Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The same sort of error led to the funniest part of Dragon Ball Xenoverse's script, where a one-word line from Trunks came through in the actor's original voice. Chances are the editor was asleep at the wheel, heard him say the word 'guys', and just went with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Similar thing in Assassins Creed 2, Ezio starts off in his teens and I think ends the game in his mid-30s. When you greet the architect in your house (which you'll be doing a lot to upgrade the town), the 'Buongiorno!' will always be in his squeaky teen voice, no matter how Ezio sounds at that point in the plot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cleretic posted:

The same sort of error led to the funniest part of Dragon Ball Xenoverse's script, where a one-word line from Trunks came through in the actor's original voice. Chances are the editor was asleep at the wheel, heard him say the word 'guys', and just went with it.

In Saint's Row 4 there's a thing where you find audio logs from various characters and one from Julius (played by Keith David) has a mistake. Unlike everyone else he doesn't call the main character the "Boss" instead he says what he called them in the first game, Playa, like "play-a." Except one time he says it wrong like the Spanish word "plie-a."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

It doesn't even sound like he said it reading the line either, it sounds like just a completely mistaken :geno: "guys?" out of nowhere. Also at the end of the game before the credits roll Goku's voice switches to his Japanese voice actor when he laughs and it's really startling. Because she's an 80 year old woman IIRC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TataBQxXFGc

Found one of the times when it happens in Human Revolution. Just listen to the first minute, the change happens at around 1:00. Jensen hit puberty :allears:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
We talked about DLC you can't disable without uninstalling a while back, and XCOM 2 has a problem with this. The Alien Hunters DLC adds some unique items, enemies, and a story mission. You investigate a crash site on the world map that gives you the weapons, and a bit later a story mission appears that introduces the "ruler aliens" that from that point on show up randomly and ruin your day. They react to every individual move you take, rather than move just move during the enemy's turn. They have gigantic health bars and escape after taking a certain amount of damage, which persists between missions. They're meant to be a force of chaos throwing a wrench into your plans, so it's understandable that many people don't want to deal with them every game.

They don't give you the option to turn off the DLC ingame. On starting a new game, you're given the option to enable or disable the story mission, but that's the only thing it disables. You build the unique items (though you can only build one of each) rather than find them, and the rulers will show up on their own.

The only way to avoid dealing with the rulers is to enable the story mission and then avoid doing it. It's completely counterintuitive, and you'll still be able to take advantage of the unique weapons.

Another bit of opaqueness about this is the unique weapons can be upgraded as you research technology to upgrade your regular weapons, but only after you do the story mission, which isn't explained anywhere. If you disable the story mission you don't have this requirement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you're on PC, you can manually enable/disable DLCs whenever you want by right clicking the game on Steam and going to 'properties'.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Also, there is a mod that restores their action economy to regular levels.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
AM2R is really really good, but the part surrounding the first Omega Metroid fight is baffling in how bad it is. You jump into the hardest fight in the game so far, and you're going to get pasted. It's inevitable: it's a really hard fight. It's hard, though, because the ceiling is slightly too low to reliably jump over it. You can only ever jump over it if it's crouching, and it doesn't always crouch when it's advancing on you, allowing it to corner you very easily. Just touching it does nearly a full energy tank of damage, so being able to evade it is very important, otherwise it'll just stunlock you to death in seconds.

The other problem is the environment. The last save point before the Omega Metroid is about 5 to 10 minutes of running around in the caverns. Once you get to the Omega Metroid, the zone gets locked off and you can't go anywhere else. There's also no way to heal up within the zone, so while you can leave the room the Omega Metroid is in, there's no reason to. You can't break off to regroup, and the Metroid will (as far as I can tell) recover all its health. Also, it can throw you out of the room if you get hit while in the right spot. It's all the more frustrating because it's such an easily fixed problem: just let the player heal if they need to. Let them get another kick at the can without having to go through a 10 minute run.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inco posted:

AM2R is really really good, but the part surrounding the first Omega Metroid fight is baffling in how bad it is. You jump into the hardest fight in the game so far, and you're going to get pasted. It's inevitable: it's a really hard fight. It's hard, though, because the ceiling is slightly too low to reliably jump over it. You can only ever jump over it if it's crouching, and it doesn't always crouch when it's advancing on you, allowing it to corner you very easily. Just touching it does nearly a full energy tank of damage, so being able to evade it is very important, otherwise it'll just stunlock you to death in seconds.

The other problem is the environment. The last save point before the Omega Metroid is about 5 to 10 minutes of running around in the caverns. Once you get to the Omega Metroid, the zone gets locked off and you can't go anywhere else. There's also no way to heal up within the zone, so while you can leave the room the Omega Metroid is in, there's no reason to. You can't break off to regroup, and the Metroid will (as far as I can tell) recover all its health. Also, it can throw you out of the room if you get hit while in the right spot. It's all the more frustrating because it's such an easily fixed problem: just let the player heal if they need to. Let them get another kick at the can without having to go through a 10 minute run.

I don't know if they changed anything because I only played Metroid 2 once years ago, but metroid 2 kind of sucked.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
They changed a lot and the game is mostly good but the metroid fights as a whole aren't very fun and the once you get to Zetas they start taking forever.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is that game actually finished? It's been in development forever.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
You absolutely have to pick up as many Super Missile tanks as you can, because Zetas and Omegas all but require you to be pinpoint accurate with them against a moving and frequently-obscured target. Even for Gammas, it's like "ok, do I want to waste a minute on this swooping thing with a tiny underbelly or just wreck it with two Super Missiles."

There's an area at the end with three Omegas; thankfully you can (and really must) save and refill after each one, but even that forces you to fall down a long boring tunnel, save, and slowly spacejump back up three times.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

You absolutely have to pick up as many Super Missile tanks as you can, because Zetas and Omegas all but require you to be pinpoint accurate with them against a moving and frequently-obscured target. Even for Gammas, it's like "ok, do I want to waste a minute on this swooping thing with a tiny underbelly or just wreck it with two Super Missiles."

There's an area at the end with three Omegas; thankfully you can (and really must) save and refill after each one, but even that forces you to fall down a long boring tunnel, save, and slowly spacejump back up three times.
That is where I stopped playing the original GB game because it did not refill missiles at save points and the thought of slowly grinding up my entire stock or walking back half the world for a refill station three times did not exactly appeal to me.

In the remake, I'm at the first Omega fight and it does kinda suck...here's hoping I get at least a consistent strategy down. The constant knockdowns are really annoying.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RyokoTK posted:

Is that game actually finished? It's been in development forever.

Yeah man Metroid 2 came out in 1992 geez where've you been?

Okay yeah the remake was finished recently (mid July?), hence all the press about it, and Nintendo coming down with their C&D Hammer.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Simply Simon posted:

That is where I stopped playing the original GB game because it did not refill missiles at save points and the thought of slowly grinding up my entire stock or walking back half the world for a refill station three times did not exactly appeal to me.

In the remake, I'm at the first Omega fight and it does kinda suck...here's hoping I get at least a consistent strategy down. The constant knockdowns are really annoying.

I kept trying for that tiny spot on the back that opens up after a lunge, but the most reliable technique for me was waiting for it to breathe fire and shooting once or twice at the wide-open weak point. Occasionally I could even stand far enough away to not get hit by the fire!!

Not much to be done about the knockdowns except to time your jumps; the next three Omega fights are in rooms with even lower/more irregular ceilings, too. Fortunately the AI backs off after a couple of seconds if you're cornered, but you still take two or three hits first. Sadly the best strategy is to just have as many energy and Super Missile upgrades as possible going in.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Morpheus posted:

Okay yeah the remake was finished recently (mid July?), hence all the press about it, and Nintendo coming down with their C&D Hammer.

The remake was released 4 days ago.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Or you bring one high level Support with Guardian, a good scope and repeater. Execute procs work on rulers too. I'm not saying they won't gently caress you up early game and I can see how they can be annoying. It is however still XCOM and if you just go in well prepared you'll probably be fine unless the RNG turns on you.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

after doing a replay of dark souls 1 after beating bloodborne for the umpteenth time, I can definitely see how some people would call the movement or combat "clunky" in dark souls 1. if you're used to action games with quick attacks and mid-animation canceling it can be a bit frustrating to watch yourself misclick and, almost as if you have slow motion vision, watch an enemy smash you to pieces

also, rogue galaxy is fun but I really wish grinding red devil faction rank was not always a pain in the rear end. it sucks having a fifth of every system's ports closed to me because I'm not part of the cool pirates club

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I like FFXIV, but the same thing I hate about it, I tend to hate about most MMOs and I don't know why I keep playing these stupid games. I have half a dozen quests to unlock dungeons and beat certain bosses. Except I can't, because no one else does them. I just spent a few hours today waiting for ques to pop, there were a bunch of other people waiting but because one specific class wasn't there no one could do this thing. No one in my guild wants to do this because no one wants to do content they've done a thousand times over before I'd even joined the game. But I can't do the higher content until I get this done. So it's the exact same problem that killed WoW for me, that killed PSO2 for me and killed several other games. I'm in a group with people who won't help clear the old content, but complain endlessly about not having enough people to do the new content and trying to do anything with random players is miserable.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So I like FFXIV, but the same thing I hate about it, I tend to hate about most MMOs and I don't know why I keep playing these stupid games. I have half a dozen quests to unlock dungeons and beat certain bosses. Except I can't, because no one else does them. I just spent a few hours today waiting for ques to pop, there were a bunch of other people waiting but because one specific class wasn't there no one could do this thing. No one in my guild wants to do this because no one wants to do content they've done a thousand times over before I'd even joined the game. But I can't do the higher content until I get this done. So it's the exact same problem that killed WoW for me, that killed PSO2 for me and killed several other games. I'm in a group with people who won't help clear the old content, but complain endlessly about not having enough people to do the new content and trying to do anything with random players is miserable.

Whats great is that SE has to try and force these people to do old content by making it part of the relic weapon except they make it require an absolutely ludicrous amount of runs that everyone doing stuff for their relic is absolutely jaded and either A: Puts as little effort as possible cause why put high effort when they have to run something a thousand times to get +10 vitatlity or B: Is extremely critical of everyone, including legit new players because its slowing down their race to get their relic over with.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

Whats great is that SE has to try and force these people to do old content by making it part of the relic weapon except they make it require an absolutely ludicrous amount of runs that everyone doing stuff for their relic is absolutely jaded and either A: Puts as little effort as possible cause why put high effort when they have to run something a thousand times to get +10 vitatlity or B: Is extremely critical of everyone, including legit new players because its slowing down their race to get their relic over with.

That too, people will kick and drop from runs for the weirdest reasons. But like, what really gets me is why can't we do unsynched random runs of this poo poo? Or run with an undersized party. If we're missing one healer we can still down shiva extreme. I've killed worse bosses with less people after someone rage quit. Like once you're in the fight it doesn't matter how many people drop out, you can keep trying. But they straight up don't let you try until you have a full party and that's what drives me nuts. You can't even do anything while you're waiting because IIRC you can't change class, so you can't level anything else. The only thing you can do, is other quests but even then if your que pops while you're questing then when it's over you're going to pop back out into a hostile area full of enemies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The thing that got me to permanently unsubscribe from FF14 was, I waited an hour for a dungeon queue that I had to do, got a group of randos that bitched the entire time, took all the loot either via the chance roll or by just jacking it before anyone could even look at it, then kicked me just before the final boss because I wasn't "pulling my weight" even though I was the main distraction for drawing aggro the entire time. Moreso than not putting up with that poo poo, I'm not putting up with a game that enables that poo poo in the first place.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The thing that got me to permanently unsubscribe from FF14 was, I waited an hour for a dungeon queue that I had to do, got a group of randos that bitched the entire time, took all the loot either via the chance roll or by just jacking it before anyone could even look at it, then kicked me just before the final boss because I wasn't "pulling my weight" even though I was the main distraction for drawing aggro the entire time. Moreso than not putting up with that poo poo, I'm not putting up with a game that enables that poo poo in the first place.
Yeah I'm on the fence about resubbing for a while when my time runs out :shrug: it's a fun game but everything is built to just take forever. Like, another thing is the crafting quests. I recently hit 30 in black smithing, and the quest was to make a high quality axe for someone. Except every single material for the axe was something that required a pretty high level gathering profession to get, you couldn't buy it from any vendor, and it gets worse and worse as it goes on to the point where you need high level crafting professions to make things in other crafting professions and unless you want to multiply all your grinding by like, five fold then you're going to have to buy it from other players who are more than happy to jack up the price by obscene amounts for even common materials.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

CJacobs posted:

took all the loot either via the chance roll or by just jacking it before anyone could even look at it,

I'll admit I'm not particularly experienced with multiplayer games, but I can't think of any excuse, ever, to not give every player their own instance of any loot. All the alternative is going to cause is arguments and bitterness. That's my thing dragging games down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I'll admit I'm not particularly experienced with multiplayer games, but I can't think of any excuse, ever, to not give every player their own instance of any loot. All the alternative is going to cause is arguments and bitterness. That's my thing dragging games down.

I'm convinced MMOs are designed to make player groups self destruct before they can finish all of the content. It's pretty sad though when even sega is more ahead of the times than you are, since PSO2 at least manages to give everyone their own items this time around.

Leal posted:

Oh yeah, its great if you're in a group and you see a player of one class is wearing clearly superior gear and something drops for that class that you can use (FF14 lets you freely swap between classes) and figure "Well he's wearing 240 and this is 220 so he wont need this so here's hoping my greed roll wins!"

And they need it, ensuring they're the only one to roll for it. Or hell, if you're also that class while wearing weaker gear and they have better and an upgrade for you drops and they also need it and win the roll.
I swear I'm the only person on my server who uses the greed function at all. Even then I'll only use it on something I might want but isn't a direct upgrade for the class I'm using. Everyone else just needs on everything they vaguely want. It really sucks when a minion drops because then everyone needs on it so they can resell it.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Aug 11, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh yeah, its great if you're in a group and you see a player of one class is wearing clearly superior gear and something drops for that class that you can use (FF14 lets you freely swap between classes) and figure "Well he's wearing 240 and this is 220 so he wont need this so here's hoping my greed roll wins!"

And they need it, ensuring they're the only one to roll for it. Or hell, if you're also that class while wearing weaker gear and they have better and an upgrade for you drops and they also need it and win the roll.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I dunno why more games don't adopt what GW2 does where loot is instanced for you.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Alteisen posted:

Yea I dunno why more games don't adopt what GW2 does where loot is instanced for you.

Because MMO games are built around making their players so mad at each other they don't notice that the game isn't worth the time it takes to do anything

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I quit playing FF14 in about a week because I got bored of the bland quest and world design, but all my experiences with the community were great. Short dungeon queues, everyone was super friendly and helpful, etc.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Or the DDO model where loot is both instanced and even if it binds freely redistributable within the group until looted. Seriously, Guild Wars was not the first game to do it and it didn't even do it that well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
City of Heroes had a great system of not giving a gently caress and just gave everyone entirely separate drops. And the body count was so ridiculously high (especially in teams) that you were bound to get some rare and expensive loot by law of averages if nothing else.

The thing dragging City of Heroes down is the whole feel of 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone'. That game was so understatedly good at so many little things that a lot of players (myself included) kinda took all of it for granted until the game shut down and we realized CoH was the only one doing a lot of that.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Aug 11, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Alteisen posted:

But think of the impact on the oh-so-important in-game economy!!!!

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
FF14's problem is that it has a decent combat system but everything else in the game ends up being soooo loving boring and rather than making new fun stuff most of the "content" in the game is go run this old stuff you've already done a thousand times. This is combined with the fact that most of this old stuff is braindead easy.

Also their level scaling system is the most frustrating poo poo ever. It seems like a good idea except the lower levels are so loving bad for almost every class. If you play the dope as gently caress lance class you literally spam one button all the way until level 26 so hopefully you're not randomed into the < 26 dungeons! Which you always will be because even if there are four level 40s or something, there's still a pretty decent chance of it picking the lowest level dungeon possible for roulette.

So yeah they have the makings of a fun game but holy poo poo the game design itself is set like 10 years in the past. I'm pretty sure mmo designers don't play other mmos because they all end up being awful for really similar reasons

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
The best (only) way to get better gear if you're not doing the :spergin: hardcore raids is to grind a currency up to a cap of 450 a week. The best way to do this is to do a roulette almost every day which has a whole 2 dungeons in it that update each patch (happens every 3-4 months). Looking it up an entire set of gear for ONE CLASS is 5,760 tomestones which takes 13 weeks (3-4 months :v:)

I hate really lovely game design that only exists to squeeze out as much subscription time as possible out of your players

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're not doing the raids you don't need that gear anyway.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cleretic posted:

City of Heroes had a great system of not giving a gently caress and just gave everyone entirely separate drops. And the body count was so ridiculously high (especially in teams) that you were bound to get some rare and expensive loot by law of averages if nothing else.

The thing dragging City of Heroes down is the whole feel of 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone'. That game was so understatedly good at so many little things that a lot of players (myself included) kinda took all of it for granted until the game shut down and we realized CoH was the only one doing a lot of that.

like what?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I got No Man's Sky on a complete whim after missing the entire hype train leading up to it, and it's really fuckin' cool in my opinion. But - you can name plants, animals, and planets that you will in all likelihood never ever return to or see again, but you can't rename your ship that you spend a ton of time in? I just bought a new badass ship and it's awesome but the name suuuuucks.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Loot systems!

Ffxi has been around so long that se has been able to screw around with all sorts of events and loot distribution schemes. Here are some recent setups.

Escha NMs. one key item for party lead to pop the nm, anothet key item bought with points to participate in the fight. Main loot pool is party wide with 1-2 equipment drops, 2-8 upgrade item slots. Personal pool with 0-4 slots, usually a single upgtade item drops, rarely you get a piece of equipment in your pp.

Escha dragons. One key item to participate. No limit on participants. Half hour time limit when he spawns. Evaluations every 5 min or so based on damage done, amount cured, etc. If the dragon is killed, each person gets a personal pool with 1 slot chance at gear, up to 4 slots upgrade items.

Ambuscade. A farmed key item for each party member (go kill 10 of monster type x). Key item is only lost when the fight is won. No reward pool at the end of the fight but you get a set amount of hallmark points based on fight difficulty chosen and a set number of gallantry points based on number of pt members (more pt members is better. Do it solo and you get 0). There are three lists. First and second you can buy equipment and materials with each point type, third list is a set, accumulate x points over the length of 1 month to get a specific item.

Delve. Timed event with 5 really hard nm and a final boss. The 5 nm could also be spawned outside of the event to farm for gear or beads. Each nm/boss has a party pool when killed and gives points. Once you participate in that nm/boss kill you can buy any drop from that specific nm/boss for points. Beads from outside of the event can be used in the event to prevent up to 3 NM from spawning, so you end up with only 2 nm and the boss to kill. Points are based on a multiplier so you get the most from doing 5+1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
mmo's sound like a terrible thing to waste your adult life on