Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BlackMK4 posted:

Definitely a Euro S50 cluster, nice find.

I thought all M3s had an oil temp gauge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I don't think so. Question is, is that plug-and-play for any E36? Because if so I must have one.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CornHolio posted:

I thought all M3s had an oil temp gauge.

Nope.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

That sounds f'n fantastic - I am assuming that is along the lines of the exhaust mods you suggested to me...

I am still in the process of getting one of these, videos like this are drat good inspiration.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The primary units are mph though. Wouldn't they be kph if it was euro only?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

CornHolio posted:

The primary units are mph though. Wouldn't they be kph if it was euro only?

It'd be a cluster out of a UK car. Note the 170mph speedo as well.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Not to mention the NA M3 redline is 1000rpm lower.

Also, I'm really impressed with the motion motorsport e36 underpanel. I had already torn my plastic one off and this much more securely locates the front end trim parts now.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 16, 2013

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Took a trip today (About 300 miles round trip) after finishing up my SAS Sim install. I noticed a SES light come on on the way down and checked it when I got home and got the following:

code:
DME   ->  E3/B1 - Ox.-s.control deviation, bank 1, too large
          E4/B1 - Ox.-s.control deviation, bank 2, too large
          Shadow-memory:
          E3/B1 - Ox.-s.control deviation, bank 1, too large
          E4/B1 - Ox.-s.control deviation, bank 2, too large
          7F/02 - Activation, solenoid valve, suction-jet pump
Only other weird symptom is my fuel gauge reading 3/4th after I filled it up less than a mile from my house on the way home.

I've read everything from Fuel Pump, to MAF, to exhaust leak, to intake boot cracked. Anyone have any experience with this code?

(If I had to wager a guess, it'd be the fuel pump. It's really loud/whiny at highway speed and I think I'm still on the original at 150k miles.)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

Not to mention the NA M3 redline is 1000rpm lower.

Also, I'm really impressed with the motion motorsport e36 underpanel. I had already torn my plastic one off and this much more securely locates the front end trim parts now.

I need this so bad, I have the front driver side plastic partially zip tied because it was hanging pretty low.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I took the car to a shop today to have them run a diagnostic and clear codes and stuff, and they gave me a 4 page printout of every error code the car has had. It seems every bulb has burned out once, and OH poo poo, somebody tried putting the seat back with something behind the seat preventing it from going back.

This car has sensors sensing sensors. The good news is the only light to come back on is the DSC light, which points to the steering angle sensors which did come up in the codes. This gamble seems to be paying off.

In other news, do you know what works better than BMW cupholders at holding cups?

BMW wheels!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

8ender posted:

My 1993 E34 525i is giving me grief right now. The power below 3k rpm is dismal, and even above 3k its not as great as it used to be. I suspected the VANOS seals but I unplugged the solenoid the other day and the idle and power problem got even worse, so the VANOS is still doing something. Its also not throwing any codes at all. Fuel mileage on the highway (>3k rpm) is okay, in the city its dismal.

I have one clue: something is "hissing". I can't tell if its coming from the exhaust or if its a vacuum leak. Its happening low enough to reflect the sound off the road. I did a smoke test with a cigar and couldn't see anything leaking. All the hoses check out. The hissing is dependent on engine load, and doesn't seem to be present at idle. The hissing seems to be happening right where i'm missing a lot of power, and i think it disappears at higher rpm when the power comes back. To give an example, if I try to accelerate at low speeds in say 3rd gear, I can get it to hiss louder or softer by pressing in the accelerator, even though the rpm isn't changing much at all.

The only other clue I have is that it just barely passed an e-test late last year. I think its either a vacuum leak I'm missing or the cat is plugged. Any ideas?

Following up on the above. I calculated my fuel mileage today after 100km and I'm getting a magnificent 13MPG highway. Something is terribly wrong but I can't track it down. Really thinking its the catalytic converter at this point.

Also I took the plugs out to inspect them and they look fine. The first three were bathed in a pool of oil stuck in the tube so I guess I'm looking at some seals now as well.

moondabor
Oct 23, 2003

Nyoro~n MUSASHI
I ended up doing a cooling system refresh on my E46 over the weekend to avoid GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM. Good timing too because it looked like my belt was about to snap. New hoses, thermostat, water pump, expansion tank, and sensors. The lower hose was a bitch to take off and was probably the hardest part. Gonna do RTABs and control arms this weekend. Anyone in SoCal have the bushing tool for the RTABs?

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

8ender posted:

Following up on the above. I calculated my fuel mileage today after 100km and I'm getting a magnificent 13MPG highway. Something is terribly wrong but I can't track it down. Really thinking its the catalytic converter at this point.

Also I took the plugs out to inspect them and they look fine. The first three were bathed in a pool of oil stuck in the tube so I guess I'm looking at some seals now as well.

I'd guess you're looking at VANOS seals and O2 sensors. Leaky VANOS seals would cause the hissing noise and O2 sensors would cause the hellacious fuel economy. I guess I'd try to O2 sensors first.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Stardotstar posted:

I'd guess you're looking at VANOS seals and O2 sensors. Leaky VANOS seals would cause the hissing noise and O2 sensors would cause the hellacious fuel economy. I guess I'd try to O2 sensors first.

I thought so too but I unplugged the VANOS solenoid and it made things even worse, so I guess the VANOS is still working to some degree?

O2 sensor is only about 20k kms old. I'd hate to replace that rear end in a top hat sensor again, its in the worst place.

The only reason I'm leaning on catalytic converter is that I just barely passed my last e-test, with 300/300HC and other horrible scores. The emissions scores have been slowly rising with each test across the board. When I bought the car it had been being driven with a bad O2 sensor for some time.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

8ender posted:

I thought so too but I unplugged the VANOS solenoid and it made things even worse, so I guess the VANOS is still working to some degree?

O2 sensor is only about 20k kms old. I'd hate to replace that rear end in a top hat sensor again, its in the worst place.

The only reason I'm leaning on catalytic converter is that I just barely passed my last e-test, with 300/300HC and other horrible scores. The emissions scores have been slowly rising with each test across the board. When I bought the car it had been being driven with a bad O2 sensor for some time.

If I was you, I'd pull apart your intake between your MAF and the throttle body, including your idle control valve, and give it a good visual inspection. You could very well have a pretty large leak in one of the joints or in the boot itself.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I took the car to a shop today to have them run a diagnostic and clear codes and stuff, and they gave me a 4 page printout of every error code the car has had. It seems every bulb has burned out once, and OH poo poo, somebody tried putting the seat back with something behind the seat preventing it from going back.

This car has sensors sensing sensors. The good news is the only light to come back on is the DSC light, which points to the steering angle sensors which did come up in the codes. This gamble seems to be paying off.

In other news, do you know what works better than BMW cupholders at holding cups?

BMW wheels!

Sometimes the exterior/interior/license plate/etc lights can be a nuisance as sometimes they fire off warning lights before they actually fail (perhaps when the resistance is getting low). I just keep a bag of various bulbs I bought from Pelican in the trunk.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The driving light in my gauge cluster burnt out. drat it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rscott posted:

The driving light in my gauge cluster burnt out. drat it.

My god drat PRNDL is burnt out in the cluster. i don't know if it's a light behind or what, most of the info i've found online is for the LCD screen, but mine is like, traditional cluster lights. It's the steptronic so it should light up when it's in sport mode and tell you what gear it's in, but nothing.

Also, reading about this whole cooling system refresh on top of the common problems i've already adressed on my car, it's quite obvious that if somebody doesn't do the work themselves, the 120k mile service on a 540 is worth more than the car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If your handy with a wrench, this is a great bargaining chip for BMWs. Most of the parts are reasonable online and they are strait forward to work on.

This is why I always troll the adds for cars needing service that are not to far gone. Usually a 1000 - 1500 bucks brings things back to normal operation

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If your handy with a wrench, this is a great bargaining chip for BMWs. Most of the parts are reasonable online and they are strait forward to work on.

This is why I always troll the adds for cars needing service that are not to far gone. Usually a 1000 - 1500 bucks brings things back to normal operation

Yeah, i paid a grand for the 540. There's an E39 M5 here for sale with a ton of problems and the guy still wants 11 grand for it.

Edit: i've gotten hosed locally on parts. $170 for a VW maf, 115/piece for front O2 sensors. the spicer thrust arms are 65 bucks online, the lemforder arms are like 95. The spicer arms are 170 locally, the lemforder are over 300, and only 1 store i've checked can even order them in. It's terrible. All the big stuff is done and the car is on the road though, so i'm in no rush for parts.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I've been having cold start rough idle issues on my 1996 M3 it wasn't so bad when it was warm but now that is has been getting colder in the morning it's having a rough time. I usually let it idle for a minute after starting before driving but I've found myself having to give it some gas for the first 10 seconds or so or it gets fairly violent like it's going to die. I read that cold start issues are pretty common and may just be how the car is, but this seems excessive. I recently cleaned the MAF, new air filter,, oil change and new spark plugs. I have a new fuel filter but I haven't put it in yet. Any ideas what could be the issue? It takes about 20-30 seconds and then all of a sudden the car seems to be fine and settles at an RPM, and if it's already warm on start there doesn't seem to be any issues.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MrChips posted:

If I was you, I'd pull apart your intake between your MAF and the throttle body, including your idle control valve, and give it a good visual inspection. You could very well have a pretty large leak in one of the joints or in the boot itself.

I had it out last week and cleaned the MAF. The boot is only about a year old and looked fine. Its perplexing.

The internet is telling me cam sensor or a plugged catalytic would cause the atrocious fuel mileage, but the hissing is a mystery unless its back pressure leaking out. I'd try to throw a pressure gauge where the O2 sensor is but getting it out of the Y in the pipe is a horrible job.

The hissing really does seem dependent on load. I can rev it in neutral all day long and not hear it, but in gear, particularly if I stomp on it and lug the engine in a higher gear, its really noticeable.

8ender fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 17, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the best way to start the morning

:gonk:

So these are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S pluses. I guess this tire is getting phased out, would it be ok to run a different tire in the back (replace both of course). Thinking maybe Pilot Super Sports.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 17, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i paid a grand for the 540. There's an E39 M5 here for sale with a ton of problems and the guy still wants 11 grand for it.

Edit: i've gotten hosed locally on parts. $170 for a VW maf, 115/piece for front O2 sensors. the spicer thrust arms are 65 bucks online, the lemforder arms are like 95. The spicer arms are 170 locally, the lemforder are over 300, and only 1 store i've checked can even order them in. It's terrible. All the big stuff is done and the car is on the road though, so i'm in no rush for parts.

This is where pick and pulls are handy for things like MAF's and other parts. The chances of a bad MAF in a junk yard car is pretty low, especially if it was an obvious wreck.

What kind of O2 sensors?

Also, price match against the dealer. Its shocking but some times the dealer can get almost better if not the same price on parts.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

GrAviTy84 posted:

the best way to start the morning
:gonk:

So these are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S pluses. I guess this tire is getting phased out, would it be ok to run a different tire in the back (replace both of course). Thinking maybe Pilot Super Sports.

What the hell happened? Did you check TireRack or call America's/Discount Tire and see if you can get a replacement still? Or search dealer from here...

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-a-s-plus/tire-details

America's Tire has them: they can order them from other locations for sure (over 10 sets of rears in Sac)

Wait until you have shredded all 4 tires, than blow the $1300 for the Michelin SS you don't want to run different tires front/back.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 17, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

What the hell happened? Did you check TireRack or call America's/Discount Tire and see if you can get a replacement still? Or search dealer from here...

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-a-s-plus/tire-details

Wait until you have shredded all 4 tires, than blow the $1300 for the Michelin SS you don't want to run different tires front/back.

America's Tire was able to locate 2 for me for the rears. there's still quite a bit of tread left in the front so I'm gonna just roll with the Sport A/S pluses in the rear again. *whew*

Now I ~get~ to drive around on a spare <50 mph all week until they come on friday yaaaaay :smith:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

8ender posted:

I had it out last week and cleaned the MAF. The boot is only about a year old and looked fine. Its perplexing.

The internet is telling me cam sensor or a plugged catalytic would cause the atrocious fuel mileage, but the hissing is a mystery unless its back pressure leaking out. I'd try to throw a pressure gauge where the O2 sensor is but getting it out of the Y in the pipe is a horrible job.

The hissing really does seem dependent on load. I can rev it in neutral all day long and not hear it, but in gear, particularly if I stomp on it and lug the engine in a higher gear, its really noticeable.

OK, I didn't know that...it sounds like you're on the right track with some sort of exhaust restriction.

EDIT: hahaha I just saw your post in the other thread :downs:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 18, 2013

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Popete posted:

So I've been having cold start rough idle issues on my 1996 M3...

Clean your IACV.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Questions,

1) What's the worst potential maintenance-nightmare I'd be getting into with 2009-2011 128 1-Series with about 60k miles?

2) How horrible is this going to be in North Dakota? If I buy an extra set of rims - how much a difference is something like this going make Performance Snow Tires

3) Am I able to hook up my iPhone via bluetooth and stream music? Voice? The only thing on BMW's websites that's listed is only for newer models.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Questions,

1) What's the worst potential maintenance-nightmare I'd be getting into with 2009-2011 128 1-Series with about 60k miles?

2) How horrible is this going to be in North Dakota? If I buy an extra set of rims - how much a difference is something like this going make Performance Snow Tires

3) Am I able to hook up my iPhone via bluetooth and stream music? Voice? The only thing on BMW's websites that's listed is only for newer models.

1) GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM still. My understanding is the electric water pump is kind of lovely, and could be due for replacement at your mileage. Don't know how the rest of the cooling system holds up; I've heard it's better than previous cars, though. Beyond that, it's the usual wear items in the suspension and brakes.

2) Surprisingly good - I DD an E46 in Alberta and with a good set of winter tires, it'll go through nearly anything without much trouble; anything you can't handle, then you probably shouldn't be on the road no matter what you're driving. Not a fan of Pirelli tires, though - spend the extra money and get some Michelins or Bridgestones.

3) I don't think its possible to connect your phone via Bluetooth in that car. BMW used a hard-wired option for iPhones at the time; the kit is still available as far as I know, but it's expensive.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
If the 128i in question has Enhanced Bluetooth or iDrive, it should be able to stream music over BT. The standard Bluetooth only allows you to make/answer phone calls.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My e46 has air con, if I want climate control is it as simple as slipping in the module from a junk yard car or is the harness different?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Cakefool posted:

My e46 has air con, if I want climate control is it as simple as slipping in the module from a junk yard car or is the harness different?

I can't answer that, but I have climate control and the actual "control" extends to turning the aircon on or off. The temperature dial between the center vents does far more than the climate control does. I don't think it'd be worth the effort.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
Does anyone know the implications if I go slightly over the 1200 mile run-in service on my e93? I've got 450 miles to go but the dealer can't service the car for another 3 weeks :argh:

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

plecostomus posted:

Does anyone know the implications if I go slightly over the 1200 mile run-in service on my e93? I've got 450 miles to go but the dealer can't service the car for another 3 weeks :argh:

Did you buy the car at the dealer? You should insist on getting your service on time; that's ridiculous.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I just pulled that piece out of the HVAC blower on the E30. It runs the blend door for recirculation. Goddamn E30s.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Billy Zane posted:

If the 128i in question has Enhanced Bluetooth or iDrive, it should be able to stream music over BT. The standard Bluetooth only allows you to make/answer phone calls.

Any idea how I can find that out?

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Tab8715 posted:

Any idea how I can find that out?

Enhanced Bluetooth was also bundled with BMW Assist, so there should be a covered button near the map lights that says "SOS" if the car is equipped with BMW Assist.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Billy Zane posted:

Enhanced Bluetooth was also bundled with BMW Assist, so there should be a covered button near the map lights that says "SOS" if the car is equipped with BMW Assist.

Thanks a lot, I really don't want to replace any factory deck. Looks like this is/was included with the "Premium Package" or as it's own add-on.

Now, how to find a non-black 128i with Sports Seats and this option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A friend is selling his '95 M3, and I'm considering cleaning up my '02 325i to try to sell and buy his car as a replacement. I have a leased Kia for my four door daily driver needs, this would be a weekend toy with plans of light track use.

I'm going to be in his area tomorrow and will probably end up checking the car out, anything in particular that I should look for? I'm pretty sure most of the E36 quirks are the same ones I've had to deal with on the E46, but I want to make certain. I know its had a cooling system refurb in the last year but is in need of a suspension bushing job, other than that it's supposedly in good shape all around.

How's the "M tax" situation on these ones, being without the "real" M motor? Is there anything major I'd be losing by going back the good part of a decade in model years which isn't readily apparent? As far as I see it if I can make this work I lose DSC, dual VANOS, and the I-bus interface but gain a lighter chassis, more powerful motor, and a lot of mod potential.