Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Someone tell me in very short words what I need to do to my 3ds to get it to play that aforementioned patched DQM game. I have an XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Someone tell me in very short words what I need to do to my 3ds to get it to play that aforementioned patched DQM game. I have an XL.

there are no short words but this guide is pretty foolproof

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Why make a good game at a reasonable price when one can make an incomplete, RNG-heavy piece of fluff and charge people money to buy something that can be infinitely replicated at virtually no cost? I've wanted a DragonQuest tactics game for a long time, but I wanted something like FFT or Let Us Cling Together with a DQ aesthetic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Why make a good game at a reasonable price when one can make an incomplete, RNG-heavy piece of fluff and charge people money to buy something that can be infinitely replicated at virtually no cost? I've wanted a DragonQuest tactics game for a long time, but I wanted something like FFT or Let Us Cling Together with a DQ aesthetic.

I would kill someone for this

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can sideload patches on the fly with Luma CFW I think, but failing that you can dump the cart and patch it or just run it in Citra.

It looks like dumping a cart is pretty easy so I'm gonna try that (once I can find where I stored the drat thing)

e: I need to hack my 3ds to do that as well? Shiiiiit.

Deki fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 3, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

JustJeff88 posted:

That's what gacha is. It's like you're complaining about a DQ golf game when you wanted a DQ racing game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

That's what gacha is. It's like you're complaining about a DQ golf game when you wanted a DQ racing game.

i will never understand what drives people to police other people's posts in this way

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'd prob play a DQ racer, would be a good new Rocket Slime maybe. Gimme playable Chrono Twigger.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

Not really? It's more like complaining about a DQ golf game that's too monetization- and RNG-driven when you would like a DQ golf game that's just a straight-up DQ golf game.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Did they change drops in the mobile version of DQVIII? I've killed hundreds of Fat Bats and haven't had a single wing of bat drop.

e: finally got one

Flavius Aetass fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 4, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

My point is that when you purposely download and play a gacha game, it's odd to complain when it has gacha features.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

My point is that when you purposely download and play a gacha game, it's odd to complain when it has gacha features.

they're complaining that the game was made as a gacha at all, instead of a similar concept being made into a real game. that's sort of really obvious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, all I'm trying to say is that DQ Monsters tactics game is really cool and I wish they'd just made that instead of a gacha. I get :capitalism: and all that but I think all anyone is saying is "DQ Tact is all right but god drat a full DQ Tactics game would whip rear end."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Ninth Layer posted:

Not an april fool's prank either. Incredible news, I had lost hope it would ever get translated.
holy poo poo this is amazing thank you thread for informing me

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
For all 3 of us playing the DQM2 translation. Apparently some monsters can only come from random eggs. That's something (among many others) I somehow missed in my Japanese run. These monsters are also often core pieces of S rank monsters.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Is there a mod that swaps out DQ11’s music with, like, Octopaths OST or something? Even if it doesn’t fit amazingly, it would be such an overall improvement to by far my most disliked part of the game. Switching out to other DQ music isn’t enough for me either, I don’t even like the compositions let alone the lack of variety in the different town biomes etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are definitely mods that swap in the DQ8 soundtrack, at least, which is a lot better all around (though the battle music still isn't great). By default the XI S version lets you swap to the DQ8 overworld theme which I strongly recommend.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Harrow posted:

By default the XI S version lets you swap to the DQ8 overworld theme which I strongly recommend.

it lets you loving what?

where were you about 15 hours of my play time ago, Harrow? :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

it lets you loving what?

where were you about 15 hours of my play time ago, Harrow? :negative:

Mourn for those lost hours listening to the bad music, but rejoice for future hours of good music :hmmyes:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nexus doesn't have any full-soundtrack swaps, which makes sense unfortunately. even the one that switches in the DQ8 soundtrack needed a lot of work to get it looping properly etc, and it still isn't seamless

baffling how lousy this series' music is. i can barely pick up the melody in half its tracks

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the ultra-nationalistic bigoted piece of dogshit they have had composing dq's music from the beginning will prolly be dead soon anyway so hopefully we won't have to worry about it for dq12

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Oxxidation posted:

baffling how lousy this series' music is. i can barely pick up the melody in half its tracks

I've always liked DQ music, including the chiptunes and SFC titles :shrug: Then again, I'm not super huge into classical, so my ear is rather uneducated in that sense.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Ofecks posted:

I've always liked DQ music, including the chiptunes and SFC titles :shrug: Then again, I'm not super huge into classical, so my ear is rather uneducated in that sense.

I've always liked it too. I think DQ's music is rather well regarded. Until recently anyways, after the composer got too old. And too crazy.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 10, 2021

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I disliked a lot of the music in 11 and I was prepared to dislike it overall because of how much of a piece of poo poo Sugiyama is, but yeah I’ve been liking a lot of what I’ve heard throughout the series. I think my biggest issue is that I kind of understand what he’s going for with how he tends to compose boss music but I don’t really like it. His boss themes seem kind of plodding and discordant, which I feel like is supposed to emphasize how scary they are but honestly they kind of bore me.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

DQ music rules I think DQ11 just needed a better overworld theme.

snohax
May 30, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

Not an april fool's prank either. Incredible news, I had lost hope it would ever get translated.

I muddled through a playthrough of DQM2 in Japanese a couple years ago and am extremely excited to play it again in English.

One of the translation authors put together a guide in google docs. It has all the monsters, but is still missing a lot of information on breeding and traits. At the very least, you can use it to get the Japanese name for any given monster and look them up elsewhere. I got a ton of mileage out of this site in particular once I got deep into monster fusion in my original playthrough: https://game-cap.com/dqm2/

For anyone getting into this for the first time, you can get through to the credits just fine without looking up recipes or trying to min/max things. The post-game on the other hand is pretty extensive, and from what I remember steps up its game significantly. So once you hit that point, or if you have some favorite monsters you want to work towards, you'll want to start looking things up.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Social Animal posted:

Yeah I’ve enjoyed a lot of music in the game so far it’s just that the overworld theme is very bombastic and very, very repetitive.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mode 7 posted:

Yeah I’ve enjoyed a lot of music in the game so far it’s just that the overworld theme is very bombastic and very, very repetitive.

The overworld theme completely ruins some of the more somber story moments.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MadmanIncorporated posted:

For anyone getting into this for the first time, you can get through to the credits just fine without looking up recipes or trying to min/max things. The post-game on the other hand is pretty extensive, and from what I remember steps up its game significantly. So once you hit that point, or if you have some favorite monsters you want to work towards, you'll want to start looking things up.

The library also unlocks recipes for certain breeding levels once you've caught enough monsters at that tier and gotten so far in the story.

Shame you can't just cheese the breeding tree by making approximately 200 andraels like you could in the original games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Social Animal posted:

It needed another 4 or 5 songs IMO. The three they had get used way too much and the overworld theme isn't as good as Superstar Saga's battle theme so it hangs around too much.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As a musician, Koichi Sugiyama peaked around 30 years ago.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ofecks posted:

The chiptune stuff is actually Racist Piece of poo poo's best work for the series; especially given how young the technology was at the time, he had an incredible understanding of how to make melody with only a few sound channels. I agree that the more recent stuff is often kind of forgettable, but I can recall a lot of the chiptune stuff perfectly in part because it's good. (It also happens to be when he still actually put effort into DQ soundtracks.)

A shame he just swallowed Tojo-era imperialist bullshit wholeheartedly as a teenager and never, ever grew beyond it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

SpaceDrake posted:

The chiptune stuff is actually Racist Piece of poo poo's best work for the series; especially given how young the technology was at the time, he had an incredible understanding of how to make melody with only a few sound channels. I agree that the more recent stuff is often kind of forgettable, but I can recall a lot of the chiptune stuff perfectly in part because it's good. (It also happens to be when he still actually put effort into DQ soundtracks.)

If I had to pick one chip OST it would be DQ2 (the FC/NES original). There's something really wonderful about the specific wavetable instrumentation that was used in just that title, that was dropped for 3 and 4. It was really bold and punchy. All the sound effects, too. That might be a credit to the sound programmer(s) instead of Sugiyama, though. Both overworld themes are good, but I give a slight nod to the first, and wish it got more use before being completely replaced only ¼ through the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgmTEhD7VpU

This also gives me a good excuse to post one of my favorite YT vids ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFoaxURoV4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've heard a lot of hype surrounding sylvando since DQ11 was released and he lived up to all of it in his opening cutscene and keeps getting better from there, this guy is a delight

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In a game full of great characters, Sylvando is the best and it's not even close.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sylvando:
When I first met Sylvando, I was waiting for the turn, if that makes sense. Like he's a famous hyper competent performer dude, it would have been so easy to make him an rear end in a top hat, and you could probably wring a decent character arc out of that. But no! He's a genuinely nice dude, and doesn't even throw Prince Faris under the bus like I thought he might. And most of the cast is along for the journey because of Destiny, or Duty, or they're your relatives, and Sylvando is just kinda "I want to help people and make them happy, I bet killing the king of evil would make a lot of people happy" and he's 100% on board from there. (Sorry Erik I genuinely can't remember his character motivation, is he just BBFs after the prologue?)

Anyway, I love him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

YggiDee posted:

Sylvando:
When I first met Sylvando, I was waiting for the turn, if that makes sense. Like he's a famous hyper competent performer dude, it would have been so easy to make him an rear end in a top hat, and you could probably wring a decent character arc out of that. But no! He's a genuinely nice dude, and doesn't even throw Prince Faris under the bus like I thought he might. And most of the cast is along for the journey because of Destiny, or Duty, or they're your relatives, and Sylvando is just kinda "I want to help people and make them happy, I bet killing the king of evil would make a lot of people happy" and he's 100% on board from there. (Sorry Erik I genuinely can't remember his character motivation, is he just BBFs after the prologue?)

Anyway, I love him.

Erik's story happens further in with his sister. His motivation to join up was because a fortune teller told him to after he searched high and low for how to save his sister. After he gets the red orb and the hero shows up in jail with him, he's ride or die with him. I can't remember if the teller was actually the spirit of good Morcant or not A3 was hazy.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

A big thanks to everyone who mentioned Dragon Quest Monsters 2. I had no idea that translation was out. I fired it up at work last night, and next thing I know four hours had passed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Erik wants to win Duelist Kingdom so his sister can afford the surgery to cure her blindness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

i've heard a lot of hype surrounding sylvando since DQ11 was released and he lived up to all of it in his opening cutscene and keeps getting better from there, this guy is a delight

You haven't seen anything yhet.