Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The pucks won't shred but everything around them will! hth

Edit: lol at the h t h replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Well, then, I go back to my original question.

pokie posted:

Any suggestions for pants that are not going to tear to shreds, but are still breathable in CA heat?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

So they studied birds and the effect the color of their feathers and down has on their bodies (in relation to windspeed and ambient temperature), and this directly correlates to the color of clothing we're wearing?

e: Totally ignoring the materials that makeup said feathers/down vs jacket/shirt.

ee: Sorry- vs vest/bare skin (for you bros/hardcore out there)

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 18, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also suggests that for it to work the material would still have to be light and billowy, which uh, is not an ideal construction for bike gear

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

pokie posted:

Well, then, I go back to my original question.

Accept that most pants are one-use, and if you need it to be a bit more crash resistant you need more material than is comfortable in the heat? Sorry bud. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Any mesh with textile in the slide areas.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Is the 10c still pretty much the way to go for comms/camera? The package deal is really what piques my interest.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KARMA! posted:

Accept that most pants are one-use, and if you need it to be a bit more crash resistant you need more material than is comfortable in the heat? Sorry bud. :(

Fair enough.

Z3n posted:

Any mesh with textile in the slide areas.

Will these be a good example?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-anthem-2-mesh-over-pants

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

Is the 10c still pretty much the way to go for comms/camera? The package deal is really what piques my interest.

One downside I found out is that it only pairs with four total senas, not eight. No big group ride chats

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

One downside I found out is that it only pairs with four total senas, not eight. No big group ride chats

That sounds like an accidental feature.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah - I might go for something without leather on the inside of the leg but that's your call.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

What's wrong with leather on the inside? My Icon Arakis have that same leather on the inside.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nothing's wrong with it, just its not gonna help you out if you're looking for max airflow.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I find leather grips the tank better than textiles but YMMV.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pope Mobile posted:

I find leather grips the tank better than textiles but YMMV.

Stompgrip / techspec

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Wanted a summer jacket for cheap since I sold my previous Joe Rocket when I moved overseas; first pawnshop I checked had a red and black Joe Rocket Ballistic, tried it on and it fit me like a glove. Kinda odd because I've had real trouble finding those that fit me, and this one was labeled a Medium which should be swimming on me. Then I realized the zipper was on the wrong side.

What the hell, for glove-snug fit and $30, I'm not too proud to wear a women's jacket. Gotta de-stankify it though since the lady who owned it apparently sweated it up something good.

Quick question: I found a riding jacket at the second pawnshop for $50, all leather with mesh interior, clearly a riding jacket since it has vent-zippers and curved arms, inside spine pad and all. Label says all-leather exterior with manmade interior. If it's solid leather and feels like a decent heavy jacket, is it likely it meets basic safety standards, or is there a chance it's really shoddy leather despite the weight and I should buy something where I can clearly identify the brand? Can't find a label on it anywhere, but it fits me great (and yes the zipper is on the correct side). I have a gorgeous heavy Champlain Leather quality jacket from Vermont I also got for $50 in a pawnshop, but this nameless one fits me slightly snugger (I've lost weight) and I'd be less sad to lose it if someone jacks it in a restaurant or something. Worth buying to beat on or is it a risky deathtrap?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 23, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Wanted a summer jacket for cheap since I sold my previous Joe Rocket when I moved overseas; first pawnshop I checked had a red and black Joe Rocket Ballistic, tried it on and it fit me like a glove. Kinda odd because I've had real trouble finding those that fit me, and this one was labeled a Medium which should be swimming on me. Then I realized the zipper was on the wrong side.

What the hell, for glove-snug fit and $30, I'm not too proud to wear a women's jacket.

My Dainese jacket (men's style) has the zipper on the "wrong" side, too. I wouldn't read too much into that. A better indication is if it's loose in the chest. Or if it has a W somewhere on the tag, you know.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Since it's obviously a riding jacket, it's probably fine. Most riding jackets are full grain cowhide that's 1.1-1.3mm, whereas casual jackets are usually 0.8mm or lower, and can often be split grain (quite a bit less abrasion resistant). But even some (quite expensive) "casual" styled riding jackets can be 0.8-1mm. If anything, the stitching would probably be the bigger concern. You probably aren't going to die though.

edit: Left sided zippers are usually present on European brands (Dai, Rev'it, etc). Joe Rocket is American so AFAIK all of their men's zippers are on the right size, but it's certainly possible they outsourced manufacturing for that jacket to a factory that uses left sided zippers (some of the BiLT men's jackets have them). Regardless, it doesn't matter; if it fits, it fits. Only noticeable thing is you'll get a nice hourglass shape and the option of stuffing your chest.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 23, 2016

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I"m looking to pick up a good textile jacket after having my big, super heavy and hot leather jacket cut off of me by EMTs. I'm looking specifically at the Klim Induction. Any thoughts on this?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
So I guess now is the time to buy bike gear from England with free shipping?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

VERTiG0 posted:

I"m looking to pick up a good textile jacket after having my big, super heavy and hot leather jacket cut off of me by EMTs. I'm looking specifically at the Klim Induction. Any thoughts on this?

Are you a dad irl?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

So I tried these and the fit was godawful. The pant legs were way too wide and armor would just slide off to nowhere land. I ended up coughing up cash for these pants instead.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-rainsun-pants

They seem to have a great fit as over pants and normal pants, a lot more armor that stays in place and should be ok for the few rainy days that CA gets if I put the front strips back on.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
How big of a deal are slightly short sleeves on a leather jacket? Per my measurements the A* gp-r i'm looking at is half an inch to an inch short in the sleeves. I have gauntlet gloves which would cover it.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Hollis Brown posted:

How big of a deal are slightly short sleeves on a leather jacket? Per my measurements the A* gp-r i'm looking at is half an inch to an inch short in the sleeves. I have gauntlet gloves which would cover it.

From a guy with a one piece A* suit whose sleeves are a little long I'd say it's not a big deal. My problem was my gauntlets would get pushed out by the sleeves and my previously well-fitting gloves would now have a 3/4" gap on each finger.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My leather Dianese jacket was a hair short but "stretched out" after a month. As it broke in. By like half an inch I think.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Marxalot posted:

Are you a dad irl?

You know I'm not but the Induction doesn't look too daddish IMO.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Anyone have a scoop on special pricing/sales for the RF1200? I need to buy a new helmet. Cycle Gear (and formerly New Enough) is selling them for $437. Can I do any better if I wait?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

You know I'm not but the Induction doesn't look too daddish IMO.

I had to google what the jacket looks like and, I'm sorry, you're either lying about being a dad or you've got a child somewhere you aren't aware of.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Just get the helmet. It's a nice one and it's worth the price.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I actually like the looks of the Hi-Viz Induction. It's a nice mix of practical and stylish.

Just like cargo shorts.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Any of you goons got a 30x30 pair of kevlar-reinforced riding trousers you'd like to sell in the US?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Slavvy posted:

I had to google what the jacket looks like and, I'm sorry, you're either lying about being a dad or you've got a child somewhere you aren't aware of.

Aw c'mon man! It's not bad:

And that's the hi-viz version! I'd have the black one.

THIS is megadad:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hithisisanthonywithrevzillatvandijustwanttodie

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The year 2000 called. It wants its jeans back.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MetaJew posted:

The year 2000 called. It wants its jeans back.

wtf, those are cutting-edge dad jeans.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Chichevache posted:

Hithisisanthonywithrevzillatvandijustwanttodie

Hahaha

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Whatever, dude made his gently caress You money.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

THIS is megadad:

Would you do him? I'd do him.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Klim Badlands owns, don't hate

Dad level: 2 dads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character