Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BBJoey posted:

Nice of the rising sea level to not bother Germany or Belgium.

It's the sea telling the Dutch to quit it with zwarte Piet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's the sea telling the Dutch to quit it with zwarte Piet.

It's been a while since I've seen The Little Mermaid, but my memory is that they're pretty okay with racial stereotypes under the sea.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

BBJoey posted:

That is your chance to get in at the ground floor for beach property!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BBJoey posted:

They're going to have a bad time as well.

The EU is not going to be happy when Brussels is underwater and the only part of Belgium left is Wallonia.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well poo poo, bye Flanders.

Dutch people are tall so that they won't drown.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 7, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Already we are being mercilessly trolled.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Already we are being mercilessly trolled.

We shouldn't gloat; that means even more rich fuckers from Brussels' periphery and Flemish farmers making our property prices rise. :argh:

Speaking of Flemish farmers, I'm amazed by how quickly a previously growing strip of grassland and forest in the Condroz (below the Lilles-Liège line) suddenly turns into farmland in the 1990's. Even the grassland in the provinces of Flanders shrinks at the same time:

escape mechanism fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 7, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, the sea really hates the Dutch, huh?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Inaccurate. By this point the dutch will have 100m walls.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Man, the sea really hates the Dutch, huh?

Not a surprise. We won every battle against it, so far. It keeps trying, but our defenses get better and better.

There's a reason there's usually Dutch engineers around whenever some place needs flood protection.

By the way, those hilly parts in the center are mostly national parks and the like. The Dutch treasure their mountain ranges.

Edit: I just noticed why that map is politically loaded. See that river delta thing in the northeast? There's an unimportant border dispute between Germany and the Netherlands there. It causes some problems when either country wants to get natural resources from those waters or the soil beneath. Usually they're resolved by local authorities making a small treaty.
There were a few more weird things with that border, those were all resolved after WWII. Needless to say, Germany was forced to meet Dutch demands. But it seems the Dutch forgot about the Eems/Dollard problem.

This map shows the border according to the Netherlands. The German idea of the border hugs the Dutch coast line.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 7, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Europe:

World:

Europe:

World:

Enjoy! :)

3peat
May 6, 2010

In red: the counties where the county council presidents have been officially charged or convicted for various corruption offences

In Romania, the council presidents are the most powerful people in each county. One of them got arrested today in a sting operation, he demanded a kickback for awarding a public contract for cleaning the snow off the roads, but it turns out he had his phone, office and house infested with microphones, and as soon as he received the money the special police forces came knocking.
The Anti-corruption Directorate has been extremely busy this year, with high level arrests like the president's brother, 3 leaders of the governing party (including the prime minister's father in law), a former prime-minister, a couple dozen parliament members, current or former ministers (including 9 former ministers in a single case where they received bribes from Microsoft and Airbus), dozens of mayors, plenty of businessmen (including a billionaire), the boss of the anti-terrorism and organized crime directorate, and all kinds of other officials. In total there were over 1500 convictions for high-level corruption this year, and all thanks to the EU who put enough pressure on politicians to get us an independent and efficient anticorruption directorate. Thanks EU! :D

Finally, a christmas carol dedicated to all politicians in romania, which translates to something like "here come the trick-or-treaters, late at night"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfZLlVcN2Jg

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Romania is not the only (EU) country in need of an independent and efficient anti-corruption directorate.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Disco Infiva posted:

Europe:

World:

They really messed up Corsica :colbert:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Stolen from PYF:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

For prosperity, the little pink numbers over each province is a measure of how much wealth/productivity they have, with 1 being as poo poo poor as you could possibly imagine, and a theoretical 20 being gold paved roads and near unlimited wealth. Try to pick out the subtle biases! (Hint: Check out the name of the maker plus the language used :v:)

Edit:

mobby_6kl posted:

Stolen from PYF:

This is an incredibly poor quality map. I mean, all of America should be shaded in!

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 7, 2014

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

ekuNNN posted:

Nope, he's from Limburg, so in that bottom part that doesn't get flooded :(

He's from Venlo, he's toast.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Disco Infiva posted:

Europe:

World:

It used to be a board game?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Kulkasha posted:

Before they turned it into a video game nearly all of Paradox's revenue came from them owning the rights to Conan the Barbarian.

e: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4102/europa-universalis
"1412 counters"

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 8, 2014

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Kulkasha posted:

A board game designed by Philippe Thibaut, who later founded the video game company AGEOD, which in 2009 was bought by Paradox and renamed Paradox France. They released 2 games that bombed and cost Paradox money, then began working on a third game, March of the Eagles, that was the first time they ever tried to make a game out of their AGEOD engine and was such a mess Paradox gave up on them, spun AGEOD off as an independent company, and spent 6 months finishing off March of the Eagles themselves. MotE was also a bomb, to the point that Paradox have announced that there will be no bug fixing patches for it, even for known bugs, it just isn't worth their developer time. AGEOD is still making games in the same engine they've used since 2005 with no major engine updates, it still is using a setup where you set up all the moves you'd like to make, then hit next turn and it takes ~5 minutes to process a turn. The whole being bought out and let go thing had to have been weird for him.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Before they turned it into a video game nearly all of Paradox's revenue came from them owning the rights to Conan the Barbarian.

e: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4102/europa-universalis
"1412 counters"

Playing Time: 3600 minutes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steam game times can get really messed up. I remember when I used to play the Wargame series some people had like 5000 hours in game when the game had not even been released that long.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Arglebargle III posted:

Steam game times can get really messed up. I remember when I used to play the Wargame series some people had like 5000 hours in game when the game had not even been released that long.

No that's the length of the boardgame

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

That's loving insane. The most hardcore law firm billing requirement is 2500 hours.

A year.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TheImmigrant posted:

That's loving insane. The most hardcore law firm billing requirement is 2500 hours.

A year.

You guys having some kind of a misunderstanding competition here?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Haha both of you are totally misunderstanding each other. PittTheElder is talking about how long it takes to finish one round of the board game. Arglebargle is talking about the cumulative amount of time some people have spent playing the video games.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rumda posted:

No that's the length of the boardgame

Wait what? :psyduck:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Read the BGG link posted

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Also, units. There's a difference between minutes and hours.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Unreal_One posted:

Also, units. There's a difference between minutes and hours.

You realize that still divides into 60 hours, right? That's one hell of a long board game you have there!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"Let's play one game before bed."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kennel posted:

"Let's play one game before bed."

Famous last words

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

3600 minutes is the BGG default setting for "a fuckton of time."

And while buying the rights cost them in the short run, EU has been a huge success for Paradox and catapulted them into a major name in grand strategy so it paid off.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
That is nothing compared to the king of insane boardgames, The Campaign for North Africa. The map is 10 feet long, it is recommended that each side have 5 people, and the estimated length is 1200 hours for the full campaign.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Konstantin posted:

That is nothing compared to the king of insane boardgames, The Campaign for North Africa. The map is 10 feet long, it is recommended that each side have 5 people, and the estimated length is 1200 hours for the full campaign.

If this is the game I'm thinking of, I remember reading about it in an issue of InQuest back in the 90s. The article claimed that you have to keep track of water and rations for each individual soldier, and the Italian faction uses more water per soldier because they have to boil pasta. I assumed back then that was a joke, but reading the description here, maybe it wasn't.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Holy poo poo, this is the most detailed bureaucrat simulator ever created. The pics and comments are priceless:

quote:

Actually, I have been playing, and it is fun (depends on your definition). Lots of paperwork.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean I know people who will play D&D for 4-5 hours a day, and break a campaign out over several weekends. These games are just a non-fantasy version of that.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
What were people on Facebook the most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

That's kind of weird, Illinois.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

What were people on Facebook the most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

That's kind of weird, Illinois.

Pennsyltucky. :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
You can basically see the Bible Belt in this map (mercy, forgiveness, god's stuff, bootstraps).