Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Man I am feeling conflicted. On one hand, oh no I have homework once again

on the other hand

I have homework I need to handwrite once again :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

LiterallyATomato posted:

Anyone here have the Lamy 2000? I'm looking to upgrade from the Metropolitan, but was wondering if anyone has noticed a measurable difference in quality between the mid-range pens and the cheaper pens.

Edited for clarity.

I've got both. Metro in M and Lamy 2000 in M. If you like Metro M, I'd suggest going for the Lamy in F. The M is too bold for me, and I kind of wish I bought the F instead :(

For the pen body itself, the Metro feels better since it's metal, but the nib is not as smooth as the 2000. The 2000's nib is fantastic, though I don't know if it's worth ~10x the price. I don't use the pens that much so I'm probably not the best person to comment on grip and things like that. I just buy pens to burn money..

I don't regret buying the Lamy 2000, mostly because I know I won't be able to appreciate anything more expensive, so my pen purchasing has pretty much stopped since.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
Note that a stainless steel 2000 is available too.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
My 2000 sucks, and is squeaky as hell. Not happy with that purchase at all.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I found my Vac 700 R that's been missing for months under my car seat. Huzzah!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Heath posted:

I found my Vac 700 R that's been missing for months under my car seat. Huzzah!

Oh, if that pen would go missing, I'd lose my mind. If any of my pens would go missing to be honest. Glad you are reunited.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The Last 2000 is a fantastic pen but it's got a smaller sweet spot. It's one of those things where when you first pick it up you gotta find that sweet spot and then you're good.

Re: the squeaky comment - that's what the pen feels like when I'm not hitting that sweet spot but you could have a hosed nib.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
FYI "Small sweet spot" generally means "poorly tuned nib"

Same with a squeaky nib - there's an edge catching on paper that's causing the nib to vibrate.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

FYI "Small sweet spot" generally means "poorly tuned nib"

Same with a squeaky nib - there's an edge catching on paper that's causing the nib to vibrate.

A TWSBI eco with a stub nib that I have would only write in a certain position when filled with Herbin Lie de Thé but is a lot better (basically normal) when filled with Diamine Ancient Copper. I am still in doubt if this Herbin ink is a knockoff, as the images on the internet show the label with either `J. Herbin` or `Herbin` or that it just writes very dry and I am disappointed at it. Still have to try with an M or an F nib, same for Vert de Gris, wonderful color if you get it to flow. Never have these issues with Iroshizuku or Diamine inks.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
In my experience brown inks are the most finnicky, across the board and across all brands (that I have tried.)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Keetron posted:

I am still in doubt if this Herbin ink is a knockoff, as the images on the internet show the label with either `J. Herbin` or `Herbin` or that it just writes very dry and I am disappointed at it.

Herbin rebranded from J. Herbin to Herbin within the past year or two (and they created the Jacques Herbin line for their fancy inks) so you'll see both names floating around the internet. I also feel like it's a pretty famously dry ink

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heath posted:

In my experience brown inks are the most finnicky, across the board and across all brands (that I have tried.)

Interesting. The Waterman Brown I have starts very nicely even after a good while of non-use.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

brown is just really dark orange. isn't that weird

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

New Peter Pen dropped: https://goldspot.com/products/narwhal-original-fountain-pen-peter-draws-signature-edition, 1080 made.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeH9FIPHQkQ

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I ordered a tactile turn bolt action in slim brass because I need a good ballpoint for notes. Does anybody have experience with one of those? They seem to take a standard Pilot G2 refill, but do they fit any other kinds?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Heath posted:

I ordered a tactile turn bolt action in slim brass because I need a good ballpoint for notes. Does anybody have experience with one of those? They seem to take a standard Pilot G2 refill, but do they fit any other kinds?

I have a copper regular (ie non-Slim) one and I like it, I think mine is an older version because it looks like they updated the nock on it a little. I can't remember all the refills I've used in it off the top of my head, though I can tell you it'll take a lot of Pilot refills without modification, including Frixion and the Hi-Tec-C "cavalier" because I've definitely used those. Probably Acroball too. I currently have a Pentel Energel refill in mine, though those do require cutting a tiny bit of plastic off the end of the refill, probably in the range of a millimeter or two. Same with Jetstream refills.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Speaking of G2 refills..is there a way to buy them without it costing the same price as buying the entire pen? Last time I checked they were within a few cents of each other. I get the environmental impact of buying just the refills, but it seems kinda silly not to buy the whole pen if they are essentially the same price.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Heath posted:

They seem to take a standard Pilot G2 refill, but do they fit any other kinds?
If they'll take a G2, they can take a Montblanc rollerball (not ballpoint) refill if you take a couple of millimeters off the end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I forgot how cursed nitrogen is

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Flashin' the FP gang sign. Represent!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

I forgot how cursed nitrogen is

(hissing)

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Bank posted:

Speaking of G2 refills..is there a way to buy them without it costing the same price as buying the entire pen? Last time I checked they were within a few cents of each other. I get the environmental impact of buying just the refills, but it seems kinda silly not to buy the whole pen if they are essentially the same price.

Looking at JetPens, Pilot G2 pens are 1.90 and refills are 2 for 2.10.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok so, I have a bit of a bad writing pen. It's a Karas Vertex, and it seems to have zero sweet spot at all. It hard starts like mad, and I used pen flush on it to no avail. I did notice that the tipping seems to be asymmetrical, and was wondering if that could cause it.

It's a Bock steel fine nib for what it's worth, and I have a medium that works just fine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The tipping is pinched together and impeding ink flow. The nib needs to be adjusted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

The tipping is pinched together and impeding ink flow. The nib needs to be adjusted.

How much would that repair go for, unless it's something I could potentially do at home?

(Also I'm shocked I managed to get that much detail on that photo)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I couldn't really give you a firm answer on anything without examining the nib in person. My best guess (and only a guess) is that the tipping needs to be bent out at the welding joint and the taper on the nib slit re-shaped. That's not a simple adjustment.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, they're 25 bucks a pop then from Karas so I'll just order a new one.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You could try sticking some thick paper or something between the tines and leaving it for a bit. It could bend them out ever so slightly so it writes better.

It's a long shot, though, especially with a steel nib. Buying a new one is probably the best way to go.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In other news, I'm definitely getting an Estie in sea glass with the journaler nib and crab nebula as the ink, because something something sea of stars.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

In other news, I'm definitely getting an Estie in sea glass with the journaler nib and crab nebula as the ink, because something something sea of stars.

In other news, I'm buying another Delta because that's what the worms in my brain are telling me to do

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Got my Hobonichi Techo for 2022 and wrote my contact information in it with my Metropolitan, and man, I am in love :swoon:

Can't wait for the last week of December!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh my god my Tono and Lims diamond dust came in and it is so incredible. The internet claims its a fountain pen ink but I'm not sure.....BUT IT LOOKS SO GOOD

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Xun posted:

Oh my god my Tono and Lims diamond dust came in and it is so incredible. The internet claims its a fountain pen ink but I'm not sure.....BUT IT LOOKS SO GOOD

That is some glittery ink, I can imagine trying to write with it at a non-calligraphy pace and cursing approximately twice per word.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
So Im curious, Im familiar with the performance of a lot of the inks on jetpens and goulet but then I hit a site that has a huge array of inks like the aforementioned Tono and Lims or KWZ or any number of other names. Are there any I should watch out for or are they all pretty consistent in terms of quality?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Quality of ink across brands has always been excellent in my experience. The only one I'd say you should "watch out" for is Noodlers as he's not terribly consistent with his color mixes sometimes. Plenty of people love his stuff though, so that might just be a me problem.

Really though, go hog wild and try a bunch of samples. What kind of ink you like really depends on your personal preference more than anything.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

The one brand I won't touch is Private Reserve, because it has a reputation for mold i.e. "SITB". If you're sensitive to smells too KWZ might not be up your alley.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

arrowdust posted:

If you're sensitive to smells too KWZ might not be up your alley.

This. I dislike most smelly things due to an allergy for a small range of artificial perfumes. The one KWZ ink I got, I quickly passed on as I could not stand the background odor.
Other people think it is wonderful and love it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I've found I really like Diamine and Rohrer Klinger or however you spell it.

For work, I exclusively use R&K ink. Fast drying, relatively waterproof, good performance on most paper. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

arrowdust posted:

The one brand I won't touch is Private Reserve, because it has a reputation for mold i.e. "SITB". If you're sensitive to smells too KWZ might not be up your alley.
Is that the old formulations or the new ones? Its a yaffa brand now as of maybe a year ago, but yaffa made the montverde inks that got all moldy a couple years ago.