Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Darth TNT posted:

Doesn’t seem unpopular. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone call it as anymore than an adequate movie. Looks good and You’ll likely have fun jf you’re the target audience, but other than Jack Black nothing will stick with you.

I remember a large consensus of, "If you don't like this, you hate fun and are a snob for expecting it to be anything other than exactly what it is, which is everything it needed to be." Like, strong enough that I held my tongue on my thoughts for a while.

I really, really enjoy dissecting movies and it clearly wasn't a movie for me. I don't think there's any problem with enjoying its successes, but people were getting irate about any criticisms on it. And to be fair, I might be mashing social media together on that attitude; it may not have been as much of a thing on SA.

mycot posted:

It was mostly a thing when the movie first came out and it got like a C average from critics (so about the same as the Minions movies or Despicable Me sequels) and it started off another spate of movie critic discourse.

Tbf a single scale rating system doesn't really allow for nuance like "I don't think this is a good movie by my standards but your kids will love it" .

Yeh, dis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Unrelated but Shape Island’s Halloween and Winter specials are available now on Apple +. Still haven’t seen the Halloween ep but the Yeti Day episode is pretty cute!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I know very little about Mario but I was a bit confused by people feeling letdown by the movie; is there any sort of plot to the games for them to adapt in the first place?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

YaketySass posted:

I know very little about Mario but I was a bit confused by people feeling letdown by the movie; is there any sort of plot to the games for them to adapt in the first place?

The Mario RPG games have done good story and character work. Even if they had not, it's not unreasonable to expect a movie adaptation to do that kind of work.

Lego don't have a plot, but the movies managed to be made with coherent scripts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YaketySass posted:

I dont like the games.

mystes
May 31, 2006

YaketySass posted:

I don't think anyone is saying they feel let down because it wasn't a faithful adaptation

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Took little one to watch Boy and the Heron in the only cinema within an hour showing it at all, after it released here on Boxing Day.

God it’s gorgeous. The first few minutes with the fire, the drawn out ghosts and the memory of Hima are haunting.

There was a point, where the ‘camera’ swoops up to capture the Heron in flight against the sun, that felt like Ghibli taking the piss.

The walk through the great hall and the balancing blocks were beautiful too.

God it’s a weird fever dream. There’s a disjointed and weightless feeling that evokes dreamscapes and worlds beyond worlds without falling on too many cliches, but it captured itself in little vignettes that felt like switching channels between episodes. Not that it’s bad for that in any way though. This film manages to evoke a sense of genuine joy at the wonder in a man-eating Parakeet entering heaven.

Pattinson does brilliantly in the dub, Bautista nearly steals the show with ten lines of dialogue.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
It certainly wouldn't work the same way (or be allowed by nintendo), but the toy Barbie doesn't have a plot and llook at thhe plot (and success) of that movie. Of coure there are also like 50 direct to dvd/streaming barbie movies of questionable quality.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Das Boo posted:

I remember a large consensus of, "If you don't like this, you hate fun and are a snob for expecting it to be anything other than exactly what it is, which is everything it needed to be." Like, strong enough that I held my tongue on my thoughts for a while.

I really, really enjoy dissecting movies and it clearly wasn't a movie for me. I don't think there's any problem with enjoying its successes, but people were getting irate about any criticisms on it. And to be fair, I might be mashing social media together on that attitude; it may not have been as much of a thing on SA.

Yeh, dis.

I mean, the issue wasn't criticisms towards the movie per se, it's that the movies existence and success were some kind of artistic affront and desecration of the medium as well as very bizarre takes that the movie looked bad or was poorly animated which are...takes I guess.

This review is my go to about what I mean. The Double Toasted guys would be the opposite. They gave what sounded like a C, C+, or B- at absolute best and had many of the criticisms brought up and that it didn't tick a lot of their artistic boxes, but that they found it fun and did like it and had a good time with their families.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nikumatic posted:

The Mario Movie is absolutely goddamn gorgeous so it's worth watching on a pure "I enjoy this animation" level even though it is barely even coherent as a loose string of vignettes.

Illumination probably doesn't get the credit they deserve for the visuals, I've heard them praised for the physical comedy and classic cartoon gags. The movie's a pretty much constant stream of easter eggs and references showing they genuinely researched the hell out of the games and built the movie around them. It's pretty much the opposite tack of the 92 movie (despite clearly using it for inspiration and having references to it, lawl) in being a love letter to the series first and foremost rather than trying to do its own thing.

Of course, with all that effort put in, it's a bit more egregious that they had to make it such a thin plot. Then again apparently Illumination execs insisted on the literal placeholder needle drops, so I suppose it coulda been worse.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Illumination probably doesn't get the credit they deserve for the visuals, I've heard them praised for the physical comedy and classic cartoon gags. The movie's a pretty much constant stream of easter eggs and references showing they genuinely researched the hell out of the games and built the movie around them. It's pretty much the opposite tack of the 92 movie (despite clearly using it for inspiration and having references to it, lawl) in being a love letter to the series first and foremost rather than trying to do its own thing.

Of course, with all that effort put in, it's a bit more egregious that they had to make it such a thin plot. Then again apparently Illumination execs insisted on the literal placeholder needle drops, so I suppose it coulda been worse.

Having heard the music Brian Tyler made for those scene's STILL pisses me the gently caress off that they axed those songs. And I do agree that the movie could have done more with a good 15 to 20 minutes of run time to flesh some things out more.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 29, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weirdly reminded, possibly because it's taken the opposite route from movies to games, of Robocop: Rogue City, a shockingly decent game by a developer that's mostly done shovelware, where it looks like they basically built the game specifically around the idea of playing as Robocop and everything flowed from there, and it turned out to work pretty well. Being slavishly devoted is actually a pretty valid way to make an adaptation, so long as you commit to the bit and meet the priorities of the medium halfway. A lot of people seem to come in thinking they can Do It Better than a silly little video game for babies and end up falling flat on their face from the arrogance.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly reminded, possibly because it's taken the opposite route from movies to games, of Robocop: Rogue City, a shockingly decent game by a developer that's mostly done shovelware, where it looks like they basically built the game specifically around the idea of playing as Robocop and everything flowed from there, and it turned out to work pretty well. Being slavishly devoted is actually a pretty valid way to make an adaptation, so long as you commit to the bit and meet the priorities of the medium halfway. A lot of people seem to come in thinking they can Do It Better than a silly little video game for babies and end up falling flat on their face from the arrogance.

This is one of my biggest concerns with the...Oscarfication of games ESPECIALLY when it comes to stuff like the VGA's and whatnot. There's this unhealthy drive for games to be more like movies in terms of...something, and stuff that fails to meet those standards tends to get disregarded if not outright denigrated. TotK and Spiderman 2 got a bit of this with them being sequels and being regarded as "$70 dlc's" by the terminally online morons. This isn't to say they were flawless and perfect, but the smug and pretentious elitism was really unpleasant. I feel that animation gets this at times where some critics treat anything that's not Disney/Pixar or other highbrow animated film as just some other movie they're getting paid to review. This isn't to say that you CAN'T tell more complex and deeper themes films, but that sometimes you just wanna make a big dumb fun movie of just in general something cool and fun without any real deeper meaning to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

It’s legit a better movie than the new one.
CP, we may disagree vehemently on a lot of things, but on this, we are brothers

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Captain Invictus posted:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Yeh, dis.

I think that sort of angry comeback comes up for any sort of large media property. Hell, with any sort of massively popular thing. But especially with... well to put it frankly, nerd poo poo. Stuff like superhero movies or other large multimedia franchises. There's an somewhat infamous meme about "letting people enjoy things" that gets used a lot on Twitter and other spaces as a rebuttal to criticism about a lot of big budget movies/games/etc (ironically the actual comic it's clipped from is about a pretentious guy hating on football, a thing a lot of those same nerds love to rag on because they never got over high school don't like it). It's a mentality people have when they start to associate their personality with a brand. I like superhero movies, so if you criticize Avengers Endgame it is a personal affront to me; or in this case, I am a gamer, so the Mario movie cannot be bad. I mean it has references to things I like from the games! The meme itself gets used to the point where the original artist got sick of it and made a follow-up comic about killing it.

...sorry I kind of went off on a tangent there. ALL THAT SAID, I think people were really wildly defending it because it looked very pretty and yes the "I saw it and I clapped" reactions to references definitely helped it. Also the bar for video game adaptations is still really low even with the past few years producing some stuff that is decent to actually good depending on your opinion. So Mario being like a 6/10 movie is a 8.5/10 video game movie.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 29, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Football is a bloodsport and people should be shamed for liking it. That said, otherwise I agree with that post

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Mario also got a big box office boost for being the first big PG for families with young children release in 4/5 months.

Disney is making a smart movie dropping those re-releases in early part of the year family movie dead zone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sonic the Hedgehog also cleaned up with a Valentine's Day release iirc. Which was not the original plan, of course.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
However the Sonic movie also built real relationships between some of it's characters - that those characters were Dr Robotnik and Mr Stone is weird, but it was there and it continued into Sonic 2 in a really weirdly cute way as it's clear that while he doesn't respect him intellectually, Robotnik does value Stone as a friend and misses him when he's not around. Even when going mad with power after getting the master emerald and becoming Master Robotnik (that's my name anyway) in the second movie he still brings Stone along to help.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It being continued in Sonic 2 in a weirdly cute way was pretty much because they took into account audience reactions to the first movie and the dynamic between those two was very well-liked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It really works, I think it helps that Dr Robotnik/Eggman is always the best part of anything Sonic, and it makes sense to give him someone to play off, as many different media do. Agent Stone's loyalty gives an interesting dynamic different from say, Orbot and Cubot's resigned snark, Scratch and Grounder's dopiness and Snively's treachery, (apparently has some precedent with the UK comics I don't know much about) but still works in its own way.

There actually was an interquel comic by the Archie/IDW crew in the movie-verse, and funny thing it establishes that Robotnik does respect Stone's intelligence as much as he's capable of respecting anyone's besides himself, and it shows how he left Stone the plans and technology to establish a ready-made lair for him once he managed to return.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Captain Invictus posted:

It’s a deeply dope movie with weird cool ideas and interesting visuals

Plus an Alan silvestri score? Yesssir thank you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah just imagine trying to make a script out of the loving Super Mario Bros NES game.

like. you could go in a way, way darker direction with the instruction manual story bit of how the bricks in mario are actually Toads transformed into blocks by bowser, which means every time you smash a block you're murdering someone, but otherwise you've got a plumber running right and jumping on turtles, occasionally grabbing an axe and knocking an even bigger turtle into lava to rescue a princess. not much to go on there tbh, so I love that they just winged it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah just imagine trying to make a script out of the loving Super Mario Bros NES game.

like. you could go in a way, way darker direction with the instruction manual story bit of how the bricks in mario are actually Toads transformed into blocks by bowser, which means every time you smash a block you're murdering someone, but otherwise you've got a plumber running right and jumping on turtles, occasionally grabbing an axe and knocking an even bigger turtle into lava to rescue a princess. not much to go on there tbh, so I love that they just winged it

The cartoon managed to make more out of it. By the time the movie was in development they had everything up to Super Mario World to work with. Everyone was pretty much expecting a fantasy romp pretty similar to what the animated movie ended up being, the cyberpunk angle was specifically just the directors' insistence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno if I'd use the super mario cartoon as an example of making good use of it tbh, that poo poo was dreadful

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean yes, but frankly, it was pretty on par with most of its peers, the 80s is some serious nostalgia goggles territory.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean yes, but frankly, it was pretty on par with most of its peers, the 80s is some serious nostalgia goggles territory.

Yes, this. There's some fun elements, but lot of the 80s- early 90s are just not great. The stuff that isn't a 30-minute commercial or weirdly sanitized spins off violent video games/action movies were both hampered by absurd Standards and Practices, or the idea that children are morons who can't remember things, and the blessing of not being really able to marathon those shows back to back unless your parents really spoil you by letting you record it all on VHS

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Robindaybird posted:

Yes, this. There's some fun elements, but lot of the 80s- early 90s are just not great. The stuff that isn't a 30-minute commercial or weirdly sanitized spins off violent video games/action movies were both hampered by absurd Standards and Practices, or the idea that children are morons who can't remember things, and the blessing of not being really able to marathon those shows back to back unless your parents really spoil you by letting you record it all on VHS

Some of the mid-90s stuff is better about that, like I got around to binging Rocko's Modern Life and it has consistent arcs throughout the show, especially for Heffer and the Bigheads. Heffer's arc is the most satisfying in the show and I love how the Bigheads resolve (with Bev going to Ed's job when he has a mental breakdown, helping the company fix a lot of it's problems then taking Ed on a vacation)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno if I'd use the super mario cartoon as an example of making good use of it tbh, that poo poo was dreadful

Depends on which cartoon you mean.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
bluigi

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My thoughts on The Boy And The Heron are that it made me want to go watch my favorite Miyazaki films instead. It's not a bad movie but things in it kept reminding me of other things in his other movies, all of which I enjoyed more on their own terms. A whole bunch of really amazing stuff, though, I'm particularly enamored with the parakeets (I need a gif of that long vertical panning shot of their little bird society asap).

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BioEnchanted posted:

Some of the mid-90s stuff is better about that, like I got around to binging Rocko's Modern Life and it has consistent arcs throughout the show, especially for Heffer and the Bigheads. Heffer's arc is the most satisfying in the show and I love how the Bigheads resolve (with Bev going to Ed's job when he has a mental breakdown, helping the company fix a lot of it's problems then taking Ed on a vacation)

Rocko remains a kickass cartoon and you can tell how much the crew cared about it by all the extra pizazz put into the entire production. Their interviews excitedly discuss where their ideas came from, they lovingly discuss the characters, the little eccentricities of the designs... And then the movie embraced all of that love and told an extremely kind and relevant story that felt true to all they established before it.

It's a very good show.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Schwarzwald posted:

Depends on which cartoon you mean.

God that movie had such a lovely rear end ending. Everything else was great about it though.

Luigi being a proto Wario was not what I was expecting.

Regarding the criticisms with the Mario movie. I think it was just a build up to other movies people were wanting to see come out and RT would give that movie a bad score and the general audience reaction was no shut up it's good.
So yeah the bar for the Mario movie was low. Especially with Illumination being behind it. I want to think people went with very low expectations and were pleasantly surprised it was ok. To me the movie was alright, wished it cut down on the slow motions, let certain scene breathe (I mean it felt really fast paced trying to get thru things quickly) and not plug in overplayed music in it that felt unnecessary, ie I need a hero, take on me, etc. (which seems to be what illumination likes to do)

I went in pretty much just to see Jack Black performance as Bowser and Charlie Day as Luigi (sadly not enough screen time).

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 29, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

The mid-90s once the golden age of Nick, Disney Afternoon and Cartoon Network gets going is pretty much a completely different world. It's kinda funny seeing the process, mind, og DuckTales could probably be seen as the prototype for 90s cartoons, and The Bots Master is nothing if not clearly a transitional fossil between the 80s and 90s.

Weirdly enough the Mario cartoon also had (covers of) big-name licensed songs out of nowhere, actual Thriller in the Halloween episode. And animation all over the place, like one episode has an Indiana Jones riff who has no face apparently because of an animation error.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Thinking more about the Mario movie, one thing I'll give it a ton of credit for is being animated the whole time. I mean it shouldn't be hard but you look at its most obvious contemporary, the Sonic movies, and Sonic & co. are in the drat real world. I mean, it's in the backstory that Mario and Luigi are from the real world so I can definitely imagine a version of the movie where the first part is in live action before the brothers go to the Mushroom Kingdom. So like, bullet dodged. Yet another way they jumped the super-low bar and got a ton of praise.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Finally got around to watching Klaus.

What a fun, lovely movie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BioEnchanted posted:

honestly Rocko's Modern Life feels like it was always aimed at an older crowd, and as said, there's a lot of passion. But yeah by the early-mid 90s you got people who actually somewhat respect the audience they're writing for, or the toons aren't actually for children but put into the children's category.

But lot of the 80s shows were either 24 to 26-minute toy commercials, or trying badly to shoehorn a moral message (like how you should always agree with your friends, or else you're a bad, bad person - unless it's drugs, then drugs are bad mmkay?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC a lot of those messages were actively forced by parents groups, including having a designated complainer who was always wrong and made to conform to group consensus. Even back then they were riffing on that; the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon apparently had the whiny cavalier often raise good points that other characters ignores, and GI Joe's 'Cobra TV' episode comes off as a pretty hilarious pisstake of moral messaging in cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC a lot of those messages were actively forced by parents groups, including having a designated complainer who was always wrong and made to conform to group consensus. Even back then they were riffing on that; the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon apparently had the whiny cavalier often raise good points that other characters ignores, and GI Joe's 'Cobra TV' episode comes off as a pretty hilarious pisstake of moral messaging in cartoons.

Buddy Bears!

But yeah everyone noticed this poo poo and riffed it when they could.