file manager beta something something. I didn't read it too carefully but it's not just WMX.

Also - is there a way to export a player model? Like I have a character with a particular face/hair/build etc all that and while I could just use a level 1 save, is there a way I can export the character and then import it into another save somehow? That seems kind of ludicrously complicated, I know, but I'm just wondering if L1 saves are the only effective way to take a character from one build of NV with one set of mods into another.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm getting back into this again after not playing for almost two years. I'm surprised to see that the OP looks very similar to how it did when I played last, despite being recently updated. All the best mods continue to be the best mods I guess. One thing I noticed was people seem to be using multiple 'overhaul' mods (Project Nevada, JSawyer, CCO Puce Moose). I take it those all work together just fine now? I'm pretty sure last time I played JSawyer wasn't very compatible with other mods.

The other thing I was going to ask is, is there generally a recommended level to do each DLC? I know they can scale to whatever level you happen to be, but I remember they seemed to work better at certain levels? (i.e. doing Old World Blues at a really high level made those awful dogs into awful bullet sponge dogs) Particularly the last DLC, which I still haven't played.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Sometimes APEX nails it,

And then sometimes it's wonky as gently caress.

A) My dude is white von whitey. B) That distance terrain discoloration is only with it turned on.

But then it nails it again and I put up with it for another hour.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I have a problem with the shadows on the wall in that first screenshot. I've used Apex and that sort of thing is why I uninstalled it. You can take photos where the light looks that way in real life, but my eyes have never in real life adjusted to bright light to the extent that a surface in the shade was pitch black during the day. I tend to think of the camera in a game as my character's eyes, not a camera. The one scene that was finally too much for me is in freeside, one of the larger buildings was just completely blacked out on one side at like 3PM.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 29, 2013

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Yeah, I can understand that. My computer is basically old as hell, so I often run with most of the fancy things turned off, then just re-activate them when I want to. This coupled with the fact that I see the game camera as a camera means it gets to stay around for another couple of days, at least.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, APEX is harsh as poo poo sometimes in ways that are ridiculous, but what I like is that it's striking looking. I've played enough NV with enough ENBs to like this one for just being different. And like Hotwire says, sometimes it just nails the look.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Psion posted:

Apparently this is a widespread problem, there's some post about something-something Nexus file manager beta something something. I didn't read it too carefully but it's not just WMX.

Also - is there a way to export a player model? Like I have a character with a particular face/hair/build etc all that and while I could just use a level 1 save, is there a way I can export the character and then import it into another save somehow? That seems kind of ludicrously complicated, I know, but I'm just wondering if L1 saves are the only effective way to take a character from one build of NV with one set of mods into another.

I know Wrye Bash could do that in oblivion, but I'm not sure if Wrye Flash has the same feature. Check the saves tab, right-click on a save file.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm getting back into this again after not playing for almost two years. I'm surprised to see that the OP looks very similar to how it did when I played last, despite being recently updated. All the best mods continue to be the best mods I guess. One thing I noticed was people seem to be using multiple 'overhaul' mods (Project Nevada, JSawyer, CCO Puce Moose). I take it those all work together just fine now? I'm pretty sure last time I played JSawyer wasn't very compatible with other mods.

The other thing I was going to ask is, is there generally a recommended level to do each DLC? I know they can scale to whatever level you happen to be, but I remember they seemed to work better at certain levels? (i.e. doing Old World Blues at a really high level made those awful dogs into awful bullet sponge dogs) Particularly the last DLC, which I still haven't played.

Short answer: A lot of the bigger overhauls still step on each others' toes, but nowadays many have compatibility patches that help minimize conflicts. For example, when used with JSawyer, CCO has an in-game "token" that you can use to select whether you want JSawyer or CCO settings for specific variables that both mods touch upon.

In general, overhaul conflicts can be annoying, but are generally benign: Things like one overhaul wanting to change the price of a Nuka-cola, but then a second overhaul changing it to a different price. Sometimes these "conflicts" can result in unexpected exploits, because one overhaul doesn't anticipate an item being so common, or (in)expensive, or potent. Because of this reason, your load order still plays an important role when trying to get 2 or 3 overhauls to result in the game you want. The best thing you can do is use the compatibility patches (when provided), and open your load order in FNVEdit so you can see where conflicts exist, and whether or not you're okay with those conflicts. I use parts of Puce Moose's Tweaks, JSawyer, and CCO (and even the "core" module of Project Nevada) in my load order, but I've also opened everything up in FNVEdit so that I could change settings to smooth things over between the mods.

JSawyer's still one of the most stubborn overhauls, if only because it's packaged as a single plugin that can only be customized with editors like GECK or FNVEdit. By comparison, overhauls like Puce Moose's suite, CCO, and PN are highly customizable, being separated into multiple plugins and/or having Mod Configuration Menu support.

As far as the recommended level to play DLC at, it's difficult to say. If you end up running with something like JSawyer, CCO, or Puce Moose, the answer is going to change, since they meddle with things like NPC health settings. By default, I've found that playing DLC at a lower level makes the "sponginess" of enemies more tolerable, but then you aren't qualified for many of the skill checks. This is the typical summary for DLC if you're just playing vanilla.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Finally got a simultaneous auto + quick save corruption. I always knew it was technically possible, but in all the hundreds of hours I've played this game I never could be bothered to install CASM. I guess I will now.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Seashell Salesman posted:

Finally got a simultaneous auto + quick save corruption. I always knew it was technically possible, but in all the hundreds of hours I've played this game I never could be bothered to install CASM. I guess I will now.

It'll always happen at a lovely time, too!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Chronojam posted:

It'll always happen at a lovely time, too!

Very first time playing the FO3 DLC (using Tale of Two Wastelands), last manual save was before entering VR chamber in Operation Anchorage, got savegame corruption after finishing it and dragging all of the loot out of the bunker.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I installed Blackout's ENB preset and now my guns are translucent in first person and when I was fighting Fiends, they appeared pink until I killed them, at which point they reverted to their normal colors. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it? The Omegared mod does NOT fix the gun translucency. It's especially important for me because my character is built around rifle marksmanship so I'm looking down the iron sights a LOT (gently caress scopes, open sights 4 lyfe :colbert:).

But drat if it don't look purty:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 2, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is no way to fix either of those things as of the latest ENB update! :toot:

edit: or, at least, there wasn't last time I checked. You might want to look for a new transparency fix for yourself.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So do I need to roll back to 0.150 or something?

EDIT: The pink glowing enemies is Boone's perk. I'm firing him right now. :saddowns:

gently caress, at least put brackets on them instead of making me think I just got a new and horrible graphics bug.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 2, 2013

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Do you have to choose either WME or WMX still? I remember those being not compatible, but there's no mention in either download page one way or the other.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Do you have to choose either WME or WMX still? I remember those being not compatible, but there's no mention in either download page one way or the other.
Yes, they're incompatible. Both mod are weaponmod overhauls and edit the same records. If you instal both then a weapon will only get the weaponmod from the mod you load last.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 2, 2013

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Is there a mod like that adds IWS-like patrols to the game without IWS? IWS was making my game poo poo itself every time I headed to Fiend territory so I uninstalled it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

So do I need to roll back to 0.150 or something?

EDIT: The pink glowing enemies is Boone's perk. I'm firing him right now. :saddowns:

gently caress, at least put brackets on them instead of making me think I just got a new and horrible graphics bug.

Did you just miss the big ol' tutorial box that popped up when you recruited Boon describing his Companion Perk or do you just have a real bad imagination when it comes to thinking about what "HE MARKS YOUR TARGETS FOR EASIER AIMING" means.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I assumed there would be UI markers like brackets or arrows rather than making enemies glow hot pink, you know, like in pretty much every game that highlights enemies.

And then because there was a few days (real time) I spent between recruiting him and picking the game back up to go kill somebody, I forgot about his perk altogether. :downs:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I assumed there would be UI markers like brackets or arrows rather than making enemies glow hot pink, you know, like in pretty much every game that highlights enemies.

And then because there was a few days (real time) I spent between recruiting him and picking the game back up to go kill somebody, I forgot about his perk altogether. :downs:

Well don't recruit Rex then, you might uninstall the game and defrag your computer because items are suddenly glowing green when you zoom in. :ohdear:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Is there no NV mod which extends the character creation sliders?

I want to make the ugliest evil person in the world, but the existing sliders only go so far. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So what's the problem?

edit: (the joke is that character creation in bethsoft engine games is abhorrent :thejoke:)

I don't know of any slider unlocker mods, sorry. :(

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Imapanda posted:

Is there no NV mod which extends the character creation sliders?

I want to make the ugliest evil person in the world, but the existing sliders only go so far. :(

The in-game sliders are capped, but you can use this as an excuse to familiarize yourself with the GECK. You can create a new NPC and edit the appearance (using the unlocked GECK sliders) then check the box labeled "Is CharGen Face Preset." When you start the game, your freakish abomination will be available as a preset under it's race.

You can also make your new preset by duplicating an existing NPC who already has the look you want.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Set nose slider to maximum, make as grizzly as gently caress and add a cool hairdo. Play in first person.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Set nose slider to maximum, make as grizzly as gently caress and add a cool hairdo. Play in first person.

Even if you played in third person the chances are that ~25% into the game you will start wearing closed helmets and never see your face ever again.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Even if you played in third person the chances are that ~25% into the game you will start wearing closed helmets and never see your face ever again.

Look at this scrub who doesn't play with the Signature Armour mod.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Oh I'm aware of the signature armor and weapon mods. When I want to run through the game in Pre-War Relaxed Wear I just mitigate damage the way God intended-- Med-X and "not getting shot so much."

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

You could just wear armor without the helmet. +2 DT is really not worth caring about if you're already wearing Elite Riot Armor.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

you will start wearing the 1st Recon beret in the field and you should still take off your hat indoors like a civilized human being.

I went ahead and fixed what was wrong with your keyboard.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The FO3 DLC are really unbalanced in TTW with JSawyer and PN installed. I have never played any of them in FO3 but I have to imagine that they are much smoother without the NV overhauls on top. The escape at the start of Mothership Zeta is almost impossible, the enemies in Point Lookout are just totally nightmarish, and in both Zeta and Anchorage the biggest challenge is just staying hydrated. The Pitt felt very functional in TTW but I think that DLC has some other non-balance-related problems.

The one thing that has been most surprising is how many game breaking bugs I have encountered in the FO3 DLC. Not for the reason you might expect (New Vegas/Tale of Two Wastelands), though. I've looked each of these bugs up and every single one is a verified bug for the DLC on vanilla FO3. I have had to fix myself up in the console or by repeatedly reverting to CASM saves multiple times in Anchorage and Zeta when whole quest chains got skipped and left me stranded in script-limbo.

I've heard so many people complain that NV was buggier than FO3 but I've never had a single game breaking bug in any of the NV DLC or the base game (except corrupted saves, which applies to both equally).

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The FO3 DLC are really unbalanced in TTW with JSawyer and PN installed. I have never played any of them in FO3 but I have to imagine that they are much smoother without the NV overhauls on top. The escape at the start of Mothership Zeta is almost impossible, the enemies in Point Lookout are just totally nightmarish, and in both Zeta and Anchorage the biggest challenge is just staying hydrated. The Pitt felt very functional in TTW but I think that DLC has some other non-balance-related problems.

The one thing that has been most surprising is how many game breaking bugs I have encountered in the FO3 DLC. Not for the reason you might expect (New Vegas/Tale of Two Wastelands), though. I've looked each of these bugs up and every single one is a verified bug for the DLC on vanilla FO3. I have had to fix myself up in the console or by repeatedly reverting to CASM saves multiple times in Anchorage and Zeta when whole quest chains got skipped and left me stranded in script-limbo.

I've heard so many people complain that NV was buggier than FO3 but I've never had a single game breaking bug in any of the NV DLC or the base game (except corrupted saves, which applies to both equally).

Thanks, this is good to know! Perhaps I will play Fallout 3 via TTW with no other mods then, and save the overhauls for New Vegas proper, since things like the hillbillies in Point Lookout already are quite terrible in the vanilla game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

It's definitely hard to prove, but my personal experience is the same: Both games were buggy, but long after the patches settled and the mods were updated, FO3 remained significantly buggier than NV. Both still occasionally crash regardless of how polished or limited my load order is, but FO3 persists in being a bigger pain in the dick. I've got 60 plugins or so on NV and I only CTD about once every 4 hours or so; running a similar loadout in FO3 (FWE, MMM, WME, etc.) probably crashed an average of once every 60-90 minutes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've found New Vegas much stabler and just better put together than FO3. FO3 runs terribly on my computer in most resolutions and the one it runs best in (1440x810 fullscreen) leads to numerous rendering errors, some of which make the game unplayable (1280x800 actually runs slower but at least it renders correctly). New Vegas, on the other hand, runs just fine in 1920x1080 with all the settings cranked up and a heavyweight ENB setup. Also for me the Fort Independence quest broke and I have to use noclip to turn my tech loot in to Protector Casidin.

It doesn't help that FO3 is an inferior game in most other respects as well. The supply drought at low levels is incredibly frustrating.

If anyone wants some more New Vegas weapon mods, I highly recommend the Ruger Mini-14. It's a very nicely modeled and textured weapon with its own set of weapon mods, is added to all the leveled and vendor lists (so you will see it on enemies and in shops), and is balanced very nicely for the early- to mid-game. After around level 15 though it starts to become a bit underpowered.

Also, do you love the M1 Garand? Sure ya do! (If you don't, you're a communist. :colbert:) This mod fixes This Machine's mesh so it's closer to the Garand and actually has room for a functional receiver and magazine, AND fixes the sights so they actually line up on the target. This mod retextures it with some really nice furniture instead of looking like its stock is made from orange particle board. They don't change any of the stats and can be used together.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 4, 2013

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How long does TTW takes to install, more or less? The FAQ says "a long time" and states that "it will look like it crashed a few times", but since it does crash for lots of people, I'm wondering how much should I wait before giving up.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

How long does TTW takes to install, more or less? The FAQ says "a long time" and states that "it will look like it crashed a few times", but since it does crash for lots of people, I'm wondering how much should I wait before giving up.

It's pretty painful in general and takes ages. I had to do the extraction/conversion process multiple times to get it right, took hours. I strongly recommend archiving and keeping the output when you get it right one time, that way you won't have to do it again at least until a new version of TTW (maybe not even then depending on what they update).

Woolie Wool posted:

If anyone wants some more New Vegas weapon mods, I highly recommend the Ruger Mini-14. It's a very nicely modeled and textured weapon with its own set of weapon mods, is added to all the leveled and vendor lists (so you will see it on enemies and in shops), and is balanced very nicely for the early- to mid-game. After around level 15 though it starts to become a bit underpowered.

I really love the Varmint Rifle and I always thought of it like a Mini-14 (which I also love), thank you for this! If you use the Ratslayer just a modded one with a silencer and a scope it can kill non-robotic enemies with stealth headshots way past the teens and twenties, maybe up to the level cap. Anything that increases your (guaranteed!) critical damage will increase its longevity, like Better Criticals. AP ammo is a good choice against humans. PN with the feature to require helmets for head DT will also make this more fun, and then you only need to use AP ammo against people wearing helmets.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

At least with Zeta, you can bring water (lots of water, since Zeta is long enough to overstay its welcome and it's pretty awful to begin with) with you into the DLC, since you get your gear back pretty early. Anchorage pretty much requires a speed-run or you'll die of starvation/dehydration. I don't think I've had much of a problem with Point Lookout, but I just use Project Nevada - Extra Options with the FWE preset for difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

What are some good lore-friendly armor/outfit collections? I liked some stuff in Spice of Life but ended up dropping it because I hated using the custom body mods that made all the female characters look weird (and even with them there still was a good deal of clipping/buggy get ups).