Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Alright, Flash is back!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dang black lightning was really good I'm gonna actually keep up on this one

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Black Lightening was pretty good. I like the feel and way it plays out and I am expecting some kind of origin story to be interwoven in future episodes. I wonder if they will do flashbacks like Arrow.

Flash was pretty painful and I had a hard time watching the court scenes and how much everyone on team Flash (especially Barry) acted like complete idiots. It's hard to root for any characters on this show at the moment. Except for Caitlyn/Killer Frost.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm gonna wait a few episodes before checking out BL. CW app usually has multiple episodes available right? How long can I wait?

Madkal posted:

Black Lightening was pretty good. I like the feel and way it plays out and I am expecting some kind of origin story to be interwoven in future episodes. I wonder if they will do flashbacks like Arrow.

Flash was pretty painful and I had a hard time watching the court scenes and how much everyone on team Flash (especially Barry) acted like complete idiots. It's hard to root for any characters on this show at the moment. Except for Caitlyn/Killer Frost.

Unfortunately, the *characters act oddly stupid to make things "interesting"* is pretty much the default for writing TV these days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe the CW app leaves stuff up for about 6 weeks but for something that is getting as much buzz as Black Lightning they might leave it up longer.

Some casting announcements for The Boys, still nothing for the actual main characters though

Homelander - Anthony Starr

The Deep - Chace Crawford

Queen Maeve - Dominique McElligott

A-Train - Jessie T Usher

Black Noir - Nathan Mitchell

Starlight - Erin Moriarity

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Actually saw The Flash. That might have been one of the worst trials I've seen on a TV show. I mean, I guess there are probably plenty of people who watch the show who have never watched a court drama in their lives, but yeesh. That felt like a kid's best guest at how a murder trial would go.

Also I am expecting the Earth 15 thing to come back and bite them in the rear end down the road.

Supergirl was pretty decent this week. The guy they have playing Brainiac 5 is fun, but he suffers from the same terrible makeup/costume design that has been plaguing the series from the start.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

If Barry being an idiot puts you off watching the Flash you probably should have stopped watching at some point in the first season.

ToastyPotato posted:

Actually saw The Flash. That might have been one of the worst trials I've seen on a TV show. I mean, I guess there are probably plenty of people who watch the show who have never watched a court drama in their lives, but yeesh. That felt like a kid's best guest at how a murder trial would go.
Is it worse than the trial poo poo from Daredevil season 2, where the judge apparently allowed screaming protesters carrying signs inside the loving courtroom?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

If Barry being an idiot puts you off watching the Flash you probably should have stopped watching at some point in the first season.

Is it worse than the trial poo poo from Daredevil season 2, where the judge apparently allowed screaming protesters carrying signs inside the loving courtroom?

Exponentially worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Law and Order and its spinoffs have been on TV for over 25 years. There's really no excuse for not getting the basics of a court scene right.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Law and Order and its spinoffs have been on TV for over 25 years. There's really no excuse for not getting the basics of a court scene right.

I'm willing to bet 50 year old episodes of Perry Mason did it better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They actually have a competent defense of Frank, Barry's defense is just kind of non-existent.

someone pointed out in the TVIV thread that Brainiac-5 was a super intelligent being that actually had social skills. Something very rare to see these days.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm willing to bet 50 year old episodes of Perry Mason did it better.

My Cousin Vinnie is probably the most accurate depiction of being a criminal lawyer on celluloid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

twistedmentat posted:

They actually have a competent defense of Frank, Barry's defense is just kind of non-existent.

someone pointed out in the TVIV thread that Brainiac-5 was a super intelligent being that actually had social skills. Something very rare to see these days.

Yeah, usually when you have a super-intelligent character in shows they act dismissive of lower thinking, or uncomprehending of it. When Braniac misstepped it seemed more because he was distracted. It can still come across as offputting, but it didn't have the same condescension.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's gotten a lot worse than that. Ever since House, almost every tv genius is a huge rear end in a top hat and near-autistic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skwirl posted:

My Cousin Vinnie is probably the most accurate depiction of being a criminal lawyer on celluloid.

I bookmarked this years ago, because I really had no idea how much law school profs love this movie for the legitimate lessons it teaches.

http://bernabetorts.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-cousin-vinny-story-about-legal.html

quote:

After Vinny’s girlfriend Mona Lisa bails him out for a second time after having been found in contempt, she criticizes his performance in court and tells him it is pretty clear he does not know what he is doing. She then utters one of my favorite lines in the movie: “Don’t they teach you that in law school?” Vinny’s response is just as classic: “NO! They teach you Contracts...! Obviously, the implication is that in law school they teach "law" not "how to practice law".

There are many ironic twists to this short exchange. First, as to those “things” that his girlfriend was referring to, we do teach you that in law school! Vinny may not have learned them - or may have forgotten them - but we do teach them! But, Vinny is right that there are many things you need to know to practice law effectively that we don’t teach in law school.

The reason I say the movie turns the issue on its head is that Vinny is terrible at the things we do teach in law school, but very good at the things we don’t.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I bookmarked this years ago, because I really had no idea how much law school profs love this movie for the legitimate lessons it teaches.

For a period of time my mom was a crime reporter and one of her professional acquaintances was a defense attorney who literally cited the film in his closing statement to the jury on a case.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

According to Aubrey Plaza's twitter, Legion season 2 is in April.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

According to Aubrey Plaza's twitter, Legion season 2 is in April.

loving awesome, but I'm a bit curious how they are bringing her back. I don't want season 2 to be more Shadow King

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

loving awesome, but I'm a bit curious how they are bringing her back. I don't want season 2 to be more Shadow King

It would at least be a B plot for a bit, S1 ended with her and Jermaine driving off

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Interestingly, I've read it's actually *too* accurate in parts, and that a lot of the procedure they follow is often ignored in real life.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Holy crap, Shane Black is working on a pilot for the good, proper Avengers and I may just explode with joy if he pulls it off. Just the news to perk me up after hearing that poor old Peter Wyngarde popped his clogs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Holy crap, Shane Black is working on a pilot for the good, proper Avengers and I may just explode with joy if he pulls it off. Just the news to perk me up after hearing that poor old Peter Wyngarde popped his clogs.

I was almost excited until I realized you meant the twerp with the bowler and umbrella paired with the domme that wears leather body suits.

(I kid. Actually if they went completely over the top with it, that would own)

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1_dM9v48Wc

So it IS still coming this year...

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Sentinel Red posted:

Holy crap, Shane Black is working on a pilot for the good, proper Avengers

Was there anything wrong with the 90s reboot movie?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Everything?

edit: Well the casting was good

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Retro Futurist posted:

Everything?

edit: Well the casting was good

The casting was excellent and the movie was hilarious. But not entirely on purpose. It was p bad but good bad.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
June? We'll all be dead by then!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Not so much zero chemistry between the leads but actual negative chemistry. It's almost impressive in that regard...but no. A couple of good scenes and that's about it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Considering how much I loved The Nice Guys, I cannot wait to see a Shane Black Avengers. I hope its a retro 60s mod setting, rather than modernizing it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sgt. Politeness posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1c-QSe7uU0

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao as if this ridiculous scene is not a point in its favour

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man, young Ralph Fiennes was such a perfect choice to play Steed. drat shame the movie's only good by being so stupid.

e: I always wonder how that movie would have turned out with better editing. They apparently cut like 40min worth of footage.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 19, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

esperterra posted:

lmao as if this ridiculous scene is not a point in its favour

It's the sole thing I remember from the movie and it's amazing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm assuming a Shane Black Avengers will just be a slightly cleaner and snappier Kingsman so I'm on board

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Medullah posted:

It's the sole thing I remember from the movie and it's amazing.

There's also the incredible (dumb as gently caress) scene where they're driving away from the killer robot bees.

INSECTS, GETTING BIGGER EVERY YEAR

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Connery's NOW IS THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT scene will always be incredible.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

twistedmentat posted:

I hope its a retro 60s mod setting, rather than modernizing it.

Wish granted.

:neckbeard:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Nice. If it's along the lines of the Man From U.N.C.L.E. movie from a couple of years ago, that would be cool.

It'd be super cool if there was latitude for them to feature characters from adjacent shows of the same period but most of them were created by another company so I know it won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Avengers movie apparently has just whole sections of the movie not in it and they didn’t bother trying to fix the errors that leaves.