Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Octopus Magic posted:

Better hold onto Grandma's Dodge Dynasty, that could be worth MILLIONS!!

This poo poo annoys me, because it will most likely happen for no particular reason. Half the cars that are sold for such a high price on these auto auctions are usually a couple of guys just wanting to wave their dicks and see who can "win" out the other by pissing money away the fastest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Great example of why I will probably never own an aircooled 911 :negative:

BringATrailer Link

Jesus. I had not looked at prices recently.
Also, I see a ton of people _asking_ insane money for these on Ebay, but nothing closing near those prices. This one may go for crazy amounts, but I don't think the real market is supporting that level.

Edit: gently caress ME. I should NOT have sold my '73 912. I sold it, rust free, in reliable-driver condition for $6500 5 years ago.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 16, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

Edit: gently caress ME. I should NOT have sold my '73 912. I sold it, rust free, in reliable-driver condition for $6500 5 years ago.

I agree on your first point, and doubly so on the second. There was a time when I was possibly going to have to replace the truck about 12 years ago, and I remember then that ratty-rear end early 911s (the ones nobody wanted - 911Ts and the like) really weren't outside the realm of possibility for my well-under-$5k budget. They were the kind of 911 nobody should buy (neglected as all hell) but now even one in that kind of shape is drat near $20k.

I figure it's only a matter of time before the LWB aircooled cars - even the relatively unloved pre-SC models - rocket up to follow the earlier ones in price.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

I figure it's only a matter of time before the LWB aircooled cars - even the relatively unloved pre-SC models - rocket up to follow the earlier ones in price.

I notice that at least 1/3 of the later models have forward-dating body kits.
Probably really good money to be made buying those and back-dating/restoring them.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

keykey posted:

The reason that 850 isn't registered in CA and is for sale so cheap is because it's a schedule J vehicle which means it's a nightmare to smog every goddamn time which involves multiple trips to a smog shop, a written letter by the smog technician that it won't pass smog because of too many monitors open that will never close (even though that's the condition it's on the schedule J) and finally a trip to the referee station where it will finally be deemed road worthy which takes no less than 25 hours every time. Needless to say, schedule J is an ultra secret type of thing that seemingly no smog shop has ever heard of. I had to google to see why the monitors would stay open and it lead me down the rabbit hole of CA smog bullshit. Burn in hell car, I will never miss you! Chances are the guy selling that vehicle is running into the same thing but hasn't googled far enough. Also 36k miles!!! (odometer 38000) in ad.

someone in the volvo thread pointed out that it looks pretty beaten up and definitely doesn't have 34/6/8,000 miles on it

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

someone in the volvo thread pointed out that it looks pretty beaten up and definitely doesn't have 34/6/8,000 miles on it

It looks pretty clean to me, I'm assuming the beaten up they're referring to is the paint, but it looks like a typical CA bay area car photo with clouds reflecting not faded clear coat: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4561015986.html & http://4salehere.freewebspace.com/volvo.html

The only thing that's throwing me off is the odo in the description and picture. The title says 36k miles, but the odo reading in the description says 38k, however in pictures the odo reads 033014. Near as I can tell, they probably took a picture and have been slowly updating the odo? The only thing I can figure is it has smog related issues which is why it's still registered in Oregon. Maybe they tampered with smog stuff when it went to Oregon and never bothered to convert it back which is why it's cheap and as is? Maybe it has engine issue that's not being disclosed. There isn't a single picture that shows the dash lit up with the key in the ignition, so it could have a CEL that's not being disclosed in the ad.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

It looks pretty clean to me, I'm assuming the beaten up they're referring to is the paint, but it looks like a typical CA bay area car photo with clouds reflecting not faded clear coat: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4561015986.html & http://4salehere.freewebspace.com/volvo.html

The only thing that's throwing me off is the odo in the description and picture. The title says 36k miles, but the odo reading in the description says 38k, however in pictures the odo reads 033014. Near as I can tell, they probably took a picture and have been slowly updating the odo? The only thing I can figure is it has smog related issues which is why it's still registered in Oregon. Maybe they tampered with smog stuff when it went to Oregon and never bothered to convert it back which is why it's cheap and as is? Maybe it has engine issue that's not being disclosed. There isn't a single picture that shows the dash lit up with the key in the ignition, so it could have a CEL that's not being disclosed in the ad.

Depending on where in Oregon it's registered, it'd still have to pass smog. The closest real city to the California border, Medford, is one of the two smog check areas in the state (the other being the Portland metro area).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I want to DD this thing every loving day. Screw the Corolla.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 18, 2014

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

Last year when I was looking for a used Evo 9 / STi the most annoying thing was how highly these people valued their cars when they had serious issues. That and people listing their bugeye WRX as a WRX STi just because they had an STi engine engine swap and some stickers on the front bumper.

A dealership here in the bay area paid my friend $4500 for a bugeye with a VERY BADLY blown motor... When I say "badly blown" I mean when idling it looked like the motor was trying to chuck itself out of the engine bay... At least 3" of hobby-horsing up and down... Absolutely insane.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

This is begging to be turned into a killer sleeper, then I would also DD that poo poo.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeeesss. Embrace the greatness of green '70s sedans.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My first car was a green 77 Nova sedan.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

VideoTapir posted:

My first car was a green 77 Nova sedan.

Had a '72.
Have a '71.
:whatup:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh, if I had $900 on hand that Maverick would be in my driveway already. I have a friend that is trying to scratch up enough funds to buy it, I really hope he succeeds.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

are these cool

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4549646147.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This seems like it might be alright

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4553090317.html

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 24, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

This seems like it might be alright

Holy photoshop Batman.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, but the wagon is cooler.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Holy photoshop Batman.

Bertone cut the roof lower for style,and the Landau top hides the welds. They are pretty neat.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

animeliker posted:

Bertone cut the roof lower for style,and the Landau top hides the welds. They are pretty neat.

And its a manual which are pretty drat rare. Every time I see a volvo bertone its a auto.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

animeliker posted:

Also they added HDR, which is good for 20 horsepower.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

VideoTapir posted:

Also they added HDR, which is good for 20 horsepower.

Don't knock it till you try it. Over processed photos seem to help with getting interest in whatever you're selling.

Or the allure of mystery from most of the half assed ads I see.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I want to buy this only to rallycross it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4577855420.html

:argh:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Link

Weren't we just talking about classic Porsches?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

"just needs valve job" == needs to have valves excavated from the top of the pistons (assuming that's an interference engine).

Yeah, totally easy fix, no sweat at all bro.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

More like "needs a motor" because that would probably be cheaper than having it fixed.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Hm. Don't see many low mile, (relatively) non-riced examples of these: 43,800 miles 1999 Eclipse GSX

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 21, 2014

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Dr.Caligari posted:

Hm. Don't see many low mile, (relatively) non-riced examples of these: 43,800 miles 1999 Eclipse GSX

Pacesetter exhaust manifold. Ugh.

It was clean at one point, but it has the typical mods and garbage that someone with no real set vision for the car started throwing parts at it.

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006
What do you guys think of this? '72 Celica w 44,000 miles for $2000. The only thing that makes me not want it is that its a chopped convertible. Still might get it anyways since its really cheap and looks to be in pretty good shape.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4564918053.html

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I wonder how wobbly it is with the doors open

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Couldn't be squishier than that Cavalier ute we had around here a while ago. Which was awesome, naturally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

"just needs valve job" == needs to have valves excavated from the top of the pistons (assuming that's an interference engine).

Yeah, totally easy fix, no sweat at all bro.

The Volvo I just sold just needed a valve adjustment, when I told the guy I misspoke and said 'valve job,' almost scared him away right there. Of course, valve adjustments aren't any easier if you don't know what you're doing.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 21, 2014

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

$900 1982 Ford EXP posted:

Smells bad despite detailing

Looking at that seat, I wonder why..

Also I want this.

Chevy Jaguar posted:

The power windows work sometimes (more often not working) and the speedometer is not working.
Don't even care, this looks fun.

Edit;

I can't see past the bumpers, really.

260z shooting brake posted:

1976 Jensen GT--one of 511 of this body style that were made. Designed by Donald Healey of Austin Healey fame. There were 260 cars sent to the U.S. This car was sold new in England to a U.S. service man. It still has the original English plates on it. This is the only plate that has ever been on the car. The serviceman drove it in England for a time and then had it shipped to Omaha, Nebraska where it was purchased by the gent that I got it from. That was in 1979, at which time he put it in a steel shed ---I got it out a few months ago. 35 years in that building and it never moved. I believe everything on the car is pretty much original except for the tires. This still has the original Lucas battery and flat Lucas headlights. Absolutely NO RUST out on this car. There are a few small spots of surface rust from all the years of sitting, but that's it. The underside is like new--the pictures don't show how good it is. The interior is amazing with the exception of the slightly sagged headliner and missing radio.
I have not attempted to start the car--it does turn over freely. The clutch seems good and the trans shifts thru all the gears. This is a non-A/C car, 5-speed, power windows,Lotus 907 Twin-cam engine, twin Stromberg carbs, Front disc brakes -drum rear. All the glass is excellent, as is the chrome and emblems. Everything on this car is quite nice, and you would have to see it to believe how well it stayed thru all those years of storage. The tires were put on new in 1979, and then it was put away. They have some checking now.
This car is Model #1610----Vehicle # 30136----Options 31101/M stamped on vin tag ---This car was sold new in England but it is LEFTHAND drive---making it one of 293 lefthand drive cars built.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 23, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Wally Joyner posted:

Also I want this.

Has there ever been a V8 GM transplant on CL that isn't a :siren: Corvette Engine:siren:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

Has there ever been a V8 GM transplant on CL that isn't a :siren: Corvette Engine:siren:

I'd care less than it being a ~corvette~ engine an more what production code the engine is. I'd rather have something like a generic Vortec from a late 90's truck than some hunk of smog-pumped garbage from a late 70's C3.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
An 1947 International Dump Trunk.

http://wausau.craigslist.org/cto/4527608169.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Wally Joyner posted:

Edit;

There's one of these down the street from me; I didn't know they were so rare.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Wally Joyner posted:

Those bumpers are held on by a couple of (probably rusted-through) bolts. That is the least concerning element.

35 years? Lucas Electrics? Impossible to get parts? What could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Used to have one of these for years, loved it. Thought about buying another one for a long term project. just noticed this fine paint job :nms: