Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I never saw the banner. I am more disappointed about that than by season 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Barudak posted:

Whole thing could have been fixed if Episode 9 was in universe historians commenting about the Song of Ice and Fire was clearly Stark dynasty propoganda and how there is no historical evidence that the red wedding or the starks killed at it ever existed and they discuss on what actual historic evidence tells us and what details were specifically added by the author in order to curry more favor with Ned Stark the 3rd who was the reigning emperor at the time since the book was actuall written at least 50 years after the events it theoretically depicts.

It should have ended like this-

After Drogon flies off with Dany's corpse we fade into....present day Westeros. It's sorta like our world, but like, the clothes are slightly different and the cars have three wheels or something. There's a professor standing in the ruins of the Red Keep, speaking to a tour group.

Professor - "...and it was here, 800 years ago, that the final Targayrn claimant to the throne died, and following her death, the Seven Kingdoms fractured into five, and then four, and well, we all know our own history don't we. Of course, there were really never dragons, they were only a metaphor for the sophisticated weaponry of Essostic technology....." blah blah blah more of this sort of poo poo.

He then goes to his office and opens up his email. There's a message from a research team in the far north - they've been looking for ruins of Free Folk (wildling is a slur now) settlements. URGENT reads the subject line. Professor comments something droll like "hmmm I suppose their wifi is spotty again" and he opens up the message.

Message text is short - The dead walk. The old legend is true. I seen it with my own eyes.

Professor- "nonsense, it is just a fairy tale."

And then the theme song kicks in again, but it's an electro remix.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

and all it took was for brienne to break her oath to Sansa

lol Sansa doesn't give a gently caress but you give a gently caress

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Amarcarts posted:

There may be legitimate problems with the show but I really wish people would stop complaining about travel times over long distances. Try being a modern audience and understand the implied passage of time.

Watch the Expanse. The vast distances between places creates half of the tension. You can't just go somewhere, it's an endeavor and if you gently caress up you're millions of miles from help and alone.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It should have ended like this-

After Drogon flies off with Dany's corpse we fade into....present day Westeros. It's sorta like our world, but like, the clothes are slightly different and the cars have three wheels or something. There's a professor standing in the ruins of the Red Keep, speaking to a tour group.

Professor - "...and it was here, 800 years ago, that the final Targayrn claimant to the throne died, and following her death, the Seven Kingdoms fractured into five, and then four, and well, we all know our own history don't we. Of course, there were really never dragons, they were only a metaphor for the sophisticated weaponry of Essostic technology....." blah blah blah more of this sort of poo poo.

He then goes to his office and opens up his email. There's a message from a research team in the far north - they've been looking for ruins of Free Folk (wildling is a slur now) settlements. URGENT reads the subject line. Professor comments something droll like "hmmm I suppose their wifi is spotty again" and he opens up the message.

Message text is short - The dead walk. The old legend is true. I seen it with my own eyes.

Professor- "nonsense, it is just a fairy tale."

And then the theme song kicks in again, but it's an electro remix.

This, but, "All Along the Watchtower"

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Thranguy posted:

Tyrion being left out of the book was some bull, too. Even if nothing he did as Hand or on the battlefield was considered noteworthy, his capture motivated the Lannister mobilization, he spent most of the wars being blamed for Bran's fall and Joffrey's death, he married Sansa, killed Tywin, and installed Bronn and house blackwater to a great holding.

Unless it's some kind of Marxist people's history under the cover I guess.

Yeah, I paused it on each page of the kingsguard book. That book states Jeoffrey was killed by Tyrion. Weird that wouldn't get mentioned in a book about king successions.

As a non-book reader. Did GRRM's Ice and Fire not mention him in that specific book?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A man in alt-history seventies fashion explains to you the wonders of ancient winterfell but pronounces it how it would have sounded during the kingsmoot period instead of modern

A woman with a magnificent perm is filmed in a woodpaneled room, explaining why its obvious with historical evidence the portion about Samwell suggesting democracy was a later addition made shortly after the signing of the Great Accord which established what would one day become parliment.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

bar88537 posted:

Yeah, I paused it on each page of the kingsguard book. That book states Jeoffrey was killed by Tyrion. Weird that wouldn't get mentioned in a book about king successions.

As a non-book reader. Did GRRM's Ice and Fire not mention him in that specific book?

He's basically the main character in the books, that joke in the show didn't make sense to anyone

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

bar88537 posted:

Ice and Fire is the name of the series as a whole. Tyrion, I think, has more appearances than any other character, and the one book in which he doesn’t appear is full of characters wondering where he is and what he’s up to.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Song of Ice and Fire is the series name, not a specific book, and Tyrions mentioned or a major point-of-view character in most of them

BTW for non book readers, one of the things GRRM does is that he switches perspectives, some chapters are from good character point of view (jon, eddard, arya etc), and some are from bad character point of view (cersei narrates a view chapters, some of the greyjoys, etc). And then other chapters are omni where GRRM just tells you what's happening from a gods eye view.

It's actually a pretty fun way to read a story

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

im kinda liking this lovely ending more and more its a beautiful full orchestra symphony ending on an obese man farting the crescendo

fuedalism sucks

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Supreme Allah posted:

Song of Ice and Fire is the series name, not a specific book, and Tyrions mentioned or a major point-of-view character in most of them

BTW for non book readers, one of the things GRRM does is that he switches perspectives, some chapters are from good character point of view (jon, eddard, arya etc), and some are from bad character point of view (cersei narrates a view chapters, some of the greyjoys, etc). And then other chapters are omni where GRRM just tells you what's happening from a gods eye view.

It's actually a pretty fun way to read a story

Sometimes the characters you thought were bad change to be characters you actually quite like and showing the story from their perspective goes a long way to making them sympathetic. Cersei and Jaime chapters, but especially Tyrion chapters, are fantastic for this.

Also I don't think there are any "omni" chapters. The closest we get are the pro and epilogues where we follow a perspective that is exclusive to that segment and maybe only briefly mentioned somewhere else and never again (the first prologue for instance is from the perspective of the Night's Watchman who first encounters the living dead and flees south to be beheaded by Ned).

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Why is Brienne allowed to just walk onto set and write whatever in that book? Whose job is it normally to write in that book? Shouldn't a professional watch over it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Why is Brienne allowed to just walk in and write whatever in that book? Whose job is it normally to write in that book? Shouldn't a professional watch over it?

Shes a noble in what is obviously going to be a time of pathetically weak central authority. Nobody is gonna stop her and that book is gonna be obscene propaganda.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Why is Brienne allowed to just walk onto set and write whatever in that book? Whose job is it normally to write in that book? Shouldn't a professional watch over it?

It's the job of the head of the kings guard.

She's the head of the kings guard.

Pod is on it too

Podrick loving Payne is on the kings guard.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sometimes the characters you thought were bad change to be characters you actually quite like and showing the story from their perspective goes a long way to making them sympathetic. Cersei and Jaime chapters, but especially Tyrion chapters, are fantastic for this.

Also I don't think there are any "omni" chapters. The closest we get are the pro and epilogues where we follow a perspective that is exclusive to that segment and maybe only briefly mentioned somewhere else and never again (the first prologue for instance is from the perspective of the Night's Watchman who first encounters the living dead and flees south to be beheaded by Ned).

Omni may be wrong I do remember chapters in every book where the character that was being followed had a few thoughts, but the narrative unfolded as from a larger perspective, and the character was a non-important type

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Universe Master posted:

It's the job of the head of the kings guard.

She's the head of the kings guard.

Pod is on it too

Podrick loving Payne is on the kings guard.

Pod's a Gold Cloak

(city guard, not kings guard)

Kings Guard are White Cloak

Pod can still gently caress

(if rules still matter which I doubt they would under Bran/Tyrion, everyone gently caress everyone)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Supreme Allah posted:

Omni may be wrong I do remember chapters in every book where the character that was being followed had a few thoughts, but the narrative unfolded as from a larger perspective, and the character was a non-important type

You're probably just thinking of Dorne chapters where some idiot without much going on between his ears is used as a viewpoint character because GRRM couldn't figure out how else to let the reader see what was happening in the room. The Dorne guy then dies pointlessly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A sequel series where an archeologist must race against time and Dothraki fascists to recover Roberts Horn

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

You're probably just thinking of Dorne chapters where some idiot without much going on between his ears is used as a viewpoint character because GRRM couldn't figure out how else to let the reader see what was happening in the room. The Dorne guy then dies pointlessly.

Probably, and to be honest, Brienne chapters also seemed overtaken by narrative rather than character, not that I should complain. The chapter where the grizzled priest (played on the show by Al Swearengen) does his monologue on why the common man doesn't give a gently caress about any games over any thrones, that was some of the best writing GRRM ever did

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

if at least two new series get made it better be Arya the pirate/colonizer or the adventures of Ser Podrick

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Supreme Allah posted:

Pod's a Gold Cloak

(city guard, not kings guard)

Kings Guard are White Cloak

Pod can still gently caress

(if rules still matter which I doubt they would under Bran/Tyrion, everyone gently caress everyone)

Pod's wearing the exact same armor as Brienne

Brienne is writing in the Kings guard book

He's a kings guard.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
whoever said the new series should have the lovecraftian horrors was absolutely loving right

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yeah, a professional should, but unfortunately the professionals are currently being washed off the streets.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i always loved swedemason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYAYXeVtoM

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Amarcarts posted:

There may be legitimate problems with the show but I really wish people would stop complaining about travel times over long distances. Try being a modern audience and understand the implied passage of time.
every film and TV show gets a huge amount of leeway with this, it only even becomes a complaint when you do it often and dumb enough that enough casual viewers are bothered by it (3 seasons ago). there is also no passage of time implied by anything other than these retarded distances not mattering.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i assume this got posted but lol

https://twitter.com/JensenKarp/status/59677072196501505

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Overall GOT was good because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYoxNbQGS94

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Bad show with bad writing produces bad think pieces on bad website twitter

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1130543549311623168

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I like how she can just ignore that Dani was Dragon Hitler.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You don't just write Dragon Hitler in a vacuum.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Drunken Baker posted:

You don't just write Dragon Hitler in a vacuum.

Duh. She couldn't breath inside a vacuum.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Killing a woman is never okay

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've been watching The Last Kingdom and it's pretty solid.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i dont know if its just a rumor and our newspaper is eating it up

but its an article about a prequel to got with the working title "the long night" and its about the first appearance of the night king and the white walkers and the targaryen house with naomi watts in the lead, begins filming this year

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Did the night kning show up 1000s of years ago. And the targa show up 100s?

The targa weren't there for 6000 years right?

(Not that that will stand in the way of any of this)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Fuckin trash prequels. Jump ahead to bran dying and have who gets the throne be the center of a political intrigue war.

Like a contest or a ....game for the throne.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Everyone loves prequels, though

(no one does)

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Amarcarts posted:

This would work if anything about the way the characters acted implied time has passed or that zigzagging all over the continent was an ordeal in any way.

But I understand how such writing nuances would be lost on GoT apologists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

Bad show with bad writing produces bad think pieces on bad website twitter

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1130543549311623168
i was gonna defend this because she's right that it's a dumb cliche that's probably sexist if you think about it, but in context that is some marysue.com poo poo.