Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

Been playing through Blood again to get my Halloween on (plus I wanted to start over so I could finish Episode 4 and 5 plus Cryptic Passage). I don't have any issues with the mouse movement, even without bmouse, but one bug that really frustrates me is how the game doesn't loop music tracks. There aren't enough ambient sounds in Blood so levels just feel empty without the music. Fortunately quicksaving then immediately quickloading fixes it but it's still annoying. I wonder if this is a problem with DOSBox I can fix.
I was gonna suggest disabling the CD audio and just using the MIDIs, since they loop and so many retro FPSes used MIDI that it probably wouldn't feel too out of place, but I suppose that custom DOSBox build works too.

Although given that that was three years ago, surely they'd have rolled the changes into vanilla DOSBox by now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
DOSbox 0.74 (current stable) was released in May of 2010.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Dominic White posted:

Been a while since I've dusted off Zandronum properly. Have there been any really good Invasion level sets released in the past year or so? That was always my favourite kind of co-op. Big, dumb, loud and great with friends.

I can't say I've personally verified their quality, since I usually stick with Armageddon or Alpha/Delta Invasion, but there's been two major Invasion releases that I recall.

Satan's Covenant: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1631
Monster Invasion: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1484

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was talking about the new changes to Quake Live.

Your comment is no less valid when applied to Loadout, though. Good gravy what a mess of a game.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

Your comment is no less valid when applied to Loadout, though. Good gravy what a mess of a game.
I played it and liked it for a bit, than realised that the whole gimmick of the game was kinda bullshit because there was obviously only going to be a couple of actually viable gun builds to use (and of course if you don't use them than you'll get beaten by the players who do) I haven't played it since a long time ago though, so I have no idea how the game is now.

Also the mod is a couple of years old now, but I only discovered it yesterday. Night work at the factory is a pretty substantial SP pack for Kingpin. The visual design is fantastic and it has a few neat ideas, but it also has some hard to navigate sections and jumping puzzles - there's also lots of combat in the last half of the pack; I don't think Kingpin's combat is much fun but it's worth playing despite that.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 6, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

I was gonna suggest disabling the CD audio and just using the MIDIs, since they loop and so many retro FPSes used MIDI that it probably wouldn't feel too out of place, but I suppose that custom DOSBox build works too.

Although given that that was three years ago, surely they'd have rolled the changes into vanilla DOSBox by now?

I had no idea Retail Blood had MIDIs. I want to try that out now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.gog.com/forum/unreal_series/missing_content_bonus_maps_and_other_issues

Cool post on gog.com which details all the content that is not included in the GOG release of Unreal Gold, Unreal Tournament GOTY, Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Woolie Wool posted:

Wrath of Cronos + Hexercise makes you crazy powerful at higher levels, especially in Heretic and Doom.

I was able to take the cyberdemons at the end of Epic out in around 10 seconds, doing about 1000 damage from each strike of the Quietus. This on top of having 300 max health, 350 max armor, and moving faster than Doomguy. Brings new meaning to that ROTT difficulty level "I am a freight train of death". :getin:

I haven't heard of either mod but I looked it up on YouTube and it looks awesome. Are there any good guides on what I should be doing? I'm guessing it's a bit more involved than just killing everything that moves.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Steam is equally missing all of that Unreal poo poo, except I'm pretty sure that Unreal 2 Steam isn't patched (showing that literally no one in existence cares about Unreal 2.)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Steam is equally missing all of that Unreal poo poo, except I'm pretty sure that Unreal 2 Steam isn't patched (showing that literally no one in existence cares about Unreal 2.)

I just checked my U2 Steam install, and it's patched to the latest version. Steam has an advantage over GoG because Steam gives out a unique key for UT2k4 when you purchase it, while GoG gives you a generic one that's banned almost everywhere.

Also, keep in mind that the GoG and Steam versions of the Unreal games lack certain official add-on content because they're simply digital versions of old retail distributions which lacked the same stuff the Steam and GoG versions of the game do.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is the DVD Unreal Anthology missing all of that stuff?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

nexus6 posted:

I'm having a blast with DoomRL Arsenal, I'm a sucker for loot and weapon/armor variations. Are there any compatible mods that add enemy variations?

DooMRPG is compatible with it and adds some new armors and weapons into it too. If you do get it though, you might not actually want to level your skills up so some semblance of balance and difficulty is maintained. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is the DVD Unreal Anthology missing all of that stuff?
I believe that the Unreal Anthology is what the digital releases are based off of, so yes.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

I believe that the Unreal Anthology is what the digital releases are based off of, so yes.

It is.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

closeted republican posted:

while GoG gives you a generic one that's banned almost everywhere.

Wait, really? That seems nuts to me that they would do that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i miss tribes: ascend

not the awful monetization stuff, though, that poo poo was terrible

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

closeted republican posted:

I just checked my U2 Steam install, and it's patched to the latest version. Steam has an advantage over GoG because Steam gives out a unique key for UT2k4 when you purchase it, while GoG gives you a generic one that's banned almost everywhere.
Wait does GOG still not have a CD Key Distribution System? Even with GOG Galaxy?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait does GOG still not have a CD Key Distribution System? Even with GOG Galaxy?
GOG Galaxy isn't out yet. You'd think they'd throw together a quick "have a key from our stockpile!" page on their site for such situations, but welp.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Roobanguy posted:

DooMRPG is compatible with it and adds some new armors and weapons into it too. If you do get it though, you might not actually want to level your skills up so some semblance of balance and difficulty is maintained. :v:

Thanks, I'll take a look at this.

Edit: Wait, this isn't available as a wad/pk3 I can add to QLD?

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 7, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can add the individual folders into a launcher, but really you should use their launcher. Make sure you check both DoomRL folders, and the two DoomRL wads if you want those in it.

It's also possible to compile the bits you want to use into a pk3, but then it's more trouble to update stuff.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Elliotw2 posted:

You can add the individual folders into a launcher, but really you should use their launcher. Make sure you check both DoomRL folders, and the two DoomRL wads if you want those in it.

It's also possible to compile the bits you want to use into a pk3, but then it's more trouble to update stuff.

When I tried the launcher I couldn't get it to work, it just crashed at startup. Any suggestions?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i miss tribes: ascend

not the awful monetization stuff, though, that poo poo was terrible
Classic Tribes is fun, but the playerbase is horribly small. :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

When I tried the launcher I couldn't get it to work, it just crashed at startup. Any suggestions?

A few of us were having that problem earlier too, I don't think anyone found any solutions besides hope a future version works and load it all up manually instead.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Mine works fine, with this as the config file (adjust paths as needed)

code:
portPath=G:\games\PC\Doom\gzdoom.exe
DRPGPath=G:\games\PC\Doom\DoomRPG-master
modsPath=G:\games\PC\Doom
iwad=Doom2
difficulty=Normal
rlClass=Scout
mapNumber=0
demo=
enableCheats=False
enableLogging=False
patches={Doom 1 Compatibility};{DoomRL Arsenal};{DoomRL Arsenal - Monster Pack}
mods={pwad\1024CLAU.bex};{pwad\1024CLAU.wad};{pwad\DoomRLArsenal.wad};{pwad\DoomRLHUD.wad};{pwad\DoomRLMonsters.wad}
customCommands=
multiplayer=False
multiplayerMode=Hosting
serverType=PeerToPeer
players=2
hostname=
extraTics=False
duplicate=1
wipeWarning=True

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

A few of us were having that problem earlier too, I don't think anyone found any solutions besides hope a future version works and load it all up manually instead.

Specifically you can take the individual DoomRPG folders and zip them up. A .pk3 file is really just a zip file. You'll only need to figure out the appropriate load order.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So is Fragport generally considered to be a good megawad? I'm not even sure I got it but I'm assuming it's from a bundle I downloaded of every mod ever given a Cacoward (and all those mentioned in the ten year anniversary thing that was before the Cacowards started). And despite having it in my head that it was a good mapset, I just loaded it up and quit briefly after getting to map two. The entire first map is the same light level with no variations appearing anywhere, and is constructed of nothing but right angles. Then map two starts and you run up to a giant door that won't open, then when you turn around you can backtrack to an empty replica of the first map that you can walk all the way back to the front door of. It took me a little bit to realize you were intended to go down a barely noticeable crack in the cave wall.

Then again, it's apparently by the same guy as Super Sonic Doom, another one that people often sing the praises of but I just flat out did not like, so maybe it's just me?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So is Fragport generally considered to be a good megawad? I'm not even sure I got it but I'm assuming it's from a bundle I downloaded of every mod ever given a Cacoward (and all those mentioned in the ten year anniversary thing that was before the Cacowards started). And despite having it in my head that it was a good mapset, I just loaded it up and quit briefly after getting to map two. The entire first map is the same light level with no variations appearing anywhere, and is constructed of nothing but right angles. Then map two starts and you run up to a giant door that won't open, then when you turn around you can backtrack to an empty replica of the first map that you can walk all the way back to the front door of. It took me a little bit to realize you were intended to go down a barely noticeable crack in the cave wall.

Then again, it's apparently by the same guy as Super Sonic Doom, another one that people often sing the praises of but I just flat out did not like, so maybe it's just me?

The maps never get very decorated, but they do get more complex and less... secrety as you go through. Though the secrets required to get to MAP31 and MAP32 are pretty intense to figure out.

The timer mechanism used so that you should be killed when 10 minutes pass in level 30 without you completing it is also pretty neat!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Serious Sam games are all 90%-off on Steam for the next couple of days.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nintendo Kid posted:

The maps never get very decorated, but they do get more complex and less... secrety as you go through. Though the secrets required to get to MAP31 and MAP32 are pretty intense to figure out.

The timer mechanism used so that you should be killed when 10 minutes pass in level 30 without you completing it is also pretty neat!

There's a timer mechanic in one of the first levels in Episode 1 of ZPack: Random Maps for ZDoom WAD, presented as you needing to stop a rocket from launching. I forget if it's 5 or 6 minutes, but it makes for a very tense experience.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Recently, for some reason, I was reminded of a game I played 9 years ago that seems to have been completely forgotten: Tribes: Vengeance.

Made by Irrational Games before they struck gold with Bioshock, it's a single player Tribes released in 2004. Reception seems to have been mixed, but I remember it being pretty fun. While the maps were never as big as the first two games, they were still pretty big for single player maps at the time, and the campagne saw you playing different characters and classes. Also, most importantly: you could ski. Skiing is pretty much the best thing about Tribes, and being able to do so in a single player game is still pretty awesome.And the story is pure space opera in the most bombastic sense, with traces of Dune running through it. Plus, it has a level where you witness an attack on the Emperor's spaceship/palace through the eyes of his daughter, who is still a child. That is something you don't see everyday.

If you can find it, it is definitely worth checking out, and probably dirt cheap. Shame I can't seem to find any retailer who still carries it, though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Kins posted:

The Serious Sam games are all 90%-off on Steam for the next couple of days.

Is Serious Sam 3 any good as a classic shooter or am I better off just getting Painkiller?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Elman posted:

Is Serious Sam 3 any good as a classic shooter or am I better off just getting Painkiller?

It's a fantastic game (barring the first few levels). In case you don't know, although it is a fast and chaotic shooter, it's not really good in the same ways Doom generally is - it's basically just an expansion and refinement on the slaughtermap concept (and done in a much more interesting, well-balanced way than the original Serious Sam games). It's definitely a game I'd give my highest recommendation to, for whatever that's worth.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The beginning levels are terrible, tho, especially the second one, in the museum, where for the most part you fight those green spiderish things. It picks up later, tho, and still for 1.99$ is a no-brainer.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I think the HD remakes of the original Serious Sam games are worth picking up right now, but I don't know if I'd recommend Serious Sam 3. It's pretty good, but the best part is in the middle. Some of the enemies it introduces later on are really not fun to fight at all, the last boss is kind of a complete and utter let-down, and at it's best the classic ones are still a lot more fun. It's not a bad game, it's still pretty enjoyable, but it has a lot of things dragging it down and I really hope Serious Sam 4 turns out better.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Better than Painkiller?I tried to get into painkiller and found it somewhat boring.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SS3 is a game that has a boring start, a nice mid and a tedious and borderline terrible ending part. Best thing you can do is to play it coop with respawns and infinite ammo and breeze through it at a very high difficulty so you don't care about wasting ammo or get frustrated by the huge amount of hitscan enemies. The DLC for it is garbage but if the discount applies, just play it the same.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I can't say as I'm too fond of how they retconned the premise for the original games at the very end, either. Originally: Sam goes back in time with a nameless, faceless crew in the future supporting him by teleporting in weapons and poo poo, IIRC. As of Serious Sam 3, that's not true - he went back in time to avoid the entire goddamn planet exploding and killing everyone else, meaning in the original games, he's not merely mankind's last hope as originally posited, he's literally the only human left alive. A little overly bleak!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Someone posted in the Steam thread or someplace about Tribes Vengeance and it reminded me that Tribes 2 is free and I would love to play it on a server without bots that kick my rear end a lot.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think Serious Sam 3 is pretty good, and I strongly suggest you spend the extra $1 for the DLC so you can play the Workshop campaigns and survival maps that are basically all the parts you liked about the middle without the boring intro or bad final levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sam 3 I'm kind of of two minds about.

On the one hand, I enjoyed it a great deal.

On the other hand, I played it after a long run of grey-brown two-weapon manshoots developed for consoles, which meant that it got major points from me just for things like "letting you carry more than two weapons" and "having some variety in its enemies" and "actually making proper use of mouse and keyboard".

If I had played it immediately after, say, Bulletstorm, I probably would not have been as kind to it.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Recently, for some reason, I was reminded of a game I played 9 years ago that seems to have been completely forgotten: Tribes: Vengeance.

If you can find it, it is definitely worth checking out, and probably dirt cheap. Shame I can't seem to find any retailer who still carries it, though.

I enjoyed the poo poo out of T:V. The skiing implementation was super smooth and they generally succeeded in making a singleplayer Tribes game that still felt like Tribes, without taking the UT approach of just throwing you through a series of increasingly difficult botmatches.

The vehicles were kind of disappointing, though. The dropship was ok, but the little missile pod things weren't nearly as fun as a Shrike even if they were probably more effective.

Honestly, I would have preferred a Vengeance 2 to what we got in Tribes Ascend.