Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My 2006 DRZ had a bald rear tire, and the original front tire (8 years old). Between riding it home and to the shop, I went through about a tank of gas. Had to flip to reserve at 147km.

After putting on fresh tires, I hit reserve at 166km!

Quite a difference in mileage..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but just recently watched Long Way Down. It was pretty cool so I plan on watching Long Way Round soon. Does anyone else have any other motorcycle movies, TV shows, or books they'd recommend?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

hot sauce posted:

I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but just recently watched Long Way Down. It was pretty cool so I plan on watching Long Way Round soon. Does anyone else have any other motorcycle movies, TV shows, or books they'd recommend?

Have you seen "On Any Sunday"? Probably the holy grail of motorcycle movies. Make sure you are not watching "Any Given Sunday" because that will confuse the poo poo out of you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

hot sauce posted:

TT3D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

hot sauce posted:

Faster.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

hot sauce posted:

Long way down is awful so you can only do better. Faster, Fastest, The Doctor the Tornado and the Kentucky Kid are all motogp related and worth watching,
Mondo enduro and Terra Circa are about a bunch of english guys that do long way round type trips without a bunch of support vehicles.
Riding solo to the top of the world is about an Indian guy riding an old Enfield around the Himalayas.
On Any Sunday is a classic american documentary from the 70s, with Steve McQueen.
TT3D is about the isle of man races and Guy Martins sideburns.

There are loads of others, those are just the first ones i could think of

edit: gently caress you one word reply assholes

echomadman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 9, 2013

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

A cool non-bike doco is Senna if you want to branch out.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

epalm posted:

My 2006 DRZ had a bald rear tire, and the original front tire (8 years old). Between riding it home and to the shop, I went through about a tank of gas. Had to flip to reserve at 147km.

After putting on fresh tires, I hit reserve at 166km!

Quite a difference in mileage..

I thought I was being bad about putting off changing my front tire, holy poo poo :stare: That is pretty cool about your mileage going up... I'm really grateful to whichever PO of my bike swapped on a bigger tank; the stock one on the XLR is pretty small and I'd reckon I'd have a similar range... I've never ridden down to reserve but normally fill it up at around 350kms.

I was originally gonna go into the shop to order a new front tire Monday, but we had a typhoon hitting that night, so decided I'd wait and make sure my bike was still around afterwards to need a new front tire :v: (Fortunately the storm mostly missed us, although I did get all my classes cancelled yesterday out of it). I've had my bike get knocked over once or twice by strong winds (to be fair, it's a 250, but I've seen it happen to a neighbor's V-Max), so I lifted/scooted it over and braced it against a wall, then used a ratchet strap on the opposite side of the frame to secure it to a pillar. I wouldn't say it was the strongest winds I've seen here, but I feel pretty good about it and think it ought to hold up if there's another storm I've got to prepare for.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

echomadman posted:

Long way down is awful so you can only do better. Faster, Fastest, The Doctor the Tornado and the Kentucky Kid are all motogp related and worth watching,
Mondo enduro and Terra Circa are about a bunch of english guys that do long way round type trips without a bunch of support vehicles.
Riding solo to the top of the world is about an Indian guy riding an old Enfield around the Himalayas.
On Any Sunday is a classic american documentary from the 70s, with Steve McQueen.
TT3D is about the isle of man races and Guy Martins sideburns.

There are loads of others, those are just the first ones i could think of

I will be adding all of these on Netflix to my queue, esp the adventure ones. Thanks!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Don't miss On Any Sunday. It's hilarious and was on Netflix Instant last I checked.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

Don't miss On Any Sunday. It's hilarious and was on Netflix Instant last I checked.

Since so many folks have suggested it I'm going to put it right after Long Way Round. I still have no Internet, so no instant for me :(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Obv.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Also BikerBoyz

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Torque is legitimately great / hilarious, Biker Boyz is just bad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ought ten posted:

I'm watching it now and it's a lot of fun.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

Faster.

And Fastest and The Doctor, The Tornado, and the Kentucky Kid. I'd watch them in chronological (Faster, The Doctor, Fastest) just because.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

echomadman posted:

Sorry

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Torque is legitimately great / hilarious,

You are a horrible person take that back immediately.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

echomadman posted:

There's also One Crazy Ride by the same people. Five people on old motorcycles in the Himalayas, with no support or camera crews.

Serious adventure riding trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkb4558ym5w

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

You are a horrible person take that back immediately.

You know id take it back, but my keyboard got jacked up

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Cycles South

Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8-l7ufP-I4

The subtext, I think, is "dodge the draft".

e: Mondo Enduro is also really good.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Torque and Biker Boyz are my favorite motorcycle movies. :colbert:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7gfbVpraWw

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

The craziest part of that is she actually goes out with him after he bunny hops his gixxer and nearly kills her. It's still a loving fantastic movie.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

ought ten posted:

If for no other reason, watch the movie to see this guy in action:

http://www.malcolmsmith.com/malcolmstory.htm

As a kid, my motorcycle idols were my father and that guy. Most people would be tickled to score a single gold in the international 6-day trials and the guy had 8 of the things by the time he stopped going to do other things.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Seeing On Any Sunday 3 years ago reminded me of having fun when I was a kid on a motorcycle, so I took the MSF and got a motorcycle.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Cycles South

Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8-l7ufP-I4

The subtext, I think, is "dodge the draft".

e: Mondo Enduro is also really good.

I was racking my brain trying to remember the name of this one. Great movie and some of you California guys should do a remake with some adv type bikes and go pros.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EvilSlug posted:

If for no other reason, watch the movie to see this guy in action:

http://www.malcolmsmith.com/malcolmstory.htm

As a kid, my motorcycle idols were my father and that guy. Most people would be tickled to score a single gold in the international 6-day trials and the guy had 8 of the things by the time he stopped going to do other things.

Malcolm Smith was great in the movie, seemed like he was always popping up, "Hey guys guess I'll try this kind of motorcycle race... oh shucks I placed third in the hillclimb with my stock bike, wasn't that fun?"

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Last night I bought a Zuma 125 on impulse, what have I done?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A good thing? Scooters own

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
We made a srs post about a thing

http://hipsterbikevideos.tumblr.com/post/63704172865/srs-post-this-time-we-here-as-dudes-enjoy

http://hipsterbikevideos.tumblr.com/post/63704694664/this-is-what-empowering-female-riders-looks-like

Usually we just make jokes but this got us worked up.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

So that's what you were talking about at the meetup on sun in DC. Nice hashtags btw.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A good thing? Scooters own

We got my girlfriends scooter running last night (it had sat for some months) so her little sister can borrow it while her car is fixed.

"I'll take it for a spin tomorrow to make sure it's safe for her to ride."

I just want a loving go on it.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

This had me rolling, and I cafe'd my bike.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I wish more people understood paragraphs.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I wish more people understood paragraphs.

I'm pretty sure that part of the beauty is that it has no line breaks.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you can't enjoy a story about banging a fat chick then walking in on some dude gargling a skinhead's balls because of improper formatting, then I feel bad for you man

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My neighbor (Harley, ridden 1-2 times a week) and his son (Ninja 250, ridden daily) ride and I've always been amused by how long they let their bikes warm up and cool down after a ride. Talked to the son about it today and he outlined it for me. Keep in mind this is how they do this anytime the bike has sat or will sit for more than four hours.

Starting
-Full choke, turn gas to 'reserve'
-Start bike and let idle at full choke for 45-60 seconds
-Turn gas to 'on', half choke for 30 seconds
-No choke, ready to ride

Shutdown
-Full choke, gas to 'off' until bike quits

Nothing inherently wrong with it, just odd to me I guess. Keep in mind this is SOP whether it's 100+ degrees or freezing cold and they do this regardless of what time they leave/arrive.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That seems pretty OCD.

I ran out of gas a couple times because I forgot to switch my petcock to ON (once in traffic with my daughter riding behind me), so now I just leave it on ON permanently. Is this bad? Most of the time I don't even think about my petcock, whether starting up or shutting down at the end of the day. I ride to work daily, and my bike doesn't normally sit in the garage for more than 1 or 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

That seems pretty OCD.

I ran out of gas a couple times because I forgot to switch my petcock to ON (once in traffic with my daughter riding behind me), so now I just leave it on ON permanently. Is this bad? Most of the time I don't even think about my petcock, whether starting up or shutting down at the end of the day. I ride to work daily, and my bike doesn't normally sit in the garage for more than 1 or 2 days.

If it's a gravity fed petcock, leaving it ON will eventually overload the float needles and dump fuel through the overflow drains. That may also gunk up your float needles, causing you to run rich.

Vacuum petcock supremacy.

I would not leave a gravity fed petcock ON habitually. Forgetting to close it now and then probably hurts nothing, but you shouldn't rely solely on your float needles.