Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
In Whedon's hands, the only female Avenger does get to outsmart the lord of lies, but she also gets to be a sexy-dangerous wet-dream who gets called a oval office in the process, and in another movie she angsts about being neutered as part of her romance with Banner. This characterization is more complex than a Madonna-Whore trope, but it's still weird.

Honestly, I've never loved Natasha more than when, in Winter Soldier, she was a deadly, competent agent who texts with emoticons and makes stupid dad puns, and gets annoyingly invasive with her coworkers, and wears a lot of comfortable hoodies. And who gets to have complex feelings about Nick Fury as a father figure. She can be a loving weirdo with a layered history that eschews a lot of Sexy Spy stereotypes, and is more interesting for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't believe George Lucas loved the Confederacy all along!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Endless Mike posted:

Can't believe George Lucas loved the Confederacy all along!

The rebels in Firefly are undeniably much more Confederate themed in both costuming, vernacular, and symbology.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a little known fact that Robert E Lee was a Chinese speaking cowboy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The rebels in Firefly are undeniably much more Confederate themed in both costuming, vernacular, and symbology.

Star Wars is more American War of Independence than American Civil War.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Star Wars is more American War of Independence than American Civil War.
It's WW2 + the Vietnam War (with the Empire as America).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crisco Kid posted:

In Whedon's hands, the only female Avenger does get to outsmart the lord of lies, but she also gets to be a sexy-dangerous wet-dream who gets called a oval office in the process, and in another movie she angsts about being neutered as part of her romance with Banner. This characterization is more complex than a Madonna-Whore trope, but it's still weird.

Honestly, I've never loved Natasha more than when, in Winter Soldier, she was a deadly, competent agent who texts with emoticons and makes stupid dad puns, and gets annoyingly invasive with her coworkers, and wears a lot of comfortable hoodies. And who gets to have complex feelings about Nick Fury as a father figure. She can be a loving weirdo with a layered history that eschews a lot of Sexy Spy stereotypes, and is more interesting for it.
Best thing about Winter Soldier was them not shoehorning in a romance between her and Cap

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Best thing about Winter Soldier was them not shoehorning in a romance between her and Cap

It would only have detracted from the Cap/Bucky romance.

I maintain that Civil War is about the messiest love triangle yet filmed.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Two things stick out in my mind about Black Widow in Avengers. The already mentioned interrogation where she's called "a mewling quim" by the villain just before outsmarting him, and the following scene where she barely survives a run in with the Hulk. The former would be bad-rear end if not for the weird insult, which is completely out of place in a superhero movie marketed to children. The latter was problematic, as it simultaneously built up how dangerous a male character was at the expense of the only female character, and unintentionally brought to mind domestic abuse made worse by the sequels pairing of them romantically. Speaking of the sequel, the romance largely failed because it more or less sprung up out of nowhere. Suddenly, Widow is the Hulk's handler, practically singing lullaby's to him, and then later flirting with Banner at the bar. And while I can agree part of the "I'm a monster" was supposed to center on her upbringing as a weapon, it seems the writers didn't trust the audience to relate enough to this to properly compare her to the Hulk. So, instead of showing her past and the terrible things she's done, which would take up to much screen time in an already bloated movie, they use the shock of her being barren as a cheap shortcut, inadvertently comparing childless women to a violent, rage monster.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I mean he had an Avengers movie where the only girl Avenger's major scene was the villain calling her a oval office, then a sequel where the same character confessed she was a monster because she was sterile.

The Prima Nocta joke bothered me more than either of those.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

glitchwraith posted:

Two things stick out in my mind about Black Widow in Avengers. The already mentioned interrogation where she's called "a mewling quim" by the villain just before outsmarting him, and the following scene where she barely survives a run in with the Hulk. The former would be bad-rear end if not for the weird insult, which is completely out of place in a superhero movie marketed to children. The latter was problematic, as it simultaneously built up how dangerous a male character was at the expense of the only female character, and unintentionally brought to mind domestic abuse made worse by the sequels pairing of them romantically. Speaking of the sequel, the romance largely failed because it more or less sprung up out of nowhere. Suddenly, Widow is the Hulk's handler, practically singing lullaby's to him, and then later flirting with Banner at the bar. And while I can agree part of the "I'm a monster" was supposed to center on her upbringing as a weapon, it seems the writers didn't trust the audience to relate enough to this to properly compare her to the Hulk. So, instead of showing her past and the terrible things she's done, which would take up to much screen time in an already bloated movie, they use the shock of her being barren as a cheap shortcut, inadvertently comparing childless women to a violent, rage monster.

There isn't a child in America who knows what "mewling quim" means. There are barely any adults.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hot Take: Whedon certainly seems to have been a lovely husband, but on a scale of 1 to Woody Allen/Roman Polanski, this is barely a blip regarding a Hollywood personality's treatment of women. It's not even a Johnny Depp.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Prima Nocta joke bothered me more than either of those.

Wasn't that an RDJ ad lib?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

zoux posted:

There isn't a child in America who knows what "mewling quim" means. There are barely any adults.

I'm not so much worried about kids being exposed to bad words as question the thought process that leads your only female lead being called a oval office in a pg-13 friendly manner. Sure, you can get away with it, but why is it necessary? It's not like Loki was hurling archaic personal attacks at any of the male Avengers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

Hot Take: Whedon certainly seems to have been a lovely husband, but on a scale of 1 to Woody Allen/Roman Polanski, this is barely a blip regarding a Hollywood personality's treatment of women. It's not even a Johnny Depp.

Wasn't that an RDJ ad lib?

None of those dudes have repeatedly been given lucrative speaking gigs about feminism, or have think pieces written about what great feminist leaders they are. Whedon does. The debate with Whedon is, should people probably stop acting like he's this great feminist who's single handedly going to end the patriarchy by writing an endless stream of quipping waifs beating dudes up, and the answer is Yeah

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll never forget the university class I had where we were told to find and share a picture that we thought summed up "feminism" and briefly explain why, and one respondent came up with a photo of Joss Whedon.

The tutor's response was... Well, I didn't know it was possible to roll your eyes in writing, but they found a way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't really view the "tricking Loki into giving away his plan" as all that impressive since his plan was already in effect and too late to stop. I'm sure she could get Ozymandias to tell her his plan, too.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't really view the "tricking Loki into giving away his plan" as all that impressive since his plan was already in effect and too late to stop. I'm sure she could get Ozymandias to tell her his plan, too.

Fair point. It came off bad rear end in the moment, but in the long run didn't really make a difference.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember the Black Widow scenes where Coulson calls her in the middle of what's become a reverse interrogation, the part where she hops off Cap's shield to hijack one of the alien flying machines, and the Budapest banter. I completely overlooked "mewling quim" because I had no idea what the gently caress it meant and I really don't believe in being retroactively offended. Same for Prima Nocta, honestly.

Once again, being a lovely husband doesn't mean you cannot also be a feminist. If my girlfriend cheated on me, I wouldn't call her a racist.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
it's not just the cheating.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I like when BW made the wargames joke in Cap 2 or 3 because Cap shuts her down and she comes off as a huge dork.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, but I think he's saying that it's her only claim to fame in that movie. Her big scene was being called bad names by the villain. Which I guess you can make an argument for?

But that isn't her only thing. But her stuff in the movie is being called a oval office, barely surviving being killed by the hulk, then her part in the final battle; 2/3 things in the movie are not really that positive.

Widow is way better in Winter Soldier and Civil War. Even Iron Man 2 treats her better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Only thing I ever knew about Widow was from the DD comic way back and I remember liking her more than Elektra at least.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

twistedmentat posted:

being called a oval office

This is so weird. If someone calls you a pussy, would you say they called you a oval office if you retold the story?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
maybe not use a gendered insult

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The British are coming (to tell us oval office isn't that bad)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dragonshirt posted:

This is so weird. If someone calls you a pussy, would you say they called you a oval office if you retold the story?

Within context of the scene, Loki is clearly insulting her for being a woman. He might as well be calling her a stupid bitch.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

twistedmentat posted:

Within context of the scene, Loki is clearly insulting her for being a woman. He might as well be calling her a stupid bitch.

He literally called her a crying pussy, right? "Mewling quim"? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like there's a slippery slope in treating depictions of sexism as actual sexism. I'm not Whedon's biggest fan right now, but he's not the one and only writer who's ever had a villain -- or even a protagonist, in lots of cases -- say lovely sexist things.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dragonshirt posted:

He literally called her a crying pussy, right? "Mewling quim"? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

http://www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2015/03/12/mewling-quim/

Apparently it would be closer in tone to "whining oval office"

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

In movies no one asked for news, WB is trying to do a Joker origin now w/Todd Philips (Hangover, Old School) directing.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/joker-origin-film-todd-phillips-1202536083/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

fruit on the bottom posted:

http://www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2015/03/12/mewling-quim/

Apparently it would be closer in tone to "whining oval office"

Yea. oval office is more a insult for women (unless you're addressing a musician from Manchester), while Pussy is more aimed at men.

And yea I can see how having your villains be casually sexist or racist or any other kind of bigot is unnecessary in a lot of cases, especially it being Loki. He already wants to kill everyone, having him be a doucehbag doesn't add anything to his character. It would have been more in character if he had attacked her for just being a squishy, weak human, a bug under his Godlike boots. Maybe they felt it was repeating the "does an ant have an argument with a boot?" and wanted to avoid it?

God dammit, even those Joker fans I really hate would agree with me that one of the things that makes the Joker great is he is a complete cypher.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Distribute it like Clue but instead of different endings it's different 3/4 of the movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RevKrule posted:

In movies no one asked for news, WB is trying to do a Joker origin now w/Todd Philips (Hangover, Old School) directing.

Once again WB misses the point of one of their major characters

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Supposedly it isn't going to be connected to the DCU shared universe films and will be a stand alone thing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

RevKrule posted:

Nope times infinity.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Why do they keep going back to the Joker? It's both tired and tiring.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Have even DC themselves attempted the Joker origin story?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why do they keep going back to the Joker? It's both tired and tiring.

Movies with Joker in it make more money than movies without Joker in it, same with comic sales, and he consistently wins DC character popularity polls.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zoux posted:

The Killing Joke is probably the most famous example, but even within the context of that story he admits that he sometimes remembers it differently, and that if he absolutely must have a past, he would rather it be "multiple-choice".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

zoux posted:

Pretty much the only universal constants in any piece of media is that
The Joker was just a regular guy
Then he had a REALLY bad day

• Locked thread