Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RickoniX posted:

Isn't the Tarrasque immune to ability damage?

Its only immune to one of drain/damage and Allips do the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

RickoniX posted:

It's immune to ability damage, and allips do ability drain! :eng101:

e:f;b :eng99:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

RickoniX posted:

Yep but the Allip does ability drain. What I find more problematic is that the Tarrasque has damage reduction/epic and therefore has epic aligned natural weapons. I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume epic weapons can't hit incorporeal targets.

Anyway it still has a complete lack of mobility and intelligence 3. Even if you cannot kill it, it can't kill you either unless you behave extremely stupidly. If you met one as a guardian you could use a dozen different tricks and bluffs to get it away from its place and nab whatever it's protecting. A smart monster like a Solar or Gold Dragon would be a lot more dangerous.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

peak debt posted:

Yep but the Allip does ability drain. What I find more problematic is that the Tarrasque has damage reduction/epic and therefore has epic aligned natural weapons. I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume epic weapons can't hit incorporeal targets.

Anyway it still has a complete lack of mobility and intelligence 3. Even if you cannot kill it, it can't kill you either unless you behave extremely stupidly. If you met one as a guardian you could use a dozen different tricks and bluffs to get it away from its place and nab whatever it's protecting. A smart monster like a Solar or Gold Dragon would be a lot more dangerous.

I don't think you can bluff it as it just kills anything it sees.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

peak debt posted:

Tarrasques also cant fly or teleport and have speed 20 so they arent even really dangerous for a level 1 medium sized adventurer, much less a level 24+ sorcerer.

That's what you think!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Seeing Template:Tarrasque in the URL, I expected something more. Fear the half-gold dragon Solar with the Tarrasque template!

The Tarrasque template ought to exist. Gain all the immunities, resistance, and other special abilities of the Tarrasque (including the carapace). Increase size by two categories (so a Medium creature goes Huge). Treble its natural hit dice. And now, to unleash a tribe of Tarrasque-templated Kobolds on the players... :unsmigghh:

peak debt posted:

Epic weapons are necessarily magic too, and magic weapons have a 50% chance to hit incorporeal creatures even when they aren't ghost-touch. (When ghost-touch, they have a 100% chance to slice an allip into carpaccio.)

Ashcans posted:

Int 3 means that I guess it is slightly smarter than a typical dog?

Smart enough to talk. Animals are limited to Int 1 or Int 2. A score of 3 means that it's potentially the same score as a PC. (Who rolled very poorly at chargen.)

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 10, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think you can bluff it as it just kills anything it sees.

Int 3 means that I guess it is slightly smarter than a typical dog? So it's mostly too dumb to bluff, but you could trick it into thinking you threw a ball when, in fact, you just made a throwing motion and hide the ball behind your back.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

IIRC, epic weapons are necessarily magic too, and magic weapons have a 50% chance to hit incorporeal creatures even when they aren't ghost-touch. (When ghost-touch, they have a 100% chance to slice an allip into carpaccio.)

But being incorporal, an Allip can phase through the ground and poke the bottom of the Tarrasque's feet safe and sound! :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm sure those epic claws can go through dirt at least as well as incorporial creatures! Big T could just ready his action to attack if something attacks him first after the first drain and he's aware and then massacre the allip.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The point of the allip method isn't to provide an unbeatable way to defeat the tarrasque, it's to show that a level 3 caster can take down the tarrasque.

And, although this is starting to get incredibly nitpicky, the RAW about natural weapons reads "Such creatures’ natural weapons are also treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction," (emphasis mine) which leads me to believe that they don't get any of the other abilities of magic/epic weapons (such as the ability to hit incorporeal creatures), just the ability to bypass DR/magic and DR/epic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I thought the point (of that ruleset) was to be incredibly nitpicky? Good callout on that rule.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Has Rich ever drawn any Beholders? I love Beholders

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vadun posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html

Sure has.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It might be fun if, when they get to the next gate and meet a cavalcade of famous monsters, whomever takes them out does so with these sorts of goofy plans. Mostly just because while people come up with this stuff all the time you almost never see it actually happening in a game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vadun posted:

Yep, but IIRC only as part of a joke to say he wouldn't be drawing any more beholders (as they're part of 'Product Identity' and not covered by the OGL.)

Re the Tarrasque, rpg.net had one of its periodically brilliant setting riffs on a city built around the Tarrasque and ways it might be extrapolated. Pinioned on huge Adamantium pikes, perpetually flensed for its ever-regenerating flesh, the population addicted to its magical blood. It's pretty cool.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 10, 2013

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

sebmojo posted:

Yep, but IIRC only as part of a joke to say he wouldn't be drawing any more beholders (as they're part of 'Product Identity' and not covered by the OGL.)

Re the Tarrasque, rpg.net had one of its periodically brilliant setting riffs on a city built around the Tarrasque and ways it might be extrapolated. Pinioned on huge Adamantium pikes, perpetually flensed for its ever-regenerating flesh, the population addicted to its magical blood. It's pretty cool.

And if I recall someone extrapolated that situation for the populace to start mutating gaining some of the traits of the terrasque, becoming more aggressive more bestial and gaining a minor regeneration becoming trolls.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html
I really like the last panel on that strip.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If Girard's gate is destroyed before Xykon gets there, would the rift count for the Oracle's answer? Or would an exploded part of the gate hitting Xykon in the skull count?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm betting he beams in seconds before the Gate explodes, which for some reason or other will force the inevitable delay in teleporting straight to Kragor's gate.

Oh man, if he bites it and wakes up in the wrong place the drama is going to be magnificent.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
:siren: Oh hey, new comic! :siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0899.html

MikeJF posted:

I'm betting he beams in seconds before the Gate explodes, which for some reason or other will force the inevitable delay in teleporting straight to Kragor's gate.

So what did you bet? I hope it involved a lot of money :v:

We also don't get to see just what Belkar was thinking, so whatever it was, odds are it worked.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Okay, that made me laugh.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

There are no words to describe how pissed Xykon is going to be. He was in this book for less than ten pages!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Boldor posted:

:siren: Oh hey, new comic! :siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0899.html

So what did you bet? I hope it involved a lot of money :v:

We also don't get to see just what Belkar was thinking, so whatever it was, odds are it worked.

This strip's filename isn't random characters this time

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The comic title is 'prophecy fulfilled', I guess this must refer to Belkar's prophecy? So whatever his idea was, it's resulted in his death?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

DoctorTristan posted:

The comic title is 'prophecy fulfilled', I guess this must refer to Belkar's prophecy? So whatever his idea was, it's resulted in his death?

Nah its about Xykon arriving at Girards gate. We'd see Belkar dead if it were that prophecy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorTristan posted:

Roy's prophecy of which Gate Xykon would approach first. The one where he asked the overly-long question that actually ruled out the real Gate that was being threatened and all that. Xykon has now gotten within range of Girard's Gate, before he did Kragor's or however it's spelled.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or it's possible it's an evil joke because we're actually seeing Belkar's prophecy fulfilled as well and not realising that's the one which the title is referring to. That would be right up Burlew's alley.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So that little glowing sphere is V being protected I guess? Or, possibly the snarl's little zone of corruption.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cliff Racer posted:

So that little glowing sphere is V being protected I guess? Or, possibly the snarl's little zone of corruption.

The former, I imagine. Nice catch.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It seems to me it's the epicenter of the explosion. Unless you're talking about something else than the bright dot in the bottom of the crater.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

DrakePegasus posted:

There are no words to describe how pissed Xykon is going to be. He was in this book for less than ten pages!

He's also still pissed off at Redcloak for making him wait in Azure City. This is only going to make that worse.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Morand posted:

He's also still pissed off at Redcloak for making him wait in Azure City. This is only going to make that worse.

Well they could have been caught in the explosion. That would be pretty bad too.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Soylentbits posted:

Well they could have been caught in the explosion. That would be pretty bad too.

Xykon could've been here months ago while Roy was still dead if Redcloak hadn't wanted to play Sim Goblin.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I really laughed at this one. :3

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Even if the party gets V back and teams up with Nale and Co, dealing with an epic level lich and a high level cleric is going to be a bitch and a half.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

peak debt posted:

Xykon could've been here months ago while Roy was still dead if Redcloak hadn't wanted to play Sim Goblin.
I thought Xykon just didn't want to risk assaulting a gate without knowing where his phylactery was?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

misguided rage posted:

I thought Xykon just didn't want to risk assaulting a gate without knowing where his phylactery was?

O-Chul and V only had the chance to steal his phylactery because Team Evil were sitting idle in Azure City Gobbotopia

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ok, so that answers my question, time for a new one!

Just how much damage does an exploding pyramid do? They were standing right next to it and it looks like there's nothing left.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

mmkay posted:

Okay, that made me laugh.

Are you kidding me? That got a belly laugh out of me in public. This is the funniest strip I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

nimby posted:

Ok, so that answers my question, time for a new one!

Just how much damage does an exploding pyramid do? They were standing right next to it and it looks like there's nothing left.

Well O'Chul survived an explosion, a collapsing castle, and a fall square on his head from god knows how high so it can't be that much.