Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
If my math is correct...

A: 49

C: 72

edit because a 7 is not a C.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

If my math is correct...
7: 72

I found an error in your Math

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Axe-man posted:

I found an error in your Math

You just don't understand Inner Sphere math. :v:

vvv :psyduck:

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 3, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

If my math is correct...
B: 72

Close but so so far

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Voting A.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Voting for C. It'd be nice to see some good old fashioned IS warfare again.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Voting A.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Voting A

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Wow, a lot of good debate over this vote. There was also a lot of goons being goons but I'll put that aside. I love this thread so much.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AJ_Impy posted:

Let's take faction names and biases out of the equation.

Option A: An outnumbered but technically superior force is making an end run against the capital of a technically inferior foe, right in the teeth of the most elite forces they have. The technically inferior side has a strong likelihood of collapse if this world falls, as it includes a lot of their command and control as well as a number of key factories, and so will fight tooth and nail.

Option C: A unit of renown is trying to stop a technically superior force from encircling an area that includes a couple of useful factories. Stopping the advance here will bolster the technically inferior side.

Is that a fair assessment with the serial numbers filed off? Because Option A just looks a hell of a lot more enticing.

I've been playing BT for about 13 years now, and the universe has been the primary draw for about 11 of those. Saying that I should take that completely out of the equation makes no sense to me at all, considering I really just voted for groups I want to play as every other time too.

I mean, I thought I had always been pretty clear that I am not even pretending to be unbiased with factions. I'd feel the same way about playing as Davion cause gently caress Davion, too.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 3, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hey maybe this is for the best anyway? I'm pretty sure that Hell's Horses will manage to conquer Luthien on their own. Maybe they won't get the coordinator or maybe the consequence will be that they suffer a lot of casualties and won't expand for another year. Maybe Grier will call in a reserve clan just like the Scorpions (he's certainly pragmatic enough for it.)

I'm definitely rooting for the clans to "win" insofar as much as they can win (not impossible if the Inner Sphere fragments some more.) I wonder what will happen when they hear of this new Rimworlds Republic. Something tells me ALL the clans will invade then.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

Maybe I'm being crazy here, but hear me out:

Of the four scenarios provided as options this go-around, we have two extremely popular choices, each with passionate support. Sometimes that passionate support is turning nasty, and that's uncalled for. I do not appreciate being called a terrible person, but I'm assuming it's in jest and not taking it personally.

The point is, clearly everyone feels strongly about their scenario of choice NOT being "missed". They want to see goons in the cockpits and these scenarios played out in the thread.

PTN, is there any reason we cannot simply have thread pilots for both of these popular scenarios consecutively? Seems to be everyone wins here, and I am certain there is a fair amount of overlap in people who want to see both or at least would not mind seeing both.

Just have the highest voted scenario come first? If people are getting this riled up, wouldn't a compromise be the "true" most popular choice?

EDIT: I'm a gigantic tool and say concurrent when I mean consecutive. Except not any more!

Brandy Collins fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 3, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brandy Collins posted:

Of the four scenarios provided as options this go-around, we have two extremely popular choices, each with passionate support. Sometimes that passionate support is turning nasty, and that's uncalled for. I do not appreciate being called a terrible person, but I'm assuming it's in jest and not taking it personally.

The point is, clearly everyone feels strongly about their scenario of choice NOT being "missed". They want to see goons in the cockpits and these scenarios played out in the thread.

PTN, is there any reason we cannot simply have thread pilots for both of these popular scenarios concurrently? Seems to be everyone wins here, and I am certain there is a fair amount of overlap in people who want to see both or at least would not mind seeing both.

Just have the highest voted scenario come first? If people are getting this riled up, wouldn't a compromise be the "true" most popular choice?

If I am not victorious in enough threads, then I will not win a bloodname and my genes will not be passed down to the next generation of warriors.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Putting in a futile vote for A, but I have faith that whatever scenario gets played, the fallout will be interesting!

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Affi posted:

Hey maybe this is for the best anyway? I'm pretty sure that Hell's Horses will manage to conquer Luthien on their own. Maybe they won't get the coordinator or maybe the consequence will be that they suffer a lot of casualties and won't expand for another year. Maybe Grier will call in a reserve clan just like the Scorpions (he's certainly pragmatic enough for it.)

I'm definitely rooting for the clans to "win" insofar as much as they can win (not impossible if the Inner Sphere fragments some more.) I wonder what will happen when they hear of this new Rimworlds Republic. Something tells me ALL the clans will invade then.

That's why I voted C. Dracs are hosed. They have no allies and the Hell's Horses have pulled out all the stops. Really, the crux of the issue is whether their finished now or hang on long enough to make the Horses life difficult enough to ensure the Goliath Scorpions reach Earth first.

Whereas the FWL is fighting for its life. Win or lose determines if it dissolves before the Capellans or survives with what it has left. I want the FWL to hang for a bit longer. Their the only friend the Lyrans or Rim Worlds can turn to, and I'd like to see those hang on and flourish respectively.

I voted for C in the hopes that we'll head down the path where a Warden is in command of the Clans when the information floats across their desk that Amaris is still around. Either way we're seeing at least one House fall soon if not two.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Brandy Collins posted:

PTN, is there any reason we cannot simply have thread pilots for both of these popular scenarios concurrently? Seems to be everyone wins here, and I am certain there is a fair amount of overlap in people who want to see both or at least would not mind seeing both.

Huh, I haven't even considered that before. I always thought 'drat, by the time the FWL-CC battle wraps up, the situation on Luthien will have been decided, one way or another!'. It never occured to me that PoptartsNinja could handle this like he did 'Nadir' and 'House Call', except in this case it's not really a flashback, more a 'MEANWHILE, ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GALAXY...' kind of thing.

That's a really good idea, I'm strongly in favour of it. What do our clan-loathing veterans think of this option?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gimmick Account posted:

That's a really good idea, I'm strongly in favour of it. What do our clan-loathing veterans think of this option?

Works for me.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Meanwhile on the Other Side of the Galaxy sounds good. People are getting this upset because there's the impression, not entirely without justification, that if the Goonlance/Goonstar/GoonLevelII don't take control on the field, the faction that was listed as up-for-play will lose, as opposed to only maybe losing if the Goons get to play it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I am sure if the Luthien invasion loses it will be up for vote next time. This isn't some backwater planet where the entire battle is decided in a three hour fight. The invasion of Luthien is going to drag on for quite some time.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Meanwhile on the Other Side of the Galaxy sounds good. People are getting this upset because there's the impression, not entirely without justification, that if the Goonlance/Goonstar/GoonLevelII don't take control on the field, the faction that was listed as up-for-play will lose, as opposed to only maybe losing if the Goons get to play it.

Actually, I don't necessarily believe that. PoptartsNinja has already demonstrated that the status quo isn't sacred to him, so it might very well be that the established power (in this case the Draconis Combine) will lose, who knows. I just want to see such a historical battle play out at as full scenario, not a political update or choiceless background event.

KnoxZone posted:

I am sure if the Luthien invasion loses it will be up for vote next time. This isn't some backwater planet where the entire battle is decided in a three hour fight. The invasion of Luthien is going to drag on for quite some time.

The current mission description suggests that the Clan forces are already under heavy pressure. It doesn't sound like there will be enough strength left for a true victory that lets them keep Luthien after the end of the battle if things are left to develop naturally. But as I said, who knows. I just don't want the thread to just get the 'last scraps' of the battle if we skip it now, so to say.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gimmick Account posted:

I'd love this. I'm in the "wanted vote for both" camp.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

While I can see why PTN wouldn't want to do that...it would bog things down if every time we tried to do two or or three of the choices...I can see making a one time only exception for this particular chain of events, given the severity of the events involved.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Or we could not, and pray that all that's left of Hell's Horses on Luthien is a mess of panicked comms chatter, leaving the Inner Sphere less likely to be molested by the even more objectionable Clans of this timeline, and celebrate by toasting marshmallows over the glowing hulks of ex-Capellan machinery. :toot:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Anything to hurt the Clans.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

jng2058 posted:

While I can see why PTN wouldn't want to do that...it would bog things down if every time we tried to do two or or three of the choices...I can see making a one time only exception for this particular chain of events, given the severity of the events involved.

I know that it sets a bad precedent, but as you said, this situation really is exceptional. Have we ever had so many votes for any single option before? I think even the second-placed mission beats the previous record handily, so there's some real desire from people who would normally just keep lurking to see their choice through. Add to that the large volume of heated discussion, and it's easy to see why these are indeed interesting times...

Since they would be happening simultaneously, PoptartsNinja could skip the fluff between the missions to make it easier on him. And by that I don't mean 'cut it out', dear Hussar-fans! Just bunch it up at the end of the second mission, when the situation becomes clearer.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

If I did not think PTN would murder me for even considering it, I would suggest running the two scenarios in tandem. It could cut down considerably on the "waiting for orders" lull the thread gets into sometimes, and hypothetically would take no longer in real time than running only one scenario.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ It takes me about two to three hours per update, on average.

Juggling two fights, with two sets of personalities, both with numerous opposing forces would more than double that. It's not happening. I'm already feeling crazy enough for wanting a couple of GVG scenarios.

Mukaikubo posted:

I love the thread, but this is (and I have picked at this before) my single huge beef with his canon in that I feel like it has taken the already-thin sections of the Clans which are interesting and carefully cut them out with a razor.

And you know precisely what their motives are, how they think, and what their leaders intend?

Their motives as presented are 'rarsmash.' I have actual motives for each clan, and not a single one of them actually involves avenging Kerensky's defeat by breaking things. They're just specific to each clan (including the Home clans), and I made sure some of the ones with actually reprehensible motives (like the Jade Falcons ("We are the best, acknowledge it! And while you're down there, we'd like that blowjob now.")) have been kept out of the invasion intentionally.

AJ_Impy posted:

Option C: A unit of renown is trying to stop a technically superior force

Still not seeing where people are getting that.

KnoxZone posted:

This is the Hell's Horses best chance for a decisive victory. Still, even if the Hell's Horses win, I wouldn't count the Draconis Combine out. There's a reason I left Theodore Kurita (and several other key players) off of Luthien. Luthien's actually relatively lightly defended at the moment.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

[...] the faction that was listed as up-for-play will lose, as opposed to only maybe losing if the Goons get to play it.

Actually, I've got odds on both to win if they're left off camera. There's still an element of chance involved (the Free Worlds League has not been faring as well with those as the Lyrans have), but the 1st Regulans are hardly pushovers, especially on a battlefield of their chosing.

I am reluctant to allow two concurrent battles, though. It sets what I consider to be a bad precident, and because doing so extends the times between votes and bogs down the overall story. If people really are adamant about doing both, I could probably nix my 'next cycle' (which is still pretty ephemeral, waiting on results from this one) for another time skip / big story update.

I'm just reluctant to do another one of those so soon, because we'd actually possibly miss out on a political vote.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 3, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
e: well, no need to say 'wait for PTN to speak' once he's already spoken, nothing to see here.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am reluctant to allow two concurrent battles, though. It sets what I consider to be a bad precident, and because doing so extends the times between votes and bogs down the overall story. If people really are adamant about doing both, I could probably nix my 'next cycle' (which is still pretty ephemeral, waiting on results from this one) for another time skip / big story update.

I'm just reluctant to do another one of those so soon, because we'd actually possibly miss out on a political vote.

I think we win more by trading one more battle for one less political vote in this particular case. And I don't think that this will become something regular or 'expected'.

My opinion. v:shobon:v

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
Do the Burrocks still rock out with the Bandit Caste in this timeline?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Thanatz posted:

Do the Burrocks still rock out with the Bandit Caste in this timeline?

Someone (a couple of someones) does, but it's not them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'll vote A.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Clearly we need a compromise here.

Go directly to Solaris, do not pass A or C, do not collect 200 C-bills.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Tarquinn posted:

Clearly we need a compromise here.

Go directly to Solaris, do not pass A or C, do not collect 200 C-bills.

No Highlanders!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think this is a fairly exceptional situation, though. I think people feel strongly enough about these battles that they wouldn't mind missing out on a political vote. This is certainly the most heated vote the thread's yet seen.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm considering it, believe me. I just need to decide whether it's going to frustrate people, since I've never had a vote break 150 votes in less than 24 hours before.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The problem with doing both only if people really are adamant about it is that the only way to know how popular the both idea is is to hold a separate vote for both.

It could be an option E, if you will, but that would also require allowing people to change their cast votes (As and Cs might want to be Es), which is a problem. It just makes the whole affair more complicated, and sets a precedent you understandably don't want to set ("remember that one time you let us change votes once we saw what the voting situation was?").

It could also be a separate vote entirely, I suppose. Either way, it would likely take longer to get to the battles themselves.

It was just a thought. I would like to believe that most folk would be disappointed but accepting if their desired option was not played out.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm considering it, believe me. I just need to decide whether it's going to frustrate people, since I've never had a vote break 150 votes in less than 24 hours before.

You shouldn't do it and I really want Luthien. But it sets a really bad precedent. Next vote might be just as heated or even more. And the next one and the next.

Goons love to argue and if they can really really benefit from it then they will argue.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
The problem with both having your cake and eating is that time still has to move forwards in order for the Poptartsverse to flourish, and that's why this thread is so absolutely fantastic. As observers/voters, though, people will always worry about the missed opportunities/put off picking things because the com guard will 'always' be on the table. The grass is always greener, etc.

It's a very tricky recipe; I'm sure PTN will get it right (he has so far), but sometimes options are going to disappear or change depending on how/when we vote for stuff. Them's the breaks!

I'm not sure both is clearly/obviously the right choice because there is still a cost to that, but this is attracting a lot of votes, so maybe it's the way to go. Regarding heated votes, we've had one already; Operation Himinbjörg was also a very very close (and controversial) vote. (Also it was my favourite mission+fluff so far, and the only time I've voted - totally worth it!)

If both were to be an option, I'd imagine it would be better to leave things as they are and review the situation after the chosen engagement concludes, rather than have everyone reassess their position now, cause that would probably just be a cluster gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'd rather have more political votes than more battles. battles are fun to watch, but seeing the canon change is the real meat of the thread for me at least.

• Locked thread