Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
God, this Des Moines event has kicked the game into a CA feeding frenzy. I've never seen so many cruisers in games before.

AND I HAVE TO WORK ALL THIS WEEK ARGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Hazdoc posted:

God, this Des Moines event has kicked the game into a CA feeding frenzy. I've never seen so many cruisers in games before.

AND I HAVE TO WORK ALL THIS WEEK ARGH

Same here, but at least I got the pepsi-cola at a 30% discount.

wdarkk posted:

Ugh.

I was originally planning to use my Murmansk captain to climb the ranks of the Soviet Cruiser tree, but I discovered a slight problem. As a 13-point captain, he requires almost 40kXP to credit-retrain per ship. Alternatively, I could spend 500 gold per ship.

ARGH. Maybe I'll just use a different captain for the Kirov/Budyonny/Schors and then gold retrain him into the Chapayev, the actual ship I want.

After a certain Tier captain, I've just given up on retraining for silver and just use the gold.

Also, it's frustrating blowing hot and cold in this game. Sometimes I'm doing wonderful and other times I'm doing terribly. Not being a night person plus watching Netflix / Amazon on the other monitor probably doesn't help the bad day. :smith:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So after my amazing first game in Pensa I've come back down to earth a bit. Having now played Yorck, Myoko and Pensa, I would rate them in that order but there's not much in it. One thing I will say about the Pensa though, its an amazing flat track bully. That is, it excels when top-tiered more so than the other two IMO. But overall I think the Yorck is the better ship. I haven't played the Schcorcsc but I've divved with Burt and he really likes it, more than the other 3. If its just a Buddy with 3 more guns then it would be amazing.

MoraleHazard posted:

After a certain Tier captain, I've just given up on retraining for silver and just use the gold.

I think the re-training situation depends on the tier and type of ship, and access to Premiums. eg I think retraining a DD captain into T8+ practically requires doubloons in order to get Situation Awareness and Concealment Expert up. I'm guessing CV players would say the same about Air Supremacy.

I retrained a 14 point captain into my Pensa and just paid 200k credits. That left about 40k XP to complete the retraining but I was able to knock that out in less than 10 games in Atlanta with flags, and the skills are all useful for Atlanta too. At 15 points, that 40k is probably closer to 80k so I think I will use Doubloons when moving to New Orleans.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

So after my amazing first game in Pensa I've come back down to earth a bit. Having now played Yorck, Myoko and Pensa, I would rate them in that order but there's not much in it. One thing I will say about the Pensa though, its an amazing flat track bully. That is, it excels when top-tiered more so than the other two IMO. But overall I think the Yorck is the better ship. I haven't played the Schcorcsc but I've divved with Burt and he really likes it, more than the other 3. If its just a Buddy with 3 more guns then it would be amazing.

I think the re-training situation depends on the tier and type of ship, and access to Premiums. eg I think retraining a DD captain into T8+ practically requires doubloons in order to get Situation Awareness and Concealment Expert up. I'm guessing CV players would say the same about Air Supremacy.

I retrained a 14 point captain into my Pensa and just paid 200k credits. That left about 40k XP to complete the retraining but I was able to knock that out in less than 10 games in Atlanta with flags, and the skills are all useful for Atlanta too. At 15 points, that 40k is probably closer to 80k so I think I will use Doubloons when moving to New Orleans.

What do you like about the Yorck and how do you play it? I've been having a hard time with that ship with its slow turning turrets and weak armor.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

kaesarsosei posted:

I haven't played the Schcorcsc

Shchorscht.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Chapaev (the real person) died by drowning. Is it really a fittng name for a ship?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I might blow xp to get through the loving Svietlania because I just can't play it.. lost every match I was in last night and did terrible even by my bad standards.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

demonR6 posted:

I might blow xp to get through the loving Svietlania because I just can't play it.. lost every match I was in last night and did terrible even by my bad standards.

I had a few good matches, a few OK matches, and a fair amount of "oh a Fuso got a Devastating Strike on me" matches. Even if the engine is a little less likely to break it still is kind of a pain, and it's only tier 4 so skipping it isn't that big a deal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

demonR6 posted:

It's like they copied the Phoenix from a picture, and crammed it all over with guns, but made it steer like a brick because you can't see engines and rudders in a photo.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

If I'm going to try playing this for the first time should I bother looking around for an invite code or not?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TheFlyingLlama posted:

If I'm going to try playing this for the first time should I bother looking around for an invite code or not?

I think the Reddit has a standing invite code for some gold, a week of premium, and a t2 premium

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Probably. 1,000 gold isn't much, but it's 3 port slots, and that's one of the few things you can't just brute force your way around.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

demonR6 posted:

I find the kirov to be worse.

Suicide torp rush BB groups with the sveltana, gives solid xp if it works and you don't have to suffer that poo poo boat for long.
Also murder DDs with HE when heading to the BBs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvFjJLITAM

Krogort fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 20, 2016

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

drat, the only one I can find on the reddit is expired. Ah well

Found one through alienware instead. Got something called a Tachibana destroyer

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 20, 2016

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

What do you like about the Yorck and how do you play it? I've been having a hard time with that ship with its slow turning turrets and weak armor.

It's certainly not very good, but the guns are at least accurate with a decent rof. I think its straight up as good if not better than the New Orleans (which im currently struggling through) despite the tier difference.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I don't know why but the Yorck really clicked for me. I knew the golden rule of HE at >10km on all targets, and AP on CA's and BB's under 10k and that served me well. Its very maneuverable, has good arcs on its guns (ie takes little wiggling to get all turrets on target), and the actual shell trajectory of the HE rounds is very good too. Its quite compact, feels a lot tougher than Myoko and Pensa. I think it has the element of being under-rated too and hence perhaps ignored more than the pinata-Pensa, or the Myoko which is seen as the OP T7 CA.

I also ran with the improved German Sonar and that gave me a lot of confidence hunting DDs. If you solo-sink a DD you are basically guaranteed a good score in any match. I don't think there's many ships better for the task, esp since you have HE loaded anyway.

According to Warshipstoday I won 66% of my 59 games in it and had a rating of 1594 so it was definately a good ship for me.

I went to the Hipper and because that was my original end-goal for the German line, spent the 3k doubloons on the permanent camo and am intensely regretting it. I haven't got that ship to work for me at all, but it may simply be the T8 MM. T10s are tough on any cruiser without Concealment maxed out.

Edit: As per previous post, the ROF on Yorck is a major bonus. The Pensa has a 15 sec reload! Yorck off the top of my head felt about half that.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

demonR6 posted:

Svetlana is actually really good when fully upgraded. Don't underrate the gun/turret upgrade, the numbers look worse but the shell arc improvement is like going from Atlanta to Zao. But by the time you might get used to the ship you will be done and at Kirov, which is a piece of trash.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

I don't know why but the Yorck really clicked for me. I knew the golden rule of HE at >10km on all targets, and AP on CA's and BB's under 10k and that served me well. Its very maneuverable, has good arcs on its guns (ie takes little wiggling to get all turrets on target), and the actual shell trajectory of the HE rounds is very good too. Its quite compact, feels a lot tougher than Myoko and Pensa. I think it has the element of being under-rated too and hence perhaps ignored more than the pinata-Pensa, or the Myoko which is seen as the OP T7 CA.

I also ran with the improved German Sonar and that gave me a lot of confidence hunting DDs. If you solo-sink a DD you are basically guaranteed a good score in any match. I don't think there's many ships better for the task, esp since you have HE loaded anyway.

According to Warshipstoday I won 66% of my 59 games in it and had a rating of 1594 so it was definately a good ship for me.

I went to the Hipper and because that was my original end-goal for the German line, spent the 3k doubloons on the permanent camo and am intensely regretting it. I haven't got that ship to work for me at all, but it may simply be the T8 MM. T10s are tough on any cruiser without Concealment maxed out.

Edit: As per previous post, the ROF on Yorck is a major bonus. The Pensa has a 15 sec reload! Yorck off the top of my head felt about half that.

Its still 12 seconds on the Yorck but man it feels so much faster, especially when you are trying to finish off that stupid destroyer before he gets behind an island. Had a Confederate/High Caliber game last night in the Yorck (in a tier 8 match too!). I don't see that happening in the New Orleans anytime soon.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
IMO Svetlana hampered by combination of less damaging guns and her glacial fire rate. You dont really put more shells in the air then your peers do and their shells do more damage. Weakest tier4 cruiser in my book.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 20, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Svietlana only does a rather low amount of damage more than the Kuma, but is significantly less maneuverable, significantly more prone to losing engine power, can't really stealth the same way a Kuma can, and it's torps pale in comparison.

tl:dr KUMA

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Kuma owns.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

I bitterly regret not getting in early enough to snag a Kitakami.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I had a good game with the Yorck today, and an outstanding one with the Pepsicola. Yeah, solo-killing a DD, does give a lot points, doing to 3 of them definitely gives a lot of points:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I hope the Kirov is an improvement over the Bogy and the Svietlana, because so far those are both terrible. Also be nice if just maybe every round wasn't me seeing tier 6 and being one of 3 tier 4s in a tier 5 game.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 21, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CitizenKain posted:

I hope the Kirov is an improvement over the Bogy and the Svietlana, because so far those are both terrible.

Kirov is waaay better than those, it his harder from longer range with better arcs than any other T5 cruiser. It's also got ambush torps in good arcs to boot, It's only failing is the gigantic turning circle and mediocre armor.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Kirov is waaay better than those, it his harder from longer range with better arcs than any other T5 cruiser. It's also got ambush torps in good arcs to boot, It's only failing is the gigantic turning circle and mediocre armor.

I need to find the midpoint between being so close I get hypermurdered, and being so far back I can't crack 900 base XP due to lack of good shots.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Got my first kraken today! Was in my zuiho as the only carrier on my side, against a bogue. After he lost all his bombers to our cruisers he went afk. I proceeded to sink 2 bbs, 2 cruisers, and the enemy carrier. Was such a great game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

With a range of 16.3km, you outrange Furutaka by over 3 km, Omaha by 1.5, and only lose 0.2 to Konigsberg, which you significantly outgun at that range because German HE is crap, both in damage and travel time, and, while it does have very good AP, 152mm is going to have difficulty penetrating well at extreme range unless you're being stupid. You're also the fastest T5 cruiser so, while your turning radius is admittedly bad, you have a fair amount of leeway in dictating terms of engagement - this is also mitigated by still having a reasonable rudder shift, which means even with your terrible turn radius you should still be able to dodge a fair bit of fire. Your shell flight time, arcs and accuracy with both varieties of ammunition are very good too, so you really shouldn't be having much trouble hitting most targets out to nearly that range either.

Hell, you match or outrange EVERY IJN and USN cruiser in the entirety of their lines, not counting the range increase mod that T9+ has access to, so you're actually in a reasonably good position even when uptiered. I actually really think that's something of an issue, but more in that they have too short of a range and it needs to be increased at least slightly(at least for those without access to the mod).

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I would take a Konigsberg vs Kirov any day of the week. In fact 1v1, assuming equally skilled players, I would give Kirov zero chance. I can't think of single scenario where I would rather be in a Kirov.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

I would take a Konigsberg vs Kirov any day of the week. In fact 1v1, assuming equally skilled players, I would give Kirov zero chance. I can't think of single scenario where I would rather be in a Kirov.

It is as if the konigsberg is especially built to destroy the kirov.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I would say that if you play cruisers a lot and are good at cruisers then up to tier 7 at least the USSR line is very good.

If you play WoT then it is the French medium line style of play. Fast, poo poo out damage, punch way above their weight but die if you look at them too hard.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
So like the IJN line but worse.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So now that I'm in my Amagi, I'm occasionally getting tier 10 battles. It seems like every tier 10 battle I get into is undersized, and if there's a tier 10 carrier it's just basically moving around and getting annihilated by planes or torpedoes launched by invisible destroyers, usually before the shooting even starts.

Is this how the endgame is at the moment or was this unusual?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So now that I'm in my Amagi, I'm occasionally getting tier 10 battles. It seems like every tier 10 battle I get into is undersized, and if there's a tier 10 carrier it's just basically moving around and getting annihilated by planes or torpedoes launched by invisible destroyers, usually before the shooting even starts.

There's a reason I don't play my Zao much, and it's that I don't really like the T10 meta.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's nothing wrong with the Montana!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVh15xgGAxk&t=480s

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It may not seem impressive to you people, but I finally unlocked my Fuso last night, so yay. Final match in my Kongo was a rather tense game that came down to our side having my Kongo, a friendly warspite, a cruiser, and 2 destroyers vs a full health nagato, 3 cruisers, and a destroyer, while my team tried to ensure we kept at least 2 of the zones without either of the battleships on our side exposing ourselves to the Nagato. It got a single volley off on me, with me having my armor mostly angled, and that volley took off half of my health. Only reason I survived is that the Nagato couldn't match my Kongo's speed.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Tier 10 was already worse than mid tier in the alpha. It hasn't gotten better since then.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

What a Pepsicola can do.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

Pubs just can't stand the large difference between the HE and AP shells on the Yorck - note that most shells and velocities change only a little going from HE<>AP on almost every other boat. Yorck has the widest disparity in shell performance, for sure. However it's a solid t7 cruiser. The HE shells do decent damage and fire rate, the AP shells hit like a truck close range, and German Sonar is awesome.

Secret Pro Strat: if you catch a battleship at 15 km that's not changing course and have already set a few HE salvos their way, and are extremely comfortable with the very large AP lead, sending AP shots into his deck will rack up considerable damage.

For experience's sake, Yorck stats : 70% winrate, 2,049 WTR.

kaesarsosei posted:

T8-10 cruiser play is tougher than other boat types with the current T10 meta. It doesn't help that Hipper is a terrible boat that can't turn fast enough to not get blapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hey apologise if these have been done to death but I just had a couple of questions:

1. How good/bad is the German Cruiser line? I heard that it has a rough tier IV and that the cruiser meta is a bit rough currently. Despite this is it a good line go up?

2. Is there any good tips to shooting more accurately? I always seem to over/undershoot slightly while also hitting the edge or the front of the enemy boat.

Thanks for the help!