Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

eke out posted:

who cares about how tracking works it's literally always a narrative contrivance

it's not about the mechanics of the tracking, it's about the effect of the lazy, lovely, poorly thought out dialogue on the characters doing the tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it's not about the mechanics of the tracking, it's about the effect of the lazy, lovely, poorly thought out dialogue on the characters doing the tracking.

it has no effect on the characters because it simply does not matter except to mad nerds online

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

eke out posted:

who cares about how tracking works it's literally always a narrative contrivance
No one cares about how tracking works. We're pointing out how laughable the writing is.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The how isn't important. It's important that the resolution they gave, makes Lan looks dumb in a way he shouldn't, and Nyn gets retroactively made to look less competent since she didn't actually follow the super good warder. she followed something that we know from the sequence of events she shouldn't have had a chance to, and Lan now wasn't as good at his job as he should be.

It weakens both of them for a narrative contrivance. the contrivance isn't really the issue. This is also a really tiny thing to pick at realistically speaking, its a why its nearly a throwaway line and the actual how isn't given any time because it is, as noted, not actually important. It's all of about 10 seconds of screen time after a valuable moment for them.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 27, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Listen, Moiraine REALLY loves sunflower seeds and Lan has just been too polite to tell her that she's leaving trails of them wherever she goes.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

And on another note, the idea that Rafe and the writers with involvement from Harriet don't care for or understand the source material enough is laughable at best.
Harriet isn't hugely involved according to Sanderson.
I think people need to understand that the fact someone who's adapting a book says they care a lot about the source material, is not data either way as to whether they are competent at adapting the book.

Dingleberry2 posted:

I think the whole things falls apart if you think about it too hard. If she was tracking her, then how did she find them in the first place when Moiraine was getting carried on horse both in and out of Shadar Logoth?

Hahahaha oh dear, I'd forgotten about that. That is very dumb of them 🤦‍♂️

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

El Grillo posted:

There have been some comments that Maria also consulted on specific scenes (the taren ferry scene at least).

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nynaeve actually meant Aldieb has a tell (the tell being she is a horse)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"What's the secret?"
"Follow the horse"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

El Grillo posted:

I think people need to understand that the fact someone who's adapting a book says they care a lot about the source material, is not data either way as to whether they are competent at adapting the book.

I'm not disputing people's opinions at whether or not they're doing well at adapting, just the idea that the creators don't care or understand the books.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Listen, Moiraine REALLY loves sunflower seeds and Lan has just been too polite to tell her that she's leaving trails of them wherever she goes.

It's that secret tabac habit that she's hiding from LAN. He thought she kicked it and was weirded out when she masked their bond for the first time in two years.

Speaking of, I haven't heard anyone mention Two Rivers tabac, the showrunners really DGAF.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

A new Tigraine interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=milybYFq0uo

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

silvergoose posted:

I'm not disputing people's opinions at whether or not they're doing well at adapting, just the idea that the creators don't care or understand the books.

Yeah this is the most stupid loving thing that gets parroted around and it's legitimately insane on it's face. Yes, the guy that literally finished the series, the guy that grew up with the series as a foundational building block of his childhood, and *RJ'S Wife* don't care about or understand the books. Like, just lmao forever.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Pleads posted:

Nynaeve actually meant Aldieb has a tell (the tell being she is a horse)

Data Graham posted:

"What's the secret?"
"Follow the horse"
Thanks for the tip Nynaeve!
* Lans heads back to Tar Valon (where they left Aldieb before heading into the ways), instead of into the Blight.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah this is the most stupid loving thing that gets parroted around and it's legitimately insane on it's face. Yes, the guy that literally finished the series, the guy that grew up with the series as a foundational building block of his childhood, and *RJ'S Wife* don't care about or understand the books. Like, just lmao forever.

They didn't write the scripts. They were consulted. I don't think I've seen anyone say that Brandon Sanderson or Harriet don't care about the books.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Sanderson and Harriett don't have as much involvement as you think, and nobody's questioning whether or not they care about it. To the extent that Sanderson's available, I think the show should utilize him a lot more/Amazon should back up a truck full of money until he's more available. He basically just gave notes on some scripts, but didn't even do that for the last two episodes because of the troubled production schedule.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Sanderson and Harriett don't have as much involvement as you think, and nobody's questioning whether or not they care about it. To the extent that Sanderson's available, I think the show should utilize him a lot more/Amazon should back up a truck full of money until he's more available. He basically just gave notes on some scripts, but didn't even do that for the last two episodes because of the troubled production schedule.

That's because the scripts he did consult on were re-written because of covid and Barney Harris leaving the show.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Whole lotta strawmen being thrown around ITT to defend bad writing.

"lmao only mad nerds online care about that" is not a good argument.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
or "you can't know it's a bad change until you've watched all 8 seasons" lol

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 27, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Bullet Proof posted:

or "you can't know it's a bad change until you've watched all 8 seasons" lol

This one at least has some legs to it. Maybe we don't like a change now, but if it pays out later it could actually be good.

It's fair to criticize the show runners for changes we can't see the point of, it's also fair to say "I haven't really seen enough knowing the length and scope of the story to really say if it is or isn't".

That said every change can't keep falling into that zone or the good will, will evaporate.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
How much of the poor writing is down to writers who are bad, or down to studio interference/dictation (like the focus groups + analytics + money people + anybody with an interest in the production with an opinion at Amazon).

I'm thinking about Rafe quotes and how Amazon know the interests and reading preferences of the audience, and 11,000 notes on the first episode.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

IMDB update today. We have some cast for episode 2.1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14687506/?ref_=ttep_ep1

Notables include Elayne and Ingtar. I'm sure this will change or be expanded but it's just wild to see these season 2 faces on the IMDB, especially considering we don't even know what roles O'Keeffe and Meera Syal are playing yet.

It also says: episode airs 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is there any indication at all of which half of '22?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is there any indication at all of which half of '22?

It’s probably in November since LOTR on Prime premieres on September 2. I’m sure they don’t want them to compete with each other so season two of WoT will probably air after season one of LOTR.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dear Eelfinn, please put me in sleep until November, TIA

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The real question that season 1 doesn't answer is what happened to Bela.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Haha, look at this poo poo- they had to commit to five seasons with the Tolkein estate. What if they blow it, the show sucks and the book nerds rage out?

what to watch posted:

We now know that the first season of Amazon's Lord of the Rings TV series will be 8 episodes long.

The terms of Amazon's deal with the Tolkien Estate included a five-season commitment, and the second series of the show has already been given the green light and is set to enter production soon.

https://www.whattowatch.com/watching-guides/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-cast-release-date-and-everything-you-need-to-know

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

Haha, look at this poo poo- they had to commit to five seasons with the Tolkein estate. What if they blow it, the show sucks and the book nerds rage out?

https://www.whattowatch.com/watching-guides/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-cast-release-date-and-everything-you-need-to-know

Tolkien rn:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It appears the showrunners have never made a TV show before

the av club posted:

A pair of J.J. Abrams-adjacent screenwriters best known for writing the script that reportedly got tossed out in favor of Simon Pegg and Doug Jung’s for Star Trek Beyond, have been named as showrunners for the Tolkien-based show. And although they’ve been writing together for years—including on a number of Bad Robot productions that never saw the light of day—the duo has never written anything that’s actually been produced in Hollywood.

https://www.avclub.com/amazons-new-lord-of-the-rings-showrunners-have-never-ma-1836756699

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Good lord. Thats a punt.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I'm . .. not exactly optimistic about the Tolkien show.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Collateral posted:

How much of the poor writing is down to writers who are bad, or down to studio interference/dictation (like the focus groups + analytics + money people + anybody with an interest in the production with an opinion at Amazon).

I'm thinking about Rafe quotes and how Amazon know the interests and reading preferences of the audience, and 11,000 notes on the first episode.

i don't think it's worth wondering about this stuff personally. the final product needs to stand on its own merits, it's not like we're ever going to see the supposedly better version.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

exmarx posted:

i don't think it's worth wondering about this stuff personally. the final product needs to stand on its own merits, it's not like we're ever going to see the supposedly better version.

I think the "wonder" is basically "is the next season going to be more like the last two episodes of this season, more like the first six episodes of this season, or better or worse than that."

Overall it was a good show so far and did well, it just didn't stick the landing (for various reasons). Signs point to that being due to one-off circumstances but we'll see in season 2. I'm glad the show was already renewed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder if Rand will spot the Tower of Ghenjei on his wild wacky adventures next season

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i thought the writing + direction was consistent throughout (not great), but i didn't mind during the first 4 eps because they were compelling enough . hopefully season 2 can recapture that.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hexel posted:

Notables include Elayne and Ingtar. I'm sure this will change or be expanded but it's just wild to see these season 2 faces on the IMDB, especially considering we don't even know what roles O'Keeffe and Meera Syal are playing yet.

My money's on Lanfear and Verin respectively.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gully Foyle posted:

My money's on Lanfear and Verin respectively.

:hmmyes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They'd make a good Lanfear and Verin that's for sure.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I somehow missed these two epic images in the x-ray shiz, they must've had them actually face off in the eye and then used cgi to make them seem illusory :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
That's bananas.
In fairness though, I would not have looked at Rafe's CV and immediately thought here is the guy to run a very expensive, sprawling epic fantasy adaptation of the most voluminous book series of all time lol.

Is a lot of modern TV production like this? I mean there is a vast amount of streaming content demand out there so I guess I've assumed that that's why you get people like D&D on GoT, studios have to take a punt on new faces like that because the industry has expanded a lot to meet demand so most people are new faces. But this is literally just my meandering thoughts, is that at all reflective of the reality of the industry at present?

One thing I've noted is that season 1 GoT seems to have used a few seriously heavyweight type TV directors with credits on things like The Sopranos and West Wing, Boardwalk Empire etc. And they had Martin helping them write episodes, and another writer who was seriously experienced (worked on Buffy and a load of big shows). Also Benniof had had quite a successful writing career, including two well received novels and the screenplay for the Spike Lee adaptation of one, plus screenplay for the Kite Runner and two big Hollywood movies (Troy, and Stay; neither brilliant).
By contrast WoT's first season directors are very mixed, some have experience on big shows but none are quite as standout. The guy who directed those messy last two episodes has only really done UK series before which seems like a pretty different thing maybe to a big American epic fantasy series with huge set pieces like Tarwin's Gap.

Perhaps more revealingly, almost all of the writers on WoT have very very little on their CV, and the head honcho has the majority of his writing experience on Chuck, a show which I actually loved but which had pretty terrible writing for basically all its run after season 2, and most especially for the latter seasons which got notoriously bad and for which Rafe was not only writer but also story editor and then executive story editor. I got chewed out by the thread for bringing that up prior to the series premiere but given the deficiencies in the quality of the writing etc in the show so far, I do think it's relevant.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 28, 2021