Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I want to put sliders on my WK2, apparently the install is hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

These things are loving heavy, so it'll be interesting.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Ouch yeah have fun with that and don't drop them on yourself. :)

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Kim Jong Astonishing cannot comprehend square headlights, and hates freedom. Sad!

don't buy the 2.5

I lol'd at this.

Square eyes best eyes gently caress the haters.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

These things are loving heavy, so it'll be interesting.

Buy some long wood boards and make a suport brace to sit on a jackstand. You will be less tired when your done

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

ewiley posted:

Sooooo, my 2000 grey XJ got snatched from the commuter lot near where I live. Insurance will give me all of $1500 for it, but goddamnit i spent many hours wrenching on that fucker and now I'm really loving depressed about it.

So if anyone finds a grey XJ in NoVA or the DMV that is suspiciously cheap, maybe let me know :(

So wonder of wonders, the poor thing was found dumped in DC with a popped lock and a mess inside. They didn't even steal my pirated Enya CD's. Surprisingly insurance is paying to fix it.

Unfortunately the tow truck that pulled it back down to VA hooked it up at the rear wheels, rather than using a flatbed. It's 30 miles to the body shop. So since it's a 4x4 how hosed is my transmission? And how do I show that the transmission is hosed? Will it probably not drive or just not in 4WD?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Did they tow it on the rear wheels only? That won't mess up your transfer case, but it will drive half of your transmission without oil circulation.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

EightBit posted:

Did they tow it on the rear wheels only? That won't mess up your transfer case, but it will drive half of your transmission without oil circulation.

No, they towed it with the front wheels on the ground and the rear in the air. I also assume the transfer case was in 2Hi and the transmission was probably in neutral, considering they had no clue what they were doing.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Someone tell me why I shouldn't buy this.

http://www.reedmantoll.com/certified/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler-14147d590a0e0ae74485b7901e6f2b6e.htm

I had an XJ which I regret getting rid of but I went and bought a new 2015 Subaru Crosstrek two years ago. Insurance is super cheap, good on gas, etc. I want a Jeep back but god drat this seems like a terrible decision.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

ewiley posted:

No, they towed it with the front wheels on the ground and the rear in the air. I also assume the transfer case was in 2Hi and the transmission was probably in neutral, considering they had no clue what they were doing.

Do you have an NP231 transfer case, or a fancier model?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Do you know if the 4x4 was working before the theft and the tow? Tow company will probably say that the thieves did it and there may not be any way to disprove that. Where you there to see the towing or are you hearing from someone else? Sounds like you're having a pretty lovely week :(

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

EightBit posted:

Do you have an NP231 transfer case, or a fancier model?

It had the NP242 with the part-time 4WD.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Do you know if the 4x4 was working before the theft and the tow? Tow company will probably say that the thieves did it and there may not be any way to disprove that. Where you there to see the towing or are you hearing from someone else? Sounds like you're having a pretty lovely week :(

It'd probably been a few months since i'd used the 4WD but it worked just fine this winter. I'm pretty sure I saw it being towed on the highway briefly as i was taking the bus home from work, but there are still eleven billion grey XJ's on the road so I could have been mistaken.

I guess I'll just have to wait till it gets repaired enough to drive then try-out the transfer case :sigh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ewiley posted:

It had the NP242 with the part-time 4WD.

Was it actually in 4AllTime? I thought the 242 has a proper 2HI mode, unlike my 247.

Falken Wildpeak AT3W trip report: LT245/70R17s fit perfectly and as far as I can tell, they either don't rub, or they rub extremely lightly on the fender liner. I haven't stuck my head underneath to see if it left any marks. I have to recalibrate my brain a bit on what size rocks on the ground I can more easily clear than before.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Falken Wildpeak AT3W trip report: LT245/70R17s fit perfectly and as far as I can tell, they either don't rub, or they rub extremely lightly on the fender liner. I haven't stuck my head underneath to see if it left any marks. I have to recalibrate my brain a bit on what size rocks on the ground I can more easily clear than before.

You're sitting like .5" taller, you'd probably be okay without recalibrating :D

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

You're sitting like .5" taller, you'd probably be okay without recalibrating :D

I was probably being overly conservative before too :v:

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Was it actually in 4AllTime? I thought the 242 has a proper 2HI mode, unlike my 247.

Yeah it was probably in 2Hi at the time, since that's where it always is.

Oh i meant NP242 with the *full time* 4Hi

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ewiley posted:

Yeah it was probably in 2Hi at the time, since that's where it always is.

Oh i meant NP242 with the *full time* 4Hi

You're probably fine. Worst case it burned up the bearing that supports the chain sprocket on the mainshaft due to lack of lubrication but it'll probably be fine. How far and how fast was the tow?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

kastein posted:

You're probably fine. Worst case it burned up the bearing that supports the chain sprocket on the mainshaft due to lack of lubrication but it'll probably be fine. How far and how fast was the tow?

30 or so miles at highway speed.. Is there any obvious way to tell if the bearing is blown? My U-joints need replacing so it's already noisy, will probably be hard to detect any new noises :D

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

In broken TJ shock bolt news I ended up taking it to a shop as I don't have an air chisel etc. They ended up welding a nut on the bolt and were able to extract it. Pretty happy with that for 1hrs labour and a couple of bucks for a new bolt. Jeep is no longer making me seasick :dance:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So I bought that JK I posted a few days ago. I am back in the Jeep game. Any potential problems with a 2015 JK I should be aware of? Only mechanical thing I noticed, someone hosed around with the front diff and theres RTV splooge all around.. the rear diff looks like its still factory sealed. That was my only red flag.. it has 40k miles on it. Hoping some lovely tech just went a little nuts with RTV when changing fluid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Get lubelocker gaskets, never gently caress with rtv again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't know of anything specific for '15s, but it's still a Dodge and will probably have rando electrical gremlins at some point.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I just went from a Subaru to a Chrysler again... why do I hate myself.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The good news is that JC Whitney processed my RMA refund yesterday. For the radiator they received 7 weeks ago.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Was cleaning out the Jeep this morning since my dealer detail dept sucks... I have god drat termites. Little wings all over the place.. saw at least 6 walking around, only one inside. Termites.. and I didn't park under a tree or anything.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Get lubelocker gaskets, never gently caress with rtv again.

IOC speaks the truth. I have one for a Ford 8.8 (Installed + re-installed after fluids change) and a D30 (installed + reinstalled 2 separate times). They work great and seem to be reusable at least a couple times.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

IOC speaks the truth. I have one for a Ford 8.8 (Installed + re-installed after fluids change) and a D30 (installed + reinstalled 2 separate times). They work great and seem to be reusable at least a couple times.

Good to know.. I hate dealing with cat-piss RTV.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Thoughts?

2003 Jeep TJ for sale $9999
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/6260284756.html

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

I would ask for a modification list including brand information and go from there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So after turtling on a rock, my WJ has developed an intermittent clanking that only happened initially on hard bumps. I thought at first I had snapped some bolts holding a slider on, but nope. Then I thought suspension, but I can't recreate the noise by cycling it by hand.

I noticed tonight that it clanks every time I start it. Perhaps exhaust / crossmember interference?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

So after turtling on a rock, my WJ has developed an intermittent clanking that only happened initially on hard bumps. I thought at first I had snapped some bolts holding a slider on, but nope. Then I thought suspension, but I can't recreate the noise by cycling it by hand.

I noticed tonight that it clanks every time I start it. Perhaps exhaust / crossmember interference?

Almost sounds like a mount. Maybe it put weight on some part of the drivetrain that tore a mount, and it flops around sometimes?

Could be the exhaust if it doesn't sound like something heavy, though

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought mounts too, but standing on the brakes while goosing the throttle in gear didn't get me any noise like I'd expect if it was flopping around. I did put new OE mounts in a year or two ago, so I'd be surprised if they failed already.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I may have the opportunity to trade my (currently non running) crate 350 and FAST EFI conversion for a 5.3 LS swap. Should I?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A straight across trade? Seems sketchy, why would they want the old 350 instead of the 5.3?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Isn't that fast system worth money?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

A straight across trade? Seems sketchy, why would they want the old 350 instead of the 5.3?

My buddy found a guy with a Silverado he rolled. Everything is good but the front end and frame. My buddy ALSO wants my EFI system for his CJ rebuild he's done. He's offering to see if the guy will trade him the truck for my 350, and he's offering to do the swap in exchange for the EFI system. Here's his explanation.

My Buddy posted:

You trade your 350 and all EFI plus about $100 for reprogram to get a LS.

I get the EFI and rest of truck. I do the swap and fabricate the motor mounts, do the wiring harness mods. Plus my $150 carb on the crate engine that goes to truck guy.

I'd be doing probably $1k in work for it. Plus the carb.
You'd be swapping non-working stuff for upgraded stuff, plus you'd be in $100 cash.
Truck guy would get a carbed crate 350.

always be closing posted:

Isn't that fast system worth money?

Yeah, around 1500 new.

My jeep hasn't been reliably running in forever and it's just sitting in the yard rusting into the ground so I am really torn. Especially since I'll be heading out of town soon for a week and he'd be able to have the swap all done by the time I get back.

He's reputable and I know him and trust his judgment. He's built several Jeep's and he helped me install my 8.8. It seems like a good deal, but I just don't know.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 30, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The 5.3 is a way better motor, and will put out better numbers with less work. That said, did he run the motor upside down for long? How many miles on it? I wouldn't trade a fresh rebuilt 350 for a 200k mile 5.3 that you could get in a junkyard for a few hundred bucks.

Upgrades that you pay good money to get in a 350 that are stock in a 5.3:
  • Roller cam
  • Roller rockers
  • 1-piece rear main seal
  • Rubber gaskets everywhere
  • 6-bolt main bearings
  • Aluminum heads
  • MPFI and distributorless spark

Not to mention the great port design and real high lift capability. Is it a gen3 or gen4 motor? Gen4 has some improvements, but you have to run DBW.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

After dicking with the throttle cable, DBW is probably more blessing than curse these days.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I bought this 98 Cherokee limited on eBay on sunday, it arrived today, 177k, one owner. I guess the limiteds have every option, this one sure does, its a total creampuff. I will snap some more pics after I detail it and put it up on the lift, but its as clean underneath as it looks up top, I was shocked. Carfax has this thing living its whole life in Brooklyn, NY, no rust or scaling at all. I paid a little more than I usually do for a daily, but im very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Man, I don't know why I waited so long to take my headliner out. Yeesh.