Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

plus
you will dance
sucka

peter gabriel posted:

This tune will always have a special place in my heart, it's just superb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gTLxgssOXI

BETTER LUCK NEXT TIIIIME

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my fav guitarist is ROBBIE motherfuckin ROBERTSON

Tele + Some Fender amp = lets your fingers sound good. At least I assume that was his set-up.

I don't know how much love the 60's rock guys get around here but goddamn the Band sounds as tight in their live recordings as their studio stuff. Robbie Robertson's rhythm enough was a huge part of that formula but his major blues licks are always just so warm and well-phrased.

Then there is the solo on Bob Dylan's "Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat" which just screams.

I saw Martin Scorsese's Silence in theaters and when Robbie Robertson came up in the credits as the musical director I said "gently caress yeah" out loud and probably ruined the somber mood for folks around me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

...and the pitch! posted:

plus
you will dance
sucka

You've sent me on a Pfunk marathon here and I have to thank you for that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOiY2WcU9HQ

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

You've sent me on a Pfunk marathon here and I have to thank you for that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOiY2WcU9HQ

The Aquaboogie 12" cut is over 9 minutes. This is not a traditional pop song.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

...and the pitch! posted:

The Aquaboogie 12" cut is over 9 minutes. This is not a traditional pop song.

Can you imagine Doobie in your funk? Hooo!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Can you imagine Doobie in your funk? Hooo!

Doing it to you in three dee
So groovy that I dig me

edit: I suspect these songs are fun to sing for any voice. It seems like the point.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 28, 2017

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dirt posted:

100% serious question(s): Who is your favorite guitarist? Did you buy their guitar/amp/gear? Post some youtube videos please.

I want to check out some other cool people. Ok thanks.

I... honestly don't have one. Like, back in 88 when I was 12 it was Slash's playing on AFD that made me sit up and actually take interest in guitar, but I never really tried to ape his style or gear. Mainly because I could never afford to while I was playing back then. Hard to sound like Slash with a Peavey strat copy and a super cheap Charvel solid state amp!

I think part of it is that I fell out of guitar playing in college, and my tastes at that point had shifted more to alternative, grunge, and hip-hop. Then I had a 15ish year gap before I decided to start playing again as a hobby, and at this point I'm too old for any sort of formative guitar hero to have taken hold in my psyche. So there's some guitarists I like a lot more than others, but I rarely try to sound like them.

Since coming back to guitar, the ones I guess I've paid the most attention to have been:

Josh Homme (QotSA)
Annie Clark (St. Vincent)
Brent Hinds and Bill Kelliher (Mastodon)
Rodrigo Sánchez and Gabriela Quintero (Rodrigo y Gabriela)

Edit: FUUUUUCK definitely add East Bay Ray in there

In other news, Nailbombs for my new S5521. Cover style? I'm trying to decide between uncovered with black bobbins, plain black covers, or raw nickel. None of the distressed looking ones look like they'll work with the more subdued styling of the guitar.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 29, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NonzeroCircle posted:

I want Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine pedal to come out ASAP. Gonna drive my bassist mate mad with endless ambience.

Devin is slowly becoming my favorite guitarist at the moment and one of the things that finally pushed me over the edge into getting fully into him was watching him play around with and talk about that pedal. I need it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So many great guitarists to choose from, but for my personal live improvisational style (pretty much the hardest thing I've tried to do) I've stolen some of my easiest tools (Dominant 7th Pentatonic, Tri-tone substitutions, and the whole-tone/half-tone scale) directly from the great Robben Ford. He helped me learn how to throw something cool onto the tunraround back when I was stuck in the blues-box for improvising and just jumping from root-position to root-position. Robben's instructional stuff showed me how to comp new inversions and get around the neck in less predictable ways. Dude is a master and he's played with some true greats. He's a west coast guy who has been on the scene for a very long time. I met him in Durham, NC once. He was super groovy (and tiny.)

Any of the live videos from this 1993 show (there are several) are really great examples. I dig his playing (he phrases a lot like a horn player) and he's a great singer. I also dig his band, especially bassist Roscoe Beck who does this two-handed thing where he plays a bass line with his left hand and hammers on what sounds like a Hammond B3 organ with his right.

Here's his cover of Cream's "Politician."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkeYT62T1k

And here's his cover of "Worried Life Blues," in which Roscoe does the aforementioned bass-line/organ thing (although it's not on camera much.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XontsTA2zaU

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/473090336/liquid-guitar-pickups-the-true-sound-of-your-guita?ref=nav_search

4 backers got took for $80k dollars for an extremely dumb idea

my favorite part is "I know what natural bamboo and cedar and iron wood and ebony wood resonance sounds like on an electric guitar." :laffo:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

$80.00?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah not sure how $80/4=$80,000

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Guys I need you to help me back my gaseous pickups. Every note sounds like a fart, but many different tonal farts. Get closer to the bottom end than ever before.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Guys I need you to help me back my gaseous pickups. Every note sounds like a fart, but many different tonal farts. Get closer to the bottom end than ever before.

Better take this over to the bass thread now! Money to be made.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
RESONANCE
MAGNETIC RIPPLES
WOOD TONE
HIGH DEFINITION SOUND

This made me chuckle

quote:

Which fluids sound the best? How do they sound different? It's hard to say, exactly. Less viscous ferrofluids flow and shift more easily, but have less residual resonance. The lighter fluids tend to enhance high frequency (treble) tones, react quicker to string movements and sound waves and tend to be more “fluid” and transparent. Thicker fluids react a little more slowly, but sound waves travel through them more slowly too. They tend to really emphasize the Bass and lower-mid tones, have long sustain and produce a thicker, bolder sound. Lower saturation magnetism makes a more flowing and melodic pickup. Higher saturation magnetism tends to be sharper, is less influenced by the sound waves but picks up more of the string movements. Which is better? It really depends on YOUR ears and what YOU want to hear. Certain fluids can sound “rich”, “bassy”, “swampy”, “clean”, “mellow”, “twangy”, “sharp”, “full & lush”, “scooped mids”... you'll hear the difference.

It's a shame it has to be wrapped up in such silly bullshit as I think it's a pretty fun idea that could lead to some cool looking pickup designs. Not too blown away by the video though, they sound fairly standard to my ears (which, to be fair, are literally full of sawdust at the moment).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Songs in the key of F

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They get that classic British rock tone by using a cup of tea for the liquid

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
ferrofluids don't generate a magnetic field on their own so there has to be a regular magnet in there which kinda defeats the entire purpose of those stupid things

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
for some reason i read that as 80 grand last night, poo poo

also I dunno if i'd call these "stupid music poo poo", they're really cool and useful, but they're kind've impractical in that they're a bitch to have on the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RheshR-9Q0w

an infrared light sensor for a pickup is pretty dope

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I've always loved the sound that Gary Chester from Ed Hall gets out of his Gibsons.

Ed Hall back in 1990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkOaVQ9W5VY
(They put out a bunch of stuff, all awesome)

He's got a new group here in Austin that's a 3 piece like Ed Hall but more a bit more straight rock drums, but his guitar just throws sound out like crazy, especially live, and every guitar guy in Austin that I know thinks he's a monster.
The new group We Are The Asteroid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esor4HOs1lI

I was a huge Ed Hall fan way before I moved to Austin and I've been lucky enough to play with him a couple of times.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MattO posted:

I've always loved the sound that Gary Chester from Ed Hall gets out of his Gibsons.

Ed Hall back in 1990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkOaVQ9W5VY
(They put out a bunch of stuff, all awesome)

He's got a new group here in Austin that's a 3 piece like Ed Hall but more a bit more straight rock drums, but his guitar just throws sound out like crazy, especially live, and every guitar guy in Austin that I know thinks he's a monster.

I was a huge Ed Hall fan way before I moved to Austin and I've been lucky enough to play with him a couple of times.

The 2017 Gibsons have all sorts of new tech in them, DIP switches and whatnot, and you can 100% make them do an out-of-phase thing that makes the Ed Hall sound quite nicely.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MattO posted:

This is loving insanely my poo poo, thank you for introducing me to a goldmine of new music!

It has a whiff of a band I like called The Music, just really nice nasty licks and intense beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospxlZZM2Hw

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
reddits guitar board has a guy who only talks about how poo poo everything but his Suhr and Tom Anderson guitars are and calls people who dispute anything he says poor over and over

that is, truly, Stupid Music poo poo©

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

reddits guitar board has a guy who only talks about how poo poo everything but his Suhr and Tom Anderson guitars are and calls people who dispute anything he says poor over and over

that is, truly, Stupid Music poo poo©

im 49 years old balding and my wife is a bitch that doesnt love me but i just put in a new order for a custom suhr in limited edition confederate flag paint

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

muike posted:

im 49 years old balding and my wife is a bitch that doesnt love me but i just put in a new order for a custom suhr in limited edition confederate flag paint

Yeah but that was about the guy on reddit

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Shugojin posted:

Yeah but that was about the guy on reddit

"also i miss the subreddit about horning up over teens"

that should clear things up

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

"also i miss the subreddit about horning up over teens"

that should clear things up

Once you like ska you never can be cool.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i used to listen to sublime and still like a few no doubt songs. i feel like that's like saying you're into metal because you like the black album though

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

muike posted:

i used to listen to sublime and still like a few no doubt songs. i feel like that's like saying you're into metal because you like the black album though

Worse. Don Drummond just rolled over in his grave.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Spanish Manlove posted:

sort-of counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__mj-1sGa_w

retro honpo is awesome, but... cool? no, no you definitely got me there, cool this is not

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Spanish Manlove posted:

Being cool is for squares :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I know some of you have been waiting to empty that Sparkletts jug filled with pennies so here you go:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
there was an article about it back in december

they put a note on top

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

quote:

In the 1980s he began painting all the parts inside his amps black to prevent people from seeing exactly how he engineered them. Although Boone said that some people who have opened up earlier Dumble amps have, surprisingly, found ordinary parts inside from Radio Shack.

yesssss

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dumble is just the progenitor of spergy tubesniffing nonsense

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just because it's Radio Shack doesn't mean he's fleecing anyone. Knowing how to apply knowledge is more important than making everything 24k gold.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

but also lol if you pay that

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Dumble is just the progenitor of spergy tubesniffing nonsense

as we all know the more fragile harmonics can survive in a vacuum tube, but get eliminated or squashed in a solid state crystal lattice

really it just comes down to that

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fyodor posted:

Just because it's Radio Shack doesn't mean he's fleecing anyone. Knowing how to apply knowledge is more important than making everything 24k gold.

I just find it funny, same with painting over stuff to keep people from cloning them. It's just more cork sniffing goofball poo poo that I enjoy watching sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

as we all know the more fragile harmonics can survive in a vacuum tube, but get eliminated or squashed in a solid state crystal lattice

really it just comes down to that

And here we have a frequency response diagram of gain over the audible spectrum, clearly you can see tha- *audience is already asleep*

• Locked thread