Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Segmentation Fault posted:

Can you turn off texture filtering in Half-Life? I imagine I might like the game a lot more without muddy textures. Half-Life was great fun but not great to look at. This mod and maybe some graphics tweaks might be nice though.

I always played Half Life in software mode because of this and also because D3D/OGL/Glide never had the cool blur effects when under water (and also when you're knocked out by the jarheads in that one scene)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
IIRC I turned off the texture filtering with a CVAR in the console under GLIDE.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

closeted republican posted:

Gordon swings the crowbar ridiculously fast if you're right in front of something, whether it be a wall, enemy, or object, in GoldSrc HL1. It's awesome watching Gordon suddenly turn into a whirlwind of crowbar swings when you get within range of something like a zombie.
It's something that Half-Life 2 sorely lacks, really.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

It's something that Half-Life 2 sorely lacks, really.

Yeah, it makes the Crowbar way less useful if Gordon doesn't turn into a whirlwind of crowbar swings when he approaches something. The wimpy smacks and swings that Gordon does in HL2 makes it kinda boring to use.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah, it makes the Crowbar way less useful if Gordon doesn't turn into a whirlwind of crowbar swings when he approaches something. The wimpy smacks and swings that Gordon does in HL2 makes it kinda boring to use.

He doesn't even seem to swing at things. When the crowbar connects it looks like Gordon sort of... thrusts it or something

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I adore Half-Life 2 but god loving drat it were those weapon animations and sound effects horrifically, inexcusably lazy.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I adore Half-Life 2 but god loving drat it were those weapon animations and sound effects horrifically, inexcusably lazy.

Agreed. The snark's idle animations in HL1 alone has more personality than every weapon in HL2 combined.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/user/EBITUSA16/videos

This guy has posted videos of a reanimated, remodeled arsenal for HL2 that keeps the original game's aesthetic. The anims are rather...sterile, but they're servicable I think. Better than vanilla at least. The question is, will this guy ever release the godamn things or will they fall in that "hey look at this cool thing I made that you want that I'm never going to release" limbo that millions of other mods have?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
RIP HDTP (High Definiton Texture Project for Deus Ex). It still gets a tiny addition every year though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Vakal posted:

Agreed. The snark's idle animations in HL1 alone has more personality than every weapon in HL2 combined.

I know it's not technically "canon" but I always found the biological weapons from Opposing Force to be really cool. The Spore Launcher seems to turn and look at Shepherd, and he pets it on the head. The Shock Roach actually being a functioning, autonomous enemy was cool, too.

The barnacle gun was not so cool, however.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know it's not technically "canon" but I always found the biological weapons from Opposing Force to be really cool. The Spore Launcher seems to turn and look at Shepherd, and he pets it on the head. The Shock Roach actually being a functioning, autonomous enemy was cool, too.

The barnacle gun was not so cool, however.

The OF guns are pretty neat, but my favorite weapon will always be the monkey wrench that turns dudes into ground meat with one swing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Watching videos of Alien Isolation makes me want to play the original Aliens TC. Luckily it is super easy to do: http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Aliens_TC

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Woolie Wool posted:

I played it in 2005 expecting, in my complete ignorance, something more akin to Black Mesa (ooh, HL1 remade in the Half-Life 2 engine!). And not only was it just a straight port, it was just a straight port without the Blue Shift HD pack, the expansions, or mod support, making it worse in every way than the original Half-Life.

You can import HL1 levels into Hammer and save them, and that's... what they did. Source supports all the Goldsrc logic entities.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Mak0rz posted:

I always played Half Life in software mode because of this and also because D3D/OGL/Glide never had the cool blur effects when under water (and also when you're knocked out by the jarheads in that one scene)

Just started up the game in software mode and it looks so much better without the blurry textures, it's feels like the game hasn't aged that badly all of a sudden.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kamrat posted:

Just started up the game in software mode and it looks so much better without the blurry textures, it's feels like the game hasn't aged that badly all of a sudden.

Yeah, this along with the subtitles mod has given me reason to go back and play it. I was worried that software mode would make me lose out on colored lighting and other fancy things but that's not the case. You just "lose" the linear filtering.

The game actually looks good with unfiltered textures. Crazy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Black Mesa 4 Lyfe

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

The OF guns are pretty neat, but my favorite weapon will always be the monkey wrench that turns dudes into ground meat with one swing.

The OF Wrench alone is meatier and more satisfying than all of HL2's weapons. That thing has the perfect animation and swing sound combo that really makes it feel like you're bringing down the pain on some fool.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Wrench was funny because the alt-fire could build up enough charge to completely gib a human being (and some Xen aliens) in a single swing. Shepard made a mistake in career choice - he should of gone into baseball.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jblade posted:

The Wrench was funny because the alt-fire could build up enough charge to completely gib a human being (and some Xen aliens) in a single swing. Shepard made a mistake in career choice - he should of gone into baseball.

I love doing that. Sorry Barney and Otis, but I really want to make a human being explode with a single Wrench smack. :v:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Kamrat posted:

You don't have to be in software mode to disable texture filtering. Enter this in the console or add it to your autoexec.cfg

quote:

gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Olivil posted:

You don't have to be in software mode to disable texture filtering. Enter this in the console or add it to your autoexec.cfg

I'll check this solution out as well, thanks! :)

Why did they make the graphics so blurry in hardware rendering if there's a solution like this? Does it require a beefier card or something that wasn't available back in the day?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kamrat posted:

I'll check this solution out as well, thanks! :)

Why did they make the graphics so blurry in hardware rendering if there's a solution like this? Does it require a beefier card or something that wasn't available back in the day?

It's the opposite actually. Nearest-neighbor filtering requires less power than linear filtering, but linear filtering was thought to look better since it was nice and smooth unlike blocky chunky pixels from Doom and Quake and the like.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I've never found trilinear filtering to look bad when running 90s games on modern high res screens. The various linear filters are terrible for the sprites in DOOM and the like, but DOOM engines with filtering options always let you change the filtering for textures and sprites seperately - and your full 3d games don't use sprites so that's not an issue either.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Olivil posted:

I've tried out this solution now and I agree that it's nice, but I think I prefer to run the game in software mode because of the underwater effects and stuff and so far I haven't run into any problems.

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's the opposite actually. Nearest-neighbor filtering requires less power than linear filtering, but linear filtering was thought to look better since it was nice and smooth unlike blocky chunky pixels from Doom and Quake and the like.

Yeah I know people used to think this but nowadays the blurry textures look real bad. Guess we didn't know any better back in the day when 3D technology was new.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
It's fun reading old articles about FPS games in the late 90s and seeing them drool over things like "Soldier of Fortune's amazing hostage AI", "Half-Life's realistic levels", "lifelike graphics" or colored lighting in general. Nowadays, most of the stuff they sang praises to is laughably simplistic and/or kinda lovely. I think the only exception is the HL1 soldier AI, and that's mostly because of good pathing, not anything inherent with the AI itself.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 11, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I think the only exception is the HL1 soldier AI, and that's mostly because of good pathing, not anything inherent with the AI itself.

Most AI design is really just game design.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Also adding small bits of polish like the "Oh poo poo!" response the grunts give when you throw a grenade. That blew my teenage mind.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

Also adding small bits of polish like the "Oh poo poo!" response the grunts give when you throw a grenade. That blew my teenage mind.

Then they drop a grenade in front of themselves and blow themselves up. :v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't forget the assassins, used like twice.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Don't forget the assassins, used like twice.

Oh god, those fuckers. :gonk:

For whatever reason, their dinky little silenced pistols always to more damage than the soliders' MP5s :psyduck:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Oh god, those fuckers. :gonk:

For whatever reason, their dinky little silenced pistols always to more damage than the soliders' MP5s :psyduck:

Well an MP5 is 9mm and I guess their pistols could be higher caliber or Valve just hates us because gently caress those assassins.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Gauss Gunning every last one of the fuckers before reaching the Lambda sector is sweet, sweet revenge for the first time you encounter them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/EBITUSA16/videos

This guy has posted videos of a reanimated, remodeled arsenal for HL2 that keeps the original game's aesthetic. The anims are rather...sterile, but they're servicable I think. Better than vanilla at least. The question is, will this guy ever release the godamn things or will they fall in that "hey look at this cool thing I made that you want that I'm never going to release" limbo that millions of other mods have?

His revolver animations are incredible, check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHzB5PrgSmk
He's pretty good at what he does, hopefully it gets a release someday and he gets a job as an animator or something if he doesn't have one already.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I got Doom RPG and it's launcher but it doesn't seem to allow me to pick custom wads, I have to play vanilla Doom? Also, it crashes when I enable the DRLA patch so I'm just not going to bother with it and stick to just combining DRLA with other mods I like.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

nexus6 posted:

I got Doom RPG and it's launcher but it doesn't seem to allow me to pick custom wads, I have to play vanilla Doom? Also, it crashes when I enable the DRLA patch so I'm just not going to bother with it and stick to just combining DRLA with other mods I like.

Gotta put the custom wads in the Doom RPG directory, the same place you keep the mod's other wad files.

As for the other thing, I have no idea - maybe you've got an outdated version of DRLA or the DRLA patch, or something?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Make sure you set it to see your patch wad directory, then pick them on the right side pane. You also have to load the DoomRL wads along with the compatibility patch.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Mr E posted:

Well an MP5 is 9mm and I guess their pistols could be higher caliber or Valve just hates us because gently caress those assassins.

the assassins are better shots, and also trained in the art of the ninja, so they shoot you straight in the pressure points every time they hit you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yes, this is an actual PC game screenshot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So many minds were blown by the first sequence in the dark hallway with one of those guys. You shot at him and he dodged it. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, this is an actual PC game screenshot.

That's the issue I held on to for a long time. That's the one that had a piece on gaming urban legends, like Doom being used for training soldiers and Pacman's original name.

Also, articles on video cards with 1, 2, and even 4 MB of RAM!!!