Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Silver Brock Lesnar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soonmot posted:

Is there anyone who gives even half a poo poo about Silver Sabel?
She was in a lot of stuff in the 90s and since then has been pretty irrelevant

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lurdiak posted:

I have terrible, terrible news for you about Captain America and the 90s.

Is this the one where his superpower is stealing people's cars?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this the one where his superpower is stealing people's cars?

Yes!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

Is there anyone who gives even half a poo poo about Silver Sabel?

I like her in the comics and I think it could work as a movie completely separated from any other Marvel titles. In fact I think it's one of the few Marvel owned characters that would actually work better just being its own thing. I don't know how you fold Black Cat into it though. I mean Silver Sable and Wild Pack would work just fine as an action movie with no other ties to Marvel stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I like her in the comics and I think it could work as a movie completely separated from any other Marvel titles. In fact I think it's one of the few Marvel owned characters that would actually work better just being its own thing. I don't know how you fold Black Cat into it though. I mean Silver Sable and Wild Pack would work just fine as an action movie with no other ties to Marvel stuff.

Mercenary takes a job that requires an expert thief, expert thief has some thinly veiled justification for coming along, they clash with one another while trying to complete the job.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ImpAtom posted:

Mercenary takes a job that requires an expert thief, expert thief has some thinly veiled justification for coming along, they clash with one another while trying to complete the job.

Or mercenaries are hired to protect macguffin, thief is hired to steal macguffin, contrivance contrivance contrivance they end up having to work together.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Even if I wanted to believe the movie wasn't going to be bad and would actually be quite good?

It's coming out the same day as The Lego Movie 2. Which... well, it's basically committing suicide to make something clearly catering to a comic book crowd with that release date.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was the news the other day about Disney pulling their stuff from Netflix when their current deal runs out and it turns out Netflix isn't taking that lying down. They're in negotiation to at least keep the Marvel and Lucasfilm movies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this! posted:

There was the news the other day about Disney pulling their stuff from Netflix when their current deal runs out and it turns out Netflix isn't taking that lying down. They're in negotiation to at least keep the Marvel and Lucasfilm movies.
That would be nice, since it was cool that they were starting to put the MCU films on there (including Dr. Strange which I missed when it was in theaters).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They are probably some of their most watched films on there.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow, I've known the gist of the story for awhile, but I just finished watching Doomed! about Roger Corman's Fantastic Four and what a crazy story. And i had no idea there were some sort of plans around that time for Black Panther, Dr. Strange, and Spiderman films too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

a kitten posted:

And i had no idea there were some sort of plans around that time for Black Panther, Dr. Strange, and Spiderman films too.

Remember when James Cameron was going to make a Spider-Man movie?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

howe_sam posted:

Remember when his script involved Peter nailing MJ on a web hammock?

Kiiiiinda glad we got Raimi on that instead...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cameron's movies have a weird amount of gratuitous intercourse in them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Cameron, Josh Brolin has said in a recent interview that Cameron really went off on him after turning down a part in the Avatar sequels.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That would be nice, since it was cool that they were starting to put the MCU films on there (including Dr. Strange which I missed when it was in theaters).

Doc Strange is on there? Pardon me, I need to go do something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as Doc Ock (which I suspect is why Ock is jacked and has a German accent in the Spidey '94 cartoon).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 13, 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as Doc Ocl (which I suspect is why Ock is jacked and has a German accent in the Spidey '94 cartoon).

And supposedly it's why there is no Sandman in the 94 cartoon, but wall to wall Hydro-man as a stand in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's definitely why there wasn't an origin episode until like season 4.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This wiki has more info on the things involved.

http://marvelanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Spider-Man_(TV_Series)

The most fascinating thing was that Blade made so many appearances because the showrunner was a really big Blade fan. I also think that was a reason why Marvel ended up making the Blade movie after this.

(Stock footage of Oscorp plant exploding.)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blade and Morbius were always weird in the 90s series. A few years back I counted up the total number of appearances where Morbius appeared in a Spider-Man book and it was something like 12 or so times over the course of 40 years. He is such a minor footnote in Spidey history but is a major character in the 90s series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In retrospect Morbius in the 90s series looked and sounded kind of like Tommy Wiseau, which is kind of distracting.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Wheat Loaf posted:

In retrospect Morbius in the 90s series looked and sounded kind of like Tommy Wiseau, which is kind of distracting.

His character was just destined to be a vampire, wasn't he?

Even as a kid I never bought into Felica falling madly in love with that creep over the course of three episodes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bruceski posted:

Doc Strange is on there? Pardon me, I need to go do something.

I caught it a couple of weeks ago and found that I liked it about the same if not better on a rewatch. Felt the same way about Jessica Jones.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Guess it's OK to crosspost this:

I watched Dr. Strange last night and liked it for the most part but the low points were really low. Goes without saying the visuals were amazing and I made the right call getting into some bong rips before hand. Apparently, sorcery is the ability to make everyone involuntarily trip on Salvia.

Cumberbatch was good in the role overall and really looked the part and the idea of the "relics" - the cape and the amulet - "choosing him" was a cool way to handle that. It was nice seeing a Marvel film where everything wasn't punching and the similarities to Ant Man are pretty spot on, as far as having a different take on the action.

The big thing that bugged me was that Strange's powers felt totally unearned. He totally sucked at sorcering compared to everyone else in the school but for some reason the Ancient One and her right hand man kept singling Steven out for all the really cool knowledge and spending extra time with him. Strange "mastered" the arts way too quickly. It might have helped to really show a long passing of time or a more clear reason why Strange was so very special and singled out, because I never quite pieced that together. I guess Ancient One was interested in him for his superior intellect and ability to be creative and think outside the box as a surgeon, thinking that would lend itself to the magic, but all I saw was the worst person by far in the class constantly loving up and then, poof, he's suddenly this crazy master of everything.

The girlfriend sure seemed to take everything in stride too. Like, I'd be making GBS threads bricks if a ghost suddenly appeared and took the lead in his own operation but she was all, "ok sure, whatever" after one initial scare. Sometimes the Ancient One and the assistant wandered into some tremendously hokey dialogue too but that's almost to be expected.

I'm not sure where they can go with it from here either or how they can tie it into the MCU that much. I guess if you pair him with Thor, Scarlet Witch and the crazier heroes you could do some cool poo poo.

Glad i watched it though. It certainly didn't suck and never got boring for me. The running time seemed lean but I found the ending sort of abrupt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My main criticism of the movie is that they shouldn't have had the opening stinger where they blow their special effects load in the first minute of the film. I know modern audiences are easily bored but it made the mirror dimension less interesting when it showed up later in the film since we'd already seen it before we even met Strange.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

My main criticism of the movie is that they shouldn't have had the opening stinger where they blow their special effects load in the first minute of the film. I know modern audiences are easily bored but it made the mirror dimension less interesting when it showed up later in the film since we'd already seen it before we even met Strange.

I actually liked that they introduced that part early. It hooked me and I felt that they escalated and raised the stakes enough later to keep it engaging. I never lost the "holy poo poo that looks loving cool factor" once. Big ups to the set designers too, paying homage to the old black light posters too without going overboard with it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm still amazed that they came up with Sling Ring which sounds so perfectly silver age Marvel name for something, but it's not something that exists in the comics.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'm still amazed that they came up with Sling Ring which sounds so perfectly silver age Marvel name for something, but it's not something that exists in the comics.

Well huh. Yeah, I totally thought that's exactly where it must have come from.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It was implied that Strange advanced so quickly because he did most of his studying in some time-slowing astral form, wasn't it? His ability to absorb and retain minutiae was set up with the music and he got to Kamar-Taj, so he's more open to thinking outside the box than he's willing to admit. Both things worth encouraging in a student. Especially if you're quietly searching for a new Sorcerer Supreme.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Disappointed that nobody ever said "Sling ring, do your thing!" in the movie.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Inkspot posted:

It was implied that Strange advanced so quickly because he did most of his studying in some time-slowing astral form, wasn't it? His ability to absorb and retain minutiae was set up with the music and he got to Kamar-Taj, so he's more open to thinking outside the box than he's willing to admit. Both things worth encouraging in a student. Especially if you're quietly searching for a new Sorcerer Supreme.

I don't recall them giving any indication of how much time had passed, which was the big narrative flaw in the film for me (I had the same complaint about Cumberbatch and Ejiofor's previous collaboration 12 Years A Slave, so clearly it's their fault) we know time is passing but there's no sense of how much of it. It could have been months, it could have been a few years, the film doesn't really seem to care despite it being actually relevant.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

rantmo posted:

I don't recall them giving any indication of how much time had passed, which was the big narrative flaw in the film for me (I had the same complaint about Cumberbatch and Ejiofor's previous collaboration 12 Years A Slave, so clearly it's their fault) we know time is passing but there's no sense of how much of it. It could have been months, it could have been a few years, the film doesn't really seem to care despite it being actually relevant.

Well that's good because I thought it was just me. Figured I missed or hand waved the astral plane stuff away and brushed it off as having missed it when I took the dinner dishes to the sink or something. But maybe it wasn't shown.

All I remember is Strange being the shittiest sorcerer in the whole school to wrecking experts with years of practice practically all at once. It reminded of Neo in The Matrix a little bit except Neo being The One was explained a lot more clearly.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

All I remember is Strange being the shittiest sorcerer in the whole school to wrecking experts with years of practice practically all at once.

I don't remember Strange wrecking experts so much as barely holding his own, for the most part, and doing that only with the help of a powerful artifact. In the end, he doesn't out-sorceror Kaecilius, he out-clevers him.

They do say that Strange has a natural aptitude towards sorcery, but he isn't touted as any kind of Chosen One or anything. He only becomes the Sorceror Supreme because basically everyone else is either killed, fled, or Wong.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There probably won't be a solid answer to how long he trained. Strange was there from a few months to a few years, with a substantial portion of that time astrally accelerated and receiving special attention, deserved or not. The artifacts help push him a little further. Basically, he was there however long it takes for you to buy into his narrative.

MCU time is borked anyway. Iron Man takes place six months before Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America, which all happen the same week. Then all the other films take place vaguely over the course of eight years until Spider-Man, with Doctor Strange probably before or partially concurrent with Winter Soldier. Long enough for SHIELD to take notice of him.

And the more Marvel media gets made, the worse the timeline is going to get. They'll plug backstory in where they can, but it's never going to make total sense.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

What I liked about that scene is the Ancient One does stuff and it just looks like she is super powerful and badass. While Mads Mikellson is calling her a huge hypocrite.

And it's only by the midway point when you see the bad guys start doing the same stuff does it become clear. "Oh all those cool things she was doing were just overt signs of super evil magic."

So it's a nice detail that only becomes obvious in hindsight.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Inkspot posted:

Iron Man takes place six months before Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America, which all happen the same week.

¿Que?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Inkspot posted:

They really needed more of a montage for the training. That was the meat of the movie and it felt really glossed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The framing story of him being dug out the ice and woke.

• Locked thread