Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

Colonial nations are in vanilla now, same as protectorates and other features in that patch. As far as I know Conquest of Paradise has nothing but North American native improvements and random new world at this point. That's something, but it's the last DLC I'd recommend.

Other than that your list seems pretty accurate though.

don't you ned CoP to request nations to support your independence?

without you're in a very hard spot to play as holland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bishop Rodan posted:

-You want Random New World

Very sad that this never got any more love/tiles/adjusting. I wonder if their stats show it didn't get used much or what?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

Very sad that this never got any more love/tiles/adjusting. I wonder if their stats show it didn't get used much or what?
I would play with it every time if it didnt give me crappy island chains or nothing of interest every time :c00lbutt:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I really like the idea but the results are always so disappointing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bort Bortles posted:

I would play with it every time if it didnt give me crappy island chains or nothing of interest every time :c00lbutt:

I don't know what your talking about!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There are just so few tiles. Honestly if I were to play a game with random new world again, I'd rather be able to use the old system. The results were usually dumb as hell but at least they were interesting, and you got actual continents. I've memorized all the notable tiles in the new system and the ones that I haven't are all generic as hell.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Wafflecopper posted:

God loving drat it, I think I need a mod that makes the Humiliate Rival CB not the default one. Sort your UI out Paradox :argh:

This is getting changed in 1.18, according to DDRJake.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mans posted:

don't you ned CoP to request nations to support your independence?

without you're in a very hard spot to play as holland.

I can do it and I don't own CoP. I dunno if it's just vanilla or it's been added to another DLC (like national focus).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I really hate that spine of the world tile, it looks stupid as all hell :colbert:

MY IMMERSION

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think the biggest problem with Random New World is the lack of serious continents. Even that spine of the world one, despite at least trying something weird and different, is still substantially smaller than the Americas which leads to a ton of just blank empty ocean. I tried a couple RNW setups when they did the revamp and apart from the spine one and another one that had three continents that together made up a proper New World, more often than not it was just a few small isolated islands here and there and half a planet of empty ocean. North and South America are actually really big, and parts of them get surprisingly close to Europe/Africa. You tend not to get that with the random new world.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

vyelkin posted:

I think the biggest problem with Random New World is the lack of serious continents. Even that spine of the world one, despite at least trying something weird and different, is still substantially smaller than the Americas which leads to a ton of just blank empty ocean. I tried a couple RNW setups when they did the revamp and apart from the spine one and another one that had three continents that together made up a proper New World, more often than not it was just a few small isolated islands here and there and half a planet of empty ocean. North and South America are actually really big, and parts of them get surprisingly close to Europe/Africa. You tend not to get that with the random new world.

Yeah, that's my main problem with it. It all just feels like a much shittier version of the spice islands/Polynesia that really doesn't feel like a "New World" as much as "Oh hey, the Indies really do just kind of keep going!"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone encountered a bug where a non-allied nation will join a war? When I go to declare on Commonwealth it says Spain will join on their side, even though neither shows as allied to or guaranteeing the other. Neither is in the HRE either and there is no coalition against me. Declaring on Spain won't call Commonwealth. Not running any mods.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For a good RNW you just need to add mod tiles. I got a full continent that was roughly the size of North + South America, and a bunch of islands roughly the sizes of the British Isles and Japan.

Colonizing is inherently boring, though, and there isn't much helping that.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Anyone encountered a bug where a non-allied nation will join a war? When I go to declare on Commonwealth it says Spain will join on their side, even though neither shows as allied to or guaranteeing the other. Neither is in the HRE either and there is no coalition against me. Declaring on Spain won't call Commonwealth. Not running any mods.

Defender of the faith?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Fellblade posted:

Defender of the faith?

Oh yeah that's probably it. Wish the tooltip would say.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
It should say if you hover over the little green check-mark on the belligerent list. At least I'm pretty sure it does.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Doffen posted:

It should say if you hover over the little green check-mark on the belligerent list. At least I'm pretty sure it does.

I did and it doesn't

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Watching DDRJake's Ryukyo WC, I'm not sure whether he is very good at the game or merely very good at breaking it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

New xpack should be called "Frederick the Great's Fancy Stroll Across Europe" imho

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Fat Samurai posted:

Watching DDRJake's Ryukyo WC, I'm not sure whether he is very good at the game or merely very good at breaking it.

I feel like he's uses less exploits since he joined paradox. His current run he's on very hard, taking the opm island nation hormuz (its between timmy and oman) and conquering every island in the game including the British Isles and Japan.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ImPureAwesome posted:

I feel like he's uses less exploits since he joined paradox. His current run he's on very hard, taking the opm island nation hormuz (its between timmy and oman) and conquering every island in the game including the British Isles and Japan.
He's probably responsible for the fixing of a ton of game breaking bugs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bort Bortles posted:

He's probably responsible for the fixing of a ton of game breaking bugs.

Halfway through Ryukyo's WC Paradox published a patch but for the first time (I think) let players tell Steam not to download it. I want to believe Paradox was watching DDRjake's stream and taking notes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fat Samurai posted:

Halfway through Ryukyo's WC Paradox published a patch but for the first time (I think) let players tell Steam not to download it. I want to believe Paradox was watching DDRjake's stream and taking notes.
Wiz admitted to game-start England and Byzantium being honeypots that Paradox used to find exploits people used to get ahead. I have no doubt that they kept an eye on the people that did the craziest poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I can understand Byzantium being a good honeypot country for finding exploits, but why England?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

QuarkJets posted:

I can understand Byzantium being a good honeypot country for finding exploits, but why England?

Before cossacks(?) England used to start at war with France during the 100 years war. It's was almost impossible to win it and most England guides said to quit the war and give up your mainland stuff to France asap. So the people that did win it, were clearly exploiting

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

In the video that I just watched he was explaining why Naval ideas are actually the best military ideas, and indeed he had actually picked it as his first set of military ideas

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

In the video that I just watched he was explaining why Naval ideas are actually the best military ideas, and indeed he had actually picked it as his first set of military ideas

what

Can't watch youtube now because work, mind explaining that?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Transmetropolitan posted:

what

He's been intentionally taking bad idea groups as a handicap. Gotta get that increased prestige from naval battles!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Transmetropolitan posted:

what

It's a joke.

He is doing an islands-only run so he does hypothetically get some benefit but his fleet is so huge anyway that it shouldn't matter

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oddly enough it actually comes to his rescue a bit later, although like we were saying before he might have never found himself in the situation where he needed that if he'd just taken defensive.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

He's really, really good at playing the naval game this time.

He knows when to blockade straits, and when to lead superior forces into a trap. Having vastly stronger heavies allows his weaker ground forces to simply gobble up enemy territory, as their troops are blocked by his fleet.

He still makes some horrible mistakes, mind you, but when he took a break, he was much more focused.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Before cossacks(?) England used to start at war with France during the 100 years war. It's was almost impossible to win it and most England guides said to quit the war and give up your mainland stuff to France asap. So the people that did win it, were clearly exploiting
Ugh, Vassal Swarm France was such a pain in the loving dick as Burgundy. Switching it around has made that entire area much more playable. Also yay Burgundy Boo France etc.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

ImPureAwesome posted:

So the people that did win it, were clearly exploiting
God I must have spent several days in total baiting French armies into the Pyrinees to get that A Night In Paris achievement.

And now its so easy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Huh, from the last dev multiplayer stream, nation-nation loans are returning

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Yeah I've been taking loans from both Portugal and Venice with like 2% interest to fuel my growth faster and to avoid increasing inflation as well.
Also if you guys been missing out on it I highly recommend you watch it, great fun and you get a better "face" on the developers. We are stupid gamers like the rest and love to play the game ourselves.
You also have the added bonus that you get to see all the new features.

Silly video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHpq7yubKc

Forum thread:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-office-multiplayer-campaign-vi.965679/

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 8, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Very realistic character models there. :v:

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
New dev diary, featuring Revolutionary Republic Factions. A short one.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Is it possible to switch from an imported merchant republic into one of these or another kind of democratic republic?

Edit: Without a violent revolt that is.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

how many people actually play games to a late enough year to have the revolution trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Pellisworth posted:

how many people actually play games to a late enough year to have the revolution trigger

I often play late enough for it to have a possibility of triggering, only to notice that all countries are too stable for a revolution to start. Or it starts in some tiny country that gets crushed immediately.

• Locked thread