Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Ashex posted:

I keep running into a weird issue with iTerm. When I'm connected to my archlinux box and am doing an update with pacman via sudo the terminal sends ^M when I hit return. This doesn't happen in Terminal, anyone know why this happens?

Weird that it only happens in iTerm, not Terminal.app. Does it only happen when you're su'ed to root and doesn't happen when you're logged in as a normal user?

2 things maybe worth trying:
1) su to root and run "set -o vi"; it may be set to emacs mode?
2) in iTerm prefs; check your profile under the "Terminal" tab and make sure your "Character Encoding" is set to "Unicode (UTF-8)" and change the "Report Terminal Type" to "xterm" or "xterm-256color"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Is there any way besides safari to subscribe to push notifications in osx??

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Lawen posted:

Weird that it only happens in iTerm, not Terminal.app. Does it only happen when you're su'ed to root and doesn't happen when you're logged in as a normal user?

2 things maybe worth trying:
1) su to root and run "set -o vi"; it may be set to emacs mode?
2) in iTerm prefs; check your profile under the "Terminal" tab and make sure your "Character Encoding" is set to "Unicode (UTF-8)" and change the "Report Terminal Type" to "xterm" or "xterm-256color"

It's actually iTerm2. I can't replicate it reliably which drives me nuts, if I ssh right in as a regular used then execute sudo with something like "sudo pacman -Rd" it goes through just fine. It just comes up after awhile. I'll try changing the terminal type and see if it happens again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Forbin5 posted:

OS X Applications can do whatever they want as far as sending notifications, since there's no restriction on background applications that iOS has. So... check with the specific application you want notifications for?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Forbin5 posted:

If you mean web site-based notifications, I think Safari is the only one that works even when it's not running. The push notifications open up in whatever's set as your default browser, so you aren't restricted from using solely Safari.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Google's doing that thing where it turns up nothing but 5 year-old cnet articles for my search, "use iPhone as wireless headphones for Mac".
What if.. that thing I said?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Try AirFoil

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

agarjogger posted:

Google's doing that thing where it turns up nothing but 5 year-old cnet articles for my search, "use iPhone as wireless headphones for Mac".
What if.. that thing I said?
AirFoil Speakers Touch (the iOS airplay target app that compliments AirFoil that was linked above) can receive audio from iTunes/OS X using the built in AirPlay stuff if you buy the in-app purchase for $3, which is a cheaper option than buying the full AirFoil program.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Does anyone have a favorite picture slide show widget similar to the one available for Windows? I used to have one sitting on my Windows desktop and it was nice taking a peek at it and enjoying a nice picture. I prefer that over my entire wallpaper changing every x minutes.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Mercurius posted:

AirFoil Speakers Touch (the iOS airplay target app that compliments AirFoil that was linked above) can receive audio from iTunes/OS X using the built in AirPlay stuff if you buy the in-app purchase for $3, which is a cheaper option than buying the full AirFoil program.

Thanks, but it says here that the app lost its ability to receive directly from Airplay like two years ago when Apple took the app down for that reason. On Windows I just ran a Shoutcast server and connected to that. $25 is a lot to pay for this pretty basic stuff.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

agarjogger posted:

Thanks, but it says here that the app lost its ability to receive directly from Airplay like two years ago when Apple took the app down for that reason. On Windows I just ran a Shoutcast server and connected to that. $25 is a lot to pay for this pretty basic stuff.
Ah, I missed that part. I got airfoil in one of those mac update bundles so I've never needed to use the IAP thing.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I ended up buying Airfoil. $25 I really can't do for an app, but the software is really awesome and they have a $3 off special today 2014MEMDAY.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whats the recommended password manager for Macs? after the ebay thing I feel like I should go change all my passwords and manage them with one of those applications.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
1Password is what I use and love.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should use a password manager, so when someone asks I always reccomend LastPass because it's free on the desktop and you can start using it today. It's web based, but there's no security risk because LastPass doesn't store your password, and instead your passwords are stored on LastPass's servers and then decrypted on your computer. It's also easy to export the data out of the system into the manager I personally use, 1Password.

1P comes with a very nice management app that's faster and smoother to use and isn't web based. Sync is through encrypted files that sit on dropbox, meaning they're available everywhere and can only be accessed by you. You can store anything in there, not just passwords. You can easily send them to someone else when you need to.

Of course, you have to pay for it, and if you aren't willing to drop $50 on it download LastPass. But if you ever get the opportunity get 1Password (it's on sale regularly), grab it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Personally, I think LP is way better (I recently switched from 1P to LP). It has way more features than 1p and doesn't have many of the little annoyances that 1p does. Plus, the android version can autofill into applications or websites. And I feel a lot more secure not relying on Dropbox to sync my 1p file across computers/my phone. That said, either option is great, and I probably never would've switched from 1p to lp if it weren't for their recent addition of the autofill feature in android.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 27, 2014

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

dik-dik posted:

And I feel a lot more secure not relying on Dropbox to sync my 1p file across computers/my phone.

How is storing your info on the Lastpass server more secure than Dropbox?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

What folders should generally be copied if I need to move everything off my hard drive? Something went haywire with my macbook and the only way I could find to move everything to an external drive was through the terminal in recovery mode since it no longer boots, but for some reason it seems to be reading that there's a Container directory in Libraries that has like 20 clones of all my documents, photos, etc, which fills the external. I figured if I copy everything in my user directory but Libraries that should cover it.

I was actually intending to move my crashplan setup from my desktop to my laptop but of course the computer decides to destroy itself before I get to it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lastpass stops my back and foward keys and other custom keys on my mouse working so gently caress that forever.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I use KeePassX. Its free and works on everything. I've never used another password manager though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

What folders should generally be copied if I need to move everything off my hard drive? Something went haywire with my macbook and the only way I could find to move everything to an external drive was through the terminal in recovery mode since it no longer boots, but for some reason it seems to be reading that there's a Container directory in Libraries that has like 20 clones of all my documents, photos, etc, which fills the external. I figured if I copy everything in my user directory but Libraries that should cover it.

I was actually intending to move my crashplan setup from my desktop to my laptop but of course the computer decides to destroy itself before I get to it.

Your ~/Library folder contains all your applications' preferences and potentially a lot of user data (particularly for non-document-based apps), you can't just leave it out unless you're sure and/or don't care if you lose stuff. Almost everything in the Containers folder is folders or aliases to folders that take essentially no space at all. Every sandboxed app gets its own container, which is comprised of fake user and library folders with said aliases inside. The only significant space used should be data saved there by each sandboxed app.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

Your ~/Library folder contains all your applications' preferences and potentially a lot of user data (particularly for non-document-based apps), you can't just leave it out unless you're sure and/or don't care if you lose stuff. Almost everything in the Containers folder is folders or aliases to folders that take essentially no space at all. Every sandboxed app gets its own container, which is comprised of fake user and library folders with said aliases inside. The only significant space used should be data saved there by each sandboxed app.

Depending on which application he used to copy those items in Terminal, it may have not translated the symlinks correctly and actually duplicated all those files. rsync would be a good culprit for that.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Speaking of KeePass, anyone know if any of the forks support synchronizing with a 2.x database yet?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Laserface posted:

Lastpass stops my back and foward keys and other custom keys on my mouse working so gently caress that forever.

Wat? Can you elaborate? I use LastPass but have not seen this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I am having a recurring issue that I cannot pin down the cause on. Seemingly randomly, my bluetooth mouse and keyboard clicks are not being recognized on my iMac. I see the mouse moving around, but clicking does nothing and doesn't terminate my screensaver. The odd thing is, if I remote in via Teamviewer (most times, not every time) it'll 'unfreeze' the issue and allow keyboard/mouse input. At this point everything is gravy until it repeats.

What can I look for to see what potentially could be causing this issue? I'm not even sure where to start and it's getting quite infuriating! Thanks!

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Ashex posted:

Speaking of KeePass, anyone know if any of the forks support synchronizing with a 2.x database yet?

KyPass works

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Even though I don't have any invites anymore in my calendar after deleting some old work calendars, the red badge still shows that I have 14. Any fix?

EDIT: Welp, it disappeared.

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 27, 2014

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

TraderStav posted:

I am having a recurring issue that I cannot pin down the cause on. Seemingly randomly, my bluetooth mouse and keyboard clicks are not being recognized on my iMac. I see the mouse moving around, but clicking does nothing and doesn't terminate my screensaver. The odd thing is, if I remote in via Teamviewer (most times, not every time) it'll 'unfreeze' the issue and allow keyboard/mouse input. At this point everything is gravy until it repeats.

What can I look for to see what potentially could be causing this issue? I'm not even sure where to start and it's getting quite infuriating! Thanks!

I have had an issue with my wireless keyboard frequently lagging really badly and often putting in loads of a single letter/key after a single key press.

I did a bit of research and a fairly convincing (to me at least) suggestion was that there could be interference from our office wifi router as they're on the same frequency and my desk is quite close to the router.

I ended up giving up and using a USB keyboard... Path of least resistance I guess.

I'm sure some knowledgable goon will debunk my theory though as I know poo poo all about this stuff. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're still a few days away from a dedicated thread, but Apple will be streaming the WWDC keynote this year:

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Every time I have had an issue with anything wireless acting crazy I've just replaced the battery/batteries and it works fine again.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FordPRefectLL posted:

Every time I have had an issue with anything wireless acting crazy I've just replaced the battery/batteries and it works fine again.

I did this as well, which consequently it was having issues when the batteries were getting weak. However, BOTH the mouse and keyboard being unresponsive at the same time? Sounds fishy to me that it'd be a power level issue.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Laserface posted:

Whats the recommended password manager for Macs? after the ebay thing I feel like I should go change all my passwords and manage them with one of those applications.

If you use solely Apple products, spend the extra to get 1Password. Others have mentioned the dropbox syncing, but if you use only Apple products, you can use iCloud syncing which adds background syncing on iOS devices.

If you ever use anything besides Apple products on a regular basis, go with LastPass. It has a lousy UI but it's at least consistent on every platform.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ineptmule posted:

I have had an issue with my wireless keyboard frequently lagging really badly and often putting in loads of a single letter/key after a single key press.

I did a bit of research and a fairly convincing (to me at least) suggestion was that there could be interference from our office wifi router as they're on the same frequency and my desk is quite close to the router.

I ended up giving up and using a USB keyboard... Path of least resistance I guess.

I'm sure some knowledgable goon will debunk my theory though as I know poo poo all about this stuff. :)

I've also had verifiable issues from having cell phones from certain carriers too close or in specific orientations near the keyboards.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I looked around the Apple page and did some cursory googling to try to find this answer but have not come up with a solution so far. Also, I've used windows since 3.1 and this is my first experience with Mac OSX so this might be a simple question that I am just not getting.

I am trying to wirelessly connect my rmbp to a shared printer connected to my wife's windows 7 machine. So far, I've tried clicking the apple button, going to system preferences, and then printers and scanners. Once I get there I click on the add printer and select the windows tab. I can see the network name and my wife's computer but when I get there I am prompted to enter a username and password. I've tried to use the workgroup name and the password associated with it but it's not working. I even changed the workgroup name and password to ensure there wasn't something I was entering incorrectly. Is there something I am doing incorrectly?

More information in case it's needed.

My laptop is a 13" retina macbook pro late 2013
Wife's PC is running Windows7
Printer a an HP Photosmart 8150

-edit- I've also ensured that the printer is set to share. I can connect to it with any other PC in the house, it's just my mac that I'm having trouble with.

-edit2- I spent most of the evening trying to get this to work but have continued to be baffled. I can confirm that the printer will work when connected by USB. My other pcs can print fine to the printer. I can see the workgroup and the PCs connected to the workgroup when I try to manually add the printer. I get to the point where I select the computer the printer is connected to and I am prompted to enter a username and password. I've no idea where this information is to be found. I've tried using the computer login info, my router info, my macbook info, and my other pc info but none of it is correct. My google fu is weak because I can't find other people with the same issue.

For an OS that is supposed to "just work" this is frustrating as hell. I've never had these problems with a windows or linux machines. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 28, 2014

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

NeuralSpark posted:

Depending on which application he used to copy those items in Terminal, it may have not translated the symlinks correctly and actually duplicated all those files. rsync would be a good culprit for that.

Yeah it seems to have copied all the symlinks as real files so I deleted that part.

I had been annoyed with OS X and the recovery mode for giving me such bizarre error messages, but it turned out the writing thingies in the hard drive died, which would obviously cause the entire operating system to flip out even if the disk is still readable. :)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hekk posted:

I looked around the Apple page and did some cursory googling to try to find this answer but have not come up with a solution so far. Also, I've used windows since 3.1 and this is my first experience with Mac OSX so this might be a simple question that I am just not getting.

For an OS that is supposed to "just work" this is frustrating as hell. I've never had these problems with a windows or linux machines. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think "it just works" is generally assumed to apply to trying to communicate with third-party hardware via a second computer running a completely different operating system. That said, all my googling indicates it just wants a username and password for any user account on the windows machine. If that doesn't work, maybe these instructions to disable passwords on the windows side of things will do something: http://www.geekyportal.com/2012/11/how-to-share-printer-in-windows-7.html

Edit: also try guest/guest (more info here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2306107?start=30)

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 28, 2014

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Choadmaster posted:

I don't think "it just works" is generally assumed to apply to trying to communicate with third-party hardware via a second computer running a completely different operating system. That said, all my googling indicates it just wants a username and password for any user account on the windows machine. If that doesn't work, maybe these instructions to disable passwords on the windows side of things will do something: http://www.geekyportal.com/2012/11/how-to-share-printer-in-windows-7.html

Fair enough point regarding different OS and third party hardware. Spending five hours trying to get a printer to work is frustrating. I did manage to finally get things working by following this guide:

http://macs.about.com/od/printersharing/ss/Printer-Sharing-Share-Your-Windows-7-Printer-With-Your-Mac.htm

Thanks for trying to help.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Glad to hear you got it working at least.

If I might recommend, get a cheap, networkable Brother laser printer unless you have a real need to print color (outsource your photo printing to Costco or anyone else who will put them on proper photo paper).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm getting blurry text for half a second in Chrome on my MBPR when loading a site, anyone else seeing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dik-dik posted:

Personally, I think LP is way better (I recently switched from 1P to LP). It has way more features than 1p and doesn't have many of the little annoyances that 1p does. Plus, the android version can autofill into applications or websites. And I feel a lot more secure not relying on Dropbox to sync my 1p file across computers/my phone. That said, either option is great, and I probably never would've switched from 1p to lp if it weren't for their recent addition of the autofill feature in android.

Quoting to mention that I use 1password and overall love it, but holy hell is the android app bad. As mentioned it doesn't auto fill (which already is disappointing but liveable) and the app always, always takes about 15 seconds to open.

Any rumors on what Apple would potentially be adding to the next OS X update? I'm guessing that is pretty likely at WWDC.