Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gandalf previously snuck into Sauron’s dungeons and back out. Hes the solid snake of middle earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Beren and Luthien erasure

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Another "hey why didn't someone mention this" in the podcast btw was when Gandalf sends Bill off with "words of guard and guiding" on him, which was the same phrasing Maeglin used when breaking Aredhel out of Eol's place

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Got the objective, hosed it all up on the extraction

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

truly, sending the single most easily discerned dude in history, a dwarven noble, an elven royal, and 2 human royals along with 4 country yokels will just blend right in

skasion posted:

Gandalf previously snuck into Sauron’s dungeons and back out. Hes the solid snake of middle earth

Presumably Narya kept Gandalf hidden or else he'd have been just as big a beacon as Glorfindel.

Legolas has never been to Valinor so he's probably not an issue either.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i mean they are discovered nearly immediately and are waylaid by wolves before even leaving Eregion. they only avoid outright pursuit by Saruman by going through Moria. The fellowship at no point avoids detection by Sauron/Saruman/The Enemy except when they are in Moria or Lothlorien. Glorfindel having an aura like Rick James would change basically nothing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're discovered only because Gandalf does some flashy fire magic. After that as he explains there's no point hiding anymore so they just book it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Glorfindel just punting wolves wondering why 2 men with swords and armor are having trouble managing some big dogs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost dogs!

Anyway Sauron loses track of everyone after Amon Hen, basically everything in the second and third book happens because he can’t tell where anyone is unless they look in a palantir

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gandalf the grey can def cloak

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

skasion posted:

unless they look in a palantir

Yeah but who would be dumb enough to do that?

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
just realized everyone in the Shire smokes. Can you imagine how nasty those hobbit holes must smell, given hobbits live for like, 100 years? 100 years of multiple people smoking pipes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

midnight77 posted:

just realized everyone in the Shire smokes. Can you imagine how nasty those hobbit holes must smell, given hobbits live for like, 100 years? 100 years of multiple people smoking pipes.

Pipe weed hits different

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

midnight77 posted:

Presumably like a pub

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Turns out there was nothing supernatural about the Ringwraiths following Frodo by smell.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

midnight77 posted:

Basically like Oxford uni buildings/accomodation in Tolkien's day, I'd imagine.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

But a host of elves and men defeated a ringed Sauron before

Way more of both than they could muster now, and with a lot more heavy hitters bolstering the ranks.

Remember a key tenet of Tolkien is that nothing good nowadays can measure up to the lost glories of eras past.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ok I'm gonna finally say it

Every time I read that word I pronounce it like it comes after A Region, B Region, C Region and D Region

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Phy posted:

Every time I read that word I pronounce it like it comes after A Region, B Region, C Region and D Region

Egregious

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Phy posted:

That's the correct pronunciation, clearly. It's a region, where elves used to live. So, it's clearly short for "elf region" and should be pronounced accordingly. Over the centuries, "E. Region" must have gotten shortened to "Eregion", the same way "electronic mail" became "email".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
'E region's it's an elf region.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
sorry that doesnt even make sense

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

thumper57 posted:

I’ve always thought Boromir outright lied about having that dream, cause he was jealous of his cooler wimpier brother getting messages from god.

I've always wondered about that too.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DontMockMySmock posted:

That's the correct pronunciation, clearly. It's a region, where elves used to live. So, it's clearly short for "elf region" and should be pronounced accordingly. Over the centuries, "E. Region" must have gotten shortened to "Eregion", the same way "electronic mail" became "email".

So the good news is that Tolkien has come back from the dead, the bad news is that he is coming to kill you for this post.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elrond would have known if he was lying

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Elrond would have known if he was lying

Yeah. It’s also much funnier if he’s telling the truth bc it means Lorien (Vala) and/or God himself got sick of waiting for Faramir to get a hustle on

skasion fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 9, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't love this

quote:

The first film, from New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures, will be called Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (WT), with Andy Serkis set to star and direct the feature,

Serkis did a fantastic job with the role and mocap of course but do people like Gollum? He's gross, the voice is gross, kids aren't carrying around baby gollum merch, he's a disgusting toad and I sure as hell don't want to watch some non-Tolkien story about him. The draw here I guess would be that Aragorn and Gandalf were involved, but Viggo and McKellan aren't coming back for that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Hunt for Gollum???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H09xnhlCQU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is funny tho

quote:

As The Hollywood Reporter noted at the time, Amazon is also developing its own larger TV universe for the franchise, potentially leading to the two competitive visions. Jackson and his co-writers were said to be frustrated that many people thought they were involved in the Amazon shows, when they were not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it's like War of the Ring vs Battle for Middle Earth duelling strategy games.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

GOD DAMMIT

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Don't love this

Serkis did a fantastic job with the role and mocap of course but do people like Gollum? He's gross, the voice is gross, kids aren't carrying around baby gollum merch, he's a disgusting toad and I sure as hell don't want to watch some non-Tolkien story about him. The draw here I guess would be that Aragorn and Gandalf were involved, but Viggo and McKellan aren't coming back for that.

lol come onnnn. Did nobody learn anything about diminishing returns from the Hobbit movies and Rings of Power? Get these crusty old fuckers out of here. If you really have to make more of these movies please do something new. Or call up Del Toro again or someone with a functioning imagination.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

lol come onnnn. Did nobody learn anything about diminishing returns from the Hobbit movies and Rings of Power? Get these crusty old fuckers out of here. If you really have to make more of these movies please do something new. Or call up Del Toro again or someone with a functioning imagination.

Perhaps this will explain everything

quote:

“Lord of the Rings is one of the most successful and revered franchises in history and presents a significant opportunity for our theatrical business,” Zaslav said.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wb must really want to kill PJ

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

zoux posted:

Don't love this

Boo this sucks

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
It's ok you don't have to watch it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the gollum game just came out and was a historic flop, no one loving wants this

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

zoux posted:

Don't love this

Not even Gollum likes Gollum. Bold to make a movie adaptation of the worst game of 2023.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flakey posted:

we live in a society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Flakey posted:

And I won't, just like I've never seen the latter 2 hobbit movies.