Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it ok to think the DLC for this game is good, but also that it's a bit pricey?

I'm torn cuz I don't feel gouged or anything but yeah $18 for one race and a (universally-considered unremarkable to bad) minicampaign is pretty steep compared to the price of the base game.

I get why CA charges that, and I'm glad to have this game and not TW:W as a freemium mobile app, but

IDK my own point, but for a lot of us out there, $18 is not a throwaway, it's a sizeable chunk of our checks. I guess it irks me to see people acting all condescending like "ahaha, $20? Adults like myself wipe our asses with such bills!" when defending video game content. There are really much better things I could've gotten for my money than the beastmen or elves. I'm not gonna begrudge it though because the content is well-done and game devs gotta survive this economy too.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

vintagepurple posted:

Is it ok to think the DLC for this game is good, but also that it's a bit pricey?

I'm torn cuz I don't feel gouged or anything but yeah $18 for one race and a (universally-considered unremarkable to bad) minicampaign is pretty steep compared to the price of the base game.

I get why CA charges that, and I'm glad to have this game and not TW:W as a freemium mobile app, but

IDK my own point, but for a lot of us out there, $18 is not a throwaway, it's a sizeable chunk of our checks. I guess it irks me to see people acting all condescending like "ahaha, $20? Adults like myself wipe our asses with such bills!" when defending video game content. There are really much better things I could've gotten for my money than the beastmen or elves.

Is it though? $18 for a midsize DLC is nothing unusual or expensive by modern day game/dlc prices, and you'd be hard pressed to name another strategy game that gives you an entire new race for less than that, especially for an AAA game. Age of Wonders 3 is an awesome game with incredibly cheap expansion packs, and even there the first Expansion was about the same price for one new race, and $25 for two. The DLCs also fund the creation of free content, of which there has been a considerable amount.

I would very much like examples of all those other non-greedy RTS or strategy games that are selling a new race+mini-campaign for less than a third the price of the base game.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Sasgrillo posted:

Everyone knows that game developers just hit buttons and presto content it's very easy, also video games are art and artists are supposed to be poor or something. Where's my free poo poo CA? *posts an ascii middle finger Steam review*

The same people who have this opinion become executives at companies and constantly complain that IT can't magically snap their fingers and make computers understand them and do everything.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

vintagepurple posted:

IDK my own point, but for a lot of us out there, $18 is not a throwaway, it's a sizeable chunk of our checks. I guess it irks me to see people acting all condescending like "ahaha, $20? Adults like myself wipe our asses with such bills!" when defending video game content. There are really much better things I could've gotten for my money than the beastmen or elves. I'm not gonna begrudge it though because the content is well-done and game devs gotta survive this economy too.

Well i atleast wasn't intending to be condescending, just that the dude i quoted in question seemed to think the 18 euroes/dollars comes out of a place of utter greed. It is still completely fair to think its too rich for your blood and wanting to wait for a sale or look for better prices on grey markets, its what i often do anyways!

But it is NOT a scam to charge 18 euroes/dollars for said content either, anyone who thinks that needs to get their priorities checked.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I assumed a lot of the people complaining about DLCs are very young and that it's difficult to save up enough of their lunch money to afford the extra races.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The best thing about the DLC is that you don't need to buy any DLC to get the best faction. Which is, of course, undead skeleton mans.

This may change when Tomb Kings are released as a DLC.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
It's gonna be funny if the other two elf factions end up being just as overpowered as wood elves.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
generally people don't like it when they think they have to pay a bunch extra to get the "complete" game, which is definitely the impression the dlc system gives (moreso than a traditional expansion pack did, because of the fact that in-game it's very obvious there's locked content), even if you can reasonably argue that the game without any DLC is fine on its own, and that adding the option of DLC doesn't make anyone worse off. it doesn't help that the original base price for the game was at the top of the standard range of game prices

also, multiple people itt have said that the king & the warlord is important to fix some real problems with the base game factions, which is the kind of thing you really shouldn't have to pay extra for

Panfilo posted:

I assumed a lot of the people complaining about DLCs are very young and that it's difficult to save up enough of their lunch money to afford the extra races.

oh yeah baby it's time to start calling anyone who criticises my favoured consumer product a dastardly poor!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Panfilo posted:

"hmm, they're not as mature as ME" - a person commanding videogame elves

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Come on now, disposable income has nothing to do with maturity.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
For real though, tell me more about all the modern or even older AAA RTS games that give you the same amount of additional content at rock-bottom prices.

I understand the sheer quantity of DLC available makes people a bit cross-eyed, but I'm not seeing any strong arguments from a price for content comparison.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Good lord, stop this poo poo now.

This conversation started with the question "is it ok to think the DLC is good but also pricey?". The answer is "yes", as that is very reasonable. It is also reasonable to disagree. We've had this debate before and frankly it sucks balls. Let it alone or take it to the Steam forums.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't understand how people who can ostensibly afford a computer that can run this game are also incapable of paying $20 once every 3 months or so.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
No the conversation started with typical steam review whining that they're charging money for additional content.

It is a fair point to say the dlc is neat but overpriced. In retrospect the beastmen dlc was a ripoff for me, as I played one grand campaign and one mini campaign (which sucks) and haven't touched them sense. But I get why these things cost money. I imagine GW gets some cut that brings Sega's, and then CA's margins down lower, which probably aren't great to begin with.

Im kind of at the point where I just auto-buy TW products for two reasons: 1) they are my digital crack and 2) I never paid for my copy of M2 until recently :( #warezguilt

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I liked the Beastmen mini campaign. The forest belongs to me.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't understand how people who can ostensibly afford a computer that can run this game are also incapable of paying $20 once every 3 months or so.

A few kids aside I don't think it's a 'i can't afford this' sort of thing. I think it's simple entitlement.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Vlex posted:

I liked the Beastmen mini campaign. The forest belongs to me.

I had fun with it the first time through, and went back and finished it later after the fixed the achievement but I certainly wouldn't say it was a big draw.

I love Beastmen and have played a bunch of Grand Campaigns with them though, so I don't really get why they have such a bad rap. Really though I'm the guy who spent all my time in historical TWs playing the sneaky/skirmishy/barbarian factions, so Beastmen and Wood Elves are both 110% my jam.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

hmmm, better post some screenshots

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I liked the rant about how terrible the DLC is despite the fact this game was 100% fun out of the door and you don't even need the DLC to fight the races they added.

So yeah in a way you're basically paying money to play the mini campaigns and unlock the races as playable, but frankly thats more due to the problem of them being generous than trying to gently caress over customers. If beastmen and wood elves weren't added to the grand campaign and you needed the DLC to add them and their regions in the DLC seem "worth it" more but also you're giving less free stuff to players.

Maybe it's because I played the tabletop game but basically paying like £18 or whatever it is for an entire army you can use as much as you want seems OK. You can also not buy it if you never want to play as wood elves or beastment, which is what I have done.

The only one where there's sort of a point is the chaos warriors because they are a huge part of the inital game, yeah pre-orders got the pack for free, but I still think that lock them behind a paywall when it shipped with the game was kind of lovely. If they wanted to reward pre-orders they should have added bonus legendary lords.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Kitchner posted:

The only one where there's sort of a point is the chaos warriors because they are a huge part of the inital game, yeah pre-orders got the pack for free, but I still think that lock them behind a paywall when it shipped with the game was kind of lovely. If they wanted to reward pre-orders they should have added bonus legendary lords.

Like Kholek, Archaon, and Sigvald? :haw:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Seeing awesome shots like this are what lead me to turn off the debug cam, being able to zoom all the way out may be 'optimal' but it sure is boring as poo poo. I don't even turn on debug cam in multiplayer anymore.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

How do you get such pretty screenshots? I've been trying to take some and even with settings at max my screenshots feel like a mess in comparison.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Rule #1 is get a camera mod (or debug camera). Personally, I use this one https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690476829&searchtext=

Some maps have better lighting than others for screenshots, and of course some are thematically better. You can use spell effects to create a mist/fog/flame to add atmosphere. Camera mods help you get real lo to the ground which gives good perspective in certain shots, it feels like you're more involved in the battle that way. I don't really know what techniques I use to get them, I just pause a battle and fly around the map looking for cool poo poo basically.

Also, use the 'N' key to zoom in. I think I use it for almost every screenshot I take ever. You can press N and adjust the FOV with mouse scroll which helps with getting really good closeups or cutting things out of the border etc. Just pause a battle and fly around, this game makes its own beautiful scenes but you just have to really scour the battlefield sometimes.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

madmac posted:

For real though, tell me more about all the modern or even older AAA RTS games that give you the same amount of additional content at rock-bottom prices.

I understand the sheer quantity of DLC available makes people a bit cross-eyed, but I'm not seeing any strong arguments from a price for content comparison.

I wasn't saying CA are being greedy bourgeois monocle-twirlers and x company are champions of the people, just pointing out that it's a lil condescending to pretend that everyone can throw $18 out like it's nothing. I understand why DLC is priced how it is and it's not unfair at all. I honestly couldn't name a game dev or game besides Paradox, Valve, and CA anyway, I'm not a huge gamer. AoK The Conquerors was kind of a rip, so good on CA I guess?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Saving up for a computer that can put out thousands of hours of free entertainment afterwards (and has practical functions like emails and work and subs for a tv) and lasts for years is a bit different than spending a chunk of disposable income on a toy. It's possible to be poor and still have a few nice things here in the first world. I have a fridge too!

Some of y'all remind of the warham fans in the dying days of the tabletop game and how they'd lash out at people who got priced out. That was a sight to behold. "So what it's fifty bucks for 10 skeletons and you need 80+ for a starter army, that's chump change. Why I spend that at the bar every weekend...". Good on ya buddy but I'm 24, I make $8 an hour and I got rent and tuition to pay.

The DLC for this game is good, and hell Bretonnia is the best free update I've seen in maybe ever, CA is great. All's I'm saying is the DLC is kinda pricey for what you get, and that's still ok cuz them devs and voice actors and everyone else also need to get by same as me.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's so hard to watch the fight because I have to keep telling people what to do. Infantry always stops in place when their targets break

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Did you have them on guard mode

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Yeah I got a camera mod which makes battles very fun to watch. Those city walls are freaking MASSIVE if you're zoomed in on or near them.

What's funny about seeing things close up is all the little details you catch, and all the ugly junky stuff that's usually hidden in a big scrum when you are zoomed further out. Missile units will have their own animations when switching from their missile weapons to their melee weapons, and it's really cool to see a line of them dramatically unsheathing their swords right before getting charged. On the flip side, units often don't bother using any animation when pivoting in place, so they suddenly look like an awkward rotating statue when they turn around.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
When we're done arguing about DLC let's argue about whether or not something is true to the Lore.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I think we can all agree that the lore of life is really good

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Even post nerf?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

fnordcircle posted:

When we're done arguing about DLC let's argue about whether or not something is true to the Lore.

IMO, the great sidesaddle debate was pretty good terrible.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 12, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

You know what would probably soothe the butthurt over dlc? Not including dlc factions in patch updates. Like if I bought the game today there'd be a bunch of content paywalled off, factions and units I can't access but that can be used against me. That'd probably piss me off.

Having the game since launch and buying dlc as it's released is a different perspective, you can see the maturation of content as it's released.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

vintagepurple posted:

AoK The Conquerors was kind of a rip, so good on CA I guess?

First of all, how dare you

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the only dlc thing I hate are units of renown since the AI is super loving cheeky about making a mostly dead stack suddenly terrifying. those units should stay dead longer.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ammanas posted:

You know what would probably soothe the butthurt over dlc? Not including dlc factions in patch updates. Like if I bought the game today there'd be a bunch of content paywalled off, factions and units I can't access but that can be used against me. That'd probably piss me off.

Having the game since launch and buying dlc as it's released is a different perspective, you can see the maturation of content as it's released.
You think it'd be better if they didn't release the dlc races to be fought against?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the only dlc thing I hate are units of renown since the AI is super loving cheeky about making a mostly dead stack suddenly terrifying. those units should stay dead longer.

This. Wonder if that's somehow moddable?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Even post nerf?

I mean, they like raised the cost of Earth Blood by one point and buffed every other spell in the Lore, so yeah still good.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

What's good in it? I am never that impressed but people say it's good so I must be using it wrong

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only bad thing about the DLC is that I don't have the Wood Elves yet.

Gejnor, does your Orc mod do anything to buff Trolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah it does. And buffs the Troll related technologies too!

• Locked thread