Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Fortis posted:

On the TE front, have you considered a mob spawning machine? With the morbs and fluid XP, all the prerequisites are there. I know that's not exactly missing from modded MC but the Thermal series is my favorite tech mod set, so not having to add an additional mod to have a reliable mob spawner would be pretty amazing.

The centrifuge machine has an augment called the "Enstabulator" that dismembers mobs inside of morbs for their drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The centrifuge machine has an augment called the "Enstabulator" that dismembers mobs inside of morbs for their drops.

:doh: I was even planning on saying gently caress the haters, the Enstabulator is a great idea and a novel way to handle mob 'spawers', until I completely forgot about it. It's early where I am, my bad.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Fortis posted:

I suggested a well-dressed, handsome Enderman mob who kidnaps you and teleports you 10k blocks away from your base, aka the Photogenic Isolator, on Twitter last year and you never implemented it! <:mad:>

In all seriousness I just want you to know that I absolutely love Thermal Innovation, it's really excellent. The IE drill is cool and all but needing to replace the head is a drag and biodiesel is annoying and the Tech Reborn drill is total trash, but the Fluxbore is a goddamn dream come true. The only problem I've ever had with the Fluxbore (and this is probably not on your end, but who knows) is that it doesn't count as a pickaxe according to Thaumcraft so I can't add Refining IV to it via infusion to be drowning in native ore clusters. :getin:

Although, now that I think about it, a 1x3 or 1x4 tunnel mode (like the Flux-Infused Pickaxe from RA has) would be pretty great on the Fluxbore.

More TI stuff in general would be great, although it feels fairly complete as it is. Maybe an Auto Crossbow? That would work pretty well with the quivers, although I guess it could be overpowered.

On the TE front, have you considered a mob spawning machine? With the morbs and fluid XP, all the prerequisites are there. I know that's not exactly missing from modded MC but the Thermal series is my favorite tech mod set, so not having to add an additional mod to have a reliable mob spawner would be pretty amazing. This is what the Enstabulator in the centrifuge is for I'm a dope.

Re: Photogenic Isolator - I have wanted to make a mob mod for a while now. I don't remember the tweet offhand but drat I actually kinda like it. Lemme see if I can get artwork. :)

As far as the Fluxbore goes, I'll think on the tunnel thing. I wanted some way of differentiating it from the Fluxsaw and felt like 1x2 on the drill and 1x3 on the saw was a good start, but I'm not particularly invested in the idea.

Thaumcraft not recognizing it as a pickaxe is something I'll need to poke Azanor about. It most certainly is registered as a pickaxe. :)

There's more TI stuff coming, I just want to be sure that what currently exists in the mod is polished and not broken. And I think I'm there. Current plans are to bring back the FluiVac and add an oversized crossbow that launches spherical ammo, an Orbalest if you will.

Some sort of laser is in the cards and I actually have artwork for it but I don't want to step on the Fluxbore. So still pondering how to balance that.

And yeah, the Enstabulator is sort of my auto-kill solution (and codewise it's sort of a nightmare, need to figure that out better), but as far as spawning mobs...I'd probably make a separate mod for that, tbh.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of don't want to, but also kind of do want to ask about armor that can be augmented with different effects. Maybe each piece has an augment slot and a bunch of augments to choose from. Powered with RF and somehow TE-themed in what they do. Something more mechanical than the boons, say, Blood Magic armor can give, maybe.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Black Pants posted:

I kind of don't want to, but also kind of do want to ask about armor that can be augmented with different effects. Maybe each piece has an augment slot and a bunch of augments to choose from. Powered with RF and somehow TE-themed in what they do. Something more mechanical than the boons, say, Blood Magic armor can give, maybe.

Augments that charge the suit with RF from walking/moving/mining/sunlight/explosions/fighting - like that silly static generator where you shuffle in rubber boots on wool.

Maybe a tool that you can zap power from suit/inventory capacitors, directly into a machine. Sometimes you're doing a one-off machine and don't want to set up ducts and it'd be nice to juice it up quickly.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Thermal Innovation does seem like a good place to put a Modular Powersuits-esque set of armor.

Personally I’d like to see more put into Thermal Cultivation. I like your mods and I like farming, so it’s sad to only see that lonely little watering can in the TC documentation.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

runchild posted:

Thermal Innovation does seem like a good place to put a Modular Powersuits-esque set of armor.

Personally I’d like to see more put into Thermal Cultivation. I like your mods and I like farming, so it’s sad to only see that lonely little watering can in the TC documentation.

Yes. There's a huge todo list with this one. The problem is that we initially were planning on 1.13 for most of the content, since farming stuff is sort of block ID heavy, and 1.13 does away with that limit.

I'll try and add a few things as I'm able. Design-wise, I'm hoping for a cross between Forestry and Harvestcraft, with some Thermal influence.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

make sure that the crops from the COFH crop mod have stats that can be improved by laborious, repetitive grinding, such as yield, growth rate, hardiness against weeds, and amount of clay needed to ensure proper balance

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i would like Thermal Cultivation to introduce runner ducks

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I was about to jokingly suggest spider breeding but that might actually be a good idea. You'd harvest silk and venom from them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I was about to jokingly suggest spider breeding but that might actually be a good idea. You'd harvest silk and venom from them.

Hostile mob husbandry? Breed a line of creepers that explode into diamonds!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

McFrugal posted:

i would enjoy this

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Exoria - short on iron? no problem! you probably have shitloads of tin, so turn it all into plates and then buckets and bung them through the induction smelter. hey presto! iron!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Exoria - short on iron? no problem! you probably have shitloads of tin, so turn it all into plates and then buckets and bung them through the induction smelter. hey presto! iron!

jesus gently caress where was this advice like two days ago augh

(that owns)

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

jesus gently caress where was this advice like two days ago augh

(that owns)

Well that was unforeseen. Ah well, hah.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

McFrugal posted:

Actually, mob breeding sounds awesome and I don't think it's been done before. You could get drops like a traditional mob grinder, but without the murder. Could be a great alternative for skyblock maps.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

KingLemming posted:

Well that was unforeseen. Ah well, hah.

This is in the Exoria modpack, where buckets are made from tin plates. It's on the modpack dev to find and stamp out these sorts of things, usually. :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bucket alchemy using the induction smelter is a longstanding tradition. any pack where you can make a bucket out of different metals tends to run into it

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Wow. Embers' ingame book is pretty loving terrible isn't it? Like yeah it explains some things but the layout is confusing as poo poo and it's vague as hell on a lot of things and it doesn't show any recipes.

How the gently caress does the Atmospheric Gauge work? I wandered around with it and it looked like a good reading was in a certain direction so I went that way. Then after a while it seemed like the needle was going down if I kept going that direction so I figured I overshot. I walked back and the needle readings were different than they were before. I walk even further back and I get a stronger reading from a different direction now?! It's like the ember readings fluctuate so there's no way to tell if a certain chunk is better than average or not. I presume there are special chunks that have REALLY high readings since there'd be no point otherwise, but if everything fluctuates how am I supposed to tell when I'm near one?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Wow. Embers' ingame book is pretty loving terrible isn't it? Like yeah it explains some things but the layout is confusing as poo poo and it's vague as hell on a lot of things and it doesn't show any recipes.

How the gently caress does the Atmospheric Gauge work? I wandered around with it and it looked like a good reading was in a certain direction so I went that way. Then after a while it seemed like the needle was going down if I kept going that direction so I figured I overshot. I walked back and the needle readings were different than they were before. I walk even further back and I get a stronger reading from a different direction now?! It's like the ember readings fluctuate so there's no way to tell if a certain chunk is better than average or not. I presume there are special chunks that have REALLY high readings since there'd be no point otherwise, but if everything fluctuates how am I supposed to tell when I'm near one?

The book suffers from the fact that each entry only gets one page. That limits how much it can describe.

The atmospheric gauge seemed fairly pointless to me. It just tells you if one chunk is slightly better or not. It’s not like you can exhaust the Ember in one chunk, as far as I can tell.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah I think I'm going to ignore the gauge, seems like a given chunk can have readings as low as 10% or as high as 50% over time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i would suggest cheating in large amounts of ember

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i would suggest cheating in large amounts of ember

i mean, the ember bore isn't hard, you place it down on a 3x3 flat area touching bedrock, slap a mechanical doohickey on top, then pipe charcoal into it and pull ember poo poo out with pipes

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Okay, alternate mob breeding method brainstorming

Currently the usual tactic is to generate a large number of passive mobs and killing them for in world drops. You sorta have a choice between vanilla breeding being automated, or hostile mobs appearing in darkness/spawners. Maybe a method of breeding hostile mobs to make more dangerous versions that drop more/better loot? You would need to build morb dispensing chambers sealed off to control where mobs go, which would be neat. Although breeding monsters that appear in darkness is weird, maybe you could change the darkness itself? Define a zone, any hostile mobs that spawn in that darkness are better. Could reduce a large spawn pad to one dark room enhanced by the machine.

There are ways to make normal resource generation weird and different, presenting different engineering tasks for automating than what we are used to.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't really get the enstabulator. You need to keep feeding it morbs right? So how can it work as a spawner? Don't you need to keep capturing mobs?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i mean, the ember bore isn't hard, you place it down on a 3x3 flat area touching bedrock, slap a mechanical doohickey on top, then pipe charcoal into it and pull ember poo poo out with pipes

oh no it's not hard. it's just slow and dull, like everything in embers

Blind Duke posted:

Okay, alternate mob breeding method brainstorming

Currently the usual tactic is to generate a large number of passive mobs and killing them for in world drops. You sorta have a choice between vanilla breeding being automated, or hostile mobs appearing in darkness/spawners. Maybe a method of breeding hostile mobs to make more dangerous versions that drop more/better loot? You would need to build morb dispensing chambers sealed off to control where mobs go, which would be neat. Although breeding monsters that appear in darkness is weird, maybe you could change the darkness itself? Define a zone, any hostile mobs that spawn in that darkness are better. Could reduce a large spawn pad to one dark room enhanced by the machine.

There are ways to make normal resource generation weird and different, presenting different engineering tasks for automating than what we are used to.

i like the idea of having, like, one captive in-world mob that you somehow get resources out of. maybe pump various fluids into a weird biotank that you have it floating in, and get resources based on that - the type of fluid determines both drops and item spawn rate

basically some excuse for mass-automating the cool fluids that thermex adds. a use for liquid mana!

pump liquid ender into the tank and oh no where'd it go hisssss

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

i like the idea of having, like, one captive in-world mob that you somehow get resources out of. maybe pump various fluids into a weird biotank that you have it floating in, and get resources based on that - the type of fluid determines both drops and item spawn rate

basically some excuse for mass-automating the cool fluids that thermex adds. a use for liquid mana!

pump liquid ender into the tank and oh no where'd it go hisssss
This sounds loving cool as hell though.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Vib Rib posted:

I don't really get the enstabulator. You need to keep feeding it morbs right? So how can it work as a spawner? Don't you need to keep capturing mobs?

Yeah, you do, but you can automate that. There's no actual "spawner" block, but the Creature Encaptulator will take Morbs and catch things for you. I'm pondering an actual spawner block for another mod later.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

which of you horrible people came up with "grassoline"

i am not sure i can forgive such a terrible pun

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

This sounds loving cool as hell though.

to expand on this, i was thinking the mob spawner complex would be replaced by an array of tanks, each with a vanilla mob in, each giving a set of items when provided with fluids. while i'd quite like to sort out The Vats and the requisite pipework/liquid automation, the difficulty is in functionally differentiating this from the morb/centrifuge thing that already exists.

you'd maybe have to have the mobs explicitly not drop their normal drops, and have it based mostly on mob health/liquid provided - e.g. pump in liquid signalum to get a stack of clay or something and do 20 hearts of damage to the captive creature, pump in lava to get blaze rods and do 10 hearts of fire damage. having weird outliers like "cheap aerotheum if you can make a chicken survive 40 damage" would also provide incentive to mass produce and distribute potions to the vats. maybe redstone usage to ensure you don't overdose them

it'd be significantly easier if you have just one new special creature that you pump fluid into, but then really all you've got is a new crafting table

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

probably some chemist in the 90s

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fortis posted:

I suggested a well-dressed, handsome Enderman mob who kidnaps you and teleports you 10k blocks away from your base, aka the Photogenic Isolator, on Twitter last year and you never implemented it! <:mad:>

:frogout:

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Realistically, I've been doing 95% of everything mod-related for a good long while now, including the naming of things.

As far as the team goes, Tonius handles the website, Covers does render magic + Jenkins. Skyboy has been inactive for a while but recently got motivated and did the CoFH World work this last go round.

So basically...literally every terrible amazing pun is my fault brilliance at work.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

KingLemming posted:

Realistically, I've been doing 95% of everything mod-related for a good long while now, including the naming of things.

As far as the team goes, Tonius handles the website, Covers does render magic + Jenkins. Skyboy has been inactive for a while but recently got motivated and did the CoFH World work this last go round.

So basically...literally every terrible amazing pun is my fault brilliance at work.

You should make a mod called "LemmingTech" that's just a textured block that says "gently caress gregtech" as a gag.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
The creative naming of things is one of the best parts of the Thermal mods. Everything has a pseudoscience name that definitely suggests what it probably does but also being perfectly at home in a steampunk or sci-fi world. Enstabulation Apparatus gets honorable mention here.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Sorry to go back to the bee subject, but how does bee breeding actually work? Does it just randomly pick 2 of the 4 possibilities (active/inactive for both the princess and drone) for each trait, with some additional percentage chance for a mutation? Is there any way to lessen the chance of mutations? Are the active traits weighted?

I'm trying to breed a pure rock line in Exoria, but these mutations are killing me. I thought I was in good shape when I finally had a pure rock princess to breed with a rock-something hybrid drone, but I ended up with all apatite bees instead of any pure rock bees I was hoping for. So now I'm basically starting over with hot, wet bees trying to get me rock solid.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

VegasShirtGuy posted:

Sorry to go back to the bee subject, but how does bee breeding actually work? Does it just randomly pick 2 of the 4 possibilities (active/inactive for both the princess and drone) for each trait, with some additional percentage chance for a mutation? Is there any way to lessen the chance of mutations? Are the active traits weighted?

I'm trying to breed a pure rock line in Exoria, but these mutations are killing me. I thought I was in good shape when I finally had a pure rock princess to breed with a rock-something hybrid drone, but I ended up with all apatite bees instead of any pure rock bees I was hoping for. So now I'm basically starting over with hot, wet bees trying to get me rock solid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendelian_inheritance

With regards to mutations, using a Bee House instead of an Apiary eliminates the mutation chance. You aren't out of the woods in regards to mutations in an Apiary until the bees' recessive traits are eliminated. Use the portable analyzer to find these.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

With regards to mutations, using a Bee House instead of an Apiary eliminates the mutation chance.

Ah thanks this is the information I needed.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

quote:

bees, undesired mutations
Unfortunately this is a big problem in Exoria due to how high the mutation chance is, how few of them have requirements for the mutation, and how many mutations there are. Like everything at the start mutates with everything else, and then usually that result mutates with one of the first tier... You're going to use bee houses a lot.
On the other hand, this makes it easier to get to the Exoria species since you can immediately breed a rock bee with a fairy bee, without even bothering to get a purebred rock princess/drone. A hybrid rock bee would still work a good percentage of the time, enough that you probably won't lose the rock species trait before you get a Rune bee. Unfortunately once the Exoria gene shows up you're going to have to start using bee houses to get a breeding pair because of course Exoria mutates further, with Fairy.

Also a lot of bee species can brick on you. Initially the only biome you have is hot/arid so climate requirements can make it impossible for certain queens to work. Next biome you unlock is normal/normal but it's caves so you need the cave-dwelling trait.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 30, 2018

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

KingLemming posted:

So just dropping in here looking for some opinions. New CoFH stuff will be released in...oh, something like 12 hours I guess. Anyways, lately I've felt kind of drained by the community. It's nice to add stuff to the mods and all, but there feels like people are just tired of them. Or at least, some vocal complainers seem to be.

So, for those of you who play with the CoFH / Thermal stuff - what do you like / dislike, etc., and what would you like to see added to the mods? Or, what's something that modded MC is missing in general, but wouldn't be appropriate in Thermal?

As a sort of general take, my favorite part about the Thermal stuff is that it's easy to get started, with minimal busywork, and good expandability. It reminds me of Factorio in progression, where you're using your factory to expand your factory, rather than mining for hours to make incremental additions.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Thermal Expansion quarry, since I find the buildcraft stuff to be a bit more tedious to work with.

Overall though TE is my favorite set of mods and is really my gold standard for having fun in modded MC.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey KingLemming, maybe you can flush out that Magic Trees mod idea that everybody was talking themselves over in a frenzy. IIRC the idea was to make (and breed?) multiblock, tree-like things that do stuff.

I'd still like something to specify new types of machines with Thermal Expansion's UI but using just data files. I could use something like that to, like, replace most of Galacticraft's machines with ones that can have their sides configured. Or replace AE2's inscribers with ones that don't suck.