Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Moose Bigelow posted:

The worst thing they ever did was when Orton and Cena defeated the entire raw roster. Way to kill kayfabe Vinny Mac.

Yeah, but it did show us that Orton and Cena have incredible chemistry as a tag team, far better than they do in singles matches against one another. Too bad WWE will never run with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Wasn;t it a DQ win or something though.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
They should have a planking rib on someone and have John Cena pin the whole roster at once.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Moose Bigelow posted:

The worst thing they ever did was when Orton and Cena defeated the entire raw roster. Way to kill kayfabe Vinny Mac.

HHH destroying London & Kendrick when they helped him was a million times worse than this

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Yeah, agreed. While Cena and Orton squashed the whole Raw roster at least it didn't damage any individual more than the other really, while the Triple H situation just made two promising younger guys look like chumps because having assistance offered is an insult to monolith of isolated masculinity that is Triple H.

Edit: So being a music geek I know all about the various contexts that the term 'indie' can be used in and how it refers to different aspects of music in different contexts and that there are a few different ideas of what actually constitutes an indie artist.

Anyway, I'm getting wide of my own point, but what constitutes an 'indie' promotion in a wrestling context and at what stage does an indie company lose this categorisation as it grows?

I've always considered an indie promotion to be one that is not being financed by a corporation with the clear first priority of commerce and one that produces and distributes it's own content and that once it stops doing either of these thing itself it's no longer considered an indie promotion. So in my mind ROH would no longer be considered an independent promotion now that they are owned by Sinclair and will have them distributing their content on a large scale.

Is this correct?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 27, 2011

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

Agreed.

Now, do ECW apologists feel the Tommy Dreamer/Sandman angle is an exception to the rule?

Yes, only because it worked in the context of their feud and characters, and because Sandman sold it for a month.

And part of the reason it's so annoying when WWE does it is because they do it all the time, and their writing team's changeover is so nuts that it makes all their storylines inconsistent.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sue Denim posted:

Yeah, agreed. While Cena and Orton squashed the whole Raw roster at least it didn't damage any individual more than the other really, while the Triple H situation just made two promising younger guys look like chumps because having assistance offered is an insult to monolith of isolated masculinity that is Triple H.

No, seriously, how can you justify Cena and Orton defeating something like twenty dudes? Triple H assaulted two, and sure, they were great, and sure, there was no reason for HHH to do that, but for gently caress's sake, it was seriously like twenty or thirty guys that were fed into the pyre for Cena and Orton. It was the most obvious way ever of saying "EVERYONE IN THE COMPANY IS INFERIOR TO CENA AND ORTON".

That fact, everyone < Cena and Orton, is one of the reasons I have never been less interested in the WWE than right now.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Because one is just par for the course and at least making your main events look strong, and the other is two guys being buried for no reason. HHH didn't look strong at all by getting helped and punking out the guys that helped him.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
It's been a while, but wasn't the opposing team the lowest of the low jobbers?

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

rotinaj posted:

No, seriously, how can you justify Cena and Orton defeating something like twenty dudes? Triple H assaulted two, and sure, they were great, and sure, there was no reason for HHH to do that, but for gently caress's sake, it was seriously like twenty or thirty guys that were fed into the pyre for Cena and Orton. It was the most obvious way ever of saying "EVERYONE IN THE COMPANY IS INFERIOR TO CENA AND ORTON".

That fact, everyone < Cena and Orton, is one of the reasons I have never been less interested in the WWE than right now.

It was 17 (jobbers except JBL and Umaga (both unpinned)) against 2, and they only pinned 8 of them before everyone jumped on their heads. And anyway it ended with HHH pedigreeing both of them and posing so if they were saying "EVERYONE IN THE COMPANY IS INFERIOR TO CENA AND ORTON" then HHH is the greatest of all time!

Thanks for reminding me of it to fact-check that tho, fun little match.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

No, seriously, how can you justify Cena and Orton defeating something like twenty dudes?

I am sure the tears spilled by Val Venis having to do the job for people who anyone actually cares about will bear a tree in his memory.

This match resulted in a no contest by the way after the other half of the jobbers got involved all at once. It was mainly a way to see a bunch of RKOs and build a big Mania event.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

Because one is just par for the course and at least making your main events look strong, and the other is two guys being buried for no reason. HHH didn't look strong at all by getting helped and punking out the guys that helped him.

My favorite was Sheamus putting him out of action for months - then HHH comes back and takes about a minute and a half to drive Sheamus through an announce table and make him look like a complete non-threat because he had to quickly get into an angle with The Undertaker. I know that people have tried defending that with a few different reasons but it made Sheamus look like a complete goof.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

My favorite was Sheamus putting him out of action for months - then HHH comes back and takes about a minute and a half to drive Sheamus through an announce table and make him look like a complete non-threat because he had to quickly get into an angle with The Undertaker. I know that people have tried defending that with a few different reasons but it made Sheamus look like a complete goof.

What was worse about that angle was the commentary line,"Why would Sheamus even come out here?" as if there was absolutely no connection between the two wrestlers.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

What was worse about that angle was the commentary line,"Why would Sheamus even come out here?" as if there was absolutely no connection between the two wrestlers.

Josh Mathews actually explained their history, but everyone was too busy posting about how Sheamus was being buried to notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XkcBmVtFPk#t=4m25s

But yeah, that was the only mention of it, if I recall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I think I completely missed that, I certainly have no memory of it. Good ol' Josh Matthews :)

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Because if you single people out it makes them look much weaker in my opinion, where as if you wreck a large collective it goes to making the wrecker look strong rather than the wreckees look weak.

People remember the time Triple made London and Kendrick look ridiculous, but it's not like anyone associates a particular damaging shot to anyone in particulars credibility in the Cena/Orton match.

I'm sure for a while after a lot of people looked at London and Kendrick in a diminished capacity, but I doubt anyone thought of guys looking weak in the big tag match to a degree where it effected their credibility the next week when the guys who jobbed to Cena and Orton were back to wrestling eachother again.

Plus it's wrestling, so anyone and everyone is as good as WWE wants them to be on any given week, so I don't tend to worry about that stuff personally.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Sue Denim posted:

Because if you single people out it makes them look much weaker in my opinion, where as if you wreck a large collective it goes to making the wrecker look strong rather than the wreckees look weak.

People remember the time Triple made London and Kendrick look ridiculous, but it's not like anyone associates a particular damaging shot to anyone in particulars credibility in the Cena/Orton match.

I'm sure for a while after a lot of people looked at London and Kendrick in a diminished capacity, but I doubt anyone thought of guys looking weak in the big tag match to a degree where it effected their credibility the next week when the guys who jobbed to Cena and Orton were back to wrestling eachother again.

Plus it's wrestling, so anyone and everyone is as good as WWE wants them to be on any given week, so I don't tend to worry about that stuff personally.

Counterpoint. It was completely in line with Triple H's character at the time. A face, but a massive douche nonetheless. iirc he caught London and Kendrick completely off guard and pedigreed them.

It wasn't as if they'd been jobbed out to him in a two on one handicap match or anything where the setup was actually fair.

I came out of that not thinking London or Kendrick were weaker, just thinking that HHH was a dick.

Plus, absolutely hilarious.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It may seem completely alien to you, but you can write things for characters that are in line with what they are without burying other people! Amazing, huh?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Counterpoint. It was completely in line with Triple H's character at the time. A face, but a massive douche nonetheless. iirc he caught London and Kendrick completely off guard and pedigreed them.

It wasn't as if they'd been jobbed out to him in a two on one handicap match or anything where the setup was actually fair.

I came out of that not thinking London or Kendrick were weaker, just thinking that HHH was a dick.

Plus, absolutely hilarious.

Unless he pedigrees them at the same exact time after sneaking up on them, the setup was fair and makes them look like worthless idiots for getting laid out. (This wasn't what happened.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You know what else would be in line for HHH's character? loving another corpse. But that isn't a good idea either.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
This feels like a Twitter hashtag game in the making.

Beating the midcard champs in a handicap match in 2 minutes #ThingsConsistentWithHHHsCharacter

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Captain Charisma posted:

This feels like a Twitter hashtag game in the making.

Beating the midcard champs in a handicap match in 2 minutes #ThingsConsistentWithHHHsCharacter

Leaving the carton in the fridge when there isn't enough milk in it for anything #ThingsConsistentWithHHHsCharacter

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Endorph posted:

You know what else would be in line for HHH's character? loving another corpse. But that isn't a good idea either.

It really loving pisses me off every time I'm reminded WWE once had a guy gently caress a corpse. How did I continue to watch wrestling?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

It really loving pisses me off every time I'm reminded WWE once had a guy gently caress a corpse. How did I continue to watch wrestling?

What made it better/worse/better again for me was the story about how when they were filming him loving the corpse there was a funeral taking place in the next room.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It was a Kane feud. All Kane feuds are about that terrible. If you're anything like me, by now you just ignore every storyline Kane is involved in.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Oatgan posted:

It was a Kane feud. All Kane feuds are about that terrible. If you're anything like me, by now you just ignore every storyline Kane is involved in.

Trust me, I don't pay attention anymore. But what medium other than wrestling could present a story where a man digs up the corpse of another wrestler's deceased girlfriend (or whatever), then gently caress its brians out? And we talk about it like it's normal, and the show isn't purged from the air by people wielding pitchforks and torches.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Trust me, I don't pay attention anymore. But what medium other than wrestling could present a story where a man digs up the corpse of another wrestler's deceased girlfriend (or whatever), then gently caress its brians out? And we talk about it like it's normal, and the show isn't purged from the air by people wielding pitchforks and torches.

I guess you never heard of what happens at the end of the Twilight series...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

I guess you never heard of what happens at the end of the Twilight series...

I haven't; indulge me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

Low blow. #ThingsConsistentWithHHHsCharacter

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Moose Bigelow posted:

What made it better/worse/better again for me was the story about how when they were filming him loving the corpse there was a funeral taking place in the next room.

This never would have happened at the Winston-McCauley Funeral Home.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Low blow. #ThingsConsistentWithHHHsCharacter

used the last of the toilet paper without replacing it #ThingsConsistentWithHHHsCharacter

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

I am not defending the angle, but I believe the segment merely depicted HHH fornicating with a mannequin while wearing a Kane mask, to poke fun at Kane's alleged necrophilia.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I haven't; indulge me.

Oh you know, blunt force vampire rape followed by a demon baby that dropkicks a teenager inside her stomach which eventually comes out nearly killing the mother and then a werewolf falls in love with said vampire baby.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lone Rogue posted:

Oh you know, blunt force vampire rape followed by a demon baby that dropkicks a teenager inside her stomach which eventually comes out nearly killing the mother and then a werewolf falls in love with said vampire baby.

You forgot the part where the father has to use his teeth to perform a c-section.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
cutting in line...any line #ThingsConsistentWithHHHsCharacter

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oatgan posted:

Kane makes sense if you think of him like 'Big Show' Stevie Richards from WWF No Mercy.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

bobkatt013 posted:

You forgot the part where the father has to use his teeth to perform a c-section.

Oh cool... thank you for this.

Minidust posted:

I am not defending the angle, but I believe the segment merely depicted HHH fornicating with a mannequin while wearing a Kane mask, to poke fun at Kane's alleged necrophilia.

I think you're correct, and this makes it somewhat less offensive, if no less stupid.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
On a somewhat related note, my girlfriend is a big Edge fan and one day I tried to explain the Live Sex Celebration thing (this was before her time as a fan). Not as embarrassing as the Kane thing of course, but sometimes you have to wonder why they can't just do some good old fashioned pro wrasslin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

On a somewhat related note, my girlfriend is a big Edge fan and one day I tried to explain the Live Sex Celebration thing (this was before her time as a fan). Not as embarrassing as the Kane thing of course, but sometimes you have to wonder why they can't just do some good old fashioned pro wrasslin.

Yuo mean one of the highest rated segments and lead to the rater r superstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

Not reading the Twilight series, that's for drat sure #ThingsConsistentWithHHHsCharacter