Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Kalit posted:

In your opinion, is "shouting down and scaring off" not an intimidation tactic?

Totally an intimidation tactic. Doing so because someone's jewish is a hate crime. Doing it because they're an rear end in a top hat who supports a fascist apartheid state is not. Doing it near a jewish person is also not a hate crime. It's the *because* that matters.

Like... not OK to punch Richard Spencer in the head because he's a white guy. Totally ok to do so because he's a Nazi.

Basically this:

VitalSigns posted:

Sounded like he was saying that whether intimidating someone is good or bad depends on who they are and why you're doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Their stance isn’t we’ll accept the ‘67 borders with a permanent two state solution, it’s we’ll accept the ‘67 borders in exchange for a ten year truce as a proxy for recognizing Israel.

As Israel are the ones who always break the truces and cease-fires how is this different from a permanent settlement from the Palestinian perspective if it remains in place?

Neurolimal posted:

A ten-year truce is effectively permanent. The odds of the Palestinian side wanting to continue the conflict after ten years of respected peace with a contiguous state is very low if not zero.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Well those people probably can't work right now. And between that and the 300,000 soldiers called up I'm sure this is taking a pretty significant hit on their economy.

Couple that with Israel's credit downgrade and likely recession: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/10/19/israel-recession-likely-as-war-drags-on-economist-says.html

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

Hezbollah has explicitly been targeting border security; cameras, stationed merkava's, bases, soldiers, drones. If Gaza can target inner Israel then so could Hezbollah, but they're focused on deteriorating the border.

They know that their value is as deterrance to a threat of Gaza invasion, and the more threadbare the border gets the more feasible it will be to invade while the IDF are simulatenously getting rolled in Gaza and dealing with riots in the West Bank. Even if nothing comes of the mass protests across the middle east, the IDF is going to be stretched very thin.

They're not accustomed to invasion, but neither is the modern IDF really accustomed to ground combat in their own state, where airstrikes could be less enticing. Depends on how the situation goes.

I think you are massively overestimating the level of military power Hezbollah has available, and their capability to deter an invasion. To put it simply, soon with two carriers available, US air power will be able to turn any Hezbollah invasion into mincemeat in short order, liberating most of IDF to concentrate on Gaza. As for West Bank, there is a reason they armed militias and evacuated 200k people.

Israeli disposition right now appears very clearly designed to be able to do a major ground offensive into Gaza, and no-one with any actual power to stop it seems to be interested to.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Why are they uh….gendering a settler apartheid colonial state?

https://twitter.com/amyschumer/status/1717327976218399177

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

The article repeatedly says both 'jewish' and 'pro israel' and while it's a literal hate crime to intimidate people because they're jewish it seems perfectly reasonable to shout down and scare off pro-israel people, so I'm curious what the real story is. lovely reporting.

CBS article

quote:

There were tense moments at the campus of Cooper Union in Manhattan on Wednesday afternoon.

Students who are pro-Israel say they felt unsafe as pro-Palestinian demonstrators banged and chanted outside the library they were studying in. They tell CBS New York's Lisa Rozner school staff locked them in the library due to safety concerns.

Police say there were no injuries, arrests or property damage, and that this was a planned demonstration. The NYPD is reviewing surveillance video.

quote:

Off camera, several pro-Palestinian students told CBS New York they planned to protest throughout the entire school and did not target or threaten the Jewish students in the library.

Students representing the pro-Palestinian rally sent CBS New York a statement that read in part:

"We, students of Cooper Union, planned a peaceful protest to demand our institutions acknowledgement of the Israeli apartheid. This was in response to the school's one-sided stance and participation in the occupation of Palestine. We planned to peacefully protest outside the building before walking in and continuing our protest outside the president's office. We concluded our protest by calling out our demands through the hallways of the entire foundation building. When we reached the library, we were told that it was closed so we continued chanting outside the glass window of the library. Many different students of all backgrounds were in the library at the time. We would like to make it clear that our protest was not targeting any individual students or faculty, but the institution itself. We would like to reiterate that we DO NOT under any circumstance condone antisemitism and many members of the protest were Jewish."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/news/cooper-union-pro-palestinian-rally-jewish-students-library/

Peace protest tried to get to the President's office got rerouted and held a rally outside the bldg. Some kids in the library in the library overreacted.

This is just yet another attempt by Mister Fister posting sensationalist articles to create an image of something that does not exist.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BUUNNI posted:

And she turned off comments like the coward she is

quote:

This is just yet another attempt by Mister Fister posting sensationalist articles to create an image of something that does not exist.

Literally everything Mister Fister says is just some ridiculous article they've usually taken out of context completely, or just speculation about how unsafe Jewish people must feel (while Gazans die by the hundreds at least per day, and the US pledges support for genocide and people get fired for speaking out against the genocide, and a kid in Illinois got stabbed 26 time for being Palestinian descent). Kind of old.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 26, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Tuna-Fish posted:

I think you are massively overestimating the level of military power Hezbollah has available, and their capability to deter an invasion. To put it simply, soon with two carriers available, US air power will be able to turn any Hezbollah invasion into mincemeat in short order, liberating most of IDF to concentrate on Gaza. As for West Bank, there is a reason they armed militias and evacuated 200k people.

Israeli disposition right now appears very clearly designed to be able to do a major ground offensive into Gaza, and no-one with any actual power to stop it seems to be interested to.

the IDF doesn't need the US to destroy a large-scale conventional Hezbollah offensive

which is why there's not going to be one

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Tuna-Fish posted:

Just because the carriers are present doesn't mean they are ready to deploy force in an organized and effective way at a moment's notice. In a lot of ways, this is the same framing as "Israel has the Iron Dome and an overwhelming advantage in the weapons available to them" on October 1st.

I think it's reasonable to say that Israel isn't going to be existentially threatened by any of this, but it CAN be destabilized, and the initial attacks out of Gaza were largely only possible because the IDF was more worried about the West Bank - it's easy to see a way that shifting attention to the combination of Gaza and the West Bank makes their other borders weaker.

People in the thread have already been talking about how their economic engine is being disrupted by the formation of those militias - how many weeks or months will they be able to keep that level of posture going? If things start going poorly for the IDF in the south, don't you think resources (particularly attention and planning resources from whoever is at the center) will start to be shifted away from the North? And separate from all of that, the long-displaced Palestinians in Egypt and such might be a wild card - being so indiscriminate about civilian casualties in Gaza has a real chance of pissing off enough Palestinian diaspora that new threats emerge either politically or militarily (not necessarily from any of the governments, but from a Hamas In Egypt kind of movement)

Again, Israel has weathered multi-front wars on previous occasions, so it's not likely that they would lose on the ground, but when you consider what the typical quality of life for Israel is compared to Lebanon or Gaza it is easy to see how the public will for such a thing may not last for long - this isn't like the US sending people to die and kill off-screen on another continent, daily life is completely disrupted for like 10-15% of the population every day that this "high alert" goes on, and that is much harder to maintain now than it was pre-internet and pre-globalism. The last time Israel had to deal with a multi-front war was the 1970s, there's really no reason to believe that all the people born since that time are ready or willing to deal with that sort of thing.

If nothing else, I'm sure some people will leave Israel and not come back, and people who were considering coming to Israel will change their minds. No one in the US or Europe has to seriously worry about the draft - that is not true in Israel, and that is a very good reason for people working for multinationals or with highly transferrable skills to consider relocation now.

The idea that one nation could be an island of Western wealth concentration and capitalistic excess while surrounded on all sides by people who derive no benefits from it always seemed pretty tenuous to me - even if this current crisis resolves in Israel's favor I don't really think there will ever be a point where Israelis will be able to have real security without doing something to make things less miserable for their neighbors, and while Bibi had a surprisingly long streak I don't think the right wing for Israeli politics will be able to keep riding the tiger like that for another 20 years

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hezbollah is not going to invade. But if they fired all they had at Israel they migth do signicant damage. And missiles can sink ships...
The problem IDF is having with preventing raids from Gaza is also a indication that they could have massive problems from Hezbollah.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Hamas' most grandiose goals (conquering the country of Israel and doing horrible things to all the Jews living there) are so many light years beyond their capability that it's a poor excuse to avoid doing the right thing (freeing Palestine).

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BUUNNI posted:

It is fairly common (but still weird imo) to gender nations and watercraft.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that a ground invasion of Gaza with the goal of permanently shrinking Palestinian territory is going to be a gruelling enough endeavour that Hezbollah has a decent shot at making it militarily nonviable for the IDF by piling on enough pressure to Israel's north and forcing them to split their forces. That's all they really need to do to claim strategic victory.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'd say it's fairly common to refer to motherland/fatherland, but to refer to a warring country as 'she' seems very odd and a bit disturbing. Also,

quote:

and provide ample funds to protect innocent civilians in Gaza

I guess they're going to use those protective bombs I've heard so much about.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

TheRat posted:

I'd say it's fairly common to refer to motherland/fatherland, but to refer to a warring country as 'she' seems very odd and a bit disturbing. Also,

I can think of a number of instances in pop culture, from God Bless America to Ocelot talking about Russia in MGS2. Seems something that's dumb and old and should go away but I'll bet Amy Schumer isn't the only person who refers to countries this way

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TheRat posted:

I guess they're going to use those protective bombs I've heard so much about.

Only way I could see the massive discrepancy in aid, on top of funding a country almost exclusively targeting civilians at this point, as adequate, would be if every dollar of the Palestine funds were used to provide anti-air.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Neurolimal posted:

Only way I could see the massive discrepancy in aid, on top of funding a country almost exclusively targeting civilians at this point, as adequate, would be if every dollar of the Palestine funds were used to provide anti-air.

No doubt we'll see a RUSI report about the importance of getting air defenses to Palestinians any day now

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ograbme posted:

Hamas' most grandiose goals (conquering the country of Israel and doing horrible things to all the Jews living there) are so many light years beyond their capability that it's a poor excuse to avoid doing the right thing (freeing Palestine).

Doesn't Taiwan still claim to rule all of mainland China.

What a government says its maximal goals are, especially for internal political/propaganda reasons, and what it would actually be willing to accept in peace negotiations are two different things. A bunch of countries have territorial claims on others, it doesn't mean they can't be negotiated with or observe cease fires.

South Korea and North Korea. The UK and Argentina. Croatia and Serbia. The UK and Spain. Taiwan and all the countries that the People's Republic of China relinquished its claims on. Denmark and Canada (before 2022). Etc.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 26, 2023

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 5, 2023

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Rigel posted:

It is fairly common (but still weird imo) to gender nations and watercraft.

I mean... Uncle Sam. And Columbia.

e: Everybody forgets about poor Columbia. Uncle Sam is younger than her as a national symbol by almost a hundred years, depending on where exactly you draw the line.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 26, 2023

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Doesn't Taiwan still claim to rule all of mainland China.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China_Marine_Corps

quote:

Emblem of the Republic of China Marine Corps with the map of ROC claimed lands of mainland China, Outer Mongolia, Tibet and Russia.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Ograbme posted:

Even the original, much more extreme 1988 Hamas charter states in Article 31:

quote:

Article 31 Describes Hamas as "a humanistic movement", which "takes care of human rights and is guided by Islamic tolerance when dealing with the followers of other religions". "Under the wing of Islam", it is possible for Islam, Christianity and Judaism "to coexist in peace and quiet with each other" provided that members of other religions do not dispute the sovereignty of Islam in the region.

Whereas the updated charter in 2017 where they back off quite a few Islamist goals and distance themselves from the Muslim Brotherhood states:

quote:

Hamas affirms that its conflict is with the Zionist project not with the Jews because of their religion. Hamas does not wage a struggle against the Jews because they are Jewish but wages a struggle against the Zionists who occupy Palestine. Yet, it is the Zionists who constantly identify Judaism and the Jews with their own colonial project and illegal entity. Hamas rejects the persecution of any human being or the undermining of his or her rights on nationalist, religious or sectarian grounds. Hamas is of the view that the Jewish problem, anti-Semitism and the persecution of the Jews are phenomena fundamentally linked to European history and not to the history of the Arabs and the Muslims or to their heritage

Unfortunately, you can not visit the Hamas site to pull the document in the US, but it was published here if anyone has access to journals.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/epdf/10.1525/jps.2017.46.4.100?needAccess=true

In fact, in 2017 Hamas even accepted the 1967 borders as transitional

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/5/2/hamas-accepts-palestinian-state-with-1967-borders

mannerup posted:

if ethnic cleansing is actually their most grandiose goal, probably not a good thing to let them make progress towards that imo

This is not their goal.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 26, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mannerup posted:

if ethnic cleansing is actually their most grandiose goal, probably not a good thing to let them make progress towards that imo

I agree that we shouldn't let Hamas conquer Israel.

However, we should advocate for the creation of a free and independent sovereign Palestine, which would not in any way be a step toward ethnically cleansing Israel (unless Israel uses it as an excuse to start mass-deporting Palestinians with Israeli residency or even citizenship).

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 5, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It's not a great sign when the only power that can reign in Israel at all straight up doesn't believe the number of Palestinians killed:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/biden-says-he-has-no-confidence-palestinian-death-count-2023-10-26/?utm_source=reddit.com

quote:

Biden says he has 'no confidence' in Palestinian death count

WASHINGTON, Oct 25 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden said on Wednesday he has "no confidence in the number that the Palestinians are using" for the death toll in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, where the health ministry says over 6,500 have been killed in Israeli attacks.

Biden was asked at a White House press conference whether the death count, which the ministry says includes some 2,700 children, meant Israel was ignoring U.S. appeals to reduce civilian deaths in its bombardment of the coastal enclave.

"What they say to me is I have no notion that the Palestinians are telling the truth about how many people are killed. I'm sure innocents have been killed, and it’s the price of waging a war," Biden said.

"(The) Israelis should be incredibly careful to be sure that they're focusing on going after the folks that (are) propagating this war against Israel. And it's against their interest when that doesn't happen," Biden added.

"But I have no confidence in the number that the Palestinians are using."

Biden did not say why he was skeptical of the Palestinian figures.

Reuters has been unable to independently verify casualty figures in the fighting, which began with an Oct. 7 Hamas gun rampage in southern Israel that Israeli authorities say killed 1,400 people.

Palestinians reject the notion that the Gaza death count is inaccurate.

In the U.S., the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said it was "deeply disturbed" by Biden's comments on the Gaza figures, and called on the president to apologize.

"Journalists have confirmed the high number of casualties, and countless videos coming out of Gaza every day show mangled bodies of Palestinian women and children," CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad said in a statement.

During Wednesday's press conference, Biden said that Hamas was "hiding behind Palestinian civilians" in the densely-populated enclave, putting "an added burden on Israel while they go after Hamas."

Biden added: "Israel has to do everything in its power, as difficult as it is, to protect innocent civilians."

(This story has been refiled to add a dropped word in Biden's quote in paragraph 1)

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

mannerup posted:

Hamas should be dealt with RIGHT after the occupation ends, or when the power differential shifts and Hamas gains the upper hand in personnel and equipment.

Anything else just takes attention off of the primary problem right now... that being the current ethnic cleansing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hamas is the only government in the region that has successfully made progress against ethnic cleansing, as far as I'm aware.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I have no confidence in the figure either.

It's based on confirmed deaths that this particular person is dead.

You look at pictures of whole neighborhoods reduced to nothing, there are probably a lot more people dead under the rubble, who won't soon (if ever) get taken to a morgue or hospital to be added to the death count

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

It's not a great sign when the only power that can reign in Israel at all straight up doesn't believe the number of Palestinians killed:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/biden-says-he-has-no-confidence-palestinian-death-count-2023-10-26/?utm_source=reddit.com
With the IDF announcing dozens/scores/hundreds of strikes every day against 'targets' in a densely populated urban area, and assuming that any radar stations, armoured trains, blimps, etc., used by Hamas were all taken out on day one, it'd be extraordinary if there wasn't a huge civilian death toll.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah Gaza MoH is considered reliable to most aid organizations

Buuuuut the US is aiding in an engaging in genocide denial now, cool

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SuperTeeJay posted:

With the IDF announcing dozens/scores/hundreds of strikes every day against 'targets' in a densely populated urban area, and assuming that any radar stations, armoured trains, blimps, etc., used by Hamas were all taken out on day one, it'd be extraordinary if there wasn't a huge civilian death toll.

I don't believe it has been lower than hundreds and has gone as high as 4 figures of strikes a day.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Has Israel ever even questioned the death toll? Isn't their MO just to be like "yes, but they were standing near Hamas". outright denial seems particularly despicable.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's for Biden's benefit, not Israel's. His approvals are taking a hit because it turns out that doing a genocide is not as popular with his actual voters as they assumed.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

mannerup posted:

If Hamas' vowed to kill the moon, it's ok to allow Palestinians to have mountains even tough that brings Hamas closer to the moon.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm sure that taking out Hamas will be inconvenient for Israel. They will suffer casualties, their diplomatic standing will be damaged and their economy will take a hit (although the US is likely to have them covered there). This would explain why they have never launched a full-scale invasion of Gaza before.

However, I really do not think that any of those costs are remotely high enough to deter Israel at this point. Within the country Hamas' attack is widely seen as an attempted second Holocaust. I do not think there is any cost that's high enough to convince the Israeli public or politicians that they can tolerate the architects of that massacre continuing to rule the Gaza strip (or indeed, continuing to be alive). And even if Hamas inflicts a heavy price on the IDF I do not think there is any credible scenario where they defeat the 360,000 soldiers Israel has gathered, nor any chance that other nations decide to directly intervene against the nuclear-armed state which has the full backing of the United States. Hamas cannot be saved, and frankly does not deserve saving.

I think the best case scenario (which to be clear, still massively sucks) would be Israel being convinced/pressured into a plan that removes Hamas from power and takes out their leadership, but which allows civilians to flee - a ceasefire combined with a genuine opportunity for Gazans to evacuate to somewhere, rather than just being vaguely told to avoid half of the strip with no instruction of where to go or what route to take. This would still be an absolutely horrible outcome that could result in permanent displacement but it's still better than the current trajectory of the war, which is tens or hundreds of thousands of Gazan casualties.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

I have no confidence in the figure either.

It's based on confirmed deaths that this particular person is dead.

You look at pictures of whole neighborhoods reduced to nothing, there are probably a lot more people dead under the rubble, who won't soon (if ever) get taken to a morgue or hospital to be added to the death count

This is the craziest thing about Biden or anyone else questioning the totals - it is absolutely an undercount.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the best case scenario (which to be clear, still massively sucks) would be Israel being convinced/pressured into a plan that removes Hamas from power and takes out their leadership, but which allows civilians to flee - a ceasefire combined with a genuine opportunity for Gazans to evacuate to somewhere, rather than just being vaguely told to avoid half of the strip with no instruction of where to go or what route to take. This would still be an absolutely horrible outcome that could result in permanent displacement but it's still better than the current trajectory of the war, which is tens or hundreds of thousands of Gazan casualties.

Where.

Israel will not destroy Hamas they will not eliminate its leadership this will not occur. This is a fantasy.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

even if you kill every single hamas member, you're just gonna end up with the same issue in a couple years, so long as Gazans continue to live in these conditions

it really feels like some people have learned nothing from the war on terror and just wanna keep making the same mistakes

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Hamas' political leadership is in Qatar, so it is impossible to take out the leadership by invading Gaza.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That is true - I assume Israel has some kind of Nazi-style long-term assassination program planned for them. But there are certainly military commanders who helped plan and organise the attack within Gaza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Kinda tangentally related but whatever actually happened with that Mossad and Italian boat thing? Was it Italian, I forget.