Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tenshianna
Oct 31, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Are you ready for the angriest No Man Sky review yet?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhaUe6y-Co

Hbomberguy I just want to drop in to tell you that you are a treasure and your videos are a fancy treat. A thumbs up form me, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Yardbomb posted:

NMS is still like -the most- inoffensive game I've ever seen the internet at large poo poo it's pants in fury over.
It is the Colin Kaepernick of games

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can see where he's coming from as I get that way with Elite Dangerous. Just running trade missions or cruising around can be pretty relaxing but where it differs is that it has some mechanical complexity that No Man's Sky seems to lack that can satisfy the urge to do more things in it, like space combat. It's a game that thrives on creating micro goals for yourself that lead up to bigger ones like getting a new ship or ranking up. I bought into the No Man's Sky hype with their announcement trailer but I fell off of it in the E3 after.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
NMS as it is seems like the kind of game I would love to turn on every now and again to play for a couple of hours, spacing (haw) it out to keep it fresh. From what I've seen watching streams I really can't imagine myself sitting down day after day to do more without burning out quickly. Really the biggest barrier is that I can't justify it to myself to spend $60 bucks for something like that. Definitely if the price dropped, or if they patched in some more variations to the ProcGen system. It'd need to be some patch to get me willing to spend $60, but stranger things have happened!

At the very least they need to fix that milestone thing that blocks out the UI, that just looks obnoxious to deal with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea don't really want to get it right now at 60 bucks, but Homber's take on it took it from 'I don't give a poo poo' to 'I'll pick it up when I can get a deal'. It's not a game I'd play a ton, but it seems like something I'd enjoy the time I do spend on it.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Apologies if this was posted before, but since he's been discussed recently in this thread, Noah Caldwell-Gervais was interviewed on the Critical Distance podcast a little over a month ago. He talks about his production schedule, how much he loves nature writing, his relationship with videogames and games criticism in general and that he does plan on hiring an editor soon:

http://www.critical-distance.com/2016/07/18/episode-37-noahs-crit/

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Jack Gladney posted:

Phelan just posted another segment in his real-life found-footage movie where he and his sister explore abandoned poo poo until they're killed by an insane hobo or drug dealers. It's way more tense than any film though because Phelan Sister is still wearing sandals while pointing out a rusty sawblade. They joke about people thinking that she's Allison, so this was filmed after the last one and I assume she's just doing it to freak people out, which seriously I am freaking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBKf1vIMyU

Oh, Phelan's my favorite YouTuber at the moment. I can't wait until he finally takes actual Allison to one of these horrible places. :allears:

Mokinokaro posted:

IIRC, Phelous is in Newfoundland so that bus traveled a fair way before being abandoned
No, I think it's Nova Scotia (maybe?)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Ema Nymton posted:

No, I think it's Nova Scotia (maybe?)

Guys, I know the reviewers sometimes blur the line between character and real person, but y'all know that-- just like Haganistan-- Canada is a fictional country made up for his plotlines, right? It doesn't actually exist.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So Night Mind's new video on Don't Hug Me I'm Scared is up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At6aUZGWZXg

I really like it. Nick really wen't all out on this.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

This was the first video where I'm really getting the "he gets way into his theories" thing beyond minor nitpicks. The weird thing is, I actually kind of like his interpretation of the work, but some of the specific evidence is... specious at best. Also, the new one has bad to mediocre skits (of a type, more of an overarching narrative?) and I can only guess that that's why it took so long.

Look forward to him not only feeling the need to explain what a Euro is, but explaining it as "another type of currency used around the UK".

The swastika bit definitely felt like over analyzing, and his reading of a script is as dreadful as ever. I love some of his videos a lot, but man, did we really need one on DHMIS? I guess if the people giving him money demand it he can't refuse, but it felt pointless.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DHMIS is an open work: more than any of the other poo poo except maybe This House Has People In It, Don't Hug Me is something suggestive and evocative made by people with fine arts backgrounds rather than a coded mystery from a dungeon-master nerd and his 50 youtube channels. You don't "solve" something like that; you appreciate the ideas it engages. I mean, one of its big ideas is that abstract or unbounded concepts collapse into junk when you try to limit and pin them down for easy consumption.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Are you ready for the angriest No Man Sky review yet?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhaUe6y-Co

I'm actually in the same boat, where I paid zero attention to the hype beyond a general 'huh, big space game, cool' stuff so I have zero investment in this whole 'WE WERE LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIED TO' nonsense. This actually makes me want to play the game because this all sounds Extremely My poo poo

That was a lot of yelling.

Honestly, it seems kind of dull to me, but I'm glad some people do like it. Though I have to wonder how much better it would be if they changed a lot of the micromanaging stuff. Seems like it gets in the way of what's good about it.

Don't Hug Me I'm Scared can be explained, but I'm not sure it needs to be recapped, or interpreted as if it's a consistent narrative.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Saturday's video is a Reboot episode recap! Haven't done one of these in a while! Today it's "Enzo the Smart", where Enzo messes with the computer's clock speed and nearly gets everyone killed.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Apologies if this was posted before, but since he's been discussed recently in this thread, Noah Caldwell-Gervais was interviewed on the Critical Distance podcast a little over a month ago. He talks about his production schedule, how much he loves nature writing, his relationship with videogames and games criticism in general and that he does plan on hiring an editor soon:

http://www.critical-distance.com/2016/07/18/episode-37-noahs-crit/

That audio player is bad. I can't move the slider and it cuts out about 3 min in.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

BigRed0427 posted:

So Night Mind's new video on Don't Hug Me I'm Scared is up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At6aUZGWZXg

I don't know, I feel like his take is pretty much a perfect antithesis of what makes DHMIS fascinating and compelling. I'm sure he put a lot of effort into it, but this type of analysis rings really false for me. I guess it sort of typifies what I don't really enjoy about Night Mind's videos, this sort of....reaching to present a solution or an answer to pieces of art that don't need to be solved.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

lornekates posted:

Guys, I know the reviewers sometimes blur the line between character and real person, but y'all know that-- just like Haganistan-- Canada is a fictional country made up for his plotlines, right? It doesn't actually exist.

Phelous even admitted it once

Also, yeah I'm thinking more Nova Scotia based on the accent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

an overdue owl posted:

I don't know, I feel like his take is pretty much a perfect antithesis of what makes DHMIS fascinating and compelling. I'm sure he put a lot of effort into it, but this type of analysis rings really false for me. I guess it sort of typifies what I don't really enjoy about Night Mind's videos, this sort of....reaching to present a solution or an answer to pieces of art that don't need to be solved.

yea it's neat to see his view of what it is, but the fact that he presents the answers to ARG stuff and the 'answers' to stuff like DHMIS with the exact same tone and objectiveness bugs me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
On the contrary, I thought his "it's about whatever you think it's about bro" idea with This House Has People In It was a bit of a cop out.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

I can't stand the way he talks, really can't get into the videos.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He has a great voice when narrating, but I swear every time he tries to tell a joke or read a character voice it's just...cringe-y.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just finished the newest OHW. The first thing I think of nowadays when I think of that song is
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3phekp

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Senerio posted:

Just finished the newest OHW. The first thing I think of nowadays when I think of that song is
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3phekp

That is a pro click right there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Errant Signal tackles No Man's Sky.
My god that UI sounds terrible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Are there any good anime reviewers besides Digibro?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bennett is good if you want to look at stuff from the 80s/90s/early 2000s.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Hbomber and Errant Signal are nice perspectives to listen to if only because it gets away from the conversation around the hype of the game. I don't begrudge anybody who is upset because they don't feel like the game was what they were promised, but theirs are the only decent videos I've seen talking about the game rather than the hype.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Deport The Irish posted:

Hbomber and Errant Signal are nice perspectives to listen to if only because it gets away from the conversation around the hype of the game. I don't begrudge anybody who is upset because they don't feel like the game was what they were promised, but theirs are the only decent videos I've seen talking about the game rather than the hype.

I think it was Jim Sterling who made the point (or was where I first heard the point made) that the Hype Machine surrounding NMS is basically the most noteworthy thing about it, and it's arguably the only noteworthy thing.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Deport The Irish posted:

I don't think that's really true! I am obviously biased because I played this game and didn't think it was very good, and I don't think of myself as some person who identifies as a 'gamer' or someone who has anything invested in whether this game was good or not! It's kind of weird being in a position where a bunch of people have been jumping on me saying I must just dislike NMS for complicated idealogical reasons rather than me just disliking it because it wasn't fun! I'm sure there's a bunch of terrible games I love, I don't think I'm the ultimate arbiter of taste at all. It's just weird going into various threads and seeing this opinion that if you don't like NMS you're an obsessive weirdo who doesn't understand art!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2qKAX_QaoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgfxo3CLdNM

I think these videos cover my issues with NMS. It's totally not something specific to NMS either and are just general problems with games! I don't want anyone to be pilloried but it's not a bad thing to talk about what's failing in games. I know Hbomberguy is a cool and smart person but I think he let his preferences get a little bit ahead of himself here. It really is a funny thing to make a video about because of how worked up people are getting but it's also not cool when developers prevaricate so much about what's going to be available in their games. I mean, best case scenario is that no one feels the need to talk about multiplayer etc. and everyone can just be excited for the base game right?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Alacron posted:

I think it was Jim Sterling who made the point (or was where I first heard the point made) that the Hype Machine surrounding NMS is basically the most noteworthy thing about it, and it's arguably the only noteworthy thing.

Related to the hype is the full game price tag. I'm pretty sure Sony pushed for the price tag since they knew it would sell (but I could be wrong so maybe don't quote me on that) but if there are two significant problems the game has it's the UI and the price tag.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh I'm well aware.
Analogy-wise, I'm also now a bit more..immersed in military culture than I was six weeks ago, owing to me doing an episode on a terrible comic about Don't Ask Don't Tell. That led me down a bit of a military rabbit hole and ruined my recommendations everywhere - Youtube now recommends me "WAR" and I keep getting promoted tweets from the Australian Defence Force.

Oh and I also recently watched a glorious and terrible movie about gay navy pilots - yes, it was Top Gun taken to its logical conclusion - so look forward to a review on that when I get the chance! (I suddenly picked up a lot more work at work.)

Yeah, sorry, I've got kind of a one-track mind.

I cracked up at the "OH NOOOO" [me: a comedian] bit. It's hard to make jokes about media that includes sensitive topics!

That comic, Jesus. It's such a perfect lesson in the banality of evil, both in how it illustrates the way dull bureaucracy removes individual agency from human rights violations and in how absolutely dull and boring the comic is in its presentation. It could be a text pamphlet and be exactly the same. Propaganda standards really dropped after the Cold War ended.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Related to the hype is the full game price tag. I'm pretty sure Sony pushed for the price tag since they knew it would sell (but I could be wrong so maybe don't quote me on that) but if there are two significant problems the game has it's the UI and the price tag.

To be honest, I find it really irritating how Sean Mastication danced around features he should have known wouldn't be possible in the end product. But really, even without him awkwardly smiling and giving non answers to stuff. If this game cost like $20 I'd probably not complain. It might seem pathetic to get worked up about tiny lies like this, but for me it's just nice when someone is more open!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Jack Gladney posted:

That comic, Jesus. It's such a perfect lesson in the banality of evil, both in how it illustrates the way dull bureaucracy removes individual agency from human rights violations and in how absolutely dull and boring the comic is in its presentation. It could be a text pamphlet and be exactly the same. Propaganda standards really dropped after the Cold War ended.

It's incredibly hateful - and the fact that it's just dry allegedly-respectful bureaucracy almost makes it worse than if it were just a rabid Jack Chick style screed. Reminds me a bit of those weird internal NSA memos.
Anyway, I thoroughly recommend that anyone who wants to read a military comic just read Terminal Lance instead (and make sure to scroll down and read the notes for each comic.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There are definitely reasons that someone could like No Man's Sky but also plenty of reason why someone wouldn't. It's got very messy design that doesn't seem to know what it's going for and mechanics that are really poorly thought out and conspicuously so.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I barely followed the development of NMS at all, but it did seem weird to me that after all the footage I happened to see focusing on space exploration and action, the actual game is 90% One of Those Steam Survival Games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I started watching NCG videos because this thread kept bringing him up and it'S great. Thanks again thread!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MonsieurChoc posted:

I started watching NCG videos because this thread kept bringing him up and it'S great. Thanks again thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kivtv6wabBk

I think this is probably his best video since he really puts it perfectly about Postal, Hatred, etc and sort of the "genre" of "rear end in a top hat simulator".

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
DStecks, your Sir Billi review on YouTube has a copyright block in the US. Could please you upload it to your Vimeo account I can share it with some of my friends?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

DStecks, your Sir Billi review on YouTube has a copyright block in the US. Could please you upload it to your Vimeo account I can share it with some of my friends?

I've filed a copyright dispute on it, which should be resolved in the next couple of days.

And please don't start with my Sir Billi review. It's so thick with Bad Reviews Lore, and it's a bit of a clumsy dry run for what I'm doing now with the show.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

DStecks posted:

I've filed a copyright dispute on it, which should be resolved in the next couple of days.

And please don't start with my Sir Billi review. It's so thick with Bad Reviews Lore, and it's a bit of a clumsy dry run for what I'm doing now with the show.

Thanks. :) It came up when we saw the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on cable and I had to mention that it was not Sean Connery's last film role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

Thanks. :) It came up when we saw the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on cable and I had to mention that it was not Sean Connery's last film role.

It looks like it should be currently visible during the dispute, if you want to give it a shot.

• Locked thread