Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think the last time I saw that font was on Windows 3.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

my dad posted:

Poortugal. Sounds about right.

lol

for content:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

My favorite shield is New Hampshire's, because the state is still so all-in on an emblem that is increasingly irrelevant as time goes on.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

disheveled posted:

My favorite shield is New Hampshire's, because the state is still so all-in on an emblem that is increasingly irrelevant as time goes on.

"Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men." - Daniel Webster

Or perhaps you'd prefer a square or circle with a number inside.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

disheveled posted:

What is it, exactly? I can't tell at all.

Edit: Nevermind! I found it by looking for "New Hampshire symbols".

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 15, 2014

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Pook Good Mook posted:

"Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men." - Daniel Webster

I don't think the previous poster was saying that the symbol was increasingly irrelevant because of changing tastes; I think they were saying it's irrelevant because the Old Man of the Mountain fell off the drat mountain.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Pook Good Mook posted:

Nah, it's legitimately interesting compared to almost all of those, it's just funny that after the thing fell off (click this for those who aren't following) the state was kind of left hanging with pictures of the Old Man emblazoned everywhere across the state. I'm not sure how much history they'll be able to hang on it when new generations are only going to see pictures of an oddly intriguing rock formation that used to be there.

If the Leaning Tower of Pisa collapses, then what's the next move from Pisa? I'm entertained by that kind of thing.

For what it's worth, the more recent New Hampshire quarter has Mt. Chocorua on it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

What is it, exactly? I can't tell at all.

Edit: Nevermind! I found it by looking for "New Hampshire symbols".

You gotta be kidding me. Is there really nothing more interesting in New Hampshire to use as a state symbol than the face of Jesus in a soup?

Words can't even begin to describe how lame that is.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

waitwhatno posted:

You gotta be kidding me. Is there really nothing more interesting in New Hampshire to use as a state symbol than the face of Jesus in a soup?

Words can't even begin to describe how lame that is.

I know, right? Like, is there nothing more interesting in Canada to use as their symbol than a maple leaf?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Star Man posted:

I know, right? Like, is there nothing more interesting in Canada to use as their symbol than a maple leaf?

No, I don't think there is. But why are you trying to distract attention from the real issue here? Certainly there must be a higher standard for national symbols than some random rock that vaguely looks like a human face.

Why isn't the UN investigating this outrage?

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Hmm, Slovakia in this map does not contain one bit of the real Slovakia, at most a few square kilometers north-east of the Danube Bend, although that's an area with a big hungarian minority. The other countries contain at least part of their actual territory.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

goethe42 posted:

Hmm, Slovakia in this map does not contain one bit of the real Slovakia, at most a few square kilometers north-east of the Danube Bend, although that's an area with a big hungarian minority. The other countries contain at least part of their actual territory.

And when the hell did Pooland get Crimea? Lazy map imo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

lol

for content:

Fantasy map makers are getting lazier and lazier.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

disheveled posted:

Nah, it's legitimately interesting compared to almost all of those, it's just funny that after the thing fell off (click this for those who aren't following) the state was kind of left hanging with pictures of the Old Man emblazoned everywhere across the state.

:haw:

Was that intentional?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Basil Hayden posted:

The fancy graphic plates offered by most states usually don't predate the mid-90s — before that most places just had the state name and some kind of motto in a plain font (as you can still see with a few).

In the early 2000s, my state had an, um, interesting design that apparently won some kind of award from the "Automobile License Place Collectors Association" but was despised by most residents:

It was supposedly meant to be a long-term design but ended up lasting something like two years before being replaced. As I recall, an awful lot of drivers bought stickers to put over the sun's face; the most popular seemed to be a bullet hole.

Nowadays in addition to the regular design we seem to have an absurd number of additional plates available, including designs representing basically every college in the state.

The best part about this plate is everyone loved the Churchill Downs plate that went before it but the people that owned Keeneland bitch about it so they had to change to the stupid smiley face

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
That rock is clear evidence that people in history had better imaginations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's a sick rear end lion shaped rock in Corsica, behold the mighty Roccapina Lion:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 15, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why didn't DC claim back the rest of their square when the Confederacy folded?

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends
That area was given back to Virginia in 1847, over 15 years before the Civil War. Also the Senate didn't allow it after the war was over.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

sbaldrick posted:

The best part about this plate is everyone loved the Churchill Downs plate that went before it but the people that owned Keeneland bitch about it so they had to change to the stupid smiley face
Supposedly there was some sort of licensing issue with the photograph used as the base for the horse at the bottom of the Churchill Downs plate (something about the photo having fallen into the public domain but then going back into copyright under GATT because it was German), which meant that for about a year everyone just got truck plates with no design at all.

Also there was the cloud plate between the Churchill Downs plate and the smiley plate.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Haha, it even has a crown! King of the animals.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Here's a map showing which countries have a higher GDP per capita than Russia, adjusted for purchasing power parity.

I'm actually surprised it's still ahead of most of the rest of the world, considering the fact that you're constantly hearing about how terrible it is.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
It's lower than Libya :stare:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I highly doubt the Libya numbers because they are basically in a civil war.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's right in line other petrostate banana republics

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

tractor fanatic posted:

It's lower than Libya :stare:

Well, Libya must be doing better than you think it is, because it's also apparently beating China and Brazil as well. The economy of those countries may sometimes be exaggerated, sure, but they still have an at least above average economy. Maybe this map is from before the whole civil war stuff really took off?

Edit: The map says "2009-2013". The first Libyan civil war took place in 2011, so that means it all really started to go downhill around the middle of this map's timeline. My guess is that they stopped recording Libya's numbers after 2011, because its probably rather hard to get a good GDP measurement from a nation in the middle of a war.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 15, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I bet they are using pre-2011metrics for Libya.

The time frame being '2009-2013' makes it a somewhat dubious map, especially since 2009 was when a major recession had just started.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Here's a map showing which countries have a higher GDP per capita than Russia, adjusted for purchasing power parity.

I'm actually surprised it's still ahead of most of the rest of the world, considering the fact that you're constantly hearing about how terrible it is.

Propaganda against Putin/Russia has been going strong for some time now. Its a hosed up place but their economy has grown a great deal since the USSR fell apart, and they remain technologically advanced. However bad things get with sanctions or whatever, remember they're an industrialized nation with over 100 million people living there.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Over 140 million actually.

They still don't know how to make washing machines but resource extraction and military vehicles is top.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Ruble crashed 10% today alone, and has been in steep decline for quite some time. Russian sanctions have also drastically increased food prices. The map doesn't reflect that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

It needs separate colors for Moscow and St. Petersburg vs. everything else.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

Why didn't DC claim back the rest of their square when the Confederacy folded?

The land was not particularly useful back then, hence why it'd been given back in the first place. And it also wouldn't be much of a punishment to Virginia to take it back for the same reason.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still don't see the need for colorful license plates. You can cover literally 99% of the car in decals, artwork, signs, paint it fancy colors, put stuff in the windows, anything you want in the whole world to show where you're from, or your interests, or the things you think are pretty. What's wrong with the one little license plate area being just informational? What's so wrong about that? It's a total waste.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cheerfullydrab posted:

I still don't see the need for colorful license plates. You can cover literally 99% of the car in decals, artwork, signs, paint it fancy colors, put stuff in the windows, anything you want in the whole world to show where you're from, or your interests, or the things you think are pretty. What's wrong with the one little license plate area being just informational? What's so wrong about that? It's a total waste.

The area is already informational though? The letter forms are designed to be machine readable by computers from the late 80s, as well as being highly visible on the road. In fact, plate designs can be recalled and discontinued if they prove too illegible.

They're also a pretty decent source of revenue to government. Why do you gotta be so boring?

Not to mention that for most states/provinces, most of the designs don't differ all that much from the state standard:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

cheerfullydrab posted:

Because you can take "GO STATE U #1" plate off a car and sell it easier than one painted neon green and orange or whatever the team colors are.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

Because solid color license plates are ugly and Europeans just don't realize that pretty license plates make prettier cars :colbert:

Besides, I like collecting them and I'm constantly disappointed that most of the world has really boring license plates.

EDIT: VVVV I've lived all over the US and I still can only say I know two state flags with any kind of certainty. And that's because California and Texas have designs that actually stick out in my mind. Not like the blue flag and state emblem/random crap that most states use.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 16, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Don Gato posted:

Because solid color license plates are ugly and Europeans just don't realize that pretty license plates make prettier cars :colbert:

Besides, I like collecting them and I'm constantly disappointed that most of the world has really boring license plates.

Don't worry, most of our states make up for it with really boring flags.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If governments have decided that a teeny tiny area of a car has to display a number, why does that area have to have aesthetics involved? Why does there have to be political wrangling about it? Why do people have to pay extra money to have that identifying area prettied up in their own way? There's so much of a car, including the car itself, that can be used for personal expression.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

From a utilitarian standpoint, it's because humans don't remember like computers. It's easier to go, "It was a beige SUV with one of those new plates on it, you know, the ones with a beach? and the number was something like HUNT3R or something," than to remember the actual exact plate number, no matter how clearly the plate is marked out. It's not just machines that read these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

But again, cars are almost entirely a personal expression. Why does the government-mandated area of cars have to have smiley suns? It's awful.