Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

2spooky4me posted:

:nallears:, apparently

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Its like 30 slaps in the face

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Thing is, why limit it at all? If 30 is enough for you, hooray. If it's not, doesn't that suck?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Why can't we all just get along, leave Braben alone!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

Thing is, why limit it at all? If 30 is enough for you, hooray. If it's not, doesn't that suck?

Because brown sea swimmers can't stand knowing that someone out there is happy and having fun instead of painfully grinding.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So instead of caring about storage slots, I care about money. I've got my Clipper parked in Sothis now since I apparently need to grind while the grindin's good; is there something better that I should take the time to upgrade to as money comes in, or is the Clipper sufficient for hauling space poop? I've got around 150 tons of cargo racks on it and it's taking about eighteen jumps to get back to the bubble with the hold mostly filled.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Signed up for the new bounty hunting CG, went to a res in my Vulture with grade 3 reinforced 5c biweave shields and stuffed to the brim with hrps, a dangerous FAS almost rammed me to death :stare:

Guess with the proceeds from this I better buy a FdL, res hunting is definitely not as easy as I remembered. Still only master at combat and I am risking death in my little vulture more often than I'd like even with 450 mj of shields.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 6, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TorakFade posted:

Signed up for the new bounty hunting CG, went to a res in my Vulture with grade 3 reinforced 5c biweave shields and stuffed to the brim with hrps, a dangerous FAS almost rammed me to death :stare:

Guess with the proceeds from this I better buy a FdL, res hunting is definitely not as easy as I remembered. Still only master at combat and I am risking death in my little vulture more often than I'd like even with 450 mj of shields.

It's easier in a vulture than a FDL because engineer tuned enemies of similar maneuverability will be glued to your arse unless you manage flight assist off well.

(I'm talking deadly/dangerous enemies here, easier ones are just clay pigeons)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Valatar posted:

So instead of caring about storage slots, I care about money. I've got my Clipper parked in Sothis now since I apparently need to grind while the grindin's good; is there something better that I should take the time to upgrade to as money comes in, or is the Clipper sufficient for hauling space poop? I've got around 150 tons of cargo racks on it and it's taking about eighteen jumps to get back to the bubble with the hold mostly filled.

Anaconda can do 400t+, but if they really nerf long distance hauling don't get one just for the poop transports.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DancingShade posted:

It's easier in a vulture than a FDL because engineer tuned enemies of similar maneuverability will be glued to your arse unless you manage flight assist off well.

(I'm talking deadly/dangerous enemies here, easier ones are just clay pigeons)

Yeah turns out I just had to relearn the ropes a bit, I killed a deadly Anaconda without the cops help and without losing more than one ring of shields :smug:

Also FAS are apparently one of the toughest enemies, can take gunships / pythons / condas no problem but a FAS, not aggroing it without the cops nearby

So what is the consensus, buy military armor or not for the vulture? It seems a 4D hrp would be almost the same increase for a tiny fraction of the cost and half the weight, and while I stay here for the CG I don't need cargo or other internals.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 6, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Valatar posted:

You can mod an asp to hold 108-112t while doing each leg in ~12 jumps laden, 9 jumps empty. Only take missions worth >200k/t and you will make 20-60M each run. Sothis Mining has been on fire lately and has been throwing out all >500k/t missions for me, so it's been more like 50-80m per run the last few days...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TorakFade posted:

Yeah turns out I just had to relearn the ropes a bit, I killed a deadly Anaconda without the cops help and without losing more than one ring of shields :smug:

Also FAS are apparently one of the toughest enemies, can take gunships / pythons / condas no problem but a FAS, not aggroing it without the cops nearby

So what is the consensus, buy military armor or not for the vulture? It seems a 4D hrp would be almost the same increase for a tiny fraction of the cost and half the weight, and while I stay here for the CG I don't need cargo or other internals.

Yes absolutely. The Vulture has great engines and can happily manage the extra weight and it greatly improves your endurance while RES farming.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah you really have to try to slow a vulture down. Still murders your already awful jump range though.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
For those not already at the combat CG, the HazRes is right next to the station and is one of those dense ice ones that is both awesome to look at and cool to fly around in.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dabir posted:

Yeah you really have to try to slow a vulture down. Still murders your already awful jump range though.

I managed to get a decent roll on a grade 4 fsd upgrade, it does 20.5 ly / jump now (19 with military bulkheads) :smug:

Still have to take a fuel scoop because the tank gets empty after two jumps, but it's much less of a pain to get around anyway.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

TorakFade posted:

Bollocks to armor for PVE it just slows you down. Tank your shields and put as much power in engines as you can whilst still shooting if your on his rear end he can't hit you. Jump out before your shields drop (they now charge twice as fast in supercruise).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Bollocks to armor for PVE it just slows you down. Tank your shields and put as much power in engines as you can whilst still shooting if your on his rear end he can't hit you. Jump out before your shields drop (they now charge twice as fast in supercruise).

Spoken like a person who has yet to drunkenly slam into an asteroid while dogfighting in a night side asteroid belt :colbert:

I'm sure the extra light year of jump range will come in very handy in that RES site though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Armor is one of the largest gains of mass you can add to your ship. Mass means more damage when ramming. Mass gud.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

DancingShade posted:

Spoken like a person who has yet to drunkenly slam into an asteroid while dogfighting in a night side asteroid belt :colbert:

I'm sure the extra light year of jump range will come in very handy in that RES site though.

Asteroids and sideswiping friendlies are the only thing that ever drop my shields now.

Fighting with your shields down is as daft as trading shield-less.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asteroids and sideswiping friendlies are the only thing that ever drop my shields now.

Fighting with your shields down is as daft as trading shield-less.

Real men ram their opponents to death even if they have no shields left :black101:

You'll have whole minutes to reach a station afterwards before running out of oxygen. It's totally safe.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You can probably run an armour build if you like, but the engineer Heavy Duty armour mod increases HP and resistances substantially without increasing weight on the default armour. If you want better armour as an insurance if your shields go down, I'd start with that first.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

DancingShade posted:

Real men ram their opponents to death even if they have no shields left :black101:

You'll have whole minutes to reach a station afterwards before running out of oxygen. It's totally safe.

Tell me more about courageous space video game manliness.

Do they oil themselves up, and does this make their joysticks slippery ?.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Valatar posted:

You might already be doing this, but I find iClipper poop hauling to be a lot more tolerable with an extra fuel tank or two (to make the run uninterrupted) rather than a scoop.

Whenever I need to scoop on a Sothis run is precisely when some elite pirate decides to start crawling up my rear end, so it's nice to not have to worry about it. Even with extra fuel, I can still pack in 20ish missions worth of poop, if I pick and choose wisely.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 7, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Aethernet posted:

You can probably run an armour build if you like, but the engineer Heavy Duty armour mod increases HP and resistances substantially without increasing weight on the default armour. If you want better armour as an insurance if your shields go down, I'd start with that first.

Oh good advice, I didn't even know that.

Edit: Holy gently caress I have to mine 500 tons of ore?!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Like you wouldn't even believe.

So, so oily.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Morter posted:

Oh good advice, I didn't even know that.

Edit: Holy gently caress I have to mine 500 tons of ore?!

Nope: you have to refine it! :eng99:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Does that mean i could buy ore and refine it in my ship?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Can you buy unrefined ore anywhere?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Its like 30 slaps in the face

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Does that mean i could buy ore and refine it in my ship?

No, you to mine n*500 fragments. Mining is actually quite chill; go to one of the pristine metallic rings in the bubble (there's a list on the wiki), shoot out your prospector at a likely looking rock, fire up the lasers and wait for your collectors to do their stuff. I use mining as a means of catching up on podcasts - I got through quite a bit of Welcome to Nightvale getting my ten tonnes of Painite.

Oh, you also need to get ten tonnes of Painite.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Lol if you haven't already mined 500 tons of ore just for fun.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Mining is really relaxing. Put on some podcasts or music, and just sit there hearing your lasers and seeing your collectors fly off to catch the little fragments off the asteroids.

Does ice mining count towards the 500t for Jean?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Do both.
Plus engineer mod all the armor and HRPs.
Ram all the things.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The vulture has such oversized engines that adding military armor does almost nothing to the overall speed of the vulture.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

TorakFade posted:

Edit from the brown sea:

"I voted leave it at 30, though my own personal variant would be to remove module storage all together, along with ship transfer."
:qqsay:

Edit 2:

"Up to 30 per station. Because you have storage space per station, rented from the controlling faction when you reach friendly, for 10 mil CR per slot / per week, deducted from your digital wallet automatically.
You have no credits in the wallet to cover the rent, you lose the slots and the stored modules."
:goonsay:

Links. Now.

I need the anger to feel again. :jiggled:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

timn posted:

Lol if you haven't already mined 500 tons of ore just for fun.

SPOILER: Elite combat is basically just a string of shiny sequins meant to trick Call of Duty plebs into bankrolling my cool mining game.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Literally Kermit posted:

Links. Now.

I need the anger to feel again. :jiggled:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/295744-The-ULTIMATE-Poll-about-Module-Storage!?p=4600470&viewfull=1#post4600470 happy to oblige! The second one is on page 2.

I also confirm 35 tons of armor does not slow down the vulture at all. I guess I don't need those 4 millions after all if I can ram more and better.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 7, 2016

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

They do, actually. Space is very dry, and oiling up before exposing yourself to hard vacuum is only prudent.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TorakFade posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/295744-The-ULTIMATE-Poll-about-Module-Storage!?p=4600470&viewfull=1#post4600470 happy to oblige! The second one is on page 2.

I also confirm 35 tons of armor does not slow down the vulture at all. I guess I don't need those 4 millions after all if I can ram more and better.

It's almost impossible to weigh the vulture down enough to reduce it's speed/agility. The magic number is 420 tons, anything below that won't have any affect beyond reducing your jump range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

It's almost impossible to weigh the vulture down enough to reduce it's speed/agility. The magic number is 420 tons, anything below that won't have any affect beyond reducing your jump range.

Blaze it.

No, seriously. With max armor you will just be blazin along.

• Locked thread