Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Redo the series with f/2 and f/4 receiving the same amount of light as the "underexposed" shot (right now it looks like exposure time of f/2 and f/4 was about the same) and I bet the milf sign will be more legible but with a bit of glow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Give me your recommendations for a camera backpack that can hold a canon 5d, a Pentax ME Super, their respective 50mm lenses and another small zoom for the canon. I’d need to carry minimal other stuff, some rolls of film, batteries for the canon, a couple filters, etc

I’d really like if it had a slot for my MacBook and also didn’t scream “HEY THERE ARE EXPENSIVE THINGS IN HERE” like so many camera bags do.

I really like the look and design of the Brevite Jumper but ultimately I don’t know if it’s big enough for the two bodies and 3 lenses.

https://a.co/d/ezCzVrQ

E: this probably should have gone in the gear thread but alas, I am not smart.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 16, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I would just get a camera cube and put it in the non-descript backpack of your choice. You'll end up with a better bag for the price, better protection and usage of bag volume, and it'll be exactly the size you need. I like the Think Tank cubes because they can double as a shoulder bag, but there are plenty of cheaper options too. I have an old Incase cube I've used in a regular backpack on many flights and it's always worked great.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/stash-master-photo-cubes

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I bought this manfrotto bag recently to carry my Bronica S2, 3 lenses, 2 filters, tripod, bellows, cable release and spot meter. if it's big enough for all of that it'll cover your needs.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I have a beginner question. Is the D3500 still a good entry level Nikon? I've got an elderly D3000 and I'd like to get something more modern and capable. Is there something else I should be looking at? I was thinking Nikon so I can use the couple of lenses I already have, but I'm open to other stuff. It's mostly going to be for taking picture of miniatures and things like that, along with like taking to the zoo or something.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Funzo posted:

I have a beginner question. Is the D3500 still a good entry level Nikon? I've got an elderly D3000 and I'd like to get something more modern and capable. Is there something else I should be looking at? I was thinking Nikon so I can use the couple of lenses I already have, but I'm open to other stuff. It's mostly going to be for taking picture of miniatures and things like that, along with like taking to the zoo or something.

Have you considered mirrorless? They're quite nice

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I wound up doing a combo of a camera cube and a different backpack. I wound up finding a Caden bag at my local goodwill, which is very similar to what I was looking for, but it didnt come with the camera cube it was supposed to have in it, so I managed to find one that was the exact correct size on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Ape-Case-Interior-Cameras-ACQB33/dp/B009GA6CS4

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

blue squares posted:

Have you considered mirrorless? They're quite nice

I don't know much about them. Any recommendations on where to start?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Funzo posted:

It's definitely a good entry-level body and would be a good jump from a D3000 in image quality. Mirrorless is worth considering, but you're not getting into a full kit for anywhere near the body upgrade, so I'd try the less expensive option first, especially given what sounds like light use. You're talking something more like $1000 rather than $300 to put a figure to it all.

This is also a really good case for shopping used. I've only ever purchased from https://www.mpb.com (just always been the cheapest for any given piece of gear I wanted). There are others though, like https://www.keh.com. These places also buy used equipment, so that could help make the upgrade a little cheaper too. I wouldn't expect a ton for a D3000, but you'll get some kind of offer I imagine.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 16, 2024

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

nitsuga posted:

It's definitely a good entry-level body and would be a good jump from a D3000 in image quality. Mirrorless is worth considering, but you're not getting into a full kit for anywhere near the body upgrade, so I'd try the less expensive option first, especially given what sounds like light use. You're talking something more like $1000 rather than $300 to put a figure to it all.

This is also a really good case for shopping used. I've only ever purchased from https://www.mpb.com (just always been the cheapest for any given piece of gear I wanted). There are others though, like https://www.keh.com. These places also buy used equipment, so that could help make the upgrade a little cheaper too. I wouldn't expect a ton for a D3000, but you'll get some kind of offer I imagine.

Don't forget fredmiranda's buy/sell forums. Probably the single best place to purchase obsessively documented camera equipment. I like Leica gear and it's easy to find the well-vetted users, and there's high expectations for stated condition matching actual condition in equipment.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
It's time for my yearly introspection of "I could just start my own photography business today"

I followed the pricing tiers my job currently follows, billing for Half Days and Full Days, 4 or 8 Hours respectively. But I added 1 hour and 2 hour tiers as well.

Then I pulled numbers out of my rear end. $150-300 for 1 Hour, $500-700 for 2 hours. up to $4000 for a whole day of shooting. But then i thought, who's gonna pay that?

I just realized it doesnt matter who's going to pay for that. I could either get the price I'm asking for, or I have to negotiate. If the price I want is accepted, then I might be too cheap. It's either that or they walk, which is fine too.

Did I psych myself into believing I could start a business? Did anyone else find a way to get people to pay you to futz with your camera like you know what you're doing?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Who makes high quality photoshop tutorials these days? I'm pretty new, and most of what i've found is surface level Ai bullshit.

Specifically, I'm looking to get better at isolating objects and cleaning up those selections.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Head Bee Guy posted:

Who makes high quality photoshop tutorials these days? I'm pretty new, and most of what i've found is surface level Ai bullshit.

Specifically, I'm looking to get better at isolating objects and cleaning up those selections.

PixImperfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaIuiMBbaB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek6ip2_GdYQ

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 17, 2024

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Great rec, seconding this. Unmesh is great at what he does

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

The Modern Sky posted:

It's time for my yearly introspection of "I could just start my own photography business today"

I followed the pricing tiers my job currently follows, billing for Half Days and Full Days, 4 or 8 Hours respectively. But I added 1 hour and 2 hour tiers as well.

Then I pulled numbers out of my rear end. $150-300 for 1 Hour, $500-700 for 2 hours. up to $4000 for a whole day of shooting. But then i thought, who's gonna pay that?

I just realized it doesnt matter who's going to pay for that. I could either get the price I'm asking for, or I have to negotiate. If the price I want is accepted, then I might be too cheap. It's either that or they walk, which is fine too.

Did I psych myself into believing I could start a business? Did anyone else find a way to get people to pay you to futz with your camera like you know what you're doing?

This is more or less how my wife's hair/makeup business started. She's licensed, which I don't think you need for photography, but it was a start. The question is "do I want to handle all the taxation paperwork and poo poo that goes with 'running a business' myself or not." Also I hope you like doing weddings and running a website and answering emails. Photographers do tend to be a pretty big chunk of most people's budget, if that helps.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Modern Sky posted:

What kind of photography? Hourly rate doesn't make sense for most kinds. The only thing I price hourly is corporate events.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I made what I guess is a photography hovel? I got tired of having all my camera/scanning/printing gear in 5 separate places around the house, and completely taking over the kitchen table for days at a time when scanning or printing, so when we replaced our countertops, I kept a couple and made my hovel. Its not pretty, but its got some cabinets to keep all my stuff in, and some space for scanning, editing and printing.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
If I have a shameful digital camera that doesn't do GPS, is there an app I can run on my android phone while I shoot that will save GPS data? And then when I import the photos it can tag them with rough coordinates based on timestamp. Or something like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, not sure if you're a lightroom user but it has that feature. If your android app can produce a GPX file you load it up in lightroom and have it automatically apply coordinates to images. This requires the clock on your camera to be accurate because it matches up timestamps between the image and the GPX log. You do all this in the 'Map' module.

I'm sure there's free tools out there that can update raw files but I've never used them so have no recommendations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
ah I use an app called komoot to track hikes and I think it can export the data like that. That would be nice as I wouldn't need a separate app.

But I haven't yet subscribed to lightroom so maybe I can find something else to do that bit.

And yeah, I know the accuracy will be limited since phone gps isn't the best and the timestamps aren't going to be exactly in sync but better than nothing is good enough for me.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Bottom Liner posted:

What kind of photography? Hourly rate doesn't make sense for most kinds. The only thing I price hourly is corporate events.

In my current field of construction documentation, these are somewhat close to what the company i work for is billing. There are other factors like insurance and certifications/training to consider tho, so the premiums begin to make sense.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
From one of the guys in the golf thread:

Shrapnig posted:

I'm sure this is more of a question for the camera/photography thread but can anyone recommend a quality digital camera to take to The Masters? I'm going Monday so cameras are allowed, etc.

I suppose I'm looking for two different types of recommendation. First, a cheap-ish camera where I'll be happy with the photos but I'm not going to agonize over throwing it in a closet and using it once a year or whatever. Second, a higher quality camera that'll take excellent pictures, but something that would be more of an entry into photography as a hobby seeing as I have a phone for the 364 days I'm not at The Masters. Budget, I have no idea. Under $1,000(?) for the "higher quality" option I suppose. I know that once you pick a brand you're essentially in an Apple-style universe where any lenses/attachments become mostly brand specific. Would used be a better option? If I were to go for the more expensive option and then realize I don't care about photography is there a decent resale market for stuff like this?

Any input is appreciated.

Edit: I was going to do the, "buy the best canon point and shoot" but is that the advice these days?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

other people posted:

ah I use an app called komoot to track hikes and I think it can export the data like that. That would be nice as I wouldn't need a separate app.

But I haven't yet subscribed to lightroom so maybe I can find something else to do that bit.

And yeah, I know the accuracy will be limited since phone gps isn't the best and the timestamps aren't going to be exactly in sync but better than nothing is good enough for me.

I think there are Python etc scripts that will do similar but put the GPS coords in the EXIF data.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

torgeaux posted:

Edit: I was going to do the, "buy the best canon point and shoot" but is that the advice these days?

I think it depends if guy wants good telephoto options but the Ricoh GR3 is pretty awesome imho. Also I know I sound like a shill but I can't afford the cameras I like new often (Leica) so I haunt the fredmiranda.com photo buy/sell forum and have never had an issue buying/selling thousands of dollars worth of cameras with strangers provided you do due diligence.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

One option might be to get something like a t8i kit (or build your own with used body and lenses, the newer 18-50's and maybe a 55-250 would be plenty good for a first dip into real camera territory) , then rent something fun like a 70-300L or 100-400L for shots of the golfers doing their thing.

You can sell anything, but I guess it's worth noting that the return might be higher for more modern/expensive kit than I've suggested here.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

any recs for a cheapish camera bag that will fit 2 bodies and an extra lens or 2? sling/over shoulder rather than backpack would be ideal.

E: way to store a small tripod or whatever would be great too

field balm fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 26, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Think Tank retrospective 7-ish (it has a variety of sizes to fit your specific needs). Looks nice without being too techy or screaming camera bag, has the great TT build quality. It doesn't have dedicated tripod straps on bottom, but it does have a zipper flap under the main bag flap so you can do the single tripod leg through there thing and have it sit on top of the main flap.

Speaking of, I swapped my Hex Ranger sling to a Think Tank Presspass 10 and it's incredible. Has both a shoulder/sling strap with multiple attachment points to dial in the angle it hangs and a built in belt system which is really handy for use in photopits at concerts where I'm swapping lenses across two bodies frequently. It also holds a frankly disgusting amount of gear in such a tiny bag. I have my R6, 50 1.2, 70-200 2.8, 35 1.8, and 16 2.8 all in that tiny bag.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 26, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

field balm posted:

any recs for a cheapish camera bag that will fit 2 bodies and an extra lens or 2? sling/over shoulder rather than backpack would be ideal.

E: way to store a small tripod or whatever would be great too

If you can estimate the size well/just bring all that stuff in, I've had a lot of luck just going to thrift stores for my various bags. You might get lucky at an army surplus place, too; there's a lot less actual military stuff there but what they do have is generally of good quality for not that much money.

This is a bit far afield perhaps, but does anybody have recommendations for gimbals for action cameras? I've gone through two (an INKEE Falcon Plus and a Feiyu Tech G6), and since neither of them really ever satisfied me, I'm thinking of leaving them at home when I leave the country in a few months and getting a new one instead. I mostly like using them to shoot long hyperlapses of walking around town/hiking somewhere, but both of them have had lots of issues staying level over a longer period of time; the Falcon would just shake and shutter randomly from time to time, and the G6's balance will just go all over the place in ways that aren't obvious until looking back at the footage. They are surprisingly pricy pieces of equipment, so I'm wary of how many I can try out and then return to Amazon.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’m pulling raws I took deep underwater off a GoPro that also has a red filter on it, so the shots are a strange blue/red/dark color right off the GoPro (intentional as to not just slam the blue sensor).

What Mac software should I use for color grading? I can do video with Final Cut Pro and all I need are some color wheels (e.g., red stands out in the blacks because of the filter and I need selective adjustment to account for it). I normally just make small adjustments in the photos app but I need more granularity here.

I have Affinity but it seems like it might be too weird of a workflow for 100-some shots.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get Lightroom and cancel it before the 14 day trial is up.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Are there any good resources on learning how to b/w? I love black and white photos and looking at photobooks and b/w photos that other people took but my own ones always suck (moreso than my colour photos, that is). I'm not sure where to start other than just shooting. But then the raw always has colour info anyway and more often than not, I find that my photo works better in colour.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Your camera probably has a profile or picture style for monochrome. It’ll still spit out a raw file with color data, but it can be really helpful to see the light and compose in B&W while shooting.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I've recently gotten an iPad to use for work and photos but it's my first Apple product ever so I'm not quite used to the ecosystem yet. Does anyone have any recommendations for good apps that allow RAW editing in the free version? I'm currently trying out Snapseed to use once my Lightroom trial expires and it works fine but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that I should be looking at.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I've recently gotten an iPad to use for work and photos but it's my first Apple product ever so I'm not quite used to the ecosystem yet. Does anyone have any recommendations for good apps that allow RAW editing in the free version? I'm currently trying out Snapseed to use once my Lightroom trial expires and it works fine but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that I should be looking at.

can't wait to see your work

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Peggotty posted:

Are there any good resources on learning how to b/w? I love black and white photos and looking at photobooks and b/w photos that other people took but my own ones always suck (moreso than my colour photos, that is). I'm not sure where to start other than just shooting. But then the raw always has colour info anyway and more often than not, I find that my photo works better in colour.

Just shoot more IMO and get your camera to output black and white. You're looking for different things when shooting black and white: contrast, texture, pattern and form. Places with strong light and shadow, or dappled light work really well. You can shoot at midday and be fine, you can't rely on contrasting colours to make your scene as they most likely won't show up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s a film thing, but I’ve used colored lights to create more separation when the footage goes to b/w.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Get Lightroom and cancel it before the 14 day trial is up.

Thought about it but I’m going to have more shots coming in as time goes on. Ended up trying Capture One since it’s a single buy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd read up on the capture one restrictions before buying into that.

Yeah it's available with a perpetual license feature for $300 but that's all you get, ever. No cameras added or feature enhancements, it's basically a subscription with a bigger interval. If that works for you great but just be real clear on what you're actually getting.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

If you’re talking about editing pictures you took with a camera (not the iPad’s), Photos should be able to import and edit RAWs. You need an adapter to get your card reader connected, but I think from there you’d be set.

You would want to consider the storage situation though. You can sync it to iCloud or keep it local only, but I think that would apply to all the pictures on the iPad. Might not be a big deal, but something to consider I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sorry, yes, I kinda forgot the iPad even had a camera.

I have the adapter and I'm trying a few things but I didn't realise Photos had that functionality as well so that's interesting.

My primary storage solution is still gonna be HDD/SSD so I'm just using the iPad for a little more convenience and visual fidelity over using my old laptop which tends to chug pretty bad.