Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So, it's the end of the year for Shonen Jump and I thought it would be fun to reminisce on the new series of 2023. Plus the ones that came out at the end of 2022, because I want to dammit.

From the Wikipedia page

The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins: A family is caught in a time loop dream cycle of hurting.

I actually kind of liked this, but I feel like being a weekly series hurt it more than helped. The pace was kinda all over the place, lingering on some plots for too long speeding through others that could have used time to breathe. Probably should have been a limited, monthly series. Still though, it had it's share of moments that hit me like an emotional truck.

Cipher Academy: Nisioisin's quest to drive translators to ruin.

I feel like it does a good enough job at telling its story that I don't really need to understand the riddles to enjoy it, but I would probably like it a lot better if I did.

Ichigoki's Under Control: Comedy where a guy turns into a robot, or something? I've forgotten it already.

Fabricant 100: A boy and his Frankenstein fight other Frankensteins.

A really neat premise, but I feel like it never really came together and lived up to its potential.

Tenmaku Cinema: Hikaru no Go but for movies.

This one had a weak start, but once you got into the actual craft and the protags had to use guerilla filmmaking to get their shots it improved by a lot. Shame it didn't last.

Kill Blue: A literal manchild must kick the poo poo out of tweens.

It's funny, and it's got good action. Not much else to say other than it's a really solid series.

Do Retry: Boxing in reconstruction era Japan.

I already read Hajime no Ippo, so I don't really need a mediocre replacement. Final chapter was neat, though.

Nue's Exorcist: A harem manga disguising itself as a shonen action/adventure.

I keep going through a cycle with this manga, where I get close to dropping it entirely and then something happens that keeps me just interested enough to keep reading.

Martial Master Asumi: Beat Up Your Brother Simulator 2023.

I like it a lot. Good characters, attention to technical details of MMA, female cast isn't treated as sex objects and get cool fights. Again, just a really solid series and I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get axed. Also, very funny to me that this debuted like 2 months after Do Retry and completely ate its lunch.

Ice Head Gill: We have Demon Slayer at home.

The only series on this list that I completely gave up on. Not even interesting enough to hate.

MamaYuyu: Across the Dragon Questverse.

Consistently teeters on the edge of being interesting, but then again I've got a bit of a chip on my shoulder with how the protag's mom got completely sidelined at the start of the series.

Kagurabachi: A man wakes up every morning and chooses hate.

A series that seems really generic, but has managed to be consistently interesting. With the bad guys being gangsters/mafia/yakuza, the action and drama can be surprisingly brutal. It would also be really funny if the internet managed to meme it into success.

Two on Ice: I can't even think of a joke.

Every time I see this come up, someone says to go read Medalist instead. I should probably get on that.

Green Green Greens: Hangin' out at the driving range with your buds.

Not a lot of chapters yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Shadow Eliminators: [Insert generic exorcist manga here]

On top of having a really uninteresting premise, I think it's really poorly paced. In both a page-to-page basis, and a story basis it just seems all over the place. I'd be shocked it this one gets past 25 chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alacron posted:

I like it a lot. Good characters, attention to technical details of MMA, female cast isn't treated as sex objects and get cool fights. Again, just a really solid series and I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get axed. Also, very funny to me that this debuted like 2 months after Do Retry and completely ate its lunch.

Agreed really enjoying this so far, and I think it has a lot of potential.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, it is kind of wild that MamaYuyu just removed the mother character. It seems like it completely forgot she exists.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MMA & Cipher are the standouts imo.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I wish Tenmaku Cinema stuck around

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Kill Blue easily my favorite.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alacron posted:

I feel like it does a good enough job at telling its story that I don't really need to understand the riddles to enjoy it, but I would probably like it a lot better if I did.

Yeah, agreed. Not that I expect to be able to solve the riddles with the limited information we're given, but it'd be nice to at least be on the same page before they do the rear end pull solution.

(I think the current arc's doing a good job of sidestepping the riddles in favor of focusing on the situation they're in.)

As far as my favorites for the year, MMA and Kill Blue are the standouts that will probably stick around for a while, MamaYuyu despite probably being on its last legs, and Fabricant 100 and Tenmaku Cinema for the "cancelled too soon" pile. If we include Mangaplus/SJ+ titles, My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps, Red Cat Ramen, Beat and Motion, Mikane and the Sea Woman, and Shibatarian have also been pretty enjoyable

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fabricant 100 was a shame, but it clearly had enough warning or at least foresaw its own demise to steer its way to a satisfying conclusion, enough to recommend reading it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at least it stuck to its guns and left 100 as a cold, inhuman monster from start to finish.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, it is kind of wild that MamaYuyu just removed the mother character. It seems like it completely forgot she exists.

It's annoying. I get why people would dislike the sidelining of her but on the other I like the current cast and the whole idea in play.

I'm genuinely worried that the author, upon the comic getting papped, will take the wrong lessons and replace the genuinely good character work with boring sluge for their next work and that lasting for years on end.

It's happened before- Double Arts dying so Niseikoi could burst screaming out its chest- and I'd rather it not.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 1, 2024

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Is Earthchild already that long ago that it doesn’t even make the list?

MMA is currently for me a standout. Fun characters, decent premise, lots of detail, clear art.

Fabricant was fun while it lasted.

I still read Kaguraibachi and I have no idea what to think. It’s interesting enough at least.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man MMA is the only one on that list I'm paying attention to. I really like GGG, I made a post a while back about how I'm a sucker for a good "bored normie with a bit of talent finds his passion" vs "genius kicks all asses from ch1" stories, but golf series don't seem to last long so I don't wanna get too attached yet.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps: She just utterly destroyed him there. Good on her saving her man

That was pretty satisfying. Liked the "no, I was never really a true Yandere, that was just you projecting your fantasies on me and me willing to go along with them for a bit" twist. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends in a few chapters, it really felt like the author just concluded the story he was set out to do.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Darth TNT posted:

Is Earthchild already that long ago that it doesn’t even make the list?

I had the same thought, but despite feeling like 5 years of plot crammed into about 30 chapters, it ran from February to September 2022.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

That was pretty satisfying. Liked the "no, I was never really a true Yandere, that was just you projecting your fantasies on me and me willing to go along with them for a bit" twist. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends in a few chapters, it really felt like the author just concluded the story he was set out to do.

Yeah, I'd be pretty happy with it if that was the climax of the series. As I've said before, I wouldn't mind seeing the mangaka explore the fallout of this (most series understandably skip the recovery portion, and he's got a lot to unpack now in therapy), but if there's like another time skip to the conclusion I wouldn't be mad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how the gently caress have viz not updated the shonen jump app to stay full screen if you're reading a series and moving onto the next chapter

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alacron posted:

So, it's the end of the year for Shonen Jump and I thought it would be fun to reminisce on the new series of 2023. Plus the ones that came out at the end of 2022, because I want to dammit.

From the Wikipedia page

The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins: A family is caught in a time loop dream cycle of hurting.

I actually kind of liked this, but I feel like being a weekly series hurt it more than helped. The pace was kinda all over the place, lingering on some plots for too long speeding through others that could have used time to breathe. Probably should have been a limited, monthly series. Still though, it had it's share of moments that hit me like an emotional truck.

Ichigoki's Under Control: Comedy where a guy turns into a robot, or something? I've forgotten it already.

Fabricant 100: A boy and his Frankenstein fight other Frankensteins.

A really neat premise, but I feel like it never really came together and lived up to its potential.

Tenmaku Cinema: Hikaru no Go but for movies.

This one had a weak start, but once you got into the actual craft and the protags had to use guerilla filmmaking to get their shots it improved by a lot. Shame it didn't last.

Kill Blue: A literal manchild must kick the poo poo out of tweens.

It's funny, and it's got good action. Not much else to say other than it's a really solid series.

Do Retry: Boxing in reconstruction era Japan.

I already read Hajime no Ippo, so I don't really need a mediocre replacement. Final chapter was neat, though.

Nue's Exorcist: A harem manga disguising itself as a shonen action/adventure.

I keep going through a cycle with this manga, where I get close to dropping it entirely and then something happens that keeps me just interested enough to keep reading.

Ice Head Gill: We have Demon Slayer at home.

The only series on this list that I completely gave up on. Not even interesting enough to hate.

MamaYuyu: Across the Dragon Questverse.

Consistently teeters on the edge of being interesting, but then again I've got a bit of a chip on my shoulder with how the protag's mom got completely sidelined at the start of the series.

Kagurabachi: A man wakes up every morning and chooses hate.

A series that seems really generic, but has managed to be consistently interesting. With the bad guys being gangsters/mafia/yakuza, the action and drama can be surprisingly brutal. It would also be really funny if the internet managed to meme it into success.

Two on Ice: I can't even think of a joke.

Every time I see this come up, someone says to go read Medalist instead. I should probably get on that.

Green Green Greens: Hangin' out at the driving range with your buds.

Not a lot of chapters yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Shadow Eliminators: [Insert generic exorcist manga here]

On top of having a really uninteresting premise, I think it's really poorly paced. In both a page-to-page basis, and a story basis it just seems all over the place. I'd be shocked it this one gets past 25 chapters.

Yes you should. Same for Me and My Gangster Neighbor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

at least it stuck to its guns and left 100 as a cold, inhuman monster from start to finish.

Yeah, I am sad it died but at the same time I'm glad it never got to the point of feeling pressured to make 100 anything but the worst.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just stumbled on a newer series I felt like highlighting cause I found it fun so far. Called Dragon and Chameleon. It's a manga about making manga series with a fun little first page twist. 11 Chapters are out and I have read three so far.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/dbd4f7c0-6615-4f81-9604-a4e8b3d77360

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 2, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just stumbled on a newer series I felt like highlighting cause I found it fun so far. Called Dragon and Chameleon. It's a manga about making manga series with a fun little first page twist. 11 Chapters are out and I have read three so far.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/dbd4f7c0-6615-4f81-9604-a4e8b3d77360

I powered through all 11 chapters and its pretty good! I like anything thats neck deep in a specific field and the art style/character designs remind me a lot of Blue Period. I also like the creepy anthropomorphic soul creator appearances.

Its going on the read pile.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I powered through all 11 chapters and its pretty good! I like anything thats neck deep in a specific field and the art style/character designs remind me a lot of Blue Period. I also like the creepy anthropomorphic soul creator appearances.

Its going on the read pile.

There's a post that's just not quite coming together for me here about how an artist's experience seems to influence manga about manga, with Bakuman being clearly a manga about being in Jump that only the Death Note team would make, and how Downfall and Look Back contrast each other in part due to the very different careers of their creators, but... yeah. Not quite tying back here. (Although the author having had a short lived series in Jump probably comes into play.)

One thing, though, is I feel like the manga would be better if it got a bit more into the nitty gritty. With Bakuman, or even the short Look Back, you felt like you knew how the protagonists approached making manga as specific people, but here, it's more generic "He's really good!". Just seeing what the characters chose to focus on in The Sting would tell us a lot, but we skip over that to get to the next scenes of drama.

It means we're building on sand, a manga about manga that doesn't tell us much about manga.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yaknow. Shojo Null is low-tier slock but its my kinda low tier slock.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the typical sunday releases posted today on the app, thanks new year disruption for the work week reading material

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I missed Mashle.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I missed Mashle.

Same. I lolled pretty hard at this dumb rear end chapter.
It also reminded me of the time Mash denied patient zero his sad sad backstory. :allears:

Sakamoto: Oh yeah, it’s going down! I fear for Gaku though, he’s pretty cool.

Roboco: lol

Kagurabachi: I find it all fairly confusing, but still I’m reading. It’s just fun enough and I do want to see where this is going.

MMA: Oh yeah, Nao rocks.

Undead: is wasting absolutely no time. On the one hand I’m disappointed we didn’t see more, because this felt a bit rushed? On the other hand, I do like it when the story doesn’t linger.

Witch watch: I literally heard about the Suika game this week and didn’t know what it was…and now I do. Thanks witch watch!

Demon lord exchange: I guess demon lord doesn’t like spiders.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I missed Mashle.

I love that Mash the Hero(citation needed) could tell that teacher's "especially you" was directed entirely at him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I missed Mashle.

Many of the best elements of the series in one excellent chapter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MMA is back from break and we may breathe easy again.

Edit: Nao is cool and good and my friend.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 5, 2024

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fabricant 100 was a shame, but it clearly had enough warning or at least foresaw its own demise to steer its way to a satisfying conclusion, enough to recommend reading it.

It and Embalming made me realize you can't have a Frankenstein shonen for long

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Witch Watch: I like to think the author just gets these occasional kusoge ideas and keeps them in a back pocket for when they need to do a filler chapter. They did it with Sket Dance too.

Akane-banashi: It's been kind of leaning into this whole "empty yourself" theme ever since she didn't make the cut for the New Breeze. I'm pretty sure we're not about to see a rakugo story done in totes qt abbrevs OMG, but this manga has been working pretty hard to set up this atmosphere of unpredictability, both with Akane's gambits and how they'll turn out.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I've only read JJK and Sakamoto Days so far this week but god drat i love Sakamoto's fight choreography. The locations, usage of the locations, and the interesting ways they have the assassins fight each other is so good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I missed Mashle.

Big same. Come back Mashle

Witch Watch: Morihito is just like me fr fr

MMA:

Dawgstar posted:

Nao is cool and good and my friend.

Kill Blue: Gotta admit, this is the last manga I expected to have a bath scene

Blue Box: man, as much as I liked this chapter, we should have gotten a basketball-focused arc much sooner than this. Seeing the story behind the inciting incident to the manga should have happened years ago tho

Mamayuyu: yeah, the end has to be coming

Hope You're Happy Lemon: again, this manga just does not like letting things build. Besides, Sunao could have just said he was gay! It had already come up with Suzuka before! It's a plot point that you could have built on!

Alternatively, Suzuka, you didn't fall for Lemon, you fell for Sunao! Confessing to Lemon meant nothing!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

early days still but I'm really liking the god before me so far

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Not sure if anyone noticed, but my girlfriend gives me the creeps also had an update and ended with the mention that the final chapter will be next week.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Not sure if anyone noticed, but my girlfriend gives me the creeps also had an update and ended with the mention that the final chapter will be next week.

Didn't catch the extra chapter. Shame it is ending so soon but I'll always appreciate short-but-sweet series.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Manatee Cannon posted:

early days still but I'm really liking the god before me so far

I just read this after you mentioned it and it actually is so good so far. Very early on but the art style is interesting and the humor is superb

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Undead: the 100 rounds of fencing is a fun way to do a callback.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Akane-banashi was really good for this

https://x.com/mahzes/status/1743610991307284653?s=46

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

That 3 panel progression made me actually laugh out of loud. So great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hurrah, Heartgear is back again. I am getting a little tired though of every making GBS threads on Chrom. Or more accurately him getting shat on and not learning anything.

Twin stars has no idea what anyone is doing or why at this point. Though at least we’re not surprised Yuto would come back.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 9, 2024