Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Detheros posted:

The Papal State is a lot of fun.
Yes definitely.

Is "Kingdom of God" still a trap, or did they change it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I guess it's a trap? With how little I had the curia, though, I won't miss it.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Who has Muscovy early game advice? I'm at 1452, have captured a bit of southern Novgorod as well as the little one provinces inside Muscovy.

There's still a truce until 1462 with Novgorod, so I need something to do in between. I was thinking of vassalizing Kazan next -- they are really weak in this game. Lithuania and Poland are allied and pretty strong, and I've been grooming Sweden to be an ally when it becomes independent, so they don't seem like great options. I've also spent way, way too much admin power on coring provinces, so I'd like to stick to vassal -> annex for awhile so I can eventually tech up.

Also, I have a ton of gold -- like 500 ducats, and an already full army. What can I spend this on which would be useful? It really seems like without the military to dump money into, and when you don't have the tech for any buildings, ducats are kind of useless.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

There's still a truce until 1462 with Novgorod, so I need something to do in between. I was thinking of vassalizing Kazan next -- they are really weak in this game. Lithuania and Poland are allied and pretty strong, and I've been grooming Sweden to be an ally when it becomes independent, so they don't seem like great options. I've also spent way, way too much admin power on coring provinces, so I'd like to stick to vassal -> annex for awhile so I can eventually tech up.

You're probably better off just feeding their land to Perm instead, you can declare on them for reconquest of Perm and take Udmurtia (Uralic culture, same as Perm, so they can convert it to Orthodox easier) and Bashgird (Kazan's gold province) for Perm. Take more if you have the time but those are the two I always make sure Perm gets. If you vassalized Kazan then they'll hate you for force vassalizing them in addition to taking a loyalty penalty for being a horde. If you give it all to Perm instead you may have to look out for a few revolts but they're much easier to handle.

If Poland hasn't taken Danzig for themselves you may want to annex the Livonian Order for yourself (feed them to Pskov, I guess? You can eat them in one war) and get to fabricating on Danzig. Wait until Poland attacks the Teutons again and threaten them for Danzig, since once you hit admin 10 and there's no separatism its a free westernization. Aside from Riga no one is likely to care too much about this.

quote:

Also, I have a ton of gold -- like 500 ducats, and an already full army. What can I spend this on which would be useful? It really seems like without the military to dump money into, and when you don't have the tech for any buildings, ducats are kind of useless.

If you have a surplus like that, you might as well hire a +2 admin guy for a while. If you have the Cossacks you can even hit up your estates for one who's half priced. Temples aren't that great as Muscovy due to patriarch authority eating away at tax income. Might as well just build some marketplaces in important centers and save up for workshops and manufactories later.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You could also just hold onto it as insurance against an invasion by strong neighbours such as Poland/Lithuania, so you can go over your forcelimit with lots of mercs and repel them.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Who has Muscovy early game advice? I'm at 1452, have captured a bit of southern Novgorod as well as the little one provinces inside Muscovy.

Buy trade buildings in centre of trade provinces like Moscow, Novgorod, etc. The tax building is good as an investment too, in provinces that it will give +0.15 and over per month. I'd keep a few hundred ducats as insurance.

Keep an eye out for a vassal that has taken religious ideas so that you can more easily feed them muslim land for them to convert.

Golden Horde can be a pain, especially if they ally with the Ottomans, so keep an eye out for your chance to break them down.

Ottomans can be an ok ally for Moscow at first, if you're worried about Poland and Co. Also any rival of Poland.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Gun straight for Livonian order after Novgorod, feeding your vassal some of their provinces and take Goldingen for yourself. Fabricate on Danzig from Goldingen for the Western focus. At this point I like going muslim because othodox is just plain boring and with Russian national ideas, innovative and lack of piety youre looking at 75% base tech cost.

Colonizing Siberia early and getting the quantity+trade policy for +20% goods produced is another option, although I usually wait with colonizing if im changing religion.

Ducats should be horded early game if you can, if you dont use it on wars now youll have plenty of usefull stuff to build later.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You can always use more mercenaries.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Are there any tips for using mercs? Since EU3 I've just built big army stacks out of regular troops and almost never used mercs because I don't know how to incorporate them into my stacks that are at "max size" regarding supply/combat width/transport fleets.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
Get at least one idea giving you bonus to maintanance. Only get mercenary infantry unless you have some insane set of national ideas(Smolensk are probably the only ones able to field merc cannons reliably). Mercs are identical to non-mercs of the same unit type I think, so are the same in regards to army composition.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Tendronai posted:

If you have a surplus like that, you might as well hire a +2 admin guy for a while. If you have the Cossacks you can even hit up your estates for one who's half priced. Temples aren't that great as Muscovy due to patriarch authority eating away at tax income. Might as well just build some marketplaces in important centers and save up for workshops and manufactories later.

I've been playing through this Muscovy game with Fusion Restaraunt, and I'd agree that we haven't been using vassals enough, which I'm sure is part of the reason we're so low on admin power. Is there a good general rule as to when we should be hitting tech levels, or any particular tech choices that make sense as Muscovy?

There's so many options, and they all seem to be pretty huge investments and I'm not really sure how we ought to have that mapped out.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Trogdos! posted:

Are there any tips for using mercs? Since EU3 I've just built big army stacks out of regular troops and almost never used mercs because I don't know how to incorporate them into my stacks that are at "max size" regarding supply/combat width/transport fleets.

I generally use them if I'm in the middle of a war out of manpower and need a bit more to throw at the enemy. Later in the game when I have the money, I'll also occasionally keep a stack of them to take the front lines before reinforcing quickly with my actual troops to save a bit more manpower.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Trogdos! posted:

Some hard and fast rules for babby's first use of mercenaries:

1. Don't bother building mercenary cavalry or artillery.
2. If you have no manpower issues, don't bother building mercenaries at all.
3. If you are having manpower issues, replace as many of your infantry regiments as you can afford with mercenary infantry.
4. If you have infinite money, make all your infantry regiments mercenaries.

Basically they're a way of converting money into manpower. I kinda think it would be more elegant to just have a "spend money on mercenaries" button you mash to give you more manpower. You could have bad events for having too large a proportion of your army made out of mercenaries.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Interestingly that does match quite well to what France did historically through much of the period, field professional cavalry from their own population then exclusively use mercenary infantry.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Gort posted:

Some hard and fast rules for babby's first use of mercenaries:

1. Don't bother building mercenary cavalry or artillery.
2. If you have no manpower issues, don't bother building mercenaries at all.
3. If you are having manpower issues, replace as many of your infantry regiments as you can afford with mercenary infantry.
4. If you have infinite money, make all your infantry regiments mercenaries.

Basically they're a way of converting money into manpower. I kinda think it would be more elegant to just have a "spend money on mercenaries" button you mash to give you more manpower. You could have bad events for having too large a proportion of your army made out of mercenaries.

Also:

5. Building mercs is best for emergency situations at war, regardless of cost, because they build much more quickly (but still should probably only be used for infantry).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

foutre posted:

I've been playing through this Muscovy game with Fusion Restaraunt, and I'd agree that we haven't been using vassals enough, which I'm sure is part of the reason we're so low on admin power. Is there a good general rule as to when we should be hitting tech levels, or any particular tech choices that make sense as Muscovy?

There's so many options, and they all seem to be pretty huge investments and I'm not really sure how we ought to have that mapped out.

When playing Western/Eastern tech countries, you basically want to be unlocking techs within a few years of the 'design year' (the year where you pay ahead-of-time penalties if you unlock them before that). However the UI doesn't actually tell you what year that is for each tech, so really you just want to make sure you're not way behind your neighbours. Instead, focus on keeping on the cutting edge of military tech (you can wait till you have a -5% discount from neighbour bonus), and then keep your admin tech within two levels to avoid corruption.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

When playing Western/Eastern tech countries, you basically want to be unlocking techs within a few years of the 'design year' (the year where you pay ahead-of-time penalties if you unlock them before that). However the UI doesn't actually tell you what year that is for each tech, so really you just want to make sure you're not way behind your neighbours. Instead, focus on keeping on the cutting edge of military tech (you can wait till you have a -5% discount from neighbour bonus), and then keep your admin tech within two levels to avoid corruption.

What is the neighbor bonus? We do have a massive mil point stockpile, so are getting closer to military upgrades.

This is a dumb question, but is there an easy way to check the tech level of other nations en masse?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
is it still possible to get a byzantium game off the ground? i want to go for the basileus cheevo but previous strategies like over-the-limit galleys and/or a poland alliance dont seem to be working for me

What is the neighbor bonus?

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Technology#Neighbor_bonus

This is a dumb question, but is there an easy way to check the tech level of other nations en masse?

technology mapmode

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

is it still possible to get a byzantium game off the ground? i want to go for the basileus cheevo but previous strategies like over-the-limit galleys and/or a poland alliance dont seem to be working for me

Yup I just did a run recently. Ally Hungary and the Balkans, keep your troops in allied territory on your border until the Ottos invade or are at war with someone else and you declare. The combined armies of the three of you are enough to win. Here's the guide I followed, although my run diverged fairly quickly as the Ottos invaded early https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/basileus-1-17-guide.946894/

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 21, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jsor posted:

Also:

5. Building mercs is best for emergency situations at war, regardless of cost, because they build much more quickly (but still should probably only be used for infantry).

One more thing I would point out about mercs is they can be built in occupied enemy territory. Combined with their fast build speed, that means they're very useful for quickly reinforcing your armies on the front lines.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Thanks for this. I am stunningly bad at figuring out good google search terms to find out wtf is going on in this game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh yeah, and Western Arms Trade is super awesome too. -10% tech cost for having a western neighbour you have >150 relations with. As Muscovy you generally want that to be Sweden (if only so they won't ally with Pol-Lit), the Livonian Order works too, but you'll probably just wipe them out pretty quick.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So I am coming back to have a funsy save and I want to do an Omega-France run which I become holy roman emperor, but without blobbing (historic French borders + colonies + vassals make it enough of a powerhouse). I did manage to become emperor once by total accident, but I have no idea how to do it again. Ideas?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

foutre posted:

Tangentially related to tech, but definitely good advice for any Muscovy player, my favorite opening in terms of ideas is to take Religious first, grab Deus Vult, then rush to tech 7 to take Diplomatic ideas. You rush for Deus Vult because by the time you can first take it there's pretty decent odds you're the last independent Orthodox country in the game, which means you have a CB on all your neighbors whenever convenient for you. Once you have both idea groups filled out you can flip to a Theocracy, which means you'll never have a regency again along with a ton of other nice perks. Taking them both right off and rushing though them means you'll probably have over 300 years of always being able to attack in any direction if someone looks weak, which is roughly as overpowered as it sounds.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Making sure Austria gets murdered seems like a good start. Going protestant if most of the other potential candidates are catholic or vice versa and trying to get the league war to turn out in your favor also will probably help.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006

Transmetropolitan posted:

So I am coming back to have a funsy save and I want to do an Omega-France run which I become holy roman emperor, but without blobbing (historic French borders + colonies + vassals make it enough of a powerhouse). I did manage to become emperor once by total accident, but I have no idea how to do it again. Ideas?
Dip rep and prestige advisor, ally as many electors you can and declare on the emperor when he is old, hopefully hell die while still at war with your elector alliance and you can simply add Champagne and Paris to the Empire to get rid of the non-member malus.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I don't see why not. I didn't do it that long ago, though I think it was last xpack. Still, I don't think Mare Nostrum changed anything enough to make it impossible. (And I've also seen a timelapse of somebody doing it on 1.16) Keep in mind that getting good starting alliances involves a lot of luck. You probably need to restart the game several times to get a good opening, but after that it's not too bad. You might lose a war or two to the Ottomans, but as long as it's not your FIRST war with them, you can usually bounce back. I'd caution against angering Hungary too early, though. I did it in desperation when I felt boxed in to get more land and really regretted it. Fighting two separate wars against the Ottomans and Hungary when you're a mid-tier power at best is not a fun time. Quantity Ideas early is probably a must, but you have to balance ideas with tech for tactics levels.

I still have a personal goal of forming the Roman Empire with Byzantium, but I don't know if I can handle that many Byzantium runs, and you have to blob a bit before you can abuse PU mechanics (which are still luck based anyway), which I think you'd have to do to annex Europe fast enough as Byz.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 22, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The key to an easy Byzantium victory is restart until Poland and Hungary aren't rivals and Poland rivals the ottos. Ally with both and wait. They will attack you or ten years later use your favors to launch an assault yourself. You still might lose as the AI is dumb but it's your best shot.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

The key to an easy Byzantium victory is restart until Poland and Hungary aren't rivals and Poland rivals the ottos. Ally with both and wait. They will attack you or ten years later use your favors to launch an assault yourself. You still might lose as the AI is dumb but it's your best shot.

You'd need more than 10 years if you're going to use favours, you won't be getting them at 1/year with Hungary and Poland as tiny Byzantium. The guide I linked says to promise land if the Ottos don't invade you first.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Thanks for the byz advice, fellas. I'll try and get a run going and see what happens.

Unrelated gripe: I hadn't played too much since before the changes to espionage, and I honestly feel like the way it is now kinda sucks. My AI rivals just constantly spam discontent, sabotage reputation, and corrupt officials. Counterespionage is a worthless defense so the most I can do is just do it back to them. It's silly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wafflecopper posted:

You'd need more than 10 years if you're going to use favours, you won't be getting them at 1/year with Hungary and Poland as tiny Byzantium. The guide I linked says to promise land if the Ottos don't invade you first.

That works sometimes but not always. Poland usually doesn't have a border to get land. Though I am usually able to hit them at the ten year mark, maybe a year later.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

I got lucky and managed this first try in the Byzantium campaign I did recently.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
[quote="Deutsch Nozzle" post=""464514326"]
Unrelated gripe: I hadn't played too much since before the changes to espionage, and I honestly feel like the way it is now kinda sucks. My AI rivals just constantly spam discontent, sabotage reputation, and corrupt officials. Counterespionage is a worthless defense so the most I can do is just do it back to them. It's silly.
[/quote]

I mostly hate the constant micromanaging spy networks for claims. I set it and then if i forget to grab my claims right away I'm kicked out and have a timer before I have the pleasure to start over so i can forget again

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

Oh yeah, and Western Arms Trade is super awesome too. -10% tech cost for having a western neighbour you have >150 relations with. As Muscovy you generally want that to be Sweden (if only so they won't ally with Pol-Lit), the Livonian Order works too, but you'll probably just wipe them out pretty quick.
That seems smart, I think this would be doable. At the moment Sweden is allied to us, but they are also allied to Lithuania, and we just finished eating up the Levonian order. Screwed up feeding the provinces to Perm though, by starting to Annex Perm before the war was over.

Also, how bad is it to have too many diplomatic relations and see the diplomacy penalty? All our little vassals mean we permanently are near our cap. We will probably kill Novgorod soon, but not sure what to do with all of the provinces. We could try feeding them to Pvosk and then annexing them? Just not sure what the most cost effective way to conquer them is. Maybe we should just kill our one country vassal to free up the spot?

Tendronai posted:

Tangentially related to tech, but definitely good advice for any Muscovy player, my favorite opening in terms of ideas is to take Religious first, grab Deus Vult, then rush to tech 7 to take Diplomatic ideas. You rush for Deus Vult because by the time you can first take it there's pretty decent odds you're the last independent Orthodox country in the game, which means you have a CB on all your neighbors whenever convenient for you. Once you have both idea groups filled out you can flip to a Theocracy, which means you'll never have a regency again along with a ton of other nice perks. Taking them both right off and rushing though them means you'll probably have over 300 years of always being able to attack in any direction if someone looks weak, which is roughly as overpowered as it sounds.
This seems good! Does it make it impossible to Westernize though? (I know nothing about this)

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
In this spain game I'm almost done with, I'm rivaled by five other nations. They have near-constantly daisy-chained the sabotaged reputation effect on me ever since they hit diplo 21. "Press build Spy Network, wait a bit, press XYZ covert action" is too easy to do in proportion to the huge penalties they inflict.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you feel you are getting a good income of diplo points even with penalties I don't see anything wrong with going one or two relations over the cap, though ideally you want to be bringing that number down periodically with annexations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

In this spain game I'm almost done with, I'm rivaled by five other nations. They have near-constantly daisy-chained the sabotaged reputation effect on me ever since they hit diplo 21. "Press build Spy Network, wait a bit, press XYZ covert action" is too easy to do in proportion to the huge penalties they inflict.
Seems right

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

This seems good! Does it make it impossible to Westernize though? (I know nothing about this)

No, you can westernize if you neighbor a western nation's province and you are a total of >=10 techs behind them, iirc.

I think you can also westernize by decision if you take danzig, vienna, or one other one?

Edit : correction, it's 7 total techs behind for the long process. If you're eastern you can instantly westernize if you take danzig or krakow or if anatolian, vienna or prague

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 22, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

ImPureAwesome posted:

No, you can westernize if you neighbor a western nation's province and you are a total of >=10 techs behind them, iirc.

I think you can also westernize by decision if you take danzig, vienna, or one other one?

Yeah, iirc we were going for Danzig, and prepped a route to the Teutonic Order via the Livonians. Just really far off from a high enough tech level thanks to irresponsible admin power spending.

I think part of the issue might just be that I spend a lot of time pausing and thinking about stuff /figuring out how various systems work. Over like 6-ish hours we've made it 10 years. That'll presumably speed up as things get more familiar.

Tendronai posted:

Tangentially related to tech, but definitely good advice for any Muscovy player, my favorite opening in terms of ideas is to take Religious first, grab Deus Vult, then rush to tech 7 to take Diplomatic ideas.

This sounds really cool. The whole ideas section is a bit overwhelming, having a clear strategy would definitely help. It's been hard to figure out what to prioritize, there's just so many options.

It's been fun so far though, I love how making making mistakes just leads to more interesting situations. I. E. : we were hoping to get on Sweden's good side, to give us a clear shot at Lithuania later. So we supported their bid for independence. Lithuania, our longtime rivals, were supporting them as well but we figured we could strategically leave them out to hang if we ended up fighting together.

When war broke out we only had one coastal province and no sailors, so our armies marched 6 months through Lithuania, and two smaller Danish aligned foes, to strike towards the Danish core. Meanwhile, Lithuania marched all the way around through our territory to reinforce Stockholm.

Both smaller members of the Danish alliance sued for peace after we occupied them (and we learned the hard way that just because you seiged them etc., as a junior partner in the war that doesn't mean you'll necessarily get anything in the peace deal).

Frustrated by Sweden's stinginess, and fairly certain that the combined forces of Lithuania and Sweden could mop up the remnants of greater Denmark, we sued for peace.

And ended up only getting the very smallest island, since all the others were still near forts.

Having spent 4 years and 10,000 lives, we retreated.

Now, ~5 years later, Sweden seems to have started losing again somehow, our tiny island colony has been blockaded by the Livonians for most of its short life and is ready to rebel and form small Denmark (we still have no naval technology or sailors so they're pretty much on their own) and Lithuania appears to have gobbled up a good number of the small principalities to it's west over the course of the war.

Denmark and Lithuania are stronger than before, and once they make peace there's a very real danger they'll turn east. I just spent 3 hours digging myself into a hole, and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

That seems smart, I think this would be doable. At the moment Sweden is allied to us, but they are also allied to Lithuania, and we just finished eating up the Levonian order. Screwed up feeding the provinces to Perm though, by starting to Annex Perm before the war was over.
Depending how much time is left on the annexation, Perm may have time to core the provinces you gave them.

quote:

Also, how bad is it to have too many diplomatic relations and see the diplomacy penalty? All our little vassals mean we permanently are near our cap. We will probably kill Novgorod soon, but not sure what to do with all of the provinces. We could try feeding them to Pvosk and then annexing them? Just not sure what the most cost effective way to conquer them is. Maybe we should just kill our one country vassal to free up the spot?
It's a penalty of one dip a month to be over the cap, so its not a big deal short term but you should probably eat the small vassals. Feeding the rest of Novogord to Pskov is a good idea, just be warned that if they go over 100 dev then they'll take a loyalty hit. Ideally you get them to somewhere close to that and take the rest yourself.

quote:

There's nothing that stops you from westernizing, you just have to meet the requirements (be seven techs total behind and border someone western). Taking Danzig and westernizing for free is far easier, though.

• Locked thread