Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

ascendance posted:

Wow, all vaxxer bashing, and nobody is mocking gluten free ppl (who arent celiacs).

I'm actually allergic to gluten. But not enough to make me stop eating it. Dairy was enough thanksverymuch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Non celiac gluten free dopes make it easier and cheaper for my celiac wife to find food.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah the lactose/gluten movement are actually doing some good for the ones that do need it, that can't really be said for anti-vaxxers.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

just finished mounting, hanging, and running the hvac for a 42in, 1200cfm vent hood in my kitchen. aside from my shoddy duct tape work (first time, don't hate), shits lookin nice I think. I lit some incense halfway across the room, and smoke didn't even rise vertically - it just made a straight line for the hood.

:clint:

I'm not sure if my man card was ever revoked or some poo poo, but I'm pretty certain that it if it ever was, it just got loving reinstated.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 16, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How you gonna hide the ductwork?

That dishwasher right next to the stove is some hosed up feng shui.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I' kitchening too

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 16, 2015

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Careful, if you break many more tables you might have to buy one.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
drat... Mobile

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
While you were all kitchening, my band decided we would be ultimate hipsters and joined the NPR Tiny Desk Contest.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Whatever, I installed my dishwasher 3 years ago, and when it broke 3 weeks ago I fixed it myself. I fix all the poo poo in our house. I'm the lady.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

mindphlux posted:

just finished mounting, hanging, and running the hvac for a 42in, 1200cfm vent hood in my kitchen.

Looks great. A powerful hood was something I didn't think I would need but now don't think I could imagine living without. What did you end up with? I remember you asking for recommendations a few times over the last year or so.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

KWC posted:

Looks great. A powerful hood was something I didn't think I would need but now don't think I could imagine living without. What did you end up with? I remember you asking for recommendations a few times over the last year or so.

well, I don't know about looks *great* - the whole house (1920's) is off kilter - the floor around the fridge is like almost an inch lower than by the stove, whoever previously renovated the kitchen hung the cabinets off level and a bunch of other stuff. but yeah I guess for babbys first remodeling project I'm happy with it.

My local appliance company suggested Broan's Best line, so I went with a WP28M42SB, and their 1200cfm remote blower. In the end, my research seemed to indicate that the hood itself didn't really matter - so long as it had metal baffles - it was more just the power of the blower. Having gotten intimate with the workings of the hood, I see why now. It really isn't anything but a metal shell you hook up to a duct - no special technology or hidden magic or anything. which is annoying, because the internet is full of people waxing poetic about certain brands or whatever. I guess that's the internet for you, nerds spergin' about poo poo.

I had a sheet metal company fabricate a custom length stainless soffit to hide the duct work. I would have that up already, but because of my house's aforementioned off-kilterness, it doesn't fit, BECAUSE APPARENTLY MY CEILING IS ALSO AT SOME STRANGE hosed UP ANGLE. thanks, entropy. it's like half an inch too high at some points.

I'll probably just get a dremel tool and grind down the metal to make it fit, or some giant metalcutting shears - unless anyone here has any bright ideas (subG, you know how to do everything)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

mindphlux posted:

well, I don't know about looks *great* - the whole house (1920's) is off kilter - the floor around the fridge is like almost an inch lower than by the stove, whoever previously renovated the kitchen hung the cabinets off level and a bunch of other stuff. but yeah I guess for babbys first remodeling project I'm happy with it.

Sup old house buddy? Mine's only 1947, but there's nothing square left in the joint even though it's solid as a brick shithouse. Whoever last remodeled the kitchen got nothing level and hung many doors upside down or backwards somehow. The kitchen layout is also severely compromised by some syndromic prior owner. I'm in the early planning stages for renovation.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mindphlux posted:

My local appliance company suggested Broan's Best line, so I went with a WP28M42SB, and their 1200cfm remote blower. In the end, my research seemed to indicate that the hood itself didn't really matter - so long as it had metal baffles - it was more just the power of the blower. Having gotten intimate with the workings of the hood, I see why now. It really isn't anything but a metal shell you hook up to a duct - no special technology or hidden magic or anything. which is annoying, because the internet is full of people waxing poetic about certain brands or whatever. I guess that's the internet for you, nerds spergin' about poo poo.

I had a sheet metal company fabricate a custom length stainless soffit to hide the duct work. I would have that up already, but because of my house's aforementioned off-kilterness, it doesn't fit, BECAUSE APPARENTLY MY CEILING IS ALSO AT SOME STRANGE hosed UP ANGLE. thanks, entropy. it's like half an inch too high at some points.

I'll probably just get a dremel tool and grind down the metal to make it fit, or some giant metalcutting shears - unless anyone here has any bright ideas (subG, you know how to do everything)

Careful with using the shears, as you have a good chance of tweaking the sheet metal. You're better off making a cardboard mockup version of your piece at exactly the shape you need, then bring that along with the piece back to the metal shop and have them file/grind it in a way that won't crease the metal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm at work so I can't actually listen to it right now (I'll do it later on my lunch break) but which one are you, Wiggles? I love to be able to put a face to a name.

If I had to guess, it'd be the drummer. ;)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Midniter posted:

I'm at work so I can't actually listen to it right now (I'll do it later on my lunch break) but which one are you, Wiggles? I love to be able to put a face to a name.

Lol.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's not the woman, the slightly portly fellow, or the 18 year-old-looking guy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nah, slightly portly fellow.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

twas my guess. You ever post pics of that diy pedalboard in the gear threads? Share!

E:
cool, Ive been meaning to do that myself (DIY board)
||||
vvvv

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 16, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

twas my guess. You ever post pics of that diy pedalboard in the gear threads? Share!

Oh, I forgot about that. It's what I'm playing through here - in fact the top of the pedalboard is the suitcase lid that says "Lawnspur". I'll post about it in the gear thread this weekend when I take some photos.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You guys aren't awful.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

You ever post pics of that diy pedalboard in the gear threads? Share!

pedalboard pic snype

downsized to this from a flight case and about a year ago cause I was doing less road gigs and more in town gigs and multiple per-day gigs so portability was def an upgrade

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

^^^^^
Nice.

therattle posted:

You guys aren't awful.

Thanks. We're usually much louder than that, though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

lollin' at my azn-ness with the plastic cover still on my Timeline LCD. lolololol

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

My sheppard's pie recipe blows, give me a better one?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

lollin' at my azn-ness with the plastic cover still on my Timeline LCD. lolololol

dont post that board on TGP because they will rip you a new one for not being "neat" Im jealous of your timeline....Hows that green blue ocean?

e: content:

I made mussels last night with some leeks and white wine (delicious), and in the morning my wife claimed some indigestion. Do you think it was from the leeks or the mussels?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Sometimes I get it from alliums. Though generally it just fucks with my reflux (gross). If it were the mussels, you'd both be super indisposed and the mussels would have stank to hell and back.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

dont post that board on TGP because they will rip you a new one for not being "neat" Im jealous of your timeline....Hows that green blue ocean?

I've been reamed on Gear Talk for being messy. I swap pedals out pretty frequently for different gigs depending on what tones I need and I'd rather learn the tunes for the gig than route cables and make it look pretty. Gets the job done, all that matters IMO.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJB3_asB2rc

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

RedTonic posted:

Sometimes I get it from alliums. Though generally it just fucks with my reflux (gross). If it were the mussels, you'd both be super indisposed and the mussels would have stank to hell and back.

Yeah I mean the mussels were sweet and delicious so I seriously doubted that. Could be totally unrelated too because I didn't feel bad.

I also feel like mussels aren't given enough credit amongst my circle of friends. Its relatively cheap and really great drinking food. Clearly, I need to find better friends.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Yeah I mean the mussels were sweet and delicious so I seriously doubted that. Could be totally unrelated too because I didn't feel bad.

I also feel like mussels aren't given enough credit amongst my circle of friends. Its relatively cheap and really great drinking food. Clearly, I need to find better friends.

Agreed. Moules frites are my favourite bar food, but they're also classy enough to be served in gussied up ways. Mussels rule we should all eat more of them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Hows that green blue ocean?

It's great. It's a clone of a Mad Professor Deep Blue. I use it mostly as low level ambient droning and for the few times I've needed a delay that can oscillate. The Timeline oscillates but it doesn't really get that analog clipping when you really slam the repeats, and it's usually set to something else.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I love mussels. They're cheap as gently caress here, they're available year round, and they're just protein. Wonderful. Hardshell clams, too. I'd never had any of that stuff before I moved north. Now imagining living without fresh seafood, I'm just -- ugh, why bother?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

RedTonic posted:

I love mussels. They're cheap as gently caress here, they're available year round, and they're just protein. Wonderful. Hardshell clams, too. I'd never had any of that stuff before I moved north. Now imagining living without fresh seafood, I'm just -- ugh, why bother?

Because you are separated from the ocean by the mighty Sierra Nevada...:negative:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Echeveria posted:

I do a vegetarian one with lentils that is pretty drat tasty. Not amazing cuisine but hearty and satisfying.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Thaaaank you.

therattle I already took my beef out of the freezer. And I have no lentils.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That's not Shepherd's pie :colbert:

it's cottage pie :eng101:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Careful with using the shears, as you have a good chance of tweaking the sheet metal. You're better off making a cardboard mockup version of your piece at exactly the shape you need, then bring that along with the piece back to the metal shop and have them file/grind it in a way that won't crease the metal.

Yup, do this, shears will be nothing but trouble and a dremel is a good tool it can be really tough to cut that edge and have it look finish-grade with one.

So i take it the blower is mounted outside mindphlux? I have an under-draw system on my jenn-air and it does ok (it kinda pulls the flame away actually) but a real hood would perform better and actually look good.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Asking the shop is a good default approach. Depending on what it looks like it might or might not be a lot of additional work for them so it might or might not be something they'll throw in as lagniappe. If they're a CNC-heavy shop they might be less willing/able to tweak sheet metal that's already been bent. But it's worth a shot. Worst case you could probably talk them into a deal on a new piece and them taking the fuckup as scrap. Depends on the shop.

A cardboard mockup is good, but better would be to find out what formats the shop takes (e.g. a CAD file or SVG or whatever) and giving them that. If you've already handed them plans before you might have a better feel for how they do things and it might not matter.

That all aside, if it was me and I had to make the changes myself I'd use, in declining order of preference: a nibbler; a pair of electric shears; a throatless shear; hand tools. You probably don't have any of the first three, but depending on where you are you might be able to rent them (either checking them out from a home improvement place or taking the piece to a DIY coop or whatever the gently caress).

If you're stuck using hand tools, tin snips would be at the bottom of the list for work on a completed piece because you're pretty much guaranteed to distort the metal along the edge. If you have a Dremel or a Rotozip or the moral equivalent I'd use it with a heavy duty cutoff wheel. Or rather a box of them, because you'll probably go through them pretty quick doing real work with them. You can save yourself some touchup work by clamping some scrap lumber along the line of the cut---this will keep you from getting crazy and cutting outside the line, and help prevent some bending along the edge. If it's really thin gauge (you said it's just to conceal the ductwork, so it's not a structural member) you can put some friction tape along the line of the cut, both sides, so you're basically cutting down the centre line of the tape when you're doing the work. The tape will help minimise spalling if it's very light gauge.

In any case, if you're doing the work yourself for gently caress's sake get a bunch of scrap metal of the same gauge as you'll be working on and do a shitload of practice cuts until you're consistently happy with the quality of the result you'll be getting. For gently caress's sake don't practice on the work piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

That's not Shepherd's pie :colbert:

it's cottage pie :eng101:

Details, details. It's in the oven at any rate. I only had really expensive bottles of red wine, so I used a splash of beer instead. Also the obvious no cheese thing. My poor husband misses out on all sorts of deliciousness because of me.