Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mister Sinewave posted:

Thanks for that link. Based on that reading I'd be willing to give it an impulse-buy try this instant. I'll have to wait, though.

Might be all that or it might not, but I'm excited to find out! :buddy:

Yeah, I'm also pretty excited for it, especially the whole idea of there being no phases. Should speed the game up immensely when nothing needs to be interrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Timett posted:

Hey guys I need to replace my copy of The Resistance and plan on picking up Hidden Agenda and/or Hostile Intent at the same time. Do those expansions basically make the game Avalon? Should I just buy Avalon?

I generally find that Resistance < Avalon < Resistance w/ Expansions. I'm not sure if the retail copies of the expansion have noticeable problems like the kickstarter copies did, but I had to sleeve mine because you really could see who played what cards at times.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

Congratulations, you have found the perfect strategy for your team in Avalon to lose every single time.

Funny, I win every game that I am Merlin.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Morpheus posted:

Anyone know where I can get some decent-res images of Space Alert card backs and such? I'm making an insert for a friend and would like to put down images in the bins to make things look ~*~pretty~*~. Maybe I'm just searching using the wrong terms, but this is surprisingly elusive to find.

Edit: I'd use a camera if I had one better than my phone's.

I'd scan mine, but my copy of the game is... lived in, for lack of a better term.

Timett posted:

Hey guys I need to replace my copy of The Resistance and plan on picking up Hidden Agenda and/or Hostile Intent at the same time. Do those expansions basically make the game Avalon? Should I just buy Avalon?

I recommend getting the expansions over getting Avalon because of their modularity and the option to expand further in the future.

Hidden Agenda basically backports Avalon. It includes the Assassin Module (basically Resistance 2, includes the majority of the Avalon stuff), the Defector Module (Avalon's Lancelot promo), and the Trapper module (a modular alternate game mode where mission teams are one size larger but somebody gets screwed out of playing their card by the Leader, it sounds fun but I haven't gotten to try it out personally yet).

Hostile Intent is mostly a bunch of new poo poo. It includes the Inquisitor Module (Avalon's Lady of the Lake, better than Plot cards in every way), Reverser Module (a red character and a blue character that can gently caress with mission results in a slightly chaotic way), and the Hunter Module (basically Resistance 3, a completely different type of game with completely different strategies and characters from before).

I got the Hunter Module to the table again recently. It's only gotten out 5 or so times, since I only introduce it to people who absolutely know Resistance front and back. We're all still at the discovery phase of the game, and it has a hosed up economy with respect to actions, scoring, and how to investigate properly.

The upsides:
  • Using Investigator nominations to bribe people into voting for you
  • Finding sneaky ways to channel information to your team's Hunter
  • Investigation is like the Inquisitor round except everybody has a reason to lie about their discoveries

The downsides:
  • Character power economy is still hard to understand, Blue gets way better or worse for new players depending on what characters they have, much moreso than in Assassin mode
  • Way more rules than Assassin module, it's comparable to Assassin + Inquisitor + Trapper + Sergeant in rule load
  • Early game team selection is as random as base Resistance but mission results matter way more

There are also the Kickstarter promos, but I have no idea how available they are to the public currently. They are the Rogue Agents (a 3rd and 4th team, with 1 member on each) and Sergeant Module (Avalon Excalibur).

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 11, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I backed a KS from the maker for a different, and turns out not very good game called Fallen City of Karez ages ago, and after 3 years of legal and not so legal fighting, with both the company contracted to make and ship the game miniatures, and with upset backers, they've finally given up on ever getting them, and are offering a free copy of the above as alternative compensation. Just trying to figure out if I actually want it or not.

I dunno about the replacement you're being offered, but anything that isn't Fallen City of Karez will probably be a plus. I'm usually lenient on games at the best of times, but christ that thing was a pile.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Machai posted:

Funny, I win every game that I am Merlin.

Then your other players must be incredibly stupid and you must be incredibly lucky. If you claim Merlin and the blue team believe you, there's a member of the blue team that they won't pick because you've said he's a bad guy. Enjoy losing mission 5 with any player count other than nine.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I generally find that Resistance < Avalon < Resistance w/ Expansions. I'm not sure if the retail copies of the expansion have noticeable problems like the kickstarter copies did, but I had to sleeve mine because you really could see who played what cards at times.

On the subject of the kickstarter defects, I bought both expansions at retail and I did not have any defects among them (that I could detect).

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Before I click buy I'm looking at something called The Resistance (Dystopian Universe)on Amazon. Is that just normal resistance with a different girl on the cover?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Jedit posted:

Then your other players must be incredibly stupid and you must be incredibly lucky. If you claim Merlin and the blue team believe you, there's a member of the blue team that they won't pick because you've said he's a bad guy. Enjoy losing mission 5 with any player count other than nine.

Maybe it's part of the group talk and the people that end up on his team figured it out

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Madmarker posted:

Hey, so apparently at the World Boardgame Championships there was a 4-way tie for first place in Agricola with one of the players from my home town Sceadeau taking the win off tiebreakers.

He won the 'Gric World Championships with 3 Family Members. :psypop:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Stelas posted:

I dunno about the replacement you're being offered, but anything that isn't Fallen City of Karez will probably be a plus. I'm usually lenient on games at the best of times, but christ that thing was a pile.

Free game over some minis I don't really want anymore and will likely never see anyway, I guess It's not really a risk.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Timett posted:

Before I click buy I'm looking at something called The Resistance (Dystopian Universe)on Amazon. Is that just normal resistance with a different girl on the cover?

Yes, to differentiate from Avalon.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Archenteron posted:

Is there some weird tournament handicap thing going on there? I get 44, 40, 44, & 45 points.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Is anyone familiar with a boardgame called Athlas: Duel for Divinity?

I backed a KS from the maker for a different, and turns out not very good game called Fallen City of Karez ages ago, and after 3 years of legal and not so legal fighting, with both the company contracted to make and ship the game miniatures, and with upset backers, they've finally given up on ever getting them, and are offering a free copy of the above as alternative compensation. Just trying to figure out if I actually want it or not.

I own it, have played it once, really enjoyed it and look forward to playing it again.

I'm sure you've looked it up and are familiar with the premise, but for the benefit of everyone else in this thread, it's a hex based skirmish game where you custom-design three units using a point-buy system before the game, then during the game you can gradually summon up to an agreed-upon total points worth of units over the course of the game. There's some neat things you can do like self-replicating units, stationary tower-type units, units that can breathe in the otherwise very deadly water terrain, terraforming to create hills and valleys. Combat is deterministic with no dice rolling or card drawing involved, you just total up your attack and that's how much damage you do to the target, which is refreshing in a game of this type.

When I played it with my wife she had an insanely powerful ranger unit which could basically oneshot any of my units at the correct range, but was helpless at close range, and she had a bunch of mermen armed with shovels digging pits all over the map and letting them flood to really block me in while they could move with impunity, and some third unit that was basically a healer mage which she barely fielded any of. I in return had fast flimsy self-replicating undead that I used to rush up and then start replicating themselves, rangers that were not as strong as hers but could climb high ground effortlessly and had terraforming magic to build lots of hills, which not only gave me the height advantage in combat but also helped somewhat stem the tide of her goddamn mermen. My last unit was a strong ranged tower that didn't get to do that much but was good at discouraging her from getting into their range.

On the flipside the publisher really is incredibly shady, my copy shipped with several (easily replaced I should add, so the game is perfectly playable) tokens missing. I contacted the company and they promised to send the pieces, but never did, which seems to have happened to others on BGG as well, with the main publisher guy doing lots of lying and damage control on the forums. It's a shame because this game has some interesting ideas I haven't really seen elsewhere and some cute gimmicks, the designer seems to have just made a really poor choice of publisher to work with.

If you can get it as a free compensation, I'd definitely consider it. If you want to see more of it, Rahdo did a runthrough. Also Tom Vasel dislikes it, so there's that speaking in its favor too.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

No one actually believes I am Merlin because I do that every game so I can go about my business and jump on anyone (that I know is bad) that shows the slightest actual chance of being bad without them suspecting too much that I might actually be Merlin.

I am not the only person that does stupid poo poo like this. I know another guy that does the same thing, one guy who instantly accuses one other specific person of being evil every game without fail, and a guy who does not pay attention and always puts in his reject card on votes up until a quest actually fails and then he finally gets serious. When we play Coup, one of my friends almost never looks at what cards he was dealt and just calls duke over and over until someone challenges him or he has to coup. We tend to play games in stupid ways because they are supposed to be about having fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And yet, that might ruin it for people who want to play games in non-stupid ways but still have fun!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

silvergoose posted:

And yet, that might ruin it for people who want to play games in non-stupid ways but still have fun!

I have yet to meet one.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Machai posted:

I have yet to meet one.

...wait you actually haven't met anyone who likes playing games, but doesn't like random monkey cheese ways of playing them?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Stop having fun in ways that I don't like!

I mean, it'd be a different story if they were playing with strangers that way, but it just sounds like it's a group of friends who regularly play together, and have developed their own sort of metastrategies.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

silvergoose posted:

It's not a big deal when you play with the same group of friends over and over who are fine with that sort of stuff. I wouldn't play like this with new people, and I certainly don't in heavier games, but I do goofy poo poo sometimes in The Resistance, Coup, and ONUW with my friends just to see what I can get away with and to keep things interesting since my group plays them so much.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Honestly it's gotten to the point where if everyone in my group doesn't shout "I'm Merlin I'm the assassin" no one can get a good read on the table, it's similar in feel to pre flop bluffs

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Archenteron posted:

I saw that too. What the gently caress.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Stop having fun in ways that I don't like!

This, unironically.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Hey gang, help me make an intelligent decision regarding Mage Knight.

I've played a few times - I think the learning scenario and then one of the other scenarios. Both were two player games. That was probably a couple of years ago. I have not played it since.

I've dragged it back out. It is set up. In addition, I have incorporated the Lost Legion expansion stuff.

So here is my question - given my background with the game, should I start with the Volkare Scenario? Or do the solo player scenario from the original game Rulebook (using the dummy hand concept, etc.)?

It talks about the Volkare stuff being quite difficult. I'm not concerned about it from a rules complexity standpoint. I have all the time I need - I have this set up on a table that can stay up for a while, and I don't mind going slowly while working through/remembering rules. But I'm wondering whether the Volkare stuff will be too challenging from a victory condition standpoint for my first time back.

On the other hand, I do not know if Volkare has essentially "replaced" the dummy hand concept as the best way to play. I don't want to play an inferior system (I have time, but I don't want to play something substandard if the Volkare rules are basically a better version of the dummy rules - I'd rather just play the Vokare version multiple times in that case).

Which way should I go for my first solo game back (with the Lost Legion expansion available)? Which scenario?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

Hey gang, help me make an intelligent decision regarding Mage Knight.

I've played a few times - I think the learning scenario and then one of the other scenarios. Both were two player games. That was probably a couple of years ago. I have not played it since.

I've dragged it back out. It is set up. In addition, I have incorporated the Lost Legion expansion stuff.

So here is my question - given my background with the game, should I start with the Volkare Scenario? Or do the solo player scenario from the original game Rulebook (using the dummy hand concept, etc.)?

It talks about the Volkare stuff being quite difficult. I'm not concerned about it from a rules complexity standpoint. I have all the time I need - I have this set up on a table that can stay up for a while, and I don't mind going slowly while working through/remembering rules. But I'm wondering whether the Volkare stuff will be too challenging from a victory condition standpoint for my first time back.

On the other hand, I do not know if Volkare has essentially "replaced" the dummy hand concept as the best way to play. I don't want to play an inferior system (I have time, but I don't want to play something substandard if the Volkare rules are basically a better version of the dummy rules - I'd rather just play the Vokare version multiple times in that case).

Which way should I go for my first solo game back (with the Lost Legion expansion available)? Which scenario?

You might get your poo poo pushed in by Volkare but it's much more entertaining than conquering cities with the dummy player timer. Start on the low difficulty if you want to.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Volkare isn't actually very difficult to run, you flip a card and move him as required. If he runs in to you, either fight him or take some wounds and move away. That's basically it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Play Volkare's Return first on the easiest possible setting and don't stand next to him. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's a write up on Scythe: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1416387/hearts-and-minds-initial-thoughts-after-gen-con-20

Reading about the gameplay doesn't particularly excite me now, but maybe it'll be different in play?

This is one of those games that I very much want to be good but I think really need to play or try before actually committing to - which sucks because I'm sure KS exclusives for this would be amazing.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I didn't learn until a couple of days ago that one is allowed to just take a couple of wounds instead of being savaged by Volkare's army at the start.

That said, I strongly disagree that Volkare is an automatic replacement of the standard conquest scenarios / dummy timer. Using the camp in place of a city is fine, but Volkare's Return is an entirely different scenario that you might or might not prefer. I don't really like how it affects exploration.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Got to play Roll for the Galaxy today. It was a decent game; I think I prefer Race.

Comparatively, Settle strategies are much stronger in Roll, while Produce/Consume is much better in Race. Roll has some really ingenious uses for dice, though, and I'm very glad I got to play it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Impermanent posted:

This is one of those games that I very much want to be good but I think really need to play or try before actually committing to - which sucks because I'm sure KS exclusives for this would be amazing.

Stonemaier Games doesn't do KS exclusives that affect gameplay, so you're good on that. Tuscany I think had its "wine box" box and Euphoria had its bits (and they'll never do something that flashy as an exclusive again because the backlash for that was pretty huge for those who didn't get the KS exclusive). What they typically do is give a discount (I don't know what it is relative to CSI prices) and provide ways to get things like coins or an art book for cheaper, which they'll also sell on their store later, but probably not at places like CSI.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
For those intrigued by Scythe go to bgg and check out the podcast on it, think its by doxcast. (Would link if I wasn't mobile) it is an interview with Stegmaier about the game and his design process/ideas.
Basically sounds like some really cool ideas and theme with bad combat and a designer's willingness to listen and act on feedback. Honestly I was pretty doubtful but after listening I have to wonder if stegmaier can make it all work. Either way I look forward to the press on it and KS even if I don't end up backing.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

OmegaGoo posted:

Got to play Roll for the Galaxy today. It was a decent game; I think I prefer Race.

Comparatively, Settle strategies are much stronger in Roll, while Produce/Consume is much better in Race. Roll has some really ingenious uses for dice, though, and I'm very glad I got to play it.

Ordered my copy of Roll earlier today, should be here on Friday. Haven't played either it or Race before, but after watching a playthrough of it, it looks to be a damned fun game.

In the same order, I snagged Cosmic Encounter. I'm hoping to bust it out at a family game night on Friday but, like Roll for the Galaxy, I haven't played it before. Does it play well with people who are, at most, moderately experienced with board games? It seems like it should be with the minimal amount of hidden information (you have your hand of cards, but everything else is visible to all players), and the importance of interacting with other players in forming alliances.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Duct Tape posted:

In the same order, I snagged Cosmic Encounter. I'm hoping to bust it out at a family game night on Friday but, like Roll for the Galaxy, I haven't played it before. Does it play well with people who are, at most, moderately experienced with board games?

Snarky answer: No, they're too experienced.

Cosmic Encounter is one of those bullshitting with friends type games. It's mostly politics and luck. It's not really a game you try to win. The average turn is "hey, hey, help me out here" followed by the player powers mostly making your actions irrelevant. It should be fine for family game night.

edit:

Zombie #246 posted:

IMO Cosmic Encounter sounds like it should be a game that hits the right buttons, but in execution ends up being a very long and very boring/frustrating experience, and I've only had bad experiences showing it to people new to boardgames and not new to them, I don't think I kept it for very long.

I should probably add the disclaimer that I hate Cosmic Encounter.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 12, 2015

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm going to a cabin over labor day weekend with a bunch of friends to get drunk and play games and hike. I have Avalon, Dixit and Love Letter already, but what are some other good easy, quick games that play well with large groups and some non gamers? Two Rooms and a Boom sounds cool but doesn't seem to be out yet? I thought I heard about it being fun like a year or two ago... Coup looks like a pretty safe bet. Preferably something readily available on Amazon I don't really want to worry about CSI shipping out to me on time.

TIA.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

IMO Cosmic Encounter sounds like it should be a game that hits the right buttons, but in execution ends up being a very long and very boring/frustrating experience, and I've only had bad experiences showing it to people new to boardgames and not new to them, I don't think I kept it for very long.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm going to a cabin over labor day weekend with a bunch of friends to get drunk and play games and hike. I have Avalon, Dixit and Love Letter already, but what are some other good easy, quick games that play well with large groups and some non gamers? Two Rooms and a Boom sounds cool but doesn't seem to be out yet? I thought I heard about it being fun like a year or two ago... Coup looks like a pretty safe bet. Preferably something readily available on Amazon I don't really want to worry about CSI shipping out to me on time.

TIA.

6 or less then definitely Skulls.
E: also less of a game to some goons, but a pack or a few of Timeline goes a long way while drinking/hanging out with non-gamers.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 12, 2015

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Gimnbo posted:

[...]It should be fine for family game night.

Zombie #246 posted:

[...]ends up being a very long and very boring/frustrating experience[...]

Hmm, I'll still give it a shot, hoping that the social aspects of the game carry it. If not, last family board game night was pretty successful with Concept, Skull, and Wits and Wagers.

Also, my fairly regular board game crew is kind of tiring of the high-skill, thinking-on-my-turn-for-5-minutes, type of games. We've done our Agricolas, our Mage Knights, our Terra Mysticas. We are more and more frequently pulling out games like Shadow Hunters where strategy takes a backseat to loud accusations and alliances based on nothing. And drinks. Cosmic Encounter might find a home there.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Stan Taylor posted:

TIA.

See above, but another vote for Skull. Have yet to play a game of it that wasn't a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Stan Taylor posted:

TIA.

If you go with coup, I recommend you get the expansion as well because the inquisitor is good and it also allows you to play with up to 10 people.