Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Medullah posted:

Are there any good 3rd party alternatives to the $11 a month insurance for the Note 4 out there? I was tempted to get it, but the salesperson I'm on hold with (25 minutes now) for Telesales has been beyond pushy on it so I'm not going to get it.

If you just want damage coverage you can pay $99 one time for the Samsung Mobile Protection:

http://www.samsung.com/us/owners/protection-plus/mobile-elite/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

I feel like I'm slumming in this thread as a former Sprint user currently on T-mobile. I want to rescue you all from the incompetent clutches of sprint and set you free in the land of milk and honey that is the t-mobile dork plan. Its even better than the original sero plan since t-mobile has better coverage (at least for me) than sprint ever did or ever will.

If I can ditch Sprint for someone else that will give me what I have right now for $25 a month, I would do it. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FordPRefectLL posted:

If you just want damage coverage you can pay $99 one time for the Samsung Mobile Protection:

http://www.samsung.com/us/owners/protection-plus/mobile-elite/

I see this and I also see the SquareTrade warranties - what's the consensus on them? Got a friend telling me they're the king poo poo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I've used Squaretrade for a tablet and when I broke it they just gave me a check for the full retail price.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

FordPRefectLL posted:

I've used Squaretrade for a tablet and when I broke it they just gave me a check for the full retail price.

They are great for that. I usually only buy most of my electronics when they are cheap, but get the insurance value for what amazon typically has listed for the crossed out price.

A good example was a bluetooth speaker from bestbuy that was valued at 99 originally, but with the clearance price and store credit it cost me 10$

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Call your home or renter's insurer to see if personal electronics are covered. You may be able to purchase a rider to cover loss, theft, and damage for less than Assurion, SquareTrade, or AppleCare+ cost.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

I feel like I'm slumming in this thread as a former Sprint user currently on T-mobile. I want to rescue you all from the incompetent clutches of sprint and set you free in the land of milk and honey that is the t-mobile dork plan. Its even better than the original sero plan since t-mobile has better coverage (at least for me) than sprint ever did or ever will.

Only four more months until I can dump my line ETF-free. Nerd plan with either a OnePlusOne or a Nexus 6.

FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde
Anyone happen to know if you can call Sprint to activate a new phone for a line that's part of a business / corporate plan? My wife brought her old S2 over to a line her employer provides a while back and I'm wondering if I gift her a new one if she would be able to activate it herself or would need to go through the employer.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm thinking of picking up a Note 4, but I don't have an upgrade available until September. I spent an excruciating amount of time chatting with an online rep and not really getting anywhere, so I figured I'd ask here--

If I want to do Easy Pay, can I put, say 50% down up front and cut the monthly payment in half? The Note 4 is $30/mo on Easy Pay with 0 down (and I have good enough credit that I would likely qualify for that). I don't want to my bill to increase by $30/mo, though. $15/mo would be more manageable.

If I paid $360 up front, would I have:
a) A $30/month Easy Pay charge for the next 12 months instead of 24, or
b) A $15/month Easy Pay charge for the next 24 months

I want (b), but it's not clear to me if that's an option.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

brc64 posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a Note 4, but I don't have an upgrade available until September. I spent an excruciating amount of time chatting with an online rep and not really getting anywhere, so I figured I'd ask here--

If I want to do Easy Pay, can I put, say 50% down up front and cut the monthly payment in half? The Note 4 is $30/mo on Easy Pay with 0 down (and I have good enough credit that I would likely qualify for that). I don't want to my bill to increase by $30/mo, though. $15/mo would be more manageable.

I'm 90% sure it's option a. The payment stays the same you'll just pay the phone off sooner.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Holy poo poo, I've been with Sprint for like 8 years, since I got my first cell. Bill is way too high for how little I use it and after the most frustrating CS experience of my life I've decided to give Sprint the same "gently caress you" they gave me. Came across Ting, looks like they'd piggy back off the same lovely network but their service sounds almost too good to be true, considering past treatment regarding cell bills. Being billed for my actual useage sounds sweet and the woman at Ting, based off the rough figures of useage I gave, figures my bill would be round 30 bucks a month, which is about what I want and can afford. Sprint won't let you have just a data plan, they also won't let you not have a data plan. Not sure if this is even a good place for my post, just curious if any ex-Sprinters had any advice. Ting will also pay 50% of my cancellation fee if I switch in the next few days.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been with Sprint for like 8 years, since I got my first cell. Bill is way too high for how little I use it and after the most frustrating CS experience of my life I've decided to give Sprint the same "gently caress you" they gave me. Came across Ting, looks like they'd piggy back off the same lovely network but their service sounds almost too good to be true, considering past treatment regarding cell bills. Being billed for my actual useage sounds sweet and the woman at Ting, based off the rough figures of useage I gave, figures my bill would be round 30 bucks a month, which is about what I want and can afford. Sprint won't let you have just a data plan, they also won't let you not have a data plan. Not sure if this is even a good place for my post, just curious if any ex-Sprinters had any advice. Ting will also pay 50% of my cancellation fee if I switch in the next few days.

I think you explained the frustration of many of the ex users of this thread. For a long time this thread was just discussions of people talking about leaving Sprint for ATT/Verizon, but that's mostly quieted down.

TING is what you think it is and a great deal for low usage users but keep in mind the data can get expensive real quick.

If you happen to be exploring low cost plans come on over to the prepaid thread, many of us are using the Tmobile dork plan, but there's lots of options for low usage users.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thank you, I'll check it out. I was so goddamn frustrated earlier and I'm not really an angry dude. Looking at these others options, though, I feel like someone leaving their abusive spouse and is starting to realize I didn't deserve that hahaha. I work in CS myself so I was really floored by how uncaring Sprint's reps were. Folks do not give a gently caress.

I'm pretty sure I'm a very low useage user, I'm at home on wifi, and trying to sort poo poo out with Sprint today was the most I've used the phone in a while. Also lol @ Sprint's data prices, the only thing they could do to lower my bill at all was basically cancel my insurance, and lower my unlimited data to 1gig. What's the math on that per gig, there? 20 bucks for the first gig, but after that they get infinitely cheaper for each additional gig hahaha. Wish I was getting paid sooner, I'm scared I might end up paying Sprint for another drat month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

My advice as an ex sprinter is to tell you to switch the hell away from sprint.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint Megathread: Why are you still using Sprint? The other threads are over there.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Thank you, I'll check it out. I was so goddamn frustrated earlier and I'm not really an angry dude. Looking at these others options, though, I feel like someone leaving their abusive spouse and is starting to realize I didn't deserve that hahaha. I work in CS myself so I was really floored by how uncaring Sprint's reps were. Folks do not give a gently caress.

I'm pretty sure I'm a very low useage user, I'm at home on wifi, and trying to sort poo poo out with Sprint today was the most I've used the phone in a while. Also lol @ Sprint's data prices, the only thing they could do to lower my bill at all was basically cancel my insurance, and lower my unlimited data to 1gig. What's the math on that per gig, there? 20 bucks for the first gig, but after that they get infinitely cheaper for each additional gig hahaha. Wish I was getting paid sooner, I'm scared I might end up paying Sprint for another drat month.

It's pretty easy to get your data/cell usage history on the Sprint account page, then use those numbers to see what you'd be paying on Ting using their calculator. I'm planning on making the switch soon as I'll save a bunch, luckily Sprint's coverage is still working out great for me in Portland - especially at work where my co-workers on T-Mo and Verizon have to find the perfect spot in certain hallways in order to make a call. I hadn't really been following this thread or Sprint talk elsewhere on the net for the past few years and had no idea people generally aren't happy with them any more.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Biodome posted:

brc64 posted:

I'm 90% sure it's option a. The payment stays the same you'll just pay the phone off sooner.
In that case, just take that $360 chunk of cash and put small pieces of it (like $15 pieces) towards the bill every month. It's the same!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

brc64 posted:

Sprint Megathread: Why are you still using Sprint? The other threads are over there.

Someone make this happen.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Who did you end up with and what do you pay?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rock2much posted:

Who did you end up with and what do you pay?

I work for AT&T so them, and I get 50% off which is sweet.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I looked around and sprint is still cheaper for me by quite a bit. Also service is pretty good where I live so que sera sera.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Duckman: nice
Lorne: same boat. I get 22% off with Sprint or VZW but I think my bill would still be $96

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I pay $58 after fees and taxes for unlimited data and 500 minutes with an IPhone...I haven't found anything touching that and I've looked. For the last couple of years, service was absolutly terrible as they were upgrading, but I'm getting pretty good now, so I feel like I earned this.,

Looking through my speedtest results, two years ago 21K/49K which was average (20-40) and terrible. One year ago 515K/100K, which is better, but still slow.

Today 2679K/759K. It's like night and day. If it didn't improve, I would have left.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
I got my Nexus 6 (upgraded from EVO 3D) in November, and my experience with the service is hugely improved. The LTE coverage here in Seattle is pretty great, I have seen 30mbps down in a lot of different places. There are still areas where the service drops out for a few seconds, but it's nothing like when I was only able to get 3G with my old phone (because even though it was a "4G" phone, WiMax sucked hard).

I am happy with my service at the moment, unlimited data + LTE = I can actually use it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cruseydr posted:

I got my Nexus 6 (upgraded from EVO 3D) in November, and my experience with the service is hugely improved. The LTE coverage here in Seattle is pretty great, I have seen 30mbps down in a lot of different places. There are still areas where the service drops out for a few seconds, but it's nothing like when I was only able to get 3G with my old phone (because even though it was a "4G" phone, WiMax sucked hard).

I am happy with my service at the moment, unlimited data + LTE = I can actually use it.

That's a huge improvement, then. When I switched to T-Mobile back in late 2013, their 3G was faster here than Sprint's LTE, so even though there was LTE coverage around, it was pretty much useless.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 6, 2015

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Are there any new plans out that are good deals? I'm considering a Nexus 6, and currently have unlimited data+some number of minutes for 2 lines at $150 total a month after fees. Unlimited data is a requirement.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, T-Mobile has a promotion for $100 for unlimited everything for 2 lines, good deal if you're providing your own phone like the Nexus 6 and you don't have to keep using Sprint!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Yeah, T-Mobile has a promotion for $100 for unlimited everything for 2 lines, good deal if you're providing your own phone like the Nexus 6 and you don't have to keep using Sprint!

Seconding this. T-Mobile is by far better than Sprint in every way.

I also believe the 3rd or more lines are only $40 each, so you save even more with a larger plan. I think the limit is 10.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 6, 2015

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Jumped to AT&T a month ago - pay $115 per month (would be 135 without the FAN discount) for unlimited talk, text, and 10 gigs of data for two devices (one Nexus 5, and one hotspot). AT&T has been a huge step up service wise - I live in Eastern Carolina and even with 800 LTE and voice, service was still spotty.

Couldn't be happier. Costs more, but at least it works.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Any ideas what the System Update is that was pushed to my Note 2 today?

I heard Lollipop was coming, but it can't be this soon, right?

edit: Nevermind.

Found it.

http://www.android.gs/new-sprint-samsung-galaxy-note-2-android-4-4-2-kitkat-update-build-rolls-out-on-january-6/

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

FlyingCheese posted:

Seconding this. T-Mobile is by far better than Sprint in every way.

I also believe the 3rd or more lines are only $40 each, so you save even more with a larger plan. I think the limit is 10.

This is tempting, though I'd need to buy new phones for both of us. I am, however, quite skeptical of T-Mo's coverage.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Luceo posted:

This is tempting, though I'd need to buy new phones for both of us. I am, however, quite skeptical of T-Mo's coverage.

It all depends on the region. One person could say it's great for them in Tallahassee, and another in Portland could say it's terrible. I would never depend on someone else saying it was better or worse unless they were in the area you're going to be using it in. That said, T-Mobile in LA has generally higher speeds than Sprint (but Sprint isn't terrible here any more; I get 30mbps most places), however it seems to have poorer coverage here than Sprint. Meaning if I'm out on a hike somewhere more often than not I'll be the one with service while my boyfriend with T-Mobile doesn't.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
In my experience T-Mobile has equal or better coverage in cities but quickly drops to EDGE once you get outside them. Sprint isn't fantastically better, but they have "at least" EVDO on all Interstate corridors I travel and LTE for much of that even.

Basically, over the past few months I've actually been able to make use of unlimited data with streaming audio on (frequent) long distance trips I make. T-Mo can't do that yet, possibly ever. it's a niche case where Sprint might make sense.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does Sprint allow me to use my Samsung Galaxy S5 as a hotspot or with tethering? I don't see anything though on how much extra this costs or how to set it up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I said come in! posted:

Does Sprint allow me to use my Samsung Galaxy S5 as a hotspot or with tethering? I don't see anything though on how much extra this costs or how to set it up.

You can, it's additional fees. A ton for the hotspot (last I looked $30 a month) and I think starting at $10 for ~ 2gb for tethering.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Medullah posted:

You can, it's additional fees. A ton for the hotspot (last I looked $30 a month) and I think starting at $10 for ~ 2gb for tethering.

So tethering would be the better option? I just can't find the plan to add to my account on Sprint's stupid rear end website. I found hotspot devices, and those carried absurd costs, and are pointless for me because the Galaxy S5 can act as a hotspot device already. It can also doing tethering tho, so either option is fine for me.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Can you activate any (US) Nexus 5 on Sprint? I know they're all hardware capable, but will Sprint do it?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

Can you activate any (US) Nexus 5 on Sprint? I know they're all hardware capable, but will Sprint do it?

I've heard that Nexus5s bought directly from T-Mobile are not in their database, which prevents normal employees from being able to add them, but phones bought directly from google are ok.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I just can't find the plan to add to my account on Sprint's stupid rear end website.
The new hotspot addons are $20 for 2 GB/mo and $50 for 6 GB/mo. You can add them by logging into your account on Sprint's website and going to "Change my services" in the drop down menu.

I believe the hotspot addons do prorate if you turn them off before the end of the month. So if you only need hotspot for a weekend or something it's considerably cheaper than the monthly rates.

There doesn't appear to be a separate tethering option anymore. It might be rolled into the hotspot addon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Grumpwagon posted:

They will, but be prepared to have to have them put the IMEI/MEID into the system if it doesn't pop up when they scan the box. Also be prepared to pay for a SIM if they don't have one (I had to go to Best Buy to get a SIM, then bring it back to the store to activate it).

I was lucky that I went to a repair center, and the guy knew me. Still wasn't easy as they had never seen the phone before, and had to get the activation instructions from Sprint.