Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

This is interesting

WoT Series.com posted:

On August 23rd, 2021, McAdams was abroad from London in order to start shooting on a secretive new series. Not much information beyond this is known; however, she is the same height as the body double used to stand in for a character we are quite certain is Selene (see tweet below for more information). Additionally, Sara spotted that McAdams is followed on social media by Ishamael actor, Fares Fares.

Could this be the Daughter of the Night?! This is in the speculation stage but she's following (and is followed by) Ishamael actor Fares Fares and started shooting her "secret series" at around the exact same time Fares was in Prague according to his Instagram. She also follows some other WoT cast/crew on Instagram.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Pleads posted:

But then there’s no real reason for the fox and snake people to keep her around as long since they can’t siphon the power from her.

Which I guess isn’t an issue if you speed up the rescue.

Assuming it’s a tied off shield, they can add a throwaway line about “drawing from a dammed lake instead of the river”

Oh neat I googled ‘dammed lake’ to make sure it’s a thing and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moraine-dammed_lake

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No that's Lara Croft

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

has the wheel turned enough for this thread to get good again

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CainFortea posted:

And then after this they turn back and can see the Trollocs going after the Gap.

No, there is an earlier scene where they're walking through the Blight and they can see the Gap fortress and the trollocs.

The scene those caps come from is later and Rand sees the towers, Moiraine says they're the Seven Towers of Malkier that have been overtaken by the Blight, Rand says they look like they've been like that for a thousand years and Moiraine says hardly 40, then "it" used to be miles from the Gap, referring to the Blight, not Malkier moving around.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What major changes were made because of this? Because I can't think of any outside of characters saying "it might be any one of them!" and the major plot beats of the season are the same as the book.

There are many but the first one that comes to mind is how undeveloped the relationship between Rand and Tam ended up being. We get what, a 10 second clip of Rand bringing feverish Tam to town while evading trollocs? That's a major scene in terms of Rand being forced to confront the truth of his entire life. That's the moment his world comes crashing down.

In the show, we get that reveal in ep 7 where machin shin tells him. That reveal fell flat in the show, period. I watch the shows weekly with a group of mostly non readers and the reaction was basically "oh I guess it's Rand". All the changes for a reveal that didn't land at all. Yes the mystery may have hooked some people but that's a pretty cheap alternative to what they could have focused on, imo. I think a lot of the "this seems like a CW show" is because of this. "Tune in this week to maybe solve the mystery of who the Dragon is" is not really what EotW is about.

Again, just my opinion. I still enjoy the show but like another poster said, I would have appreciated writers that trust the audience a little bit more. All of the best shows do that and wheel of Time just doesn't seem to.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No, there is an earlier scene where they're walking through the Blight and they can see the Gap fortress and the trollocs.

The scene those caps come from is later and Rand sees the towers, Moiraine says they're the Seven Towers of Malkier that have been overtaken by the Blight, Rand says they look like they've been like that for a thousand years and Moiraine says hardly 40, then "it" used to be miles from the Gap, referring to the Blight, not Malkier moving around.

No. Those caps are from 7:44. Them seeing the trollocs is at 19:10.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CainFortea posted:

No. Those caps are from 7:44. Them seeing the trollocs is at 19:10.

Oops, you're right, scrolling around on my phone had me reverse them.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Democratic Pirate posted:

Assuming it’s a tied off shield, they can add a throwaway line about “drawing from a dammed lake instead of the river”

Oh neat I googled ‘dammed lake’ to make sure it’s a thing and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moraine-dammed_lake

I'm on team-not-stilled but don't see a tied shield lasting that long unless they really move around the timeline.

Hexel posted:

Could this be the Daughter of the Night?! This is in the speculation stage but she's following (and is followed by) Ishamael actor Fares Fares and started shooting her "secret series" at around the exact same time Fares was in Prague according to his Instagram. She also follows some other WoT cast/crew on Instagram.
Maybe Graendal? There was already that other actress who fit a decent Lanfear profile (who may also match the body double, idk).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pleads posted:

I'm on team-not-stilled but don't see a tied shield lasting that long unless they really move around the timeline.

Maybe Graendal? There was already that other actress who fit a decent Lanfear profile (who may also match the body double, idk).

Lanfears knotted shield lasts for an entire book and doesn't unravel, Moghediens lasts even longer.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Lanfears knotted shield lasts for an entire book and doesn't unravel, Moghediens lasts even longer.

I think the idea was that Moiraine not being able to channel for that long would be stupid.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

iirc those shields are described in detail as being almost needlessly complex and the show's simplification of the power gives us zero feedback on that aspect so it's impossible to say :wooper:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pleads posted:

If Karima McAdams is Lanfear then that would make Natasha O'Keeffe almost certainly Elaida. We had some Elaida news from Judkins interviews after episode 8 aired.

We had an Elaida tease from Moiraine in episode 8 talking about being beaten with flows of air and fire as accepted, that's New Spring poo poo.

"Elaida tells Siuan and Myrelle to move aside, and has Moiraine begin again. Her onslaught of flashing lights, bangs and whistles is continuous, and accompanied by hard, strap-like blows."

Hexel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 26, 2021

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pleads posted:

iirc those shields are described in detail as being almost needlessly complex and the show's simplification of the power gives us zero feedback on that aspect so it's impossible to say :wooper:
Luckily there has been onscreen evidence of a very powerful channeler with lots of experience unknotting complicated knots who would be very motivated to help Moiraine.

Now everybody just needs to figure out that there is an invisible (to women) knot that needs to be dealt with.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It isn't punching out a Forsaken, but Nynaeve going hands-on when she's caught in TDR owns

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

thrawn527 posted:

I have friends who are non-book readers, and they kept asking each other (and me, though I didn’t answer) who the Dragon is throughout the season. It was one of their main hooks. So I don’t think it was a mistake at all.

My friends who haven't read the books but decided to give the show a chance were 100% invested in the "which one is the dragon reborn?" mystery so I think that worked pretty well as a hook to get new viewers in.

Also it facilitated the showrunner's intent to give each of the main 5 more agency and flesh out their characters earlier on, so seems like a pretty smart call as far as the needs of the adaptation.

Fwiw most of my friends assumed that the DR was going to be Nynaeve, Egwene, or Mat. I wonder if that would've changed if the show had included the whole scene with Rand dragging Tam through the woods.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I can't tell if the writers are giving Ewgrain and Perrin bad dialogue, or if its just bad delivery. Maybe both?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

perrin has jon snow mouth

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

My friends who haven't read the books but decided to give the show a chance were 100% invested in the "which one is the dragon reborn?" mystery so I think that worked pretty well as a hook to get new viewers in.

Also it facilitated the showrunner's intent to give each of the main 5 more agency and flesh out their characters earlier on, so seems like a pretty smart call as far as the needs of the adaptation.

Fwiw most of my friends assumed that the DR was going to be Nynaeve, Egwene, or Mat. I wonder if that would've changed if the show had included the whole scene with Rand dragging Tam through the woods.

I'm pretty sure if they showed Rand to not be who he seems to be it would have given the game away.
I've slept on it now, and Ishowmael is equal to Winter Dragon Ishamael.

It must be so much fun to play a role like that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I am in love with how steadfastly Ishy he is. Just rhapsodizing about how ignorant Rand is, how absolutely stupid he must be to think he has a chance of doing anything, and a look of joy when he has a chance of release from everything.

Even if he's not at all how it's done in the book, who cares, it's every bit as good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, it's a completely different direction from Billy Zane's "are you loving kidding me?" expression when he realises how far gone LTT is.

And it is absolutely wonderful.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I feel like they did me a favor by killing my anticipation for season 2 before it even got started.

Hopefully a lot of this is attributable to the absence of Barney Harris and they'll do a better job with next season.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What I don't get is why Mat not being there would leave Perrin with nothing to do still. He was the only character with nothing to do in the episode, and imo if there's one character who needs more to do than the books gave him it's Perrin, so that's not promising. Basically he was just there to be a viewpoint character to watch them do more fakeout deaths, which is pretty worthless.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sinteres posted:

What I don't get is why Mat not being there would leave Perrin with nothing to do still. He was the only character with nothing to do in the episode, and imo if there's one character who needs more to do than the books gave him it's Perrin, so that's not promising. Basically he was just there to be a viewpoint character to watch them do more fakeout deaths, which is pretty worthless.

Rewatching the finale. Perrin sees Fain walk by... "Hey. Stop."

*stumbles after him

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Sinteres posted:

With Mat gone they needed someone to interact with Padan Fain/the dagger instead, and the only one available was Perrin, and since Perrin doesn't even know the dagger exists afaik, and we never see him talk to Padan Fain ever, it doesn't hit very well, which it probably would of had Mat been there. As far as what Perrin would have been doing, maybe he would of been fighting the fades or fighting trollocs or something all goldeneye'd and poo poo. I have no evidence or knowledge of any extra/cut scenes, but he probably was supposed to be injured on the ground with Loial and Uno, with Mat arriving to see the carnage.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I was really hoping Rand would hit this pose from the OP. Freeze frame. Fade to black.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Perrin knows about the dagger. When they meet up in Ep6 he hugs Mat and says "At least i'm not stupid enough to pick up an evil dagger"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wait Belal is old as gently caress and meant to be a master swordsman right? Viggo is old af now

MAKE IT HAPPEN

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I only just realised that Ishamael is the soldier from Chernobyl tasked to exterminate animals.

This logically means that after doing that and being irradiated in the process, he learnt to channel and realised there was nothing worth saving and ascended to Ishyness.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I only just realised that Ishamael is the soldier from Chernobyl tasked to exterminate animals.

This logically means that after doing that and being irradiated in the process, he learnt to channel and realised there was nothing worth saving and ascended to Ishyness.

Remember my favorite interpretation: Ishamael is reborn in every age with his memories intact, and in every age LTT, unaware, clowns him. After however many repetitions he is just all in on nihilism as a way to get away from Rand.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What does Rand do in the first book that he doesn't do in the show? Aside from the ending with Tarwin's Gap I can't think of anything major.
An absolutely vast amount of poo poo. Seriously he is the main character and it's a long book. Even with the split party chapters in the middle he has almost all of that book from his POV. Particularly significant are the many dream sequences, the whole sequence of chapters of just him and Matt struggling to get to Caemlyn with and then without Thom. During that latter bit he goes through a ton of strain because by the time they get up Caemlyn Matt is almost physically trying to lie down and die in the street, and Rand has to carry him through all that. Then the secret garden/Elayne Elaida Gawyn Galad Morgase bit, plenty of bits with Loial, lots of interaction with Thom including finding out more about the prophecies of the Dragon... The encounter with Fain first in Caemlyn and then in Fal Dara. Etc.

thrawn527 posted:

I don’t think they could have, actually. In the book, you could read “Ishamael” and “The Dark One/Ba’alzamon” and assume they’re different people. In a show, you’d clearly see they’re the same person. To keep the secret, you have to either keep the burning mask on him, which would hide his performance, or hire two actors, which I think starts to get needlessly messy.
There's no reason the mask had to hide his performance. They just chose not to have him do any performance in it. In the books it's just a hosed up face sub fiery eyes and mouth, and there is a shitload of dialogue he delivers. Even if they kept the mask thing, there's no reason for that to prevent the actor delivering a full performance. Plenty of roles have required actors to wear masks.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

El Grillo posted:

An absolutely vast amount of poo poo. Seriously he is the main character and it's a long book... Then the secret garden/Elayne Elaida Gawyn Galad Morgase bit...

I was really excited to see that garden/Elayne bit and the royal reaction to a heron-marked blade.

:mad:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Imagining “I win again Lewis Therin” in the bane voice

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm about 50/50 on whether Agelmar is actually dead or not, tbh. We saw him take a spear, but he was glaring defiance rather than any of the traditional indicators of dying.

/\
It's a fantastic line.

Please no. We've had so many fake out deaths already

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Anias posted:

Remember my favorite interpretation: Ishamael is reborn in every age with his memories intact, and in every age LTT, unaware, clowns him. After however many repetitions he is just all in on nihilism as a way to get away from Rand.

Therefore, Rand is the reactor core. "Like a blazing sun," indeed.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I started rereading the books after watching the show. And oh boy, does the show not hold up well in comparison.

It's been many years since I read EotW, and I didn't really have super fond memories of it, I always liked there later books better. But man, rereading it now, they just handle things so much better than in the show.

I know, I know, writing for television is not the same as writing for TV, but still. They've made so many changes in the show, and I just don't think they are good changes. So many scenes work so much better in the book, have so much better dialogue, so much more emotion and personality.

There's a lot of cool stuff in the show but so much of it feels rushed and awkward and melodramatic.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I sent my brother the first scene of Min talking to Rand from the book and his takeaways were 1. no wonder people might want to hunt her down for her fortune telling if she's that creepy all the time, and 2. holy poo poo that way better.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm also rereading, and one thing that's fun though is that now I'm picturing the show actors for all the characters, and it works pretty drat well.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Data Graham posted:

I'm also rereading, and one thing that's fun though is that now I'm picturing the show actors for all the characters, and it works pretty drat well.

Yeah it does. Except for Perrin. I dunno, we'll see next season.

Fain and Logain fuckin rule tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm pretty sure if they showed Rand to not be who he seems to be it would have given the game away.
I've slept on it now, and Ishowmael is equal to Winter Dragon Ishamael.

It must be so much fun to play a role like that.

There's a fair amount of stuff in the show about Nynaeve being born outside the Two Rivers (or having parents who are from other lands, one of those), being adopted, etc. Feels like there was a way to similarly layer in that sort of information with Rand - and I think they did try with the hangedAielman that Mat and Thom cut down - without it being a dead giveaway.

Also seconding that Ishamael rules, I love the portrayal here that really highlights how much the Forsaken think everyone in the 3rd age are primitives and rubes.