Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

Is Martin Scorsese the most prolific (mainstream, that is) director to never be attached to a single studio?

Is Soderbergh attached to a single studio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sod's done a lot of Warners since Oceans 11, but not everything.

It'd have to be Spielberg. Universal's released the most of his films, but he's done at least three for every major.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 9, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How does health insurance work with studios? Are actors and directors insured just while they're working on a movie? Or will a studio have their attached staff (whether actor, director, etc) insured? Does an actor have a little bit taken out of their check for insurance?

Hell, for that matter, does an actor working on a movie get paid a lump sum, or do they get a check every two weeks like most of us do?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leavemywife posted:

How does health insurance work with studios? Are actors and directors insured just while they're working on a movie? Or will a studio have their attached staff (whether actor, director, etc) insured? Does an actor have a little bit taken out of their check for insurance?

Hell, for that matter, does an actor working on a movie get paid a lump sum, or do they get a check every two weeks like most of us do?

I think your guild dues include some form of health insurance, but any injuries or whatever sustained while working on a movie would be the responsibility of the studio, like getting injured at any other job.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Every film has its own insurance policy which covers losses to production due to illness etc. There can be additional insurance for the stars (and sometimes director) on which the film depends called “essential elements”, which covers the entire budget (or financing expended to date) is a star can’t complete the film. The film’s insurance doesn’t cover the actors’ health insurance eg if they need to visit a doctor. Like other freelancers (which is what they are) they need to arrange that themselves.
The actors negotiate a lump sum which is then paid weekly during shoot (so that if they are fired for cause or can’t complete the film they are only paid to date). It’s often escrowed with their agents prior to shoot.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Working actors who meet a minimum amount of paid work time per year get their medical insurance through the SAG, AFTRA, or Actors Equity unions.

I used to be an Equity Deputy and producer laison with the union.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking as someone who will not hesitate to go see a six hour movie, two 90+ minute movies in a row is really punishing. It's just too baggy for the double feature format.
We're doing a Vigo double feature of L'atalante and Zéro de Conduite next weekend and I am pumped. Just the right length I feel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wrong thread

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

We're doing a Vigo double feature of L'atalante and Zéro de Conduite next weekend and I am pumped. Just the right length I feel.

Zero for Conduct is incredible, lots of Pre-Code style shenanigans in that one.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The 90s Midnigjt Summer's Dream with Callista Flockheart etc has a whole new scene of Kevin Kline's Bottom just killing time, without any new dialogue, cos its Shakespeare. I always figured that was Kline's management using whatever status he had in that period to score him some more screentime. Is that likely the case? Any other notable examples of that?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chubby Henparty posted:

The 90s Midnigjt Summer's Dream with Callista Flockheart etc has a whole new scene of Kevin Kline's Bottom just killing time, without any new dialogue, cos its Shakespeare. I always figured that was Kline's management using whatever status he had in that period to score him some more screentime. Is that likely the case? Any other notable examples of that?

Does Michael Caine refusing to die in Jaws: The Revenge and them rewriting it on the fly so he doesn't count? I really love that story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Does Michael Caine refusing to die in Jaws: The Revenge and them rewriting it on the fly so he doesn't count? I really love that story.

Wait, seriously? I've never seen it, but why would he refuse to die, did he just not want to get wet?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Wait, seriously? I've never seen it, but why would he refuse to die, did he just not want to get wet?

I think he gets thrown from the boat during the climatic final battle and then climbs back up with surprisingly dry clothes.

Which honestly mirrors the ending of the original JAWS with the oceanographer scuba guy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Jaws: The Revenge had the one guy (not Michael Caine) who I'm pretty sure falls directly into the shark's mouth and is then dragged under water with this massive cloud of blood trailing after him, then after they kill the shark, he hauls himself back onto the boat and starts cracking jokes with the main character.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My favorite example of an actor steering a film is when Cristopher Lee just refused to say any of his lines for Dracula: Prince of Darkness because he thought they weren't good enough. So for the entire film Dracula doesn't say a word. Which if anything made him even scarier.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FreudianSlippers posted:

My favorite example of an actor steering a film is when Cristopher Lee just refused to say any of his lines for Dracula: Prince of Darkness because he thought they weren't good enough. So for the entire film Dracula doesn't say a word. Which if anything made him even scarier.

Gary Busey apparently shut down production on Quigley, the movie where he dies and gets reincarnated as a dog, because its depiction of heaven wasn’t accurate. He’d had a near death experience and knew that heaven didn’t have couches

Later in the shoot he and another actor who had also been to heaven got into a fistfight over it

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

In Black Panther, why was Michael Jordan's whole body covered in nipples?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Many african tribes practice scarification as part of their culture.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Dogballs posted:

He missed mommy

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Many african tribes practice scarification as part of their culture.

Sure but I mean him in particular. It doesn't make sense for his character. As far as we're shown, he either was born in America or moved there at a VERY young age, and lived in America until adulthood. We are also not shown that anybody else in Wakanda has these markings as far as I remember. I suppose the real answer is because it looks intimidating on screen when he's about to fight T'Challa.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Sure but I mean him in particular. It doesn't make sense for his character. As far as we're shown, he either was born in America or moved there at a VERY young age, and lived in America until adulthood. We are also not shown that anybody else in Wakanda has these markings as far as I remember. I suppose the real answer is because it looks intimidating on screen when he's about to fight T'Challa.

African Americans often adopt fashion/culture from the African continent. There's very little information about Wakandan specific traditions available people raised in the west, so he used other tribal cultures as a template.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Midnigjt Summer's Dream

Thanks and also ^^ christ apparently I cannot walk and post

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember Jaws: The Revenge had the one guy (not Michael Caine) who I'm pretty sure falls directly into the shark's mouth and is then dragged under water with this massive cloud of blood trailing after him, then after they kill the shark, he hauls himself back onto the boat and starts cracking jokes with the main character.

Mario Van Peebles. He dies in one version and survives in another.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Killmonger give himself those scars for each person he killed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Snatching victory from the Jaws of defeat.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Doctor Dogballs posted:

For the milk, Doctor Dogballs

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why are Academy Awards called Oscars? When did the two terms become interchangeable?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why are Academy Awards called Oscars? When did the two terms become interchangeable?

When the statues were unveiled, a reporter commented, "It looks just like my Uncle Oscar," and the name stuck.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

When the statues were unveiled, a reporter commented, "It looks just like my Uncle Oscar," and the name stuck.

Thank goodness they didn't look like his Uncle Dick

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Thank goodness they didn't look like his Uncle Dick

“And the Best Actress Dick goes to...”

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Leavemywife posted:

Wikipedia posted:

The origin of the name Oscar is disputed. One biography of Bette Davis, who was a president of the Academy, claims she named the Oscar after her first husband, band leader Harmon Oscar Nelson. Another claimed origin is the Academy's Executive Secretary, Margaret Herrick, who, when she first saw the award in 1931, made reference to the statuette's reminding her of her "Uncle Oscar" (a nickname for her cousin Oscar Pierce). Columnist Sidney Skolsky was present during Herrick's naming and seized the name in his byline, "Employees have affectionately dubbed their famous statuette 'Oscar'."

One of the earliest mentions of the term Oscar dates to a Time magazine article about the 1934 6th Academy Awards. Walt Disney also thanked the Academy for his Oscar as early as 1932. The trophy officially received the name "Oscar" in 1939 by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hopefully a nice simple one: the tv spots for the spider-man film make the animation look a little choppy. Is this the case, or just a not too hot job done of processing the commercials?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hopefully a nice simple one: the tv spots for the spider-man film make the animation look a little choppy. Is this the case, or just a not too hot job done of processing the commercials?

It’s an artistic choice that plays much better on screen and in context

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Everything about the animation for enter the spider verse was just fantastic. It's basically the wachowski speed racer of animated films.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok sounds good. I was just worried it would be jarring, but I’ve heard so much positivity I hoped it wouldn’t be an issue.

The only time I watched Speed Racer was after a night of very heavy partying and it definitely was not the right choice of film. I should give it another shot, people seem to love that movie.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

There are multiple types of animation and I did notice that especially at the beginning it was kind of stuttery and clearly animated at 12 fps. I'm usually very sensitive to that kind of thing but I stopped seeing it after 10 minutes or so. The more distracting thing was this red and blue fringing like you'd see on old style 3d movies if you didn't use the glasses. Reading about it, it's supposed to replicate the way comics could have misaligned color plates during the printing process. It was a bit annoying but honestly it's still the best movie experience I've had all year. And I'm basically over comic book movies but nevertheless.

E: also, was I the only one who got Enter the Void flashbacks during the opening credits? Enter the Void lite but still reminiscent.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

His reason for stealing the non-Vibranium African tribal mask was that he was "just feelin' it."

I'm sure you can suss out the rest of his motivations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I like the kind of sluttery animation – hold on,

...Stuttery? Nevermind

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It’s low frame rate is definitely more obvious in the trailer. I thought I’d dislike it, but it wasn’t an issue in the movie.

Was Spider-Man advertised that much? I knew it was coming out, but I took my teenage kids to it yesterday and neither one knew it even existed. And both of them are Spider-Man fans.

Also I thought Spider-Noire was Nick Offerman. Turned out it was the other Nick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also I thought Spider-Noire was Nick Offerman. Turned out it was the other Nick.

Nick Otherman?