Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

New stretch goal: 90k, Equinox Road gets added to their big 1e bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sitting at 89k.

Stretch goal: 98k, Book of Kiths gets a section on the Jewel Regalia.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Are there any good Mage (preferably Awakening 2E) live play podcasts out there?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I think I'm really easily able to swallow a major difference between Deviant and Promethean thanks to Kamen Rider.

Take the core of both the original stories: Created beings, forever separated from humanity, pursuing their creators to the ends of the earth to get some sort of recompense--but Adam was made out of one person's hubris and twisted desires, and his vengeance is entirely a personal feud, a reflection of the sometimes-justified-but-ultimately-selfish desires within us, where Takeshi was supposed to be a soldier in a world-spanning conspiracy of monsters just like him, and his whole thing is a crusade. The evil in the former is our personal failings that perpetuate themselves no matter how hard we try, and the evil in the latter is society failing the people who need it to benefit the people who don't.

A Promethean's endgame is to discover and reconcile with humanity, where a Deviant has already come to terms with their remove from the world of mortals and only wants to do right by it before they inevitably burn out.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Mister Olympus posted:

I think I'm really easily able to swallow a major difference between Deviant and Promethean thanks to Kamen Rider.

A Promethean's endgame is to discover and reconcile with humanity, where a Deviant has already come to terms with their remove from the world of mortals and only wants to do right by it before they inevitably burn out.

This is exalting what I was rambling about earlier in the thread, for exactly the same reason. Kamen rider is a great basis for a deviant character.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Do Kamens Rider work like Androids 17 and 18, or is there some more subtle nuance? I'm asking for the top line idea here, I'm aware there's merch-driven distinctions with each series and so forth.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Not having a past seems like a more major distinction. A Promethean was a bunch of corpses, or not even that, and their first impressions start after chargen, while a Deviant was a person who spent years interacting with people and has an established presence in the world (or established views about the world).

Plus there's the hunt aspect. Someone wants your powers for something. It would be like if alchemists were made a bigger deal in Promethean, rather than a random encounter.

I'm not sure if I'd say the end goal is to 'do right by the world,' as there's nothing about Deviants that seem to suggest they have to be good guys, but at least finding an equilibrium between their powers and the world, which is very different from Promethean, where powers are a toolset to let you avoid pitfalls on your way to fitting in (Deviant powers will never let you fit in). Though obviously we'd have to see the book to really tell.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
[quote="Night10194" post=""478406603"]
Beast's special power is being so uniquely bad and pathetic that it makes people try to fix it.
[/quote]

Make it about Heroes and about how against their will they're thrown into conflict with paranoid, self righteous monsters that are vague downplayed Alt Right stand ins and the rest of the monsters various types of liberals.

BernieBros: The Millennial

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Are there any good Mage (preferably Awakening 2E) live play podcasts out there?

Quoting myself here to add that if there's a nice list of changes between Awakening and 2E floating around somewhere that would be great - my ten years away from WoD stuff has made it pretty hard to figure out what's actually changed and what I'm just misremembering from the old books, and I don't want to sit there and try to cross-reference everything by hand if it's already been done. Plus it could be handy to use as a pseudo-conversion tool for stuff.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

NutritiousSnack posted:

Make it about Heroes and about how against their will they're thrown into conflict with paranoid, self righteous monsters that are vague downplayed Alt Right stand ins and the rest of the monsters various types of liberals.

BernieBros: The Millennial

One of the decisions I'm least happy with in Beasts development was, when people pointed out that beasts are monsters with uncomfortable LGTB imagery, they kept the LGTB imagery and removed the bit about beasts being born as they are, and instead Heroes are now born as heroes.

I really wish they had instead divorced itself from real world groups and leaned into the monstrosity. No, you didn't have a choice. Neither does a scorpion, or a virus. Your existence makes life worse for people, and when you prey upon the weakest, the most degenerate, you instead fill them with glorious purpose.

You are a monster.
Your death will be justified.
What are you going to do about it?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Quoting myself here to add that if there's a nice list of changes between Awakening and 2E floating around somewhere that would be great - my ten years away from WoD stuff has made it pretty hard to figure out what's actually changed and what I'm just misremembering from the old books, and I don't want to sit there and try to cross-reference everything by hand if it's already been done. Plus it could be handy to use as a pseudo-conversion tool for stuff.

There's a post on reddit that has them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiteWolfRPG/comments/4i1j9m/mage_the_awakening_2nd_edition_changes/

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Nessus posted:

Do Kamens Rider work like Androids 17 and 18, or is there some more subtle nuance? I'm asking for the top line idea here, I'm aware there's merch-driven distinctions with each series and so forth.

The original-flavor Riders are pretty much precisely that, yeah. After the 70s it gets a little fuzzy.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
How does everyone feel about CtL's preview being show piecemeal?

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I don't like the piecemeal previews but I get why they are doing it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, it's irritating but it means people don't put in a dollar, get the entire text, then back out.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I pledged at 100, but then again it's my favorite game line

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Is Talecrafting part of the core rules this time around, and not stupid punishing to use?

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
It doesn't look like Talecrafting is in but it might be a stretch goal.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Talecrafting isn't too hard to adapt from 1e, either. My own view has been to have it have no cost - outside of Glamour - inside the Hedge, to reflect the Hedge's affinity with rhyme and unreason. That way, Changelings get up to big, ridiculous adventures inside the Hedge, essentially throwing themselves from plot hook to plot hook. The ST and players end up actively participating to shape the stories that happen there, with the player saying "Okay, I find a big mass of faerie gold!" and the ST going "Okay... And then it turns out it belongs to a group of goblin pirates who are in the middle of burying it when you stumble across it!".

It also adds this beautiful contrast later on, when, outside the Hedge, the Changeling finds that reality just... Is. It doesn't follow these weird-rear end rules. When bad things happen in threes, it turns out that a fourth bad thing can happen right after, not that fate is just setting up a nice big story for you. That is... Intensely uncomfortable; a reminder that Faerie might not be fair, but it's more fair than the Ironsides.

With the new Clarity-as-damage system, it sounds like restoring your Clarity might be easier too, so you might drop the "You become myopic and obsessed" in any direct manner and just have Talecrafting damage Clarity when done Ironsides, instead. The Changeling is actively inviting the Wyrd and Arcadia into the mundane, and that just isn't good for your grip on reality.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
What happens if you give a plant vitae.

...whay happens if you put vitae in your gas tank.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

crime fighting hog posted:

I once played a Tremere who was trying to answer that first question in order to breed a line of revenant rosebushes. Sadly the ST was not interested in actually answering my questions about that line of research.

Nothing weird happens to cars unless it's a Turbo Teen. If it's a Turbo Teen, it may just die, but there's a chance it'll become that rarest of monsters the Carbombination.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Respectively, mandragora in Requiem (plants that can be edible by vampires and carry some nutrition/effects of the plant so you can properly make blood wine and occult ingredients and poo poo), and according to the games I've been in, it allows for blood-powered nitro boosts if you tinker with the engine using Mad Science.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think ghouled plants actually got rules in one book for nVamp, but I forget which. They're not very useful.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

unseenlibrarian posted:

I once played a Tremere who was trying to answer that first question in order to breed a line of revenant rosebushes. Sadly the ST was not interested in actually answering my questions about that line of research.

Nothing weird happens to cars unless it's a Turbo Teen. If it's a Turbo Teen, it may just die, but there's a chance it'll become that rarest of monsters the Carbombination.

Dave, please list Turbo Teen as an inspiration source for Deviant.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

In Requiem you can get a mandragora out of it, which feed on Vitae (and can sometimes feed themselves) and create lacrima, a good-tasting sap-wine that vampires find highly addictive (it only fills as much as animal blood). It's poisonous to humans.

Gardens of it will help with Cruac rituals and other rites can alter them a bit, giving you massive Venus fly traps and huge ivy. As well as other things you can do with the Creation and Transmutation branches of Blood Sorcery.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nofather posted:

Gardens of it will help with Cruac rituals and other rites can alter them a bit, giving you massive Venus fly traps
Strange, carnivorous plants?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Sat for the changeling demo.

It was adorable and terrifying.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Real Ordo vampires brew that vamp-eating black mold to extract Vitae from, less effort than cultivating mandragora and more Ordo-Approved Fun with multiple uses for the appropriately cautious mold-owner.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Daeren posted:

Respectively, mandragora in Requiem (plants that can be edible by vampires and carry some nutrition/effects of the plant so you can properly make blood wine and occult ingredients and poo poo), and according to the games I've been in, it allows for blood-powered nitro boosts if you tinker with the engine using Mad Science.

The wizard van was amazing.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Rubix Squid posted:

The wizard van was amazing.

Did a wizard make the van or was the van a wizard?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Did a wizard make the van or was the van a wizard?

It was a panel van I stole from a used car lot because I'd totaled my previous car. When Rubix said it was a panel van, I immediately asked if there was a wizard airbrushed on it, and she said "sure, why not?"

That van became notorious across the region, because regularly driving over a hundred miles an hour in a panel van with an airbrushed mural of a wizard on it tends to get attention. Every time it got scratched, scuffed, banged up, or just crashed, I repainted the mural to full glory, occasionally changing what the wizard was doing. I'm pretty sure I declared that on one occasion he was playing electric guitar while surfing a meteor.

I wish I could say this one was actually in the game, but nah, I doodled this after a conversation explaining it segued.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I think the wizard was also riding a T-Rex at some. There was a lot of funhaving there, especially when Jean-Gary installed the bottled-lightning/energy-drink -infused-vitae turbo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's no reason a ghost wizard couldn't possess a van, if it comes down to it in the future.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I got the $60 tier for changeling, this is my first hardbound World of Darkness book from Kickstarter, anything I should be aware of?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I got the $60 tier for changeling, this is my first hardbound World of Darkness book from Kickstarter, anything I should be aware of?

Only that you shouldn't partake of a Kickstarter unless you're prepared to wait several years in more or less good humor, if that's how long it turns out to take.

Onyx Path pretty much always turns out a quality product in terms of the physical book, so I don't think you need to worry too much about that end of things.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Looking at the Changeling 2E Kickstarter led me to the Beast one and now I'm sad that there's not a tier of Changeling that gets you a free PDF corebook from another line :( What a cool offer.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I'm happy they're including the original Changeling books as an offer. I have hard copies, but they're such good books, having PDFs is nice too.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Sat for the changeling demo.

It was adorable and terrifying.

I wish to hear more.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Looking at the Changeling 2E Kickstarter led me to the Beast one and now I'm sad that there's not a tier of Changeling that gets you a free PDF corebook from another line :( What a cool offer.

There's a tier of Changeling that gets you the PDF corebooks of all the previous gamelines updated to second edition ("update" being the key word – for whatever reason, no Demon, no Beast). Can't pick and choose, sadly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I Am Just a Box posted:

There's a tier of Changeling that gets you the PDF corebooks of all the previous gamelines updated to second edition ("update" being the key word – for whatever reason, no Demon, no Beast). Can't pick and choose, sadly.

Whoa, totally missed that. A bit too rich for my blood though considering I have like half of those now - I really just want like Hunter or something. Is there a real Hunter 2E? Or is it just Mortal Remains updates?

Also - someone toss me some creepy Mage-related ideas that use those weird "elsagate" finger family children's Youtube spam videos, they're so insidious and weird that I really want to use them in a game but am still relearning the system too hard to know what really fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Also - someone toss me some creepy Mage-related ideas that use those weird "elsagate" finger family children's Youtube spam videos, they're so insidious and weird that I really want to use them in a game but am still relearning the system too hard to know what really fits.

That stuff just screams Abyss. Incoherent messages cobbled together from rejected pieces of actual children's media, leaking into our reality from an unknown source, trying to win over the most susceptible audiences and make them believe it's the real thing? No way that's not an Intruder.