Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I mean all of you are very right and all, but I still wanted to bitch and moan a little.
Pic of helmet:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Just bought a Shoei RF-1200 to replace my RF-1100 that is lol old. Got the black and hi-viz model that matches my riding suit, so I'm not officially uncle hi-viz. $450 for a helmet hurts tho.

Shut your facehole mine cost $650 on clearance.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

:asoiaf:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And just btw that was with my mum buying it for me in australia because NZ prices were another couple of hundred on top of that :sun:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

And just btw that was with my mum buying it for me in australia because NZ prices were another couple of hundred on top of that :sun:

I'm so sorry you're trapped on that hellhole.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
But is he really trapped?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Rode about 3.5 today with some various retail stops and sight seeing. Probably 130-150 miles or so, in my alpinestars SP-2 gloves, which are black with white, red and high viz accents.

There are these weird purple blotches on the red and white areas, it looks like my sweat made the black dye bleed into the lighter colors? Pretty frustrating, Ive only had them a few months. Anyone else had a similar issue? I will probably contact Alpinestars directly about it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's basically unavoidable. I've had everything from high end dainese to cheapo astars do it. Eventually the transfers will get fainter, but it still happens after heavy rain.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My three year old Alpinestars gloves that have survived two crashes still leech dye onto my hands after every ride.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ah, bummer. I would have probably just bought black if I had known that, the red in particular looks super lovely. I mean, they function fine so whatever but its pretty annoying.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Tardy to the party on this one, but I mounted mine on the front of my AGV helmet which has a fairly pointy chin. The curved GoPro mount had a fair amount of gap on either side, and I filled in the area with this stuff they sell at Lowe'd called Sugru. It's a moldable glue that cures to basically rock-hard overnight. It's held up just fine.

Hah, I found that blog post about Sugru too. Works great.

I'm using a smaller arm than you though:

Works great:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

But is he really trapped?

Until they give me a citizenship so I can get a passport and gently caress off somewhere else, yes I'm trapped. I suppose I could learn solo trans-oceanic sailing but I'd only really be able to go to countries with no coast guard/no fucks given.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slavvy posted:

Ya, I just picked up a Shoei GT-Air for the quaint sum of $940.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Sagebrush posted:

450 bucks for the most critical piece of gear there is, the thing that will save your life in an accident, is not really that bad.
It's impossible to know if I'd have had the same result with a different helmet, but the fact that my RF-1200 downgraded an assured death to a 3 day coma is enough to cement my policy of only ever wearing Shoei or Arai

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Shimrod posted:

Ya, I just picked up a Shoei GT-Air for the quaint sum of $940.

And AUD$900 here for my Arai Profile.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think I'm going to grab an rf1200 eventually. I've not heard a bad thing about it. Will have to buy a secondary visor for it which bumps the cost up but so it goes.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been riding for a few weeks now, about 250 miles total so far. I got my first helmet, a Scorpion EXO R410, mostly because it was on sale & I just needed something for my class.

After riding with it for a while I've quickly come to dislike it. I'm a pretty thin guy at 5'11" and 145 lbs. It has that orange on a popsicle stick thing going on with my frame. With that size comes weight too. I've been reading about it more and it seems to be a well regarded helmet, but is known for being bulky & heavy. And it's matte black which I also don't like, but that's why it was on sale.

Should I suck it up with what I've got for the time being & get more use out of it? Or should I go check out the RF 1200 that's on sale for $440 up the street?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My first helmet was an exo-400, and now I have an rf1200. The difference between the two is night and day. If you are willing to spend the money, buy the Shoei and just hold onto the EXO as a spare or something.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tree Dude posted:

I think I'm going to grab an rf1200 eventually. I've not heard a bad thing about it. Will have to buy a secondary visor for it which bumps the cost up but so it goes.

You can get a photochromic visor that automatically transitions from clear to tinted. I haven't purchased it yet, but it's on my list of things to buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoei-Shield-CWR-1-PHOTOCHROMIC-photochromic/dp/B017XHWKZU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Fender posted:

I've been riding for a few weeks now, about 250 miles total so far. I got my first helmet, a Scorpion EXO R410, mostly because it was on sale & I just needed something for my class.

After riding with it for a while I've quickly come to dislike it. I'm a pretty thin guy at 5'11" and 145 lbs. It has that orange on a popsicle stick thing going on with my frame. With that size comes weight too. I've been reading about it more and it seems to be a well regarded helmet, but is known for being bulky & heavy. And it's matte black which I also don't like, but that's why it was on sale.

Should I suck it up with what I've got for the time being & get more use out of it? Or should I go check out the RF 1200 that's on sale for $440 up the street?

All helmets look big if you're a skinny person. I'm about your size and an RF-1200 still looks a little bobbly.

The RF-1200 is a great helmet, but there's no harm in sticking with your other one. My rule is generally "buy the helmet you'll wear." If the Scorpion is so bad that you don't want to put it on to ride, then get something else. If it's just annoying, then decide what your financial situation is and when to upgrade. I can tell you that you won't regret the RF-1200, assuming they fit the same way as Scorpions (which I've never tried).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I doubt the exterior size of any helmet will be that drastically different from the exor410 to make you not look like a lollipop.

Don't worry about it. I'm 5'6" and probably look like a super deformed gundam in my helmet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Got my first fancy bro helmet last year, Arai Vector, on hella discount from our distributor guy. Still expensive by my standards. Absolutely love that helmet, though. Feels fantastic. Only complaints: it's a bit noisy (but that doesn't matter much cause I wear earplugs) and the visor change procedure is the most asinine difficult thing you can imagine.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Literally the only reason for me to change my helmet right now would be to get a transition lens. That would be amazing.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Speaking of Helmet chat -- what do you guys use to clean your helmets? Do any of you recommend a spray/foam cleaner, or is it better to just use baby shampoo and water with the liner removed.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Fishvilla posted:

Speaking of Helmet chat -- what do you guys use to clean your helmets? Do any of you recommend a spray/foam cleaner, or is it better to just use baby shampoo and water with the liner removed.

For the visor I use Plexus, it works fantastic. For the rest of the helmet I just ride in the rain.

The liner... I've only cleaned once. It currently smells like a fruit roll up so I probably need to do it again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hand wash with gentle soap for the liner, it wasn't much effort.

I wouldn't imagine that a spray could do anything to get grease/dirt buildup out without removing and rinsing the liner, they're fine for the exterior though.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
I rode down & checked out the RF 1200 at lunch. And now I own one.

Everything about it was better. Fits better, lighter, quieter And the anti-fog thing is far far more effective. The outer shell is also more narrow than the Scorpion so it eased my orange on a popsicle stick thing. And I was able to get it in a nice safe white color. As soon as I put it on I was sold on how much of an improvement it is.

And now I've got a rock solid backup/spare/passenger helmet in the Scorpion.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey my first Shoei was white as well. :hf:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

White helmet krew :respek:

Liners get handwashed with regular detergent. Wet shoprag (hot water) to unstick bugs off shell. Handwash visor w/ a lil bit of hand soap.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fender posted:

After riding with it for a while I've quickly come to dislike it. I'm a pretty thin guy at 5'11" and 145 lbs. It has that orange on a popsicle stick thing going on with my frame. With that size comes weight too. I've been reading about it more and it seems to be a well regarded helmet, but is known for being bulky & heavy.

The R410 is heavy not because of size, but because they're a cheap entry level helmet. All cheap helmets will be heavy, and also usually loud and not very well ventilated. More expensive helmets like Shoeis and Arais (especially their higher end models) will be much lighter, as well as having better ventilation, but all helmets are going to be bulky on you and not much different in size, since they have to have enough room between the outer shell and your head for an inch+ of EPS foam.

The solution is to buy a good riding jacket and pants with a bunch of padding and armour in them to make the rest of your body look similarly bulky and then you too can join the Dainese Space Lord crew. :science:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

MomJeans420 posted:

You can get a photochromic visor that automatically transitions from clear to tinted. I haven't purchased it yet, but it's on my list of things to buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoei-Shield-CWR-1-PHOTOCHROMIC-photochromic/dp/B017XHWKZU

I don't trust the technology for my glasses. I hear the transition tends to be slow and doesn't get to fully clear. I might be okay with that for a visor though I'll have to think on it. That helmet seems hilariously easy to swap visors on though so maybe I'll just go with the stock and a dark smoke and save myself 90 bucks or whatever.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 1, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Tree Dude posted:

That helmet seems hilariously easy to swap visors on though so maybe I'll just go with the stock and a dark smoke and save myself 90 bucks or whatever.
Shoei and Arai visors can be changed in about 5 seconds with some practice. I could do my RF-1000 in <7 seconds with the helmet on my head, but the mechanism the RF1100/1200 use is actually slower. Arai is actually probably under 3 seconds if you're good at it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Tree Dude posted:

I don't trust the technology for my glasses. I hear the transition tends to be slow and doesn't get to fully clear. I might be okay with that for a visor though I'll have to think on it. That helmet seems hilariously easy to swap visors on though so maybe I'll just go with the stock and a dark smoke and save myself 90 bucks or whatever.

I've seen the transition shield in person, and it works pretty quickly. All the people I sold them to (of the ones that actually gave us feedback) were very happy. Our distributor was constantly out of stock because they were so popular.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i wash my liner in the washing machine with everything else cause i'm lazy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

I've seen the transition shield in person, and it works pretty quickly. All the people I sold them to (of the ones that actually gave us feedback) were very happy. Our distributor was constantly out of stock because they were so popular.

Have they fixed the problem with the old Reactolite coatings where the level of darkening was quite reliant on the angle of the light hitting it? I'd have thought that would be a problem (mostly a distraction though) with a coating that curves through 180 degrees.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Pulled the trigger on the 1200 too because I wanted it and everyone else was doing it! Tried one on on the way home from work and it fit great. Much better than the GT-Air. I expected them to fit similarly. Didn't go with the transition shield. It was like over 100 dollars difference and that's just crazy talk. Even 60 bux seems like a lot for a face shield replacement.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rf1200 party time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

Shoei and Arai visors can be changed in about 5 seconds with some practice. I could do my RF-1000 in <7 seconds with the helmet on my head, but the mechanism the RF1100/1200 use is actually slower. Arai is actually probably under 3 seconds if you're good at it.

Arai goes under 3 seconds once you accept that feeling like you're breaking the helmet is just how it's done.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

The Shoei is great, but I think I got a size too small. It squishes my cheeks together, and when I took it off today, I had impressions of the lining pattern on my skin :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

HogX posted:

The Shoei is great, but I think I got a size too small. It squishes my cheeks together, and when I took it off today, I had impressions of the lining pattern on my skin :v:

Thats normal. They will break in. Put them under your mattress or some books for a night if you wanna speed up the process. If they're still too tight you can get thinner ones.

Besides the cheeks, how does the helmet feel around the crown of your head?