Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Really they should have had one remaining elf hang around and be the outsider character, kinda like Spock :shrug: instead of spending all that CGI budget on dumbass dragons.

Also I'd like to add that the awful app is truly something awful, can't even edit or quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Colonel Cancer posted:

Really they should have had one remaining elf hang around and be the outsider character, kinda like Spock :shrug: instead of spending all that CGI budget on dumbass dragons.

Also I'd like to add that the awful app is truly something awful, can't even edit or quote

There's three dots by every post

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Arya teleport complaint is dumb

Melisandre pretty much told her "hey you gotta kill the night king." she already knew where he was going to be. she's a stealthy assassin. she grew up in the fuckin castle

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

dudeness posted:

Y'know the more I think about it the reason Bran had to win is because he is the only one that had any real connection with the Children of the Forest. All the other rulers are fighting over their rule as invaders but he's the only one that has even spoken to the indigenous population.

Bran had to win because he was the only character who could have possibly become even more irrelevant by it, and why stop making GBS threads all over your own show the last minute?

It was actually a step down from whatever conclusion you imagined for an omniscient wizard.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

hawowanlawow posted:

The Arya teleport complaint is dumb

Melisandre pretty much told her "hey you gotta kill the night king." she already knew where he was going to be. she's a stealthy assassin. she grew up in the fuckin castle

If all you gotta do to kill the night king and vaporize his army is jump at him and stab him then why did the people in the past go to the effort of building a ludicrous ice wall and setting up an entire society of people to watch over it from terrible fear of him
She didn't use any magic or anything even. Anyone could have done that. Hell, you could just hire one of the fuckin assassins to do it for you even if "stealthy" is all you need, they didn't even seem that expensive

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CountryMatters posted:

If all you gotta do to kill the night king and vaporize his army is jump at him and stab him then why did the people in the past go to the effort of building a ludicrous ice wall and setting up an entire society of people to watch over it from terrible fear of him
She didn't use any magic or anything even. Anyone could have done that. Hell, you could just hire one of the fuckin assassins to do it for you even if "stealthy" is all you need, they didn't even seem that expensive

I don't see how any of this has to do with teleporting, just poo poo writing

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

CountryMatters posted:

I mean, they also set up an elaborate bait for him to murder his nemesis and let him get distracted by coming within an inch of his goal.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Also she literally had to teleport, there were hundreds of zombies surrounding Bran, like where the gently caress could have she jump in from?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BioMe posted:

Bran had to win because he was the only character who could have possibly become even more irrelevant by it, and why stop making GBS threads all over your own show the last minute?

It was actually a step down from whatever conclusion you imagined for an omniscient wizard.

I mean, on reflection, I actually think that Bran winning is actually broad strokes the GRRM ending, just filtered through D&D cocking it up, because I believe he actually has the most legitimate claim to the throne if you follow the line of succession.

Like Tyrion's 'people love a story' is D&D desperately trying to get to and justify the endpoint that GRRM wrote out for them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BioMe posted:

there were hundreds of zombies surrounding Bran

no there wasn't

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BioMe posted:

Also she literally had to teleport, there were hundreds of zombies surrounding Bran, like where the gently caress could have she jump in from?

Maybe she did the Shaun of the Dead shamble and they figured she was just another wight. :v:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

no there wasn't

Ok good job watching an entirely different show from the rest of us, you are surely better off for it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe she just turned into a tree, ever think about that? Trees have faces too!

Also this whole succession business is ridiculous given the situation where almost every house with real claim is wiped out completely or reduced to the point where they can't back any claim. Robert had the right idea, just use the force.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BioMe posted:

Ok good job watching an entirely different show from the rest of us, you are surely better off for it

Maybe he just cranked up the exposure on his tv and could see the rest of the zombies.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BioMe posted:

if there were still hundreds of zombies in the godswood they could have just swarmed theon and killed him

the godswood was not the focus of the battle, that's why theon and like five guys held off the wights that showed up. That's the whole point of setting the trap there

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 22, 2019

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

if there were still hundreds of zombies in the godswood they could have just swarmed theon and killed him

Yes the action was incredibly inconsistent and contrived in those scenes, we all noticed

EDIT: Again, I don't know how you are even arguing this since there were super clear shots of the godswood being completely swarmed by the time Arya got there. The only reason they didn't just attack and win is because NK had to get the kill personally for whatever stupid reason

BioMe fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 22, 2019

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maybe she just turned into a tree, ever think about that? Trees have faces too!

Also this whole succession business is ridiculous given the situation where almost every house with real claim is wiped out completely or reduced to the point where they can't back any claim. Robert had the right idea, just use the force.

Not even Robert used the force only, he had a (possibly manufactured by John Arryn) claim to the throne via Targaryen blood, which is a large part of the issue, really.

EDIT: A good question is 'why does anyone actually care', tho.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 22, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't know why everyone is bitching, but after the greyjoys all die you can see a shitzillion white walkers standing in a circle around the weirwood tree, plus the officer dudes and the NK.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

but after the greyjoys all die you can see a shitzillion white walkers standing in a circle around the weirwood tree

orly

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Maybe he has just completely disassociated the action on the screen from the plot that's happening. Which fair enough is perfectly valid considering the editing of that episode showed all the characters dying at least once only for them to be fine the next scene.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

*sees thousands of men, women and children melt in a vision*
Why do you think I've been coming this whole way?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

God drat that season sucked

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

A giant should have stepped on some more people.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Yeah. Here's a shot right as Theon is charging at the NK where you can see them in the light.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Torchlighter posted:

EDIT: A good question is 'why does anyone actually care', tho.

Because if you acknowledge that there is no actual value to nobility in of itself (the Europeans called it the divine right to rule) then the entire feudal ideology falls apart and your peasants are thinking "why the gently caress does this jackass get to be the lord" and then kill you in order to declare an autonomous collective (:v:).

Or put another way, they care because nobles are obsessed with their own claims/lines/houses.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I was rewatching lord of the rings on Monday and ents totally stomp on some orcs. If you are starved for giant stomping content maybe go watch Two Towers again.

Also 3 dots do nothing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Yeah. Here's a shot right as Theon is charging at the NK where you can see them in the light.

Ah. Well. Nevertheless,

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Colonel Cancer posted:

Also 3 dots do nothing.

You must have one of those dingleberry phones that don't work with it.

There's a thread in SH/SC for the awful app that'll resolve your problems.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The populist angle could have worked imo.

I really liked the whole storyline with the pope militarizing the poo poo out of people and he was clearly a popular guy. I don't think blowing him up would wipe out the whole religious movement, if anything it could be taken over by a less religiously pure and more ambitious type.

So as the gang are standing around the throne musing about dumb poo poo they just get surrounded by a bajillion sooty peasants with farm implements who proceed to crucify everyone and create a theocracy.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Ah, can't you see me runnin' here
You got your back against an army, deceased
I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't you see what I mean?

Ah, might as well jump

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Because if you acknowledge that there is no actual value to nobility in of itself (the Europeans called it the divine right to rule) then the entire feudal ideology falls apart and your peasants are thinking "why the gently caress does this jackass get to be the lord" and then kill you in order to declare an autonomous collective (:v:).

Or put another way, they care because nobles are obsessed with their own claims/lines/houses.

Feudalism wasn't an ideology, and especially not a coherent or uniform ideology in any way or sense, it's a term we use to describe the common points of some medieval societies. Also, divine right wasn't very important in the high middle ages. The king as a sacred figured, who stood between the nobility and the clergy, was important in the early middle ages but had largely fallen away by the 11th century as the nobility had advanced their own privileges vis-a-vis kings and the church had grown as an organization that was becoming more capable of independent action. Divine right kind of makes a return in the late middle ages and early modern period as kings and states had advanced tremendously, but this didn't really have anything to do with feudalism.

The only actual ideology Medieval Europe had was Christianity and a general belief in that society, ideally, was composed of orders which existed in harmony with each other. Those who fight (the nobles), those who pray (the clergy) and those who labor (the peasantry). Except with the last one everyone knew it wasn't really how things worked, especially the harmony part, and then there was the difficulty of fitting in cities and wealthy burghers into this whole "model", and what role the king should have in all this. A couple of events in medieval history kind of proved that a king wasn't always strictly necessary (or at least was not desired by the nobility) such as long interregnums in Germany and Denmark, which essentially occured because the nobility simply couldn't be bothered to choose a new king and many kind of preferred not having to deal with one.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I just figured that the White Walker's magic or whatever was constrained by the Gods Wood. I mean, the Children made the Night King with their magic, it's possibly that one of their places of worship might have adverse effects on his clairvoyance or whatever.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i dont get why people are making up reasons for anything happening at this point

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

I just figured that the White Walker's magic or whatever was constrained by the Gods Wood. I mean, the Children made the Night King with their magic, it's possibly that one of their places of worship might have adverse effects on his clairvoyance or whatever.

So he became a moron?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
I'm assuming if you've been waiting like 10,000 years to kill a guy, you want to do it face to face instead of having your army of skeleton/zombie warriors do it, and maybe savor it a bit. He gave a smug smile when he was immune to dragon flame so he has some level of emotions in the show.

If he had the level of control over his zombies that he has been shown to have though, why not just have your army of fodder/zombies pick the fucker up and bring him to you instead of exposing yourself to the one thing that's capable of killing you (especially since he had to have noticed the dragonstone arrows)?

Answer is, as always, bad writing poop poop fart poop.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ardent Communist posted:

It's just bad writing, hth

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Why are targs immune to fire anyways? What's so special about them? Do Starks get resistance to cold 5?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

Kind of makes NK an even bigger idiot for walking straight under a godstree though

And you know, if that was the case it would have been pretty easy to show it happen by making the zombies fall apart as they got too close or something, instead of NK still being clairvoyant and sensing Arya teleporting behind him

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

Feudalism wasn't an ideology, and especially not a coherent or uniform ideology in any way or sense, it's a term we use to describe the common points of some medieval societies. Also, divine right wasn't very important in the high middle ages. The king as a sacred figured, who stood between the nobility and the clergy, was important in the early middle ages but had largely fallen away by the 11th century as the nobility had advanced their own privileges vis-a-vis kings and the church had grown as an organization that was becoming more capable of independent action. Divine right kind of makes a return in the late middle ages and early modern period as kings and states had advanced tremendously, but this didn't really have anything to do with feudalism.

The only actual ideology Medieval Europe had was Christianity and a general belief in that society, ideally, was composed of orders which existed in harmony with each other. Those who fight (the nobles), those who pray (the clergy) and those who labor (the peasantry). Except with the last one everyone knew it wasn't really how things worked, especially the harmony part, and then there was the difficulty of fitting in cities and wealthy burghers into this whole "model", and what role the king should have in all this. A couple of events in medieval history kind of proved that a king wasn't always strictly necessary (or at least was not desired by the nobility) such as long interregnums in Germany and Denmark, which essentially occured because the nobility simply couldn't be bothered to choose a new king and many kind of preferred not having to deal with one.

I mean I was being a bit reductionist hence the Monty Python joke but I don't really see how you're gonna say that a) christianity was not intertwined with feudal thought/ideology, and b) that Divine Right to Rule has nothing to do with said order which keeps everything harmonious?

quote:

A couple of events in medieval history kind of proved that a king wasn't always strictly necessary (or at least was not desired by the nobility) such as long interregnums in Germany and Denmark, which essentially occured because the nobility simply couldn't be bothered to choose a new king and many kind of preferred not having to deal with one.

And yeah but I don't think you're going to find many instances of nobility in Europe saying "you know, this pedigree and lineage stuff is all a bunch of horseshit isn't it let's just do whatever?"

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hey now holy places having some kind of a detrimental effect on dark forces would be too predictable! You gotta subvert the expectations.