Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

kawaii af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

My wife mentioned wanting to go to a zoo while we're out there, Ueno zoo a good one to visit in addition to the other things in the park or any other standouts in Tokyo area?

It was closed when I was there not long ago. Renovations and heat I guess. I would check on it's status and make sure it's not partially closed at least.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Is Ueno park otherwise a decent place to go for a park visit or should we stick with the imperial garden tour and the surrounding park?

The whole Ueno area is great.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

The bird sanctuary in Kakegawa rules, it's a bunch of huge open interconnected greenhouses and outdoor areas that flocks of birds just freely fly around in and if you feed them treats you'll just be covered in birds on your arms and shoulders. The entrance has some pens that seem depressing at first but it's just because they're nocturnal birds who are napping. The greenhouses have ponds filled with plant and animal life and I wonder if the birds eat from those too, they seems like an entire thing on its own that people were taking tons of pictures of.

They also do educational shows with the birds and they seem to be different throughout the day with different species so they all get a break, and if you spend a whole day there you can check them all out. I spent so much money on bird snacks for all the various types of birds. I've always dreamed of frolicking with the emus and it was everything I wished for it to be and more. I stumbled on the place completely by accident on a rainy day and it ended up being one of the highlights of my trip.

That looks cool!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I got my medical waiver and was working on my customs form online, having never done this (bringing medicine that is banned in that country), do I need to claim I am bringing prohibited items and then show my medical form or just mark no? I have a medication that is banned in Japan I'm bringing in for personal use.

"(1) Narcotic drugs, stimulants, marijuana, psychotropic substances, MDMA, designated drugs."

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
You can fill it either way --- yes to be safe, but make sure you enter the red lane (items to declare lane) and hand them the medical waiver (thereby effectively making the declaration). No need to show customs form for immigration.

JP customs is very kind (although often procedural) when you are actually trying to follow the rules.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ok thank you. I’ll do that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Customs was easy for my friend with adhd meds a couple of years ago. He sent in the application over the internet, got the form emailed back a day or two later, printed it out, and showed it at the declaration lane as described above. It was a whopping 5 minutes longer for him to get through than the rest of us with nothing to declare.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bring double and share them with me

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The Suica shortage is some real chaos here right now. Also Visa is blocking foreign cards from registering Suicas so I can’t even use the app. Some say Mastercard and Amex work though.

Just a FYI for anyone coming in the next few weeks

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ay caramba

If Suica app is wonky try Pasmo, or Icoca*

I have not tried this advice because I have stacks Suica cards and JP credit cards

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

peanut posted:

Ay caramba

If Suica app is wonky try Pasmo, or Icoca*

I have not tried this advice because I have stacks Suica cards and JP credit cards

I’m here for a while if I could borrow yours :p

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

cheese eats mouse posted:

I’m here for a while if I could borrow yours :p

That would be an awfully long trip.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I keep them bundled with cable ties and beep 15 cards on the gate at once

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Osaka and non jr east area is fine to get ic cards :( good excuse to fly into Osaka

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
We're visiting in just over two weeks so I'll have to learn about these cards. It's just like a subway card in NYC?

Also I have two chair seat D sumo tickets I'm looking to sell on Saturday 9/23. Face value is 3500 yen each. I bought them at the same time as I got our preferred day through a proxy so no longer need them. Please spread the word and ideally PM me if interested.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KingKapalone posted:

We're visiting in just over two weeks so I'll have to learn about these cards. It's just like a subway card in NYC?

Yes. The systems are linked so it works on just about every form of public transit in the country. Shinkansen is an exception, as well as, for some reason, the Kagoshima trams. I'm sure there are a few other legacy systems out there too but if you're in the standard Tokyo/Kansai tourism region you'll be able to use it for everything.

Sometimes you also need a second paper ticket on intercity trains but you can buy that from the conductor on board if it's required.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

KingKapalone posted:

Bring a Mastercard or Amex. Once you’re in Japan you can register for a digital one using Apple wallet or as other people mentioned Passmo also in wallet. It looked like physical Passmos are also endangered

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

They do have some kind of "tourist cards" for Suica and Pasmo advertised right now. They are only valid for 4 weeks from purchase and I'm not sure exactly how they work, but at least they have a solution if you can't get/use an on-phone virtual card.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

They work the same but you have to have a foreign passport to get it and you can't refund any remaining balance when you're done with it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmfao they're going for $30 US on eBay right now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fuji-Q Highland is a pretty cool place so far.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Except how drat slow they are to process ticketing, boarding and safety checks at the attractions.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

Bring a Mastercard or Amex. Once you’re in Japan you can register for a digital one using Apple wallet or as other people mentioned Passmo also in wallet. It looked like physical Passmos are also endangered

We have Amex, but only my wife has an iPhone. Can I use Google Pay?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My guess would be that as long as the actual GPay funding source is AMEX, (presumably) Mastercard, or a Japanese-issued VISA then I doubt you'll have an issue reloading a Suica in your google wallet.

(i'm speaking to the funding source being usable conceptually, not the actual logistics of using suica on a google phone which I can't vouch for)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 6, 2023

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

My guess would be that as long as the actual GPay funding source is AMEX, (presumably) Mastercard, or a Japanese-issued VISA then I doubt you'll have an issue reloading a Suica in your google wallet.

(i'm speaking to the funding source being usable conceptually, not the actual logistics of using suica on a google phone which I can't vouch for)

As far as I know, unless you have a Japanese phone, only iPhones can get the mobile cards. Non-Japanese Android phones don't work with it at this time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it all depends on whether your Android phone has a FeliCa-compatible NFC chip which is hit or miss, whereas Apple has shipped FeliCa compliant NFC since the iPhone 8.

I'm using a lot of terms I don't understand based on five minutes of googling so sorry if I am saying something absolutely ridiculous :haw:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks. Looks like my S21 doesn't have it and neither does my fitbit charge 5.

If I can't get a physical one and can't use a digital one, what do I do? The JR East website makes it sound like you can still get one at the airport.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks. Looks like my S21 doesn't have it and neither does my fitbit charge 5.

If I can't get a physical one and can't use a digital one, what do I do? The JR East website makes it sound like you can still get one at the airport.

Paper tickets baybeeeee

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You can still get the tourist Suica card that doesn't require a deposit but automatically expires in 28 days and you can't get the balance refunded so you need to make sure you use up all the balance before you leave or within 28 days whichever comes first.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Find the nearest Hard Off and get a Japanese smartphone to load that mobile Suica onto.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

Find the nearest Hard Off and get a Japanese smartphone to load that mobile Suica onto.

but how can you leave the airport and get to a Hard Off without a Suica....:thunk:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

harperdc posted:

Paper tickets baybeeeee

RETVRN to hope you bought the right paper ticket for the right train company motherfucker

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also I really don't understand how it makes sense to issue cards that have a limited validity period but also no deposit or requirement to return for recycling/reuse, if the core issue is supply problems for the cards.
If the cards are in short supply, shouldn't they instead make a system where you rent the cards and return them when going home? Or is there an issue with scalpers or other kinds of undercutting?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

harperdc posted:

but how can you leave the airport and get to a Hard Off without a Suica....:thunk:

Guess you will just need to live there like Tom Hanks.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

nielsm posted:

Also I really don't understand how it makes sense to issue cards that have a limited validity period but also no deposit or requirement to return for recycling/reuse, if the core issue is supply problems for the cards.
If the cards are in short supply, shouldn't they instead make a system where you rent the cards and return them when going home? Or is there an issue with scalpers or other kinds of undercutting?

The tourist cards were printed for the Olympics and we all know how that turned out so they have a lot of unused old stock.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Just buy paper tickets how is this a problem

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Grand Fromage posted:

hope you bought the right paper ticket for the right train company motherfucker

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I assume the op can figure out how to plan a route and buy a ticket which matches that route. If you're really stuck just buy the cheapest ticket then fix it up at the machine when you get off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. And as long as you have your phone, you can use google maps for directions which also tell you how much the tickets cost. It's not as convenient but it's completely normal to use the ticket machines. I did find my first 3 or 4 trips before I realized I could buy a suica.