Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
OP: Thank you very much for this thread. Seriously, there is almost an overload of information.

My stupid cat recently started peeing out of litter box and I was kind of at a loss about what to do. After reading the OP's post, I've decided that a visit to the Vet is in order. I seriously hope nothing is wrong with his fat rear end. Then I will apply most if not all solution proposed.

I do have another problem that was not discussed tho.. Maybe someone might have ideas.

Several years ago, my female cat was pregnant and had kittens. I decided to keep one of them (the fat rear end that now pees outside the box). For some reason, my female cat will not stop beating the poo poo out of her kid. She's now around 13 years old while he must be between 6 and 8. From the moment he was a few months old, she has not stopped beating his rear end.

I'm not talking about big cat fights or anything. But she will go out of her way to hit him once or twice, then walk away. He seems just as confused about this as I am. At first I assumed it was because it was her way to let him know its about drat time he leaves the den. Then I spoke to a few people who also have mother/son pair of cats, and they all told me they have never witnessed this type of behavior.

What could be the cause of this behavior? Could it be as I suspect, or something else?

Fake Edit: The funny part is how treacherous she is about it. She'll go see him, cuddle against him.. Lick him a few times to get his guard down and then WHAM, jab to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My two unrelated, same aged cats do the same thing - it could just be a personality thing. They generally co-exist well but sometimes the black cat decides it's all on and smacks the poo poo out of the fluffy one. He also does the nuzzle-nuzzle-lick-groom-bite-your-loving-NECK thing. Basically they just have two completely different mismatched approaches to playing.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Anecdote time:

Long ago in a four-cat household, Cat #2 was generally disliked by all the other cats and was picked on, despite being the biggest and the mellowest. She did have tard strength when put to the test, though, and the other cats learned just how far they could antagonize her before Hulk-out time. All of them would do the Flehmen huff on her hindquarters and sometimes wherever she used the litterbox (in one of four boxes). She developed diabetes and I think all three of the other cats knew that something was off about her long before her symptoms became apparent to the humans. I think part of it, too, was that she just didn't know how to cat very well and was a little slow in general, but they would tolerate her most of the time for watch-my-back grooming / eating / napping parties.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

internet inc posted:

My cat is an rear end in a top hat pees and poops all over the house every time I clean her litter box, but only for a few days. This has been going on for a few months now and I've never had a problem in the 4-5 years I've had her. I changed litter brand a few months before this started happening so I never really thought this could've been the problem, but I can't see what else it could be. She was never picky about brands/types of litter before. I also tried to leave soiled litter behind when I change it but it doesn't really help.

What makes it not okay to go for a few days but then everything returns to normal? Could the new litter smell so strong she doesn't like it until the smell dies down, or something?

I recently bought litter I know she was fine with before, but I'm afraid to change it now as she just started being clean again after a litter change. I'll probably wait until I have to clean it again before returning to the old brand.

It sounds like I have it all figured out but I want to know if I'm missing something? Is there anything I could do to help the transition? A friend mentioned hormones of some kind that would help? I have no idea what she meant.

Our cat was a really good cat, and never used to piss anywhere he shouldn't. Then he pissed in our bedroom twice. A month or so later he died of cancer (we found out about a week before we put him down). This is one of those things that are "if your cat starts behaving differently, maybe take them in". I would, at least but I'm no cat expert.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
We took her to the vet earlier today because soon after I posted she peed again but there was blood on the paper towel this time. We'll have the results tomorrow. :ohdear:

This is so strange. She's being doing this for at least 6-7 months, and only when her litter box is clean. She eventually stops and starts peeing/pooping in her box again and everything is fine until we have to clean the litter again. Not to mention, if this is some kind of infection/kidney stone/whatever how the hell does it come and go precisely when we clean her litter box? Plus, why would she poop all over the house if this is something other than a behaviour issue?

She doesn't have other infection symptoms or anything like that. I hope it's not cancer. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's probably associating the litterbox with pain when trying to go, so she goes elsewhere, doesnt help, goes back. Hope you find out what's wrong soon.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Have found myself in a bit of an awkward situation. My friend's mother is being evicted from her home at short notice, and I've agreed to take on two of her cats as temporary fosters. I already have two cats. They are related to the fosters, and lived together as kittens, but 18 months later they don't know each other.

Have had no time to prepare, simply came home with two extra cats. Not a lot of space in my home, so I've set up two separate feeding/water stations in different rooms, and two litter boxes similarly. All cats are neutered and healthy, although the female foster is extremely shy. Kept a door between them for the first hour, checked on all four regularly and let them sniff me as I moved between them. The male foster and my boy are now in the same room and facing off with a little light hissing and growling, both girls are keeping to themselves. Is there anything else I can do to make this situation as painless as possible?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

My sisters cat (who was also my cat for a many years before we all left home) has lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Is he pretty much walking dead at this point? At least 15+ years old(was a shelter cat I'm not sure of exact age)

Turns out it is cancer. Not sure what kind of chance a pet has of surviving cancer but I get the feeling its not good.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

cheesetriangles posted:

Turns out it is cancer. Not sure what kind of chance a pet has of surviving cancer but I get the feeling its not good.

Depends on the cancer but... It sounds like your buddy is in really bad shape. I'm sorry. :(

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Galaspar posted:

Have found myself in a bit of an awkward situation. My friend's mother is being evicted from her home at short notice, and I've agreed to take on two of her cats as temporary fosters. I already have two cats. They are related to the fosters, and lived together as kittens, but 18 months later they don't know each other.

Have had no time to prepare, simply came home with two extra cats. Not a lot of space in my home, so I've set up two separate feeding/water stations in different rooms, and two litter boxes similarly. All cats are neutered and healthy, although the female foster is extremely shy. Kept a door between them for the first hour, checked on all four regularly and let them sniff me as I moved between them. The male foster and my boy are now in the same room and facing off with a little light hissing and growling, both girls are keeping to themselves. Is there anything else I can do to make this situation as painless as possible?

That sounds like pretty standard cat politics. As long as it doesn't go beyond a few swats, that's just normal territorial hashing out. Some groups end up doing it more than others, but that's just how cats figure poo poo out. I wouldn't worry unless there's actual violence.

You should get more litter boxes. Unless I'm reading you wrong, you have 2, and the number should be more like 5.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

hoobajoo posted:

You should get more litter boxes. Unless I'm reading you wrong, you have 2, and the number should be more like 5.

Will do. My own cats are bonded siblings, so sharing a box has never been a problem, but I can see how more boxes could help.

The foster girl went straight from her carrier to the darkest corner of my kitchen, think she'll be there a while. The boy meanwhile is happily eating and quite affectionate, I think he'll do well here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why do you need so many litter boxes? For 4 cats I'd imagine you'd need exactly 4, but someone last page also said you'd want 3 for 2 cats. This just seems like a waste of money in the form of buying more litter, time to clean that extra one, and space to put it in. For the record both my sister and an ex have two cats and they seem fine with just 1 litter box?

e: if I were to adopt 2 cats, would I want MM, MF, or FF? I'm a guy if it matters.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 24, 2015

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do you need so many litter boxes? For 4 cats I'd imagine you'd need exactly 4, but someone last page also said you'd want 3 for 2 cats. This just seems like a waste of money in the form of buying more litter, time to clean that extra one, and space to put it in. For the record both my sister and an ex have two cats and they seem fine with just 1 litter box?

e: if I were to adopt 2 cats, would I want MM, MF, or FF? I'm a guy if it matters.

Because many cats will refuse to share boxes, or may not even use a box once they've gone in it once. The general advice is to have n+1 boxes, where n is the number of cats in the house. That being said plenty of them do fine with sharing, but a lot of them don't, and having more options available to kitty makes kitty less likely to poo poo on the floor.

I've heard MF pairs are easiest, but as with most things it depends largely on the personalities of the cats in question.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's a lot easier to clean an extra litter box than it is to clean piss and poo poo off carpet.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
CAT UPDATE: They are getting along better but Alice, the older one, still hisses if sudden movements are made in her direction.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Therion posted:

CAT UPDATE: They are getting along better but Alice, the older one, still hisses if sudden movements are made in her direction.

why does the one on the right look like it got punched in the face?

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Deviant posted:

Her face shape always makes her look either curious or derisive.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Deviant posted:

That's a breed thing, it's the same reason pugs have their smoosh face.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

My cat got his tail pinched under the recliner two weeks ago, and I didn't think anything of it. Checked him out, nothing out of place, winced a bit when he'd whack it on things but otherwise seemed okay. Today I found out he gnawed it to the point where it's given him a degloving injury on the tip of his tail. He's going to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any experience with this?

On top of everything I move in nine days. I've never moved with a cat before, let alone an injured one. Any advice would be very welcome.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

DOOMocrat posted:

On top of everything I move in nine days. I've never moved with a cat before, let alone an injured one. Any advice would be very welcome.
Cross-town or cross-country? Either way, you'll probably want to give him a room to himself closed off from the commotion on the day of the move with a sign on the door so any help you have won't pester him and to keep him from running away (assuming he's indoor-only).

And on top of that make sure everyone loving KNOWS not to open that door. On our last move we had a friend not pay attention or think it wouldn't be a big deal to check on them and one of the cats got out. Luckily we trapped her in another room and she didn't make it outside, but we were a little pissed.

Personally I'd move him last, so everything is settled at the new place by the time he gets there. Moving is pretty traumatic for a cat, so you want to try to minimize stressors.

A calming collar or something similar would probably be a good idea too. The sooner the better, since you're probably already disrupting his territory with packing.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Is there any way to teach my cat to clean her butt better?

She has bloody poops sometimes. We took her to the vet, he said "nothing inside" and we gave her antibiotics and probiotics for a week, he said she's all good, just happens sometimes if they're constipated/don't clean right. Pretty sure she's not constipated, I have got in the habit of checking. She just doesn't link her butt or clean it good, is there anything I can do to get her to clean it better or am I stuck wiping her cat rear end for the rest of her life?

She's almost a year old, fixed just before we've got her (just under 12 weeks old), she is as active and affectionate as usual, just got a gross butt.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ilysespieces posted:

Is there any way to teach my cat to clean her butt better?

She has bloody poops sometimes. We took her to the vet, he said "nothing inside" and we gave her antibiotics and probiotics for a week, he said she's all good, just happens sometimes if they're constipated/don't clean right. Pretty sure she's not constipated, I have got in the habit of checking. She just doesn't link her butt or clean it good, is there anything I can do to get her to clean it better or am I stuck wiping her cat rear end for the rest of her life?

She's almost a year old, fixed just before we've got her (just under 12 weeks old), she is as active and affectionate as usual, just got a gross butt.

Ew, you have my sympathy. I'm not sure there's a way to teach her to clean herself off better but you could get her butt shaved at least so less of it gets on her and it's easier to clean off. I would be really concerned about blood being involved and probably try a different vet if it were me but I don't actually have any medical knowledge or anything, just that seems really weird and worrying to me.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
My cat lately likes to climb between the sheets (I think the expression is) to warm up in the morning, which is cute but makes me sleep late. drat your adorable ways, cat!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Cross posting here in case this somehow applies to someone else for reference:

WHATS IN THE BAAAAAAAG

it's poké and someone tore him a new rear end in a top hat

:nms: slightly gross photo of cat rear end here :nms:

so, we took him to the vet, poké was calm at first, then getting mrow panicky and trying to scratch his way out

of course when we get there, there's the vet's office smell and like hell he's getting out of that bag when opened

vet cat was there, chill as always

also probably one of the few cats on this earth that don't mind the smell of a vet's office since, well, he lives there

vet says it's an anal sac abscess, so he probably had an obstruction, there was inflammation, and then it just popped out the back or whatever

so, shot time

so this stuff is apparently from the US and made out of strangled dogs, and is good for curing what ails poké and i guess also for pitbulls with road rash of the face. a 3 ml bottle is 100 USD, poké just needed a 1ml injection so 30 bucks, no followup oral medicine necessary with this thank god

YOU MOTHERUFUCKERS

after that, they put some powder on his butthole (pic not gross, but linking anyway) and we get to powder his rear end for a while

got home and he was fine and didnt hate me or anything

tl;dr: cat looked like he got torn a new rear end in a top hat next to The Original, turns out to be an anal sac abscess, required an injection and will need butthole powdering for a while so pretty simple actually

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Do you ever need to bathe an indoor cat if its coat looks good and doesn't get greasy or smelly? Just got confronted by a cat ladyish type over this when I've said that I haven't bathed my cat in probably six years and her coat has always looked superb. She never scratches herself either. She hated being bathed too and got very aggressive over it (even compared to usual cat standards).

Also, unrelated, but is being held something that you should get a cat used to? I have a new kitten and she really doesn't like it when I hold her. I don't want to make her uncomfortable but on the other hand my older cat has a semi feral personality and this may be because of the fact that back then I was an inexperienced cat owner and haven't spent enough time with her, and probably enabled some of her aggressive behavior like biting. Although, this probably has to do more with me getting my older cat when she was 1 month old. But still - should I be trying to hold or pet a kitten when she doesn't seem to welcome it so she gets used to it, or is it more of a matter of an individual cat's inborn personality?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Therion posted:

Do you ever need to bathe an indoor cat if its coat looks good and doesn't get greasy or smelly? Just got confronted by a cat ladyish type over this when I've said that I haven't bathed my cat in probably six years and her coat has always looked superb. She never scratches herself either. She hated being bathed too and got very aggressive over it (even compared to usual cat standards).

Also, unrelated, but is being held something that you should get a cat used to? I have a new kitten and she really doesn't like it when I hold her. I don't want to make her uncomfortable but on the other hand my older cat has a semi feral personality and this may be because of the fact that back then I was an inexperienced cat owner and haven't spent enough time with her, and probably enabled some of her aggressive behavior like biting. Although, this probably has to do more with me getting my older cat when she was 1 month old. But still - should I be trying to hold or pet a kitten when she doesn't seem to welcome it so she gets used to it, or is it more of a matter of an individual cat's inborn personality?

Cats are self-cleaning, and if there are issues with them not grooming or having nasty fur its probably worth a vet visit. You don't need to wash your cat pretty much ever, unless they got into something.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Luther gets in the shower with me most mornings of the week and, when I had a tub/shower in the last apartment, he used to wade around up to his chest whenever I'd soak in Epsom salts. Every once-in-a-while now I clear off the kitchen sink counter, lay out some towels, and let him play in the sink as it fills. Then disinfect errthing. :gonk:

If anyone has a cat that's into sinks and you get a chance to remodel a bathroom, consider an above-the-counter bowl sink. This apartment has a clear glass one and dude is seriously into it. My sink has lever faucet that he would sometimes turn on, so I fit a PVC pipe over it to stop that bullshit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Therion posted:

Get the cat used to you handling its paws and mouth. Doesnt have to be 'I LOVE THIS!', they just have to tolerate it long enough for you to give a claw clip and toothbrushing. Just holding its paws and poking at its mouth should be a good starting point.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Still haven't figured out a way to get my cat to clean her butt better, but I'm kind of honored that her poop butt was a good fit for the thread title. Will update with any butt cleaning progress.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Put tuna water on her butt.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ilysespieces posted:

Still haven't figured out a way to get my cat to clean her butt better, but I'm kind of honored that her poop butt was a good fit for the thread title. Will update with any butt cleaning progress.

:cheers:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Put tuna water on her butt.

I was actually just told this recently, I was also told that someone got their cat to clean their butt better by spraying her butt with water (not after it just used the litter box), I'll probably try water first then tuna water.

Thanks.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Is she overweight? She might have trouble reaching her butthole if she has flab in the way. My friend's cat was just slightly overweight when she adopted him, and his butthole was always super gross. He trimmed down after a month or so and his butt was magically beautiful un-poopy

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Not a question, but some boasting about my recently come-of-age cat, Tesla. I posted here a few months ago about some issues we were having with him right after he got here, but man, has all of that changed.

As he got bigger, he really did grow out of a lot of the kitten things that I was upset about, he couldn't fit behind the TV and go around into the cables, and though he still had his kitten crazies, he was generally more and more sedate as time went on.

We kept to a routine for the past 4 months of keeping him in a spare room at night with his bed, food, water, and litter during bedtime, and he was always eager to please by showing us how he understood our routine. He wouldn't cry, and generally wouldn't make a mess of papers or other things in that room. He'd just go to bed, knowing we'd let him out in the morning.

Well, all of this changed last week when my girlfriend and I went away for a 4 days to see my sister and attend her wedding. We proofed the house, had someone available to come and check on him while we were gone, and decided that it would be best to allow him free reign over the house, minus the bedroom, so as to allay his fears of us not being there.

Our friend texted me on the 3rd night to say that he visited and that Tesla was, "the friendliest cat I've ever met," which was high praise because he has got two of the friendliest cats I've ever met.

However, when we got back, he was so jazzed to see us he never stopped purring and wouldn't calm down, understandably so. When it came time to go to bed, I put him in his room and went to ours. It wasn't a few minutes when we started to hear the crying, and while it wasn't terrible, it was heartbreaking. Our little man had been so good this weekend, nothing was broken, and all was accounted for.

It was then we began to discuss how maybe Tesla had grown up over the days we were away, at home, in the dark alone, he must have used crying as a way to calm himself, and so we decided to let him roam the living room free at night, he had earned it.

Of course, he immediately began to harass our door, he knew we were home, why the gently caress weren't we hanging out with him? My girlfriend then wanted to know if we should let him into the room, to which I said no, because if we did it once, we wouldn't be able to go back. So we tolerated it that night. He cried a bit, then played by himself and greeted us the next day.

The next night I was prepared for the same treatment, but amazingly, he wasn't needy. It's as if he was like, "Alright, ya'll, see you in the morning *jumps on the counter and rubs his butt on our things*" He doesn't cry at night, and doesn't harass. He knows we'll be there in the morning and that arrangement is just fine for him. I've never raised a kitten before, and this was seriously a formative experience for me, to leave a baby, and come home to an adult.

tl:dr: We left our 8 month old kitten at home alone for a few days, and came home to an 8 month old cat who had established his own routine in our absence. Our routines have merged and it's a very happy household.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

CompactFanny posted:

Is she overweight? She might have trouble reaching her butthole if she has flab in the way. My friend's cat was just slightly overweight when she adopted him, and his butthole was always super gross. He trimmed down after a month or so and his butt was magically beautiful un-poopy

Not particularly, and she's been like this since she was a tiny kitten (we got her at 11 weeks). We are cutting down her food portions anyway, hopefully that helps a bit. She def doesn't have problems reaching, she just don't do it often.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Therion posted:

If you can wash your cat without him/her trying to tear your skin off, do it once a year, I say. It's also quite entertaining. But I can't figure out why cat lady got so mad at you. :confused:

I wash my friendly cat once a year or whenever his butt smells awful ( :gonk: ). My rear end in a top hat cat has never been washed because I can barely pick him up, let alone put water on him.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I give my old girl a wash in the spring once it's warm. Helps get all that old fur out so she's not shedding like crazy. Don't need cat-sized dust bunnies around.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is anybody else's cat obsessed with chips? It's not even a particular type of chip, pringles, cornchips, potato chips all in different flavors. Opening a packet of chips in our house is like opening a packet of cooked chicken.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They like the powder I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bowmore posted:

Is anybody else's cat obsessed with chips? It's not even a particular type of chip, pringles, cornchips, potato chips all in different flavors. Opening a packet of chips in our house is like opening a packet of cooked chicken.

Cats love chips. Salt, maybe?