Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

GutBomb posted:

What the gently caress is a wake lock?

I've never babied my phone's battery and I manage to keep a charge all day and plug it in at night.

Good for you. Like you, I too sometimes feel the need to tell complete strangers inane facts about my life for no reason. I had chicken for lunch today.

Sometimes apps need to connect to a server, say to update the local temperature on a time/weather widget or something. If the screen is off, and the phone is in a sleeping state, it'll wake the phone up to do what it needs to, then go back to sleep. Sometimes apps go crazy with this sort of thing, and will keep the phone awake 24/7, which can murder your battery. This is called a wake lock. Eliminating these when/if they crop up can be difficult now that you need root to view in depth battery reporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I know some people don't like greenify but I've been using it for over a year on my SGS4 and prevents even gameloft games from sending notifications/reminders while sleeping wich is extra nice and ends saving battery in my experience. I had a wakelock on my Galaxy S (wich is my alarm clock) and thank god for being a paranoid and having an actual analog clock that woke me up, after that even that device has greenify.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I know some people don't like greenify but I've been using it for over a year on my SGS4 and prevents even gameloft games from sending notifications/reminders while sleeping wich is extra nice and ends saving battery in my experience. I had a wakelock on my Galaxy S (wich is my alarm clock) and thank god for being a paranoid and having an actual analog clock that woke me up, after that even that device has greenify.

I'll second this. The overall consensus is to not use battery tender applications, but in this case, Greenify is a godsend if you happen to have anything installed that goes nuts whenever it feels like. I tend to keep GPS, Wifi, and Networks turned off when I'm not using them, and apps tend to go haywire when I they can't connect to whatever bullshit service they need while my phone is sleeping. Greenify lets me pick and choose which apps to keep dormant, and in my experience, that helps a lot.

Of course this could all be placebo and I could be absolutely wrong about this. With that said, I can go a full two days without a recharge on my SG4, with moderate every few hours use, and that works for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tjones posted:

Greenify is a godsend if you happen to have anything installed that goes nuts whenever it feels like.
Golly, I wonder why app makers keep making apps that don't behave? I wonder if it has something to do with people not uninstalling the apps?

tjones posted:

I tend to keep GPS, Wifi, and Networks turned off when I'm not using them
Then again if users are going to janitor their phones into uselessness then I guess it only makes sense that some would want to automate it.

Still, it would seem that if you A) didn't install things that don't work properly, you could B) not have to cripple your device. Or you could look at it that if you B) didn't cripple your device then A) apps would work properly.

I do like that the both the cause, the problem, the solution, and the rationalization are not only circular but self-contained. :)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Boot into recovery and wipe data?

Thanks for the help man it worked.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Golly, I wonder why app makers keep making apps that don't behave? I wonder if it has something to do with people not uninstalling the apps?
Then again if users are going to janitor their phones into uselessness then I guess it only makes sense that some would want to automate it.

Still, it would seem that if you A) didn't install things that don't work properly, you could B) not have to cripple your device. Or you could look at it that if you B) didn't cripple your device then A) apps would work properly.

I do like that the both the cause, the problem, the solution, and the rationalization are not only circular but self-contained. :)

Yep. I don't micromanage my ram/running processes too much. I keep a close eye on what's running when there's a problem, but let it do its thing otherwise.

I do force dead trigger to stay resident and kick it out of ram manually, though, since android likes to kick it out of ram after about 2 seconds of screen off time, losing mission progress in the process.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 6, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

This argument has merit, but what do you do when there's an app that you use very frequently and it's the app that does what you want? It's either janitor your phone or don't get useful functionality out of it.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I love that people are condescending about this.

Exactly why would I want poo poo running if I have no use for it?

I don't janitor my phone. I turn off things I don't need when I no longer need them. Greenify works on its own once you have it set up to hibernate the apps you want.

The only thing I do is turn on GPS/wifi/data when I need it, or have Tasker do it automatically for me most of the time.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

tjones posted:

I don't janitor my phone
[...]
The only thing I do is turn on GPS/wifi/data when I need it, or have Tasker do it automatically for me most of the time.

To be fair, this is like exactly what people mean when they say janitoring your phone. Throw in manually clearing RAM and flashing CM nightlies and you'd be doing it all. To give you some perspective, on any modern phone you shouldn't have any problems leaving wifi, data, and GPS always on, you just don't need to do that. If anything, you could be causing problems with apps that may not gracefully handle running on a dumbphone and being unable to ping data or GPS when they try to. E: Ha, just reread your post up there. Yeah, you would probably get better battery life if you kept stuff like data on, let your apps behave how they expect to be able to behave, and didn't have something like Greenify constantly running.

I also don't really get the condescension, but it's just something you shouldn't worry about or bother yourself to monitor. If you're trying to save battery at work where you get no signal or something, sure, makes sense, but if you're constantly turning off all these services when you're not actively using them, you're being a little silly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's easy to get mad at people who overall make apps worse by keeping the apps and janitoring their phones rather than reviewing and uninstalling.

Of course, sometimes there is no alternative because (social benefits of uninstalling and reviewing) < (app functionality) + (effort spent janitoring).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So the point of everyone is either let the apps that I like to use murder my battery when I'm not using my phone or just uninstall them because the developer sucks. I like soundcloud and the app is nice but I don't want it to remind me of new stuff every 20 mins so I let greenify just hibernate it (soundcloud is an example). I also like to run msconfig and look at what apps are running when I boot my desktop and have a clean and fast boot (and a clean and stable windows install during 3 years).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If you don't want to see notifications then why not just switch them off for that app?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I normally switch off them but some games or apps will still send you reminders. For example, the humble bundle app, even if you untick everything will sometimes wake to tell you they added games to a bundle. On windows phone 8.1 you have control of that through system settings even if the app doesn't.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

I normally switch off them but some games or apps will still send you reminders. For example, the humble bundle app, even if you untick everything will sometimes wake to tell you they added games to a bundle. On windows phone 8.1 you have control of that through system settings even if the app doesn't.
Android has OS-level control for this as well, either long press a notifcation or go to Settings -> Apps.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

How do I go back to stock TouchWiz on a Note? Cyanogen is a piece of poo poo and ruined my phone.

Welp, followed a guide, Odin said everything passed and now my phone is infinitely rebooting.

Factory reset fixed it. gently caress custom roms.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 7, 2014

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

tjones posted:

I love that people are condescending about this.

Exactly why would I want poo poo running if I have no use for it?

I don't janitor my phone. I turn off things I don't need when I no longer need them. Greenify works on its own once you have it set up to hibernate the apps you want.

You're cranking the car after every stop instead of just idling.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

ijyt posted:

How do I go back to stock TouchWiz on a Note? Cyanogen is a piece of poo poo and ruined my phone.

Welp, followed a guide, Odin said everything passed and now my phone is infinitely rebooting.

Factory reset fixed it. gently caress custom roms.

There was a time when they served a useful purpose. That time is (mostly) passed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I can switch between CM and GPE roms on my S4 without issues. Can mess around about the same with my SGS1 too. Why would you Odin flash CM when you should through CWM or TWRP?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I can switch between CM and GPE roms on my S4 without issues. Can mess around about the same with my SGS1 too. Why would you Odin flash CM when you should through CWM or TWRP?

In order for me to do this promotion with my cell phone carrier I need to be on stock touchwiz. I really want to stay on cm11 though. Am I able to switch between roms and if so how? I really just want to be able to use the stock rom a few times then delete it. I have a s4 on Rogers

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

In order for me to do this promotion with my cell phone carrier I need to be on stock touchwiz. I really want to stay on cm11 though. Am I able to switch between roms and if so how? I really just want to be able to use the stock rom a few times then delete it. I have a s4 on Rogers
You can use SafeStrap to run multiple ROMs, you get a stock slot and 4 virtual slots (last I tried these came with the 20-30% performance hit of virtualization.)

If you really like CM, move your stock ROM to a virtual slot and CM to the stock slot. As someone who used to be really enthusiastic about CM (because I wanted 4.4 and Motorola left the original RAZR at 4.0.1,) at least keep a copy of the stock image somewhere because eventually you will run into a problem where the developer shrugs and tells you the only way to fix it is to flash back to stock, do whatever you were trying to do (in my case my phone was unable to see GPS/GLONASS satellites at all) then go back into CM.

In the future I suggest buying a phone you don't have to extensively gently caress with to get it working the way you want it to. If you love CM that much, get a OnePlusOne because at least you have OEM support when you find out that something is horribly broken (P.S. don't try to encrypt your phone, it has never worked on CM and never will.)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

You can use SafeStrap to run multiple ROMs, you get a stock slot and 4 virtual slots (last I tried these came with the 20-30% performance hit of virtualization.)

If you really like CM, move your stock ROM to a virtual slot and CM to the stock slot. As someone who used to be really enthusiastic about CM (because I wanted 4.4 and Motorola left the original RAZR at 4.0.1,) at least keep a copy of the stock image somewhere because eventually you will run into a problem where the developer shrugs and tells you the only way to fix it is to flash back to stock, do whatever you were trying to do (in my case my phone was unable to see GPS/GLONASS satellites at all) then go back into CM.

In the future I suggest buying a phone you don't have to extensively gently caress with to get it working the way you want it to. If you love CM that much, get a OnePlusOne because at least you have OEM support when you find out that something is horribly broken (P.S. don't try to encrypt your phone, it has never worked on CM and never will.)

I'm very happy with cm11. I just need to run stock for a day or two to run this stupid sim suretap payment thing and then I don't want to use touchwiz again. Thanks for the tip I will look into safe strap and most likely gently caress everything up.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I didn't flash CM through Odin, I used the CM method. I was restoring to Samsung's firmware with Odin to try and fix an issue with my phone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ijyt posted:

I didn't flash CM through Odin, I used the CM method. I was restoring to Samsung's firmware with Odin to try and fix an issue with my phone.

Oh ok, got it wrong then sorry.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WugLyfe posted:

There was a time when they served a useful purpose. That time is (mostly) passed.

Yeah, I used to be a flashaholic back when I used Samsung garbage. Now I'm in recovery.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
My unlocked, rooted Moto G has stopped vibrating properly and it looks like I might have to send it off to be repaired. Is there a way to 're-lock' the bootloader? The OP doesn't look very up-to-date

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

Now I'm in recovery.
Real men use fastboot.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

nimper posted:

Yeah, I used to be a flashaholic back when I used Samsung garbage. Now I'm in recovery.

:golfclap:

I will say, though, that many of the skinned versions of Lollipop look to be less offensive than they were on KitKat.

There's that, I guess.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

WugLyfe posted:

Bullshit, I'll never run a stock rom again after going from Samsung-infested Touchwiz poo poo on my Note II to LiquidSmooth. The difference is night and day, and I just want plain Android, not Samsung's/HTC's or anyone else's.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Running a Nexus 5 on official 5.0 rom, was curious if it's possible to flash a custom recovery and kernel without the use of a PC?

Edit: Found a solution: Flashify

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 8, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Luceo posted:

and I just want plain Android, not Samsung's/HTC's or anyone else's.

Unless it's xXxMagnusRagnarokxXx on XDA.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Unless it's xXxMagnusRagnarokxXx on XDA.

I'll take a very well tweaked version of AOSP that's highly regarded over Samsung's crap any day.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Luceo posted:

Bullshit, I'll never run a stock rom again after going from Samsung-infested Touchwiz poo poo on my Note II to LiquidSmooth. The difference is night and day, and I just want plain Android, not Samsung's/HTC's or anyone else's.
You know, you could just not buy a Samsung and get exactly this without having to flash anything?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

You know, you could just not buy a Samsung and get exactly this without having to flash anything?

Hey, the Note II was the only bigphone you could buy back then. Perhaps Luceo's goony palms cannot accommodate anything smaller!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

^^^ I buy bigphones because I don't want both a phone and a tablet.

LastInLine posted:

No, I'd get some other vendor's lovely customizations to Android instead.

Luceo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 8, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

(AMOLED + MicroSD + removable battery) - Samsung = ?????

If Google would stop trying to be Apple with the Nexus devices and give us some drat expandability I'd agree entirely, but at the moment if you care about that you get the choice of crappy stock software or crappy (for your purposes) hardware. Since software is a lot easier to change than hardware on a portable device, that seems like an easy choice to me.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

wolrah posted:

(AMOLED + MicroSD + removable battery) - Samsung = ?????

Moto G 2014*

*Does not support LTE

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Luceo posted:

No, I'd get some other vendor's lovely customizations to Android instead.

what

Get a Google Play Edition phone then, or a Nexus, or an import. The Doogee DG550 sounds right up your alley.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

what

Get a Google Play Edition phone then, or a Nexus, or an import. The Doogee DG550 sounds right up your alley.

Doogee DG550 Smartphone Highlight:
- 5.5 inch IPS, 1280*720 pixel display
- Android 4.2.9

Yeah, get this

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

Doogee DG550 Smartphone Highlight:
- 5.5 inch IPS, 1280*720 pixel display
- Android 4.2.9

Yeah, get this

Android 4.2.9 was the best release bar none. It's all downhill from there, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

what

the gently caress is a Doogee :stare:

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, it's not that hard to understand. I don't want Touchwiz, Sense, Blur, or any of that nonsense. Samsung's hardware seemed to be the best at the time in the phablet market, and software can be bulldozed.

I'm kinda tired of the phone vendors loving up Android. As for the Nexus stuff, I haven't really been impressed yet.