Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Default Maxwell TDP is like, 180W, but only because they underclocked it from 275W, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

980 Ti and TiX are 250, but I think they'll each take a 20% OC even without BIOS shenanigans.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So there you go. Yes. NVidia *could* make a 300W card. Some cursory Wikipedia-ing shows that everything 780 and up was 250W+, and the Titan Z was 375W (but a dual-GPU card.)

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I don't think we'll see any more high end cards till Pascal hits in 2016 but they could definitely make a 300+ watt card.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So there you go. Yes. NVidia *could* make a 300W card. Some cursory Wikipedia-ing shows that everything 780 and up was 250W+, and the Titan Z was 375W (but a dual-GPU card.)

Other high power nvidia cards include the always hot 480, the 295 and the 690.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bleh Maestro posted:

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-fury-x-specs-fiji/

Must admit the specs are huge. I'm real interested to see real world performance, but holy cow 300W per card? Could Nvidia make a maxwell card with that kind of wattage? Does it increase performance relatively linearly or is that just not how it works

Hmmm, interesting, while the jump in SPUs is around what I would expect the ROPs doubled which will help at high resolutions. I wonder how 4GB of vram will work out at 4k and such? Going by TFLOPS the Fury will be around 30% faster than a 290X while the Fury X will be 50% faster. Those TDPs are really high but that should not hurt them much with the enthusiast crowd these are aimed at.

Looking at benchmarks for W3 at 1440p a 290X gets an average FPS of 38, if we increase that by 30% to get a rough estimate of Fury's performance that brings it to 49 FPS which is about the same as a 980. If Fury X is 50% faster than the 290X as the TFLOPS suggest it ends up with 57 FPS at 1440p in W3 which makes it right around as fast as a 980ti or Titan X. If we look at GTA5 the 290X is pulling 36 FPS at 4k, Fury with a 30% increase would put it at 47 FPS, 4 FPS better than a 980 which manages 43 FPS. Fury X would get 54 FPS on average, putting it right in or maybe a tiny bit above 980 ti/Titan X territory.

Now to see how real benchmarks turn out and what these end up costing. :getin:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gwaihir posted:

Titans and whatnot can juuust about hit 60 FPS in 4k at high settings reliably, so yea. Choosing between 4k or something like the Acer XB270hu is no contest, take the second one every time. I don't really see much of an advantage to 4k for gaming compared to productivity use.

The only upside I've heard from a few folks I know who game in 4K is being able to turn off eye candy, because at that resolution AA/AF "isn't really necessary" (their words). Even so, 4K with everything turned off is still just scratching the surface, I'm guessing it'll be 2017-18 before we see better performance, and a lot of that depends on competition not stagnating.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fury X SLI would probably be nice if I went to 4K, but I don't think my apartment building's electrical infrastructure is rated for it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, interesting, while the jump in SPUs is around what I would expect the ROPs doubled which will help at high resolutions. I wonder how 4GB of vram will work out at 4k and such? Going by TFLOPS the Fury will be around 30% faster than a 290X while the Fury X will be 50% faster. Those TDPs are really high but that should not hurt them much with the enthusiast crowd these are aimed at.

Looking at benchmarks for W3 at 1440p a 290X gets an average FPS of 38, if we increase that by 30% to get a rough estimate of Fury's performance that brings it to 49 FPS which is about the same as a 980. If Fury X is 50% faster than the 290X as the TFLOPS suggest it ends up with 57 FPS at 1440p in W3 which makes it right around as fast as a 980ti or Titan X. If we look at GTA5 the 290X is pulling 36 FPS at 4k, Fury with a 30% increase would put it at 47 FPS, 4 FPS better than a 980 which manages 43 FPS. Fury X would get 54 FPS on average, putting it right in or maybe a tiny bit above 980 ti/Titan X territory.

Now to see how real benchmarks turn out and what these end up costing. :getin:

The ROP count is loving bananas. That's not a doubling of Hawaii's ROP power. That's a quadrupling of Tonga's. That's the same Tonga as in the R9 285 that fills pixels 20% faster than a 290.

With most everything but the pure compute the same, the non-X Fury is looking like a great pick that should do great overclocked like the 7950 and other AMD flagship crops, which have historically closed the gap great with the top part when overclocked.

Also if they still measure TDP the same way and that's peak power virus load, that's a huge gain in efficiency.

Subjunctive posted:

Fury X SLI would probably be nice if I went to 4K, but I don't think my apartment building's electrical infrastructure is rated for it.

600 to 700 watts peak if for some unknown reason decide to run furmark or mine bitcoin is too much? Yikes. Or tempted to go for a huge OC?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xthetenth posted:

600 to 700 watts peak if for some unknown reason decide to run furmark or mine bitcoin is too much? Yikes. Or tempted to go for a huge OC?

Sorry, I was making a joke about AMD power consumption. I am sure my building can handle a couple kilowatts without going dark.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, I was making a joke about AMD power consumption. I am sure my building can handle a couple kilowatts without going dark.

Ahh. Although I seem to remember it being a good idea to make sure you have high gauge wiring before hooking up a rig that really uses a 1500W or more PSU.

Another big thing. That's a reference cooler with three axial fans (Tri-X perhaps), which should help avoid the stupidity with the 290(x) making it incredibly difficult to get a review of the card actually being sold. Does mean Fury X with a loop is going to be the best option for crossfire but that might make quadfire a bit interesting to lay out. My case only has room for three rads up top, for example. If they do the same for the 390(x) that alone should give nice gains over the 290(x) in most benchmarks.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 10, 2015

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
From the 295X2 benchmarks, we can see the 120mm CLLC is JUST BARELY covering the 500 watt TDP so 300 watts for what should be the same cooler (minus a fan on card, whatever) will be a cakewalk.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Didn't the earlier leaks have the tubes coming out the side, rather than the end? This looks easier to route if you don't mind mounting the rad as a front intake though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

xthetenth posted:

Ahh. Although I seem to remember it being a good idea to make sure you have high gauge wiring before hooking up a rig that really uses a 1500W or more PSU.

Another big thing. That's a reference cooler with three axial fans (Tri-X perhaps), which should help avoid the stupidity with the 290(x) making it incredibly difficult to get a review of the card actually being sold. Does mean Fury X with a loop is going to be the best option for crossfire but that might make quadfire a bit interesting to lay out. My case only has room for three rads up top, for example. If they do the same for the 390(x) that alone should give nice gains over the 290(x) in most benchmarks.

The wiring in walls isn't going to be different for any home circuit other than the ones your stove, water heater (if electric) and AC/heater are on. So there's not a lot of point in an AWG 10 or 12 vs 14 gauge power cord or the like for a 1500w power supply. Pretty much everything will be 15 amp circuits which means a max of 1650 watts per breaker anyhow.

Clearly you should just tear out your apartment's oven and run on 220 for higher efficiency! :science:

Ozz81 posted:

The only upside I've heard from a few folks I know who game in 4K is being able to turn off eye candy, because at that resolution AA/AF "isn't really necessary" (their words). Even so, 4K with everything turned off is still just scratching the surface, I'm guessing it'll be 2017-18 before we see better performance, and a lot of that depends on competition not stagnating.

I tended never to use AA even at 2560 anyhow. Max AF is an always on though for sure.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 10, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

repiv posted:

Didn't the earlier leaks have the tubes coming out the side, rather than the end? This looks easier to route if you don't mind mounting the rad as a front intake though.

Nahh, they were pretty consistent about the tubes having to be out the back, since the side got shown a bunch. Unless you count the real early ones that were photoshopped 295Xs.

Gwaihir posted:

The wiring in walls isn't going to be different for any home circuit other than the ones your stove, water heater (if electric) and AC/heater are on. So there's not a lot of point in an AWG 10 or 12 vs 14 gauge power cord or the like for a 1500w power supply. Pretty much everything will be 15 amp circuits which means a max of 1650 watts per breaker anyhow.

Clearly you should just tear out your apartment's oven and run on 220 for higher efficiency! :science:

Fair enough. I can't remember where that came up, might have been a bigger psu like a 2kW or this guy's hobby machine with six liquid cooled flagships (for compute).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 10, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

That fan looks an awful lot like a Gentle Typhoon, which AMD could very well have got Nidec to produce again (they have a MOQ of 10,000+ IIRC from the last Overclock.net group order attempt). Definitely a point in AMD's favour if their stock fan is one of the best fans ever made, that you can't even buy anymore.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

That fan looks an awful lot like a Gentle Typhoon, which AMD could very well have got Nidec to produce again (they have a MOQ of 10,000+ IIRC from the last Overclock.net group order attempt). Definitely a point in AMD's favour if their stock fan is one of the best fans ever made, that you can't even buy anymore.

God drat. Good spot. I hope that's true, it speaks well to them having good attention to detail.

And yes, those look just like the high RPM GTs.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 10, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

It absolutely does look like a high RPM Gentle Typhoon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

xthetenth posted:

Any outlet should be using 14g wiring if its a 15a outlet. This isn't really something to worry about unless your construction is done terribly incorrectly.

HalloKitty posted:

It absolutely does look like a high RPM Gentle Typhoon.

AMD realized customers enjoyed the noise from the reference cooler 290x so they are putting a 50db fan on their new cards.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
heh here we go

I hope its a good card

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

AMD realized customers enjoyed the noise from the reference cooler 290x so they are putting a 50db fan on their new cards.

Seriously doubt they'll run it at 3k or higher RPM. I really don't want to imagine what a 290 or 980ti blower would sound like at 100% fan speed since iirc neither crack 60% in normal use.

If you don't need 42 CFM put of it, you can go with 1850 RPM and 28dBA with still very good airflow. It's a very good, versatile radiator fan, and beats the hell out of most AIO fans, let alone a blower.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 10, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm VERY curious to see projected price. I want to upgrade from my 290 and was going to pick up a 980ti...since it's not an emergency upgrade, I GUESS I can wait...

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Seriously doubt they'll run it at 3k or higher RPM. I really don't want to imagine what a 290 or 980ti blower would sound like at 100% fan speed since iirc neither crack 60% in normal use.

just downloaded msi afterburner to try this out and holy poo poo it's nearly as loud as my loving vacuum cleaner

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Generic Monk posted:

just downloaded msi afterburner to try this out and holy poo poo it's nearly as loud as my loving vacuum cleaner

you should also use that to OC :)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

you should also use that to OC :)

it's already hot and loud enough thankyouverymuch

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Oh, 290 im guessing :x lol

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm VERY curious to see projected price. I want to upgrade from my 290 and was going to pick up a 980ti...since it's not an emergency upgrade, I GUESS I can wait...

I was going to go Tonga XT but if the Fury model sits at just below 980 prices, then welp there goes my wallet.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Oh, 290 im guessing :x lol

stock blower 290x as alluded to by the post i was replying to. considering how loud it gets in games i just assumed that was the highest it would go but nope, not even close

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

stock blower 290x as alluded to by the post i was replying to. considering how loud it gets in games i just assumed that was the highest it would go but nope, not even close

I think the 980 ti blower is pushing up on 50 dB by 52% blower speed with an OC going so it isn't exactly whisper quiet either. But yeah, the 290X blower is just painful, good riddance to that hot mess.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh man I hope this is the case. I really should have bought more of them for case fans when I had a chance. I didn't think they'd be all that great undervolted so I only bought 2 and then they stopped being sold.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cisco privilege posted:

Oh man I hope this is the case. I really should have bought more of them for case fans when I had a chance. I didn't think they'd be all that great undervolted so I only bought 2 and then they stopped being sold.

Buy a Fury X for the sweet sweet Gentle Typhoon :downs:.

Wonder if we'll see another run of GTs for individual sale out of this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's something I don't get. I'm not sure if they're still ~the best~ fans, but they're still definitely up there and should sell well? Why'd they stop making them?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Truga posted:

That's something I don't get. I'm not sure if they're still ~the best~ fans, but they're still definitely up there and should sell well? Why'd they stop making them?

I heard one forum asked about that and got quoted a 100k minimum buy or something. Hoping that something got worked out, it might have just been Scythe being unable to keep volumes high enough and this will get the line going for a while.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Bleh Maestro posted:

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-fury-x-specs-fiji/

Must admit the specs are huge. I'm real interested to see real world performance, but holy cow 300W per card? Could Nvidia make a maxwell card with that kind of wattage? Does it increase performance relatively linearly or is that just not how it works

If they made it a 300W card by increasing the die area the performance increase would be fairly linear but they basically ran out of room, the GM200 is the largest GPU they have ever made at 600mm^2 which is close to the limit TSMC can fab. They would have to just increase the clocks instead which is only a power efficient way to increase performance up to a certain point.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A card that looks very much like the Fury X showed up in the 3DMark database and Videocardz roughed up a comparison based on it:

Even in the Ultra (4K) mode where HBM should really shine, it's only 2% ahead of the stock 980ti :effort:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Is that the watercooled X top model failing to beat a 980ti with factory 1.2GHz OC? Good luck selling it plus that Star Wars game for more than 550$

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If the above WCCFTech article is accurate it's either the watercooled or aircooled version of the fully unlocked Fiji.

Allegedly the cut-down Fury has a 1000mhz core while the Fury X Air and Fury X Water have 1050mhz, and the 3DMark result shows the later.

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 10, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Has AMD figured out how to get CF to work in windowed mode yet? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

El Scotch posted:

Has AMD figured out how to get CF to work in windowed mode yet? :v:

I remember it working at one point, but it currently doesn't work for me. I don't really care because I hate playing windowed, but it is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

sauer kraut posted:

Is that the watercooled X top model failing to beat a 980ti with factory 1.2GHz OC? Good luck selling it plus that Star Wars game for more than 550$

If those benchmarks hold up and the standard Fury X is equivalent to a standard Titan X/980ti then I could easily see AMD getting $599 for it. If the rest of the rumored pricing is true then this gives them a good spread with 390 @ $329, 390X @ $389, Fury @ $499, FuryX @ $599.

I'm sure manufacturers will provide factory OC'd Furies for more $$ just like they do for the 980ti.