Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Walton Simons posted:

Someone asked me a while back to post a video of me dying so you can see why I suck. Well, this one's a little obvious now I've watched it back, but it might be worth posting anyway, even if it's for a laugh. I just plain don't see the guy second time! For context, I wounded a guy who ran toward this house over the brow of a hill seconds before this video starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeunGPMXvrw

You need to anticipate with your crosshairs more. Once he ran past the window there are a small handful of places he could turn up where you could shoot him, and you aim at none of them. You should have either been aiming at that window or right next to the corner in case he came into the house. You also didn't clear your corners as you swept the house. He could have been in several places as you walked past without checking and gunned you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Someone asked me a while back to post a video of me dying so you can see why I suck. Well, this one's a little obvious now I've watched it back, but it might be worth posting anyway, even if it's for a laugh. I just plain don't see the guy second time! For context, I wounded a guy who ran toward this house over the brow of a hill seconds before this video starts.

I feel like the two major issues in that clip are positioning and pace (excuse the terrible alliteration as if this was some kind of military credo). The former is fairly straightforward: you stand in the middle of an open field to lob some nades into a building and even your position in the house isn't great (you're visible through several windows and it seems as though your killer did in fact see you. Also, you don't actually have either of the two doors covered properly). As for the latter, if I'm frank, it seems as though you expect the game to be a lot slower than it actually is. You take your sweet time throwing those grenades, then you open the door and stand in the doorway for a few seconds before moving in and, ultimately, you see the guy through the window after which you take 8 seconds to move to his last known location, expecting him to still be there. You only have a shotgun, run out! Blast the guy. You're not going to get a better chance.

Try to speed things up a little, maybe even exaggeratedly so, so that it becomes more natural over time. You obviously don't need to start twitching around everywhere like some people do (there's definitely advantages to a more deliberate playstyle) but this clip honestly felt a little sluggish.

e: ^^^^ also yeah, crosshair placement. That's even more important than the two things I just listed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I like grenades as they're actually useful and are capable of killing your opponents.

Is there a development roadmap by chance? When is the game out of beta?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Parallel Playa posted:

I feel like the two major issues in that clip are positioning and pace (excuse the terrible alliteration as if this was some kind of military credo). The former is fairly straightforward: you stand in the middle of an open field to lob some nades into a building and even your position in the house isn't great (you're visible through several windows and it seems as though your killer did in fact see you. Also, you don't actually have either of the two doors covered properly). As for the latter, if I'm frank, it seems as though you expect the game to be a lot slower than it actually is. You take your sweet time throwing those grenades, then you open the door and stand in the doorway for a few seconds before moving in and, ultimately, you see the guy through the window after which you take 8 seconds to move to his last known location, expecting him to still be there. You only have a shotgun, run out! Blast the guy. You're not going to get a better chance.

Try to speed things up a little, maybe even exaggeratedly so, so that it becomes more natural over time. You obviously don't need to start twitching around everywhere like some people do (there's definitely advantages to a more deliberate playstyle) but this clip honestly felt a little sluggish.

e: ^^^^ also yeah, crosshair placement. That's even more important than the two things I just listed.

I wish to add: When entering a house with a staircase, raise your view up, if there was a guy at the top of the stairs you would have never seen it.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I like grenades as they're actually useful and are capable of killing your opponents.

Is there a development roadmap by chance? When is the game out of beta?

There isn't. There is a list of compiled answer from a reddit AMA PU did which outlines some plans for the future, but they purposely did away with scheduled updates. Game should be out of EA before the end of the year IIRC.

e: found it for you

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 25, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Mash posted:

I have 8 gb ram and I did this so it can't be all bad really:

drat, this guy won a game. Clearly 8gb must be ideal.

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

drat, this guy won a game. Clearly 8gb must be ideal.

I'll take this anecdote here, and this one over here and...

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I got 16gb and have never won. I'll remove a stick and report back with my findings.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Fateo McMurray posted:

I got 16gb and have never won. I'll remove a stick and report back with my findings.
I mean the logic checks out because I have 64gb and I'm god awful, so yeah the more you have the worse you get.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Those are all really, really good tips, especially on the crosshair placement and pace, thanks!

One thing on gear, I did have an assault rife too, which I was using in open ground, I thought that shotguns could be better if you're in close quarters, or should I just stick with an AR if I have one?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

Stop using a controller

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Walton Simons posted:

Those are all really, really good tips, especially on the crosshair placement and pace, thanks!

One thing on gear, I did have an assault rife too, which I was using in open ground, I thought that shotguns could be better if you're in close quarters, or should I just stick with an AR if I have one?
Ahh yeah I'm sorry, you even have it equipped at the beginning of the video. I've got a little UI icon which shows my different guns all the time which I assumed was non optional, but you don't have it turned on, so when you had the shotgun equipped throughout the video I thought it was all you had.

e: so it looks like this:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I hopped out of my car just north of the farm to try to take cover before the red zone started and maybe pick up some loot as well. As soon as I jumped out I took fire from someone shooting out of the upstairs of one of the houses. I took cover behind a tree that obscured his view just as the red zone started. Realizing I was in a really poo poo position in the middle of the red zone with someone shooting me from a building and most likely attracting even more attention I decided the prudent thing would be to get back in my car and drive away. As soon as I got within a few feet of my car the red zone put an explosion right on top of it, blowing up the car and killing me along with it.

Good game.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Stop using a controller

Yeah, is he really using a controller? We have strong opinions about that.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

No, I'm just very, very rusty. I used to be decent at FPSs, I swear!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

Yeah, is he really using a controller? We have strong opinions about that.

That crosshair movement is textbook controller. If he isn't, then he plays like he is. It's also why he wouldn't look up the stairs upon opening the door; vertical movement is avoided more often with controllers because it's easier to leave it at center-of-mass level and focus just on swinging left or right.

In general, your crosshair movement will be a lot more energetic with a mouse than a controller, and the difference between them can manifest in other ways too, such as how you clear a room or decide when/where to engage an enemy.

E:sorry I'm not trying to give you a hard time, and I'm not good at the game either. I just noticed what looked like very minimal crosshair movement and figured you were on a controller. In general I'd say you want to be a lot more active on moving your mouse then, so that you can see more of the space you're in faster. Watch some of these streamers and you almost get motion sick they're so frantic with their aim.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 25, 2017

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

No worries, I've played a lot of online FPSs on PC, but most recently I played a fair bit of Halo Reach with a few friends, I must have carried it over from there. I'm aware of it now I'll get ny crosshair moving a lot more.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You went up against me?

I seriously can't lead people at all, I don't know why. Hopefully I just need more practice. Shooting range would be very nice.

you prob suck at tracking and have sensitivity way too high.

Rex-Goliath posted:

If you find that you can't hit poo poo here's some general tips:
  • lower your sensitivity. at the very least it should take you more than 6 inches to do a 180
  • anticipate your shots. any time you're in a firefight or expect to be in one mentally place your enemy on the other side of the wall or corner or whatever and aim where you expect them to be. don't aim at the floor. there aren't any enemies there.
  • if you're finding that you can't land shots at a distance you're probably overcompensating. if compensating vertically just aim at center of mass until you really get a feel for the bullet drop, then you can move to clicking heads. if compensating for a moving target try to start at or near center of mass then move further ahead until your shots land. for both vertical and horizontal compensation I found that I was way overcompensating for a long time before i figured this out.
  • you can single tap way faster than you think. at any distance over 50m try clicking single-fire faster than you're comfortable with. you'll become accustomed to the kick very quickly and find that you kill enemies way faster than before.

bolded last one because it's 90% of the gunplay in this game. If you can't aim and click super fast, you're at a major disadvantage. Stock Mini 14 and M16 can be clicked as fast as possible at any range out to about 100 meters. Other rifles can if they're fully upgraded, except the AKM.You can tell how long people have been playing by how fast they're shooting semi auto. You 100% don't need to let your screen fully reset between shots. Done right you jerkily fire off 8 shots CoM into some chump and he's dead before he's processed where the sound is coming from, then you start working on his friend.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 25, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

High sensitivity is fine if you can control it. Find somewhere with a few pixel-sized targets and swing your mouse between them quickly; how close are you getting to stopping on each target with a single fluid motion without correcting? How smoothly can you track across an arbitrary line? If you're able to keep your mouse under tight control with a high sensitivity, keep using it; you're not losing precision, and you're able to turn faster in close range fights. If you're having trouble aiming though, turn it down.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

aniviron posted:

High sensitivity is fine if you can control it. Find somewhere with a few pixel-sized targets and swing your mouse between them quickly; how close are you getting to stopping on each target with a single fluid motion without correcting? How smoothly can you track across an arbitrary line? If you're able to keep your mouse under tight control with a high sensitivity, keep using it; you're not losing precision, and you're able to turn faster in close range fights. If you're having trouble aiming though, turn it down.

dude lol no.

I hate spectating high sensitivity people because they don't get simple basic kills that they 100% would get with a lower sensitivity. With low sens the amount of your mousepad that corresponds to a dudes head is like half an inch by half an inch. With some cod720headshot bro sens, that same amount of mousepad is like 5 microns by 5 microns. One is categorically easier.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the best sensitivity is the one you can control, this is an empirical fact based on physics. if your ability to win a game is determined by how quickly you move to and click on somebody, the person who moves to and clicks quicker is at an advantage

obviously there are compromises to accuracy in most cases when you up sens, but if you had a player who had 95 percent accuracy at both 30 sensitivity and at 100 sensitivity, would you really tell them to use 30 for literally no benefit?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Has network hit detection been especially lovely for anyone else since the patch adding the mini-14? Not always poo poo, just very unreliable/unpredictable within the same match. Also, anyone having a bug where your keybinds get reset every match? Doesn't affect me but a partner who uses the numpad.

I'll see plumes of blood rise from a target, indoor flanked people so I know they aren't getting hit by someone else, die, then get 0 hit points in the match summary upon death. Like way more often than previously. I doubt it's my connection.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Herstory Begins Now posted:

bolded last one because it's 90% of the gunplay in this game. If you can't aim and click super fast, you're at a major disadvantage. Stock Mini 14 and M16 can be clicked as fast as possible at any range out to about 100 meters. Other rifles can if they're fully upgraded, except the AKM.You can tell how long people have been playing by how fast they're shooting semi auto. You 100% don't need to let your screen fully reset between shots. Done right you jerkily fire off 8 shots CoM into some chump and he's dead before he's processed where the sound is coming from, then you start working on his friend.

I've tried that and find the M16 jumps too much with a 4x or 8x on it for me to super-click.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

aniviron posted:

Boo this man

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
As much as I love high sens coming from Quake, there's a reason every pro CS/OW/whatever player uses an incredibly low sens.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Do we know the actual sensitivity values pro players are using?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Most are between 40-50 at 400dpi

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I want to know how someone can play like that, like, on a fundamental level I don't understand it and I want to understand it. I keep my mouse at 3200 DPI and that's where it feels comfortable in both Windows and games.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I play at 50 general and 40 on all others at 400 DPI, AMA

e: I know that there's some LoL pros who attempt, or have done so in the past, to increase their DPI slowly over the course of weeks, because ultimately being as precise at 3200 DPI at some point in the future as you are at 500 now is preferable. The reason why lowering sensitivity is recommended for normal people like us is because we don't have such godlike precision in the first place. Theoretically, if your accurary is flawless regardless of sensitivity, the higher you push it the better.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 26, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Shima Honnou posted:

I want to know how someone can play like that, like, on a fundamental level I don't understand it and I want to understand it. I keep my mouse at 3200 DPI and that's where it feels comfortable in both Windows and games.

You have to pick your mouse up more, which bothers people that don't play fpses or have heavy mouses, but you're trying to maximize your ability to quickly get to a small target zone. Dota's camera drag doesn't require you to pick your mouse up, which I think is genius and isn't in hots or lol for whatever reason. You have to be more precise with the higher sensitivity. Imagine shooting at a head that's 5 pixels wide and every centimeter you move the mouse is twice that. This is why you either miss or take too long to line up your shots with high dpi.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 26, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Comparing DOTA/LOL/RTS style sens to FPS sens is apples and oranges

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the best sensitivity is the one you can control, this is an empirical fact based on physics. if your ability to win a game is determined by how quickly you move to and click on somebody, the person who moves to and clicks quicker is at an advantage

obviously there are compromises to accuracy in most cases when you up sens, but if you had a player who had 95 percent accuracy at both 30 sensitivity and at 100 sensitivity, would you really tell them to use 30 for literally no benefit?

Yeah because arm aiming is universally better for long term wrist health (i.e. not getting repetitive motion injuries) than wrist aiming.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLvBQx1g1qA

Here is a quick rundown on wrist/arm movements and good form when using both

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
You shouldn't be flcking 180s often anyways, you should be pre-aimed at wherever you're likely to be shot from. Once you are pre-aiming, lemme introduce you to a little thing called pre-firing.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The layout of some houses/buildings in this game are bat poo poo insane though so if you're clearing them you need to aim at three different spots where someone could be all at the same time. I guess that's what you get when every asset you have is just pulled from the UE4 libraries without any considerations to gameplay.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The blue fixes all of this. The risk of eating the ripened fruit is a big part of the risk reward in this game.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Odobenidae posted:

The layout of some houses/buildings in this game are bat poo poo insane though so if you're clearing them you need to aim at three different spots where someone could be all at the same time.

What's wrong with that?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm streaming some games again over on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/lexneville. I'm only dropping aggressively and I cant use a mic atm so just put on some music and hopefully enjoy some bloodshed

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Parallel Playa posted:

I'm streaming some games again over on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/lexneville. I'm only dropping aggressively and I cant use a mic atm so just put on some music and hopefully enjoy some bloodshed

lean, kill, repeat

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

No one is going to be as accurate with a high sensitivity as they are with a low sensitivity

There's a reason 100% of fps pro players aim with their arm and use low sensitivities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Love to click Play and then realize it's on Asia and not be able to cancel it. Don't fix it.

• Locked thread