Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Or possibly Miracle Mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Miracle Mile is so loving good and gave me nightmares when I first watched it (and since this is the Blu Ray thread, the Kino blu ray is gorgeous)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Y'all are amateurs for not mentioning Threads, and now Severin Films just announced a bluray release: http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/05/threads-blu-ray-severin/amp/

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Y'all are amateurs for not mentioning Threads, and now Severin Films just announced a bluray release: http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/05/threads-blu-ray-severin/amp/

Ooooh! Though I don't feel any huge urge to rewatch it. It is probably the most depressing film ever made.

And speaking of post-nuclear attack films, Testament (1983) could use a blu-ray release.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Aw man the extended Superman cut blu ray has zero special features? That stinks.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I, Butthole posted:

Sweet. I remember waiting so long for a US dvd release that I eventually stopped checking after a decade or so.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, after a short delay due to the United States Postal Service being too good at their job, I now have a brand new copy of Liquid Sky in my greasy fingers. Is there a certain state of mind I should be in before viewing? I.E. :350:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I got my VinSyn order but it was missing a couple movies. :(

Got Liquid Sky and the two movies from the BF deal though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

I got my VinSyn order but it was missing a couple movies. :(

Got Liquid Sky and the two movies from the BF deal though.

Did you use their BF shipping option for adding to the order?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Did you use their BF shipping option for adding to the order?

I'm not sure. But I ordered 2 copies of a few movies but only received one copy, so I think when the packed my order they counted the two bf deal movies as the extra copies by mistake. Shouldn't be a biggie to fix, but I'll find out soon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout! Factory is releasing a collector's edition of The 'burbs on March 20.

They're also releasing a new edition of Downfall on March 13,

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Does it have the alternate ending?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Does it have the alternate ending?

Extras not listed yet, but it was even on the old Universal DVD, so I doubt Shout! would leave it off. Arrow released a stacked edition for the UK that included it, as well as the complete workprint version.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I cracked my disc for the Burbs years ago so this is an excellent excuse for an upgrade.

That kid's a meatball.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

They're also releasing a new edition of Downfall on March 13,

Downfall as in, the really good Hitler in the Fuhrerbunker movie?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xenomrph posted:

Downfall as in, the really good Hitler in the Fuhrerbunker movie?

Yep that one

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well poo poo, now I've finally got a reason to upgrade the DVD I've had for years.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Vinegar Syndrome sent me another copy of Liquid Sky. This happen to anyone else?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm not sure. But I ordered 2 copies of a few movies but only received one copy, so I think when the packed my order they counted the two bf deal movies as the extra copies by mistake. Shouldn't be a biggie to fix, but I'll find out soon.

Oh hey, this got taken care of really easily. I emailed them and two days later I received the missing blurays.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My VinSyn order came in! I like how they split movies up by reel rather than arbitrary chapters. I haven't checked out Liquid Sky yet, but...

The remasters look excellent for what they are. Considering that Catch My Soul was considered a lost film for decades, the fact they had the camera negative is a small miracle. Christmas Evil looks like a lot of fun and it's going to be surreal seeing Hobgoblins in pristine quality.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

My VinSyn order came in! I like how they split movies up by reel rather than arbitrary chapters. I haven't checked out Liquid Sky yet, but...

The remasters look excellent for what they are. Considering that Catch My Soul was considered a lost film for decades, the fact they had the camera negative is a small miracle. Christmas Evil looks like a lot of fun and it's going to be surreal seeing Hobgoblins in pristine quality.

I liked how in Christmas Evil they included scans of the test screening comment cards as a special feature.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just got notification today that Suspiria shipped.

Also, Warner Archive will be releasing The Hanging Tree in January

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why is the Susperia bluray $90? Is there an option I’m not noticing?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Why is the Susperia bluray $90? Is there an option I’m not noticing?

It was 50 when I pre-ordered it. This steelbook edition is a limited run of 6000. There's a German leather bound version that's like 140

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Grind House Video had it cheaper than 90, but was still expensive. Just can’t justify it still, despite my love.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

If you call Synapse Films, you can still buy a copy from them for the $50ish price. There's a blog post about it at the website.

http://synapse-films.com/news/suspiria-preorders-holiday-break-news/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, I guess now that net neutrality is dead, physical media isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yay my hobby of collecting discs is validated!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well, I guess now that net neutrality is dead, physical media isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I never stopped buying it :smug:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

"Verizon to purchase controlling stake in Walt Disney Company."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MacheteZombie posted:

Yay my hobby of collecting discs is validated!

Now they just need to keep making 3d blu rays in America. I like this stupid dead technology.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

xarph posted:

"Verizon to purchase controlling stake in Walt Disney Company."

Hey, Comcast nearly bought them back in 2004...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion is finally releasing The Passion of Joan of Arc in March, along with The Age of Innocence, Women in Love, Baal, and King of Jazz.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Download code for Batman v Superman. Post if redeemed.

TAKEN

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 18, 2017

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Download code for Batman v Superman. Post if redeemed.

KKTBT2MTTHWT

I redeemed this, thank you. I'm looking forward to dawning Justice?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

My copy of Suspiria arrived this morning. I'm not an expert, but this looks absolutely gorgeous and the 4.0 audio mix is so fresh and crisp sounding. It's going to probably be my favorite disc this year, and there has been a lot of really nice releases in 2017. Worth every penny spent.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley has a sale on three Blu-rays (and one DVD set) with a 40% discount off MSRP:

L'Inhumaine - $23.97
Cinerama Search for Paradise - $29.97
We're In The Movies: Palace of Silents and Itinerant Filmmaking - $23.97

L'inhumaine is an avant-garde French silent film, with a score by Alloy Orchestra.

Search for Paradise is a Cinerama travelogue. As with their other restorations, it's a new 2K restoration in Smilebox (curved widescreen). Also has the first new Cinerama film in 40+ years as an extra.

We're in the Movies has two documentaries mainly: One on the Silent Movie Theater (now/formerly Cinefamily theater) and another on the making of the first film made in Wisconsin. It features The Lumberjack, the film featured in the latter documentary, as well as other films made by travelling filmmakers, including a version of The Kidnapper's Foil shot in Texas.

These are usually a lot more expensive. While they're still a little pricey, Flicker Alley is a fantastic smaller label and they have incredible customer service and quality control. They're on par with Criterion and Masters of Cinema.

Also, Amazon has two on sale:

Children of Divorce - $17.49 (new 4K restoration of a Gary Cooper/Clara Bow silent)
Too Late for Tears - $18.49 (awesome almost-lost noir)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 21, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Terminator 2 UHD has shipped, it's an actual Christmas miracle.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I saw Christmas Evil at Alamo tonight and it blew me away. Can anyone vouch for the Vinegar Syndrome release? I have to own that film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I saw Christmas Evil at Alamo tonight and it blew me away. Can anyone vouch for the Vinegar Syndrome release? I have to own that film.

I can. It looks great, just like all of Vinegar Syndrome's work.

• Locked thread