Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Rythian posted:

I know, I know, writing for television is not the same as writing for TV, but still.

I think a lot of that has to do with number of episodes to content to cover. I kind of disliked GoT for most of its run but they got first few seasons right, maybe because GRRM got them right.

On screen what we got was a lot of character building and world building. And people enjoyed that. There is no reason in the world not to give WoT that space but they didn't. You give them more episodes where they are on the road, being themselves and maybe someone gives a poo poo about them by the final episode.

I think the 3 things they need are, someone who can write dialogue (desperatly), someone with a sense of proportion who knows the later story beats and just more episodes to let the characters breath.

The positive is I think all the actors (interested to see the Matt replacement) are good. They all hit the notes they should when on screen. You can make fun of pegwene for good reason but she's an egomaniac and he's a huge man who desperately wants to be kind, fairly spot on.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Goofballs posted:

On screen what we got was a lot of character building and world building. And people enjoyed that. There is no reason in the world not to give WoT that space but they didn't. You give them more episodes where they are on the road, being themselves and maybe someone gives a poo poo about them by the final episode.

Ummm, how dare you malign Dear Father Bezos's algorithm that informed him that 8 episodes was the sweet spot for the budget:retention ratio!

Seriously, though...they needed at least two more episodes. I'm enjoying the show, but GoT S1 did a much better job of setting the stage and it's primarily because they had more time to do it in. Two more hours would have done this show a world of good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Wonder if Ishowmael will make it to the end of the series or get recast with a hot brooding philosophy grad student

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Data Graham posted:

I'm also rereading, and one thing that's fun though is that now I'm picturing the show actors for all the characters, and it works pretty drat well.

Withholding judgement on Perrin until we see the actor with a full beard.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Ishy should've been Navid Negahban

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Wonder if Ishowmael will make it to the end of the series or get recast with a hot brooding philosophy grad student

Good question. If they're looking to streamline/simplify and avoid confusion, not recasting would make sense, especially since he already seems more like Moridin than Ba'alzamon. On the other hand, recasting is cheaper, and lets them have the identity of Moridin be kind of mysterious (even if it's not super hard to figure out, as it was pretty obvious in the books too). Plus having him younger in the endgame would work better for him being Rand's counterpart.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

my non book reading ex who likes the worst loving television imaginable hated this, didn't know what was going on, and thinks less of me for enjoying the books

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's a fair amount of stuff in the show about Nynaeve being born outside the Two Rivers (or having parents who are from other lands, one of those), being adopted, etc. Feels like there was a way to similarly layer in that sort of information with Rand - and I think they did try with the hangedAielman that Mat and Thom cut down - without it being a dead giveaway.

Also seconding that Ishamael rules, I love the portrayal here that really highlights how much the Forsaken think everyone in the 3rd age are primitives and rubes.

In some regards they've been really good at this kind of thing - Fain being in the background of a lot of scenes without it being blatant was excellent, for example.

In others, well.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I can't wait for season 8 or season 10 or however the hell long this goes and every book-reader complaining about changes are still around and still whining and still watching.

(compare GoT book readers, whose primary emotion wasn't disappointment so much as schadenfreude)

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I don't really like the "who is the Dragon Reborn!?" mystery, but I do think it's a relatively decent way to give other characters more moments to shine in a book that is almost entirely Rand-centric.

I really, really wish they had done something with Perrin to make the wife they invented and fridged not... only that, though. Like maybe they're gonna pay it off with the Faile stuff but she's literally over a book away at this point and if all we get out of it until then is a love triangle that's a problem.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mazed posted:

I can't wait for season 8 or season 10 or however the hell long this goes and every book-reader complaining about changes are still around and still whining and still watching.

(compare GoT book readers, whose primary emotion wasn't disappointment so much as schadenfreude)

If they gently caress up Falme I'm pretty sure I'm out. I thought this season went to poo poo at the end, and that the showrunner seems overly willing to change things just to change things, but there were definitely some cool parts along the way. And admittedly the first book's ending is pretty loving weird and doesn't fit super well with the rest of the series, so I'm not totally opposed to some of the changes there even if I think some of the specific decisions are bad or inexplicable. Falme flat out owns though, and a second season is more than enough time to see if they're interested in regaining readers' trust or if they flat out don't give a poo poo about that. I don't think targeting the super-nerds above all else is the right way to make an adaptation, but I do think being indifferent to alienating them is bad, and that most of the better received adaptations over the last decade or two seem to care about what the pre-existing fans will think.

As for Game of Thrones, I think the difference is that pretty much everyone loved the seasons that covered book material, and even liked some of the stuff showing where the series is headed if GRRM ever puts out another book, but the show's fall off a cliff at the end kind of seems appropriate for a book series that most fans think also declined over time, and which nobody really expects to ever see the end of at this point. I think that series was obviously a much easier adaptation in a lot of ways, aside from the drawback of being unfinished, so I'm not surprised that this season was rougher, but I also think D&D having the humility not to think they knew better than GRRM for the most part helped a lot too.

I don't think Brandon Sanderson's word is totally definitive when it comes to the earlier books, or that everything he might suggest would work for tv even if it were, but as a co-creator of the series who's willing to provide suggestions, I definitely think they should have prioritized his feedback more than they did. His proposed way to handle Nynaeve/Egwene in the finale (they intervene in the battle more directly, gaining agency, but their lack of training becomes a significant enough problem in some way that it makes them both determined to return to the White Tower) makes a lot more sense to me than what we saw, even if it's also not what happened in the books. Tbf the production problems led to them making episodes 7 and 8 without getting any input at all from him, and I don't know if that was because his own avaiability was limited or what, but I think it's an asset they should draw on more heavily in the future.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sinteres posted:

regaining readers' trust

they've still got mine :shrug:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sinteres posted:

showrunner seems overly willing to change things just to change things

Just because you can't understand a change doesn't mean it's "just to change things". Thinking that they're just sitting around a table going "you know what, make the long bows short. Because i jUsT WaNt cHaAaAaAnGe" is just weird.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Because i jUsT WaNt cHaAaAaAnGe

Kind of funny to do this juvenile poo poo in a post otherwise insisting on generous interpretations. I'm obviously just giving my opinion on where they're coming from. Maybe it's not literally change for change's sake, but like I've said before, some of the small changes that don't have a lot of actual significance are what strongly suggest to me that a combination of sloppiness and not caring too much about source fidelity are involved there. Thinking they know better when they're not good enough storytellers to actually do better is probably part of the problem too though, don't get me wrong.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 27, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It was a juvenile post. You are comparing an incomplete work to a related completed work and treating it as valid. And you do this because you assume an authority you absolutely do not have.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sorry, I didn't realize I'd overstepped my authority by posting my opinion in the thread for doing that. I'll look into getting the appropriate credentials.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lmao your title text is spot on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

they've still got mine :shrug:

I remain absolutely loving stoked about this show. The place I come from is: I love the Wheel of Time, enjoy the books immensely, am now excited to do a reread now that the show's reignited my interest, but I find them very difficult to recommend.

Sinteres posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize I'd overstepped my authority by posting my opinion in the thread for doing that. I'll look into getting the appropriate credentials.

For what it's worth, I agree with your take on Falme, because it's a pivotal moment for everyone, whereas the Eye of the World was only a big deal for Rand -- for whom the show, for all episode 8's problems, delivered perfectly.

If what they do with everyone at Falme (or wherever they choose to stage those events, if it's somewhere different) works, then it will be a sign that they've got the rest of the series on lockdown, and every new season will be something to celebrate; the show itself, something to happily recommend to all and sundry.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mazed posted:

For what it's worth, I agree with your take on Falme, because it's a pivotal moment for everyone, whereas the Eye of the World was only a big deal for Rand -- for whom the show, for all episode 8's problems, delivered perfectly.

If what they do with everyone at Falme (or wherever they choose to stage those events, if it's somewhere different) works, then it will be a sign that they've got the rest of the series on lockdown, and every new season will be something to celebrate; the show itself, something to happily recommend to all and sundry.

My only real criticism of the way Rand was handled in the last episode is that he never got a cool Power moment all season. Nynaeve got the big Power burst to end episode 4, and then she and Egwene (passively) got Rand's moment from Tarwin's Gap, and then Egwene healed Nynaeve from what sure looked like death but I'll assume was just the absolute brink of death, but with Rand we just got the flashback Dragon reveal stuff and then Ishamael coaching him through how to channel so he could just sort of lash out with it. From a story/character standpoint I think he got some long overdue attention, which was nice (I genuinely did like the scenes with Ishamael), but so far there's nothing awe inspiring about his abilities, and Moiraine handing him a Callandor level sa'angreal right off the bat only reinforces that (and cheapens the Power in general imo). Obviously he'll get his opportunities down the line, but I think so far he's been demoted from overwhelming protagonist (which was necessary) to not even the most impressive channeler in the ensemble.

FWIW I think getting rid of the peak Power potential difference between men and women is good, and that Lanfear flat out should be as powerful as Rand and Ishamael (and I'm not sure I'd say the books even necessarily made it clear that she was several rungs below them in ability, despite the supplementary material?), so I'm not opposed to Nynaeve in particular doing cool poo poo (even if I think having her a rung below Rand and Lanfear still makes sense, at least assuming there will be enough other Forsaken around for Nynaeve to still beat someone like Moghedien), but either way I think we still need to be shown rather than told that the Dragon Reborn is important, because all the holy poo poo Power moments have been from other members of the cast. I don't think Rafe is deliberately trying to destroy Rand or anything, just overcorrecting a bit in reducing Rand's utter dominance in the early part of the series. So I'm sure we'll get there, it's just something I'm impatient to see.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Episode Eight "The Eye of the World"

And after a couple of days busy for the holidays, we're back to warp this season up. Let's get it done.

What Happened?

This episode covers, sort of, chapters 48 through 53 of The Eye of the World, chapters 5 and 6 of The Great Hunt, an inversion of chapter 22 of The Dragon Reborn, a condensed version of the Rand dream-chatting with Ba'alzamon in chapters 9, 14, 24, 33, and 43 of The Eye of the World, and arguably a thematic link to chapter 37 of A Memory of Light. In which, we see the journey through the Blight, the confrontation with the Forsaken at the Eye of the World, the battle at Tarwin's Gap, and the raid on Fal Dara that results in the theft of the Horn of Valere by Padan Fain and Fades.

What got Changed or Added?

Once again, the knock on effects of a change in an earlier episode reverberate in this one. Specifically, the decision to have Moiraine and Rand ditch the rest of the party and go to the Eye on their own scatters the party into three (well, two and a half) separate plotlines once again. Perrin and Fain, Egwene and Nynave and the defense of Fal Dara, and Rand and Moiraine at the Eye. So we'll deal with the changes to each plotline separately in chronological order.

Perrin's got the half a plotline, so we'll get that out of the way first. Perrin talking to a distraught Egwene and talking her out of committing suicide by chasing blindly after Rand and Moiraine into the Blight is, of course, new since in the book everyone travelled together into the Blight.

Perrin's discussion with Loial about the Way of the Leaf is new, since in the books Perrin never seriously considers taking up the Leaf, seeing it (correctly) as impractical in a world where literal monsters exist that cannot possibly be reasoned with.

The golden chest containing the Horn of Valere was not hidden in the throne room of Fal Dara, it was at the Eye of the World. No one sees Padan Fain and his Fade buddy steal the chest and lives, there's only corpses left in their wake. Loial doesn't get stabbed by the Shadar Logoth Dagger, Uno was elsewhere in the keep fighting Trollocs when the chest was stolen, and Perrin definitely didn't get a brief chat with Fain as he escaped with the chest, and probably if he had, he wouldn't have survived it since book Fain was significantly more kill-happy and Gollum-like than the smooth Darkfriend Fain in the show. Fain, after all, is the one responsible for killing Perrin's family in The Shadow Rising, he definitely would have killed Perrin if he could have gotten him within dagger reach.

Nynaeve doesn't teach Lan how to track Moiraine. They do have the conversation about their relationship where Lan does drop the "I will hate the man you choose" line on her, but in the book it's him explicitly telling her that they cannot have a relationship because he's doomed to die in the Blight and cannot marry her because all she'd get as a dowry would be widow's clothes when he inevitably died. Here it seems to be less about a relationship, since she's already met his "family" and spent the night with him, so much as him blessing and cursing the man she'll chose to be her Warder since it can't be him as he's already bonded to Moiraine. Also the conversation is in camp near the Seven Towers of Malkier in the Blight, not Fal Dara.

Nynaeve in the books has not lost the ability to listen to the wind. Indeed, it's the one channeling related power she can access all the time without her anger block coming into play. In the book she does listen to the wind and predict a storm is coming, rather than Egwene being the one who does it in the show.

Since Min isn't in Fal Dara, and I don't think ever visits it in the books before the place is razed, she's definitely not there to predict Nynaeve's near burnout or the deaths of the Shienaran soldiers.

There isn't a Gap Fortress, the Gap (as we mentioned last episode) isn't within line of sight of Fal Dara, and the plan in the book involves the entire military of Shienar assembling and fighting a cavalry vs Trollocs battle in the Gap.

Lady Amalisa doesn't have a final conversation with Lord Agelmar before the battle...or at least not on page, since Amalisa only debuts in The Great Hunt.

Nynaeve never considers fleeing Fal Dara because she was already in the Blight when the attack came. Likewise, she and Egwene never join Lady Amalisa's circle since in the books Amalisa can't channel.

Agelmar doesn't die defending the Gap. In fact, he actually survives the whole series, one of only two of the Five Great Captains to do so!

Amalisa, Nynaeve, Egwene, and the two unnamed Shienaran cannon fodder channelers don't wipe out the Trolloc army with the Power, Rand does.

Amalisa, since she can't channel, never burns out, and Nynaeve never nearly does so herself by absorbing the Power from Egwene. Egwene never heals Nynaeve afterwards. In the books Egwene is notoriously bad at healing, being unable to heal Elayne of a concussion and being forced to provoke Nynaeve's anger so she can do it when all three are captured by Darkfriend bandits in The Dragon Reborn. Also, while it is possible for burnout to kill, getting inadvertently stilled is the much more likely outcome to overusing the One Power. Given that burnout was fatal for three out of four women, and the last only survived due to emergency healing, and further that Liandrin had the same glowing cheekbones effect when she nearly burned out fighting Logain, it seems that burnout may be much more fatal in the show than in the books.

The cold open with Lews and Latra never occurs in the books proper...but is mentioned in The Wheel of Time Companion. As it is merely briefly described there, we don't know how specific Latra's arguments were, but the impression I got was that while the strike at Shayol Ghul was considered dangerous, no one considered the possibility of the Power getting corrupted. Show Latra seems much more prescient than her book counterpart. Lews is not the Dragon Reborn in the books...he's just the Dragon.

While the Blight does not look like that in the books, it does take a toll on reckless Shienaran youths, and touching anything there can get you killed.

Rand and Moiraine don't have a little rest break conversation in the books.

Rand does not dream confront Ba'alzamon in the Blight, as in the books proximity to an Aes Sedai is sufficient to ward off the attack dreams. This dream conversation with Ba'alzamon (or Ishamael if you prefer) is actually the closest in accuracy to the dreams Rand has throughout The Eye of the World where Ba'alzamon alternately taunts, threatens, and tries to entice Rand to join his side.

Moiraine doesn't have a sa'angreal in the books...she has an angreal that only women can use. What she gives Rand seems to be a combination of the little fat man angreal he obtains at the end of The Shadow Rising and maybe the access key to the Choden Kal.

The reason Moiraine can't teach Rand to channel in the books is because the methods men use to access Saidin and women Saidar are completely different. "A fish can't teach a bird to swim" is the usual analogy. The story Moiraine tells Rand here about her cruel mentor is reminiscent of Elaida's treatment of Moiraine in New Spring and how enduring that actually helped Moiraine pass her Aes Sedai test.

In the books the party never travels through Tarwin's Gap and thus never glimpses the oncoming Trolloc army.

The Eye of the World is a magical grove sustained by the last Nym, the Green Man. It moves around magically, and contains a pool of untainted Saidin that Rand taps to destroy Aginor and the Trolloc army, and to seriously inconvenience Ba'alzamon. The spiral staircase down is in the books, but it is accessed through a cave, not open to the air as in the show.

The yin-yang cuendillar seal on the floor in the show is a small plate sized disc in the books. Rand doesn't get visions of Lews Theron until much later in the series, and doesn't even really admit he's the Dragon until the end of The Great Hunt.

The vision that Rand has is a nearly perfect reversal of Egwene's Acceptance test in The Dragon Reborn. In both Rand and Egwene are married and have a daughter and are living on the Al'thor farm in the Two Rivers. The difference is that in the books Egwene is having the vision and must abandon Rand and her baby to become an Aes Sedai, where as here Rand is the one having the vision and he must deny the Dark One. This also has thematic, if not specific, links to Rand's battle of visions with the Dark One in A Memory of Light.

While Moiraine does battle a Forsaken (Aginor) and lose to him at the Eye in the books, she's just badly injured, not shielded by Ishamael.

Likewise, while Moiraine does threaten to kill Rand if he turns from the Light, she never actually holds a knife to his throat.

When Rand defeats Ba'alzamon in the books it's with a sword of Saidin through the chest setting him on fire, not with what appears to be balefire. One seal is destroyed in the aftermath of the battle, though they don't realize it until they excavate the chest and find the broken seal inside. Ba'alzamon definitely doesn't go out with a smirk that seem to indicate this whole thing was a trap and that he may have actually won.

Rand never asks Moiraine to pretend he's dead, though his travelling by himself after an exhausting battle with Ba'alzamon does match the start of his journey in The Dragon Reborn.

And finally, when the Seanchan fleet appears, they do so at the port of Falme, and they definitely don't use a tidal wave to murder a little girl as their opening move.

What got Left Out?

The Green Man and his grove are missing.

Both Aginor and Balthamel are replaced by Ishamael here.

Besides the broken seal and the Horn of Valere, the party finds the Banner of the Dragon which is missing from the show.

The entire rest of the military of Shienar, including King Easar, are missing from the battle in Tarwin's Gap.

Arguably, basic military tactics and rudimentary siege defenses are missing as well, but I guess that's more a matter for "What did I Think?"

Mat is still MIA, but we all know about the Barney Harris thing. In the book, Mat gets knocked out by Padan Fain and has the dagger stolen while he's unconscious. Here, we don't know how Fain got the dagger, though presumably he stole it from the Tower (which he does in The Fires of Heaven) or was given it by the Black Ajah.

The various monsters in the Blight, especially the fearsome Wurms, are all excised from the show.

What did I Think?

Not thrilled with the way Lord Agelmar went out. I'd much rather have seen the book version...competent but vastly outnumbered....than the overconfident guy who goes out easy here. I really like book Agelmar, and his pleas for help from Moiraine and Lan that they have to regretfully turn down are much better drama than what we got in the show. Why don't you have guys on the top of your wall with rocks to drop on Trollocs trying to climb the wall? Why don't you have a ditch in front of your wall? Why aren't there siege engines on the wall? Why aren't you defending your castle instead of the one big wall? Why are your channelers out in the open instead of on the wall or on the wall of your castle? Why can't anyone get a tactics advisor for your writing room so you don't make such dumb scenes?

In an interview Rafe said that he was trying to fix the big problem of the end of The Eye of the World that only Rand gets to do anything important at the end of the book. And by letting Nynaeve and Egwene do the Blast the Trollocs bit, that was successful. But Lan misses the whole final episode, near enough, and Perrin only gets half a plotline, and one that was probably supposed to go to Mat if Harris hadn't bailed. So it wasn't a perfect solution, by any means.

Boy they really could have used two more episodes like Rafe asked for, huh? Considering that this one season was really almost entirely the one book, I haven't the faintest idea how the gently caress they're going to do the remaining 13 books in only seven more seasons. I have concerns.

That said, Ishamael was great. I love the smooth talking face of evil, and I do suspect he got some of what he wanted. Obviously if he managed to turn Rand, that'd have been the best option, but just getting him to balefire a hole in the seal was probably good enough. I also like the idea of the seals being places rather than things. Here's hoping that there are still a bunch more to find and fight over.

Speaking of smooth criminals, Fain's great too. "Hey man, ain't gonna kill you since we might turn you later, just as long as you don't do anything stupid that my Fades have to stab you for. Cool? Cool." WAY better than discount store Gollum from the books.

Amalisa and the girls doing the channeling thing was pretty good. Not great since it felt rushed. I'd have liked the other two channelers to get to say ANYTHING so that we even slightly care when they died, for instance.

Rand's Acceptance test was decent too, even though the outcome was never really in doubt.

Min's still cool. Hope she gets more to do next season.

Overall, the episode was good enough for me to enjoy, even though the more I think about it, the less I like it. Still, being aware of all the limitations and disasters they faced trying to make this thing in 2020, I'll cut them some slack and hope for better next year.

Episodes 1 & 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 28, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Re: Agelmar, Brandon Sanderson made a good point that hiring actors to be on screen for a couple episodes and then not again for several years rarely makes sense if you don't have to do it, so that's probably part of the motivation behind that change in addition to general drama heightening.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sinteres posted:

You aren't posting your opinion. You are claiming to know the intent behind changes from the books to the show. Which you don't.

It's rather telling that you're stance "changes for the sake of change" is entirely indefensible, and also unproveable. That just lets you sit back and go "this change makes no sense" and then pretend you're the king of what is allowed by just handwaving any changes away.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CainFortea posted:

That just lets you sit back and go "this change makes no sense" and then pretend you're the king of what is allowed by just handwaving any changes away.

I don't know where you got the impression that I'm going to halt production immediately if I disagree with their decisions, but they're allowed to do whatever they want regardless of what I think. I'm allowed to disagree though. What you may be taking issue with is what I said about regaining book readers' trust, since that did project my feelings a bit onto a larger group that doesn't entirely hold my opinions, but if the shift in tone on the subreddits since episode 8 came out is any indication, it's not exactly an isolated perspective either.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I don't think Rafe is deliberately trying to destroy Rand or anything, just overcorrecting a bit in reducing Rand's utter dominance in the early part of the series. So I'm sure we'll get there, it's just something I'm impatient to see.

My take on it is this: To roll with the new conceit that the Dragon Reborn could be any of the five, Rand got downplayed. His role for most of the season felt like the most levelheaded person in the group, with the least amount of baggage, his only real sticking point being extremely protective of the rest from Moiraine and from others -- which kinda overlapped with Nynaeve's spot in the books, and sensibly so, since in this version she spends more time with the Aes Sedai (another change I loved -- more below.) They might have foreshadowed it a bit better, since the only real unusual things were him breaking down that door and being identified by Loial as an Aielman (which may barely count, since the Tigraine scene came later) so in this sense there was some overcorrection, but this initial characterization was really entertaining in its own right.

Regarding Nynaeve: I can't get over how perfectly they captured her. Everything that seemed over the top, like her threatening Lan and her talking poo poo to Siuan, was pretty much dead-on to her book persona. The scenes of her hanging out with the Warders while giving the Aes Sedai the stinkface seemed to veer slightly off, as her book personality seemed too judgmental of men to casually banter and comfortably socialize with them, but they chose to direct all her sourness towards the Aes Sedai themselves, which was a perfectly wonderful change. The original, constant "oh, men"/"oh, women" refrain overstayed it's welcome by precisely 14 and 1/2 books.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

I don't know where you got the impression that I'm going to halt production immediately if I disagree with their decisions, but they're allowed to do whatever they want regardless of what I think. I'm allowed to disagree though. What you may be taking issue with is what I said about regaining book readers' trust, since that did project my feelings a bit onto a larger group that doesn't entirely hold my opinions, but if the shift in tone on the subreddits since episode 8 came out is any indication, it's not exactly an isolated perspective either.

I agree with you. I was getting the same "well you don't know what's going to happen, so how can you possibly think some of the changes felt bad, arbitrary, and pointless?" responses.

I want to like it. There are some things I do like about it. But I was expecting a lot fewer deviations this early on, especially because the first book was downright straightforward compared to how convoluted the story gets by the middle of the series. And if they're willing to throw out big plot points of a simple, almost entirely self-contained story, it doesn't bode well for what's coming.

Like, their treatment of saidin/saidar so far bugs me. Namely, that it's a super important key element of the series that had numerous situations come up where it could be info dumped, but they haven't even used the terms. I hope they correct that once male channeling becomes more prominent, but it just feels bad. And they already made it more prominent than it was in the first book by devoting an entire episode to Logain! An hour of screen time for something that didn't happen in the books at all and what did happen consisted of a paragraph or two of text, tops. In a season that clearly needed more time to handle the actual content of the story, that feels real bad. And I actually liked that episode! But in retrospect, I'd prefer they'd used the time to cover the source material a bit more faithfully.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 27, 2021

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Still possible to get this?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Mazed posted:

Regarding Nynaeve: I can't get over how perfectly they captured her.

Show Nynaeve isn't a sulky judgemental childish arrogant domineering harpy with zero introspection that kills any kind of happiness or positivity whenever she is on screen. How nobody hasnt shanked her as yet (book 6) is the big mystery of the series so far.

Show version is a completely different character with the same name.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

nynaeve is actually the best character, both in the book and in the show

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Goofballs posted:

I think the 3 things they need are, someone who can write dialogue (desperatly), someone with a sense of proportion who knows the later story beats and just more episodes to let the characters breath.

yeah, better writers are definitely needed

one way to give more breathing room would be to cut more plotlines. and it could be done easily by offing some of the major book characters, eg. perrin and elayne and her siblings. they could make eg. aviendha or min ltt's reincarnated wife if needed

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Barreft posted:

Ishy should've been Navid Negahban

he definitely shouldn't have been the swedish chef

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

SerSpook posted:

nynaeve is actually the best character, both in the book and in the show

Isnt :colbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The perception of Nynaeve as a one note bully is from the perspective of teenagers, notably Rand, who are universally dumb and don't understand how authority works especially for a young woman thrust into a position that needs respect from others in order to be effective. She owns.

And on another note, the idea that Rafe and the writers with involvement from Harriet don't care for or understand the source material enough is laughable at best.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

tbh i don't really get the "they don't care about the material!" argument because i think there's a lot there in the first six episodes that shows they do, and the worst changes (like the poo poo with mat) clearly came from a combination of covid and barney harris being banished to the shadow realm

my one big concern right now is something i really do think they'll get more into as time goes on, with additional age of legends scenes, because in the end, Lews Therin Did Nothing Wrong and Neither Did Latra Posae

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Collateral posted:

Show Nynaeve isn't a sulky judgemental childish arrogant domineering harpy with zero introspection that kills any kind of happiness or positivity whenever she is on screen. How nobody hasnt shanked her as yet (book 6) is the big mystery of the series so far.

Show version is a completely different character with the same name.

nynaeve was the character that was changed the most from the books. lan is a close second, they both share basically just the names of the book characters

and mat was more like a common criminal than a lovable rogue

perrin and rand weren't quite like the idiot teens they were early in the first book, but apart from that perrin hadn't changed much. rand's biggest change was that he wasn't trained by the 'toshiro mifune character'-like lan

egwene and moiraine were perhaps changed the least

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Maybe she changes in the following books, but she is a joyless nag up to where I am in book 6. She does at least acknowledge her awful attitude is partly to mask her cowardice, then she immediately stuffs that thought in a box and carries on as before.

She is a perfect Aes Sedai to be honest.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 27, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Can you stop using gender based insults? Says more about you than anything else.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
???? OK you have me beat here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Collateral posted:

???? OK you have me beat here.

Shrew and harpy and poo poo like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So this is interesting: here we have what is believed to be our first images from season 2.

This location is near the city of Ostuni, Puglia in Italy where the production is known to be shooting. People on reddit have been confused by this little village location because it's way too small to be something like Falme. I believe this may be the tiny village in Arafel where Adeleas and Vandene reside.

Moiraine goes there in chapter 22 of TGH and asks Vandene if there is a link between the Dragon and the Horn of Valere and Toman Head then gets attacked by a Draghkar :v: